Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

where does one "Google" on Chrome?

the "home" icon is 1 click more than in others browsers...right?

Right in the 'address' bar

It will see the spaces and figure out it's not a valid URL or if it has none, it will simply try to resolve it and if it fails, it will Google it (or use whatever search engine you set it to).
  • Reply 82 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I like Chrome and am glad it's finally on the Mac side. Safari is good too but it annoys me how I can't tell the browser to open links in tabs automatically without having to right-click and click open in tab. You can set Chrome to do it automatically which is one of my favorite features.

I do wish it had the flash blocking capability of Firefox's plugin or built-in like Camino. I tried Camino out and liked it except for the fact that when scrolling thru web pages the text looks really bad and it doesn't scroll as smoothly as Safari does.

Just like cars, there is no perfect one. At least any of these options are way better than slow IE.

You can open tabs in safari by hitting command & T.

once the first tab is open, you can click the empty space next to it to open a new tab. It requires a double click, but works.
  • Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

You can open tabs in safari by hitting command & T.

once the first tab is open, you can click the empty space next to it to open a new tab. It requires a double click, but works.

You can also set Safari to always show the tab bar, which is easier. Just select it from the View menu. That way it displays even with a single tab open.
  • Reply 84 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can also set Safari to always show the tab bar, which is easier. Just select it from the View menu. That way it displays even with a single tab open.

NICE! I didn't know that.

As for Chrome, I'm of two minds. I see several people here slamming it and it may be apt to do so, but I can't say. I won't even put firefox on my mac and I'm actually afraid to use anything besides safari.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you asking where the search bar is? If so, it?s the same as the path bar just like in Firefox 3?s user named ?Awesome Bar?.

oh i see

thx
  • Reply 86 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Look, I'm gonna cut to the chase here:

Most of the p0rn pages I frequent don't display correctly in Chrome.

End of story.

(Bangbus seems to work okay, however.)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
  • Reply 87 of 110
    I Know I sound like a nube, but HOW exactly do you play youtube videos in quicktime? The URL function doesn't recognize youtube URLs.....
  • Reply 88 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I Know I sound like a nube, but HOW exactly do you play youtube videos in quicktime? The URL function doesn't recognize youtube URLs.....

You can?t just use the webpage link in the standalone Quicktime browser. You?ll need the actual link to the video file, which can be hidden in the HTML. The method I see most used to play YouTube videos in QuickTime and to also DL YouTube videos is with ClickToFlash, which allows you to deactivate Flash from loading in Safari.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    Quote:

You can?t just use the webpage link in the standalone Quicktime browser. You?ll need the actual link to the video file, which can be hidden in the HTML. The method I see most used to play YouTube videos in QuickTime and to also DL YouTube videos is with ClickToFlash, which allows you to deactivate Flash from loading in Safari.

Well, I have click to flash, but I don't understand how to use ti to play flash videos in quicktime or even DL flash videos.

I am completely lost....
  • Reply 90 of 110
    Quote:

wait, I think I got it. It only works with HD videos, doesn't it?
  • Reply 91 of 110
    Quote:

wait, I think I got it. It only works with HD videos, doesn't it?

No, it works with any youtube video. Just change the settings so that it uses quicktime. You should see a gear in the upper left corner of the gray flash window. Click on that to enter the settings
  • Reply 92 of 110
    Quote:

No, it works with any youtube video. Just change the settings so that it uses quicktime. You should see a gear in the upper left corner of the gray flash window. Click on that to enter the settings

Usig this video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/exoticsr.../0/3UfCR9V1QSU

I click the gear and only get basic settings. I don't get an option to load in quicktime from the gear.

I get:

Load Flash

Load all on this page

Add you tube to whitelist

Click2flash settings

There is no option to open in safari in a normal flash video under settings, so what am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Quote:

Usig this video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/exoticsr.../0/3UfCR9V1QSU

I click the gear and only get basic settings. I don't get an option to load in quicktime from the gear.

I get:

Load Flash

Load all on this page

Add you tube to whitelist

Click2flash settings

There is no option to open in safari in a normal flash video under settings, so what am I doing wrong?

Click the gear and then select "ClickToFlash Settings"

You should see an option under the Settings menu to "Load H.264 videos from YouTube". That will force the video to open in Quicktime. Optionally, select the "Load HD Videos" option to force it to always look to see if there is a higher resolution video available on YouTube and use that instead.

The interface will still play within the web page just like a regular flash video, but you should notice that the player has the QuicktimeX black color instead of the Flash gray player. The Flash window should also show "H.264" at the center of the video before you click Play, instead of "Flash".
  • Reply 94 of 110
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Anyone else having PDF problems - doesn't load them & crashes the whole program, not just the open tab. This is worse that the previous non-beta (? alpha) version
  • Reply 95 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Anyone else having PDF problems - doesn't load them & crashes the whole program, not just the open tab. This is worse that the previous non-beta (? alpha) version

This is the first beta. Try to keep that in mind.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I'm aware of that - just seeing if this is an issue for others?
  • Reply 97 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

I'm aware of that - just seeing if this is an issue for others?

I would think you'd want to report problems on the Chrome website. Seems more logical to look there.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    Quote:

Click the gear and then select "ClickToFlash Settings"

You should see an option under the Settings menu to "Load H.264 videos from YouTube". That will force the video to open in Quicktime. Optionally, select the "Load HD Videos" option to force it to always look to see if there is a higher resolution video available on YouTube and use that instead.

The interface will still play within the web page just like a regular flash video, but you should notice that the player has the QuicktimeX black color instead of the Flash gray player. The Flash window should also show "H.264" at the center of the video before you click Play, instead of "Flash".

Well, I have all of those enabled. So apparently, if it's only flash and no H.264 is available, then it's still playing in quicktime, it just looks like it's playin in a regular youtube window?

Also, that means it can't be downloaded, right? Because right now I can only download HD videos.....
  • Reply 99 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Do you have the latest version?
  • Reply 100 of 110
    Quote:

Do you have the latest version?

I only just downloaded it yesterday when I saw you post it.