Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    You mean like syncing your iPhone to Google for free, instead?

Done by ticking a box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

There are far more useful features like background synching of calendar/contacts without having to pay $100 for mobile me.

As far as "no difference" you obviously no nothing about hardware, CPU's, graphics chips etc.

Yes, after you set the time on your alarm you go back to exactly where you left off in Safari, if you are reading through a column you open at the same place.

The "multitasking myth" is one of the most hyped things of all time among iPhone detractors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I had an iPhone from launch to until I bought the 3GS. I know what I was buying, and all it was was hype. The previous two phones were excellent, and the 3GS is a good phone, but not a step forward.

My God! moving pictures, like you mean video? That just proves my earlier post, it was being done years before, yet you all soak it up like it's a revolution.

I see a lot of people here dismissing the multi-tasking argument. It is a step forward, and no, the iphone does NOT multi task. I don't mean having 15 different applications open, if you need that go home and turn on your computer. Here is an example - I was browsing eBay on my Palm Pre, and I saw a listing that I wanted to set an alarm for so I would remember to dive in for a bid at the death. I checked the time on the screen and went out and set the alarm. I then flicked back and continued reading the listing, making sure it was worth a bid. Simple, and far more useful than what its given credit for. Can the 3rd gen iPhone do that simple task? No, it cant. If I come out i"m back at my bookmarks and starting the whole browsing process back over again. Little things, but on here you are all so bloody blind you will never admit it. "I can listen to music while I browse the web". Can you reply to a mail while you watch a film? Or even a text?

• Reply 262 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As far as "no difference" you obviously no nothing about hardware, CPU's, graphics chips etc.

The "multitasking myth" is one of the most hyped things of all time among iPhone detractors.

The same to you about spelling. I kid, I kid.

Multitasking is hyped about as much as the "can do voice and data at the same time" comment. Are both useful? Yes. Does a phone on Verizon that can't do data and voice at the same time (without WiFi) instantly cripple it? No. Does the iPhone not being able to multitask third-party apps cripple it? No.

We're make it seem that either feature is something of so much importance as to be a reason to call the other phone useless for not being able to do it. We're really just waving our swords at each other here.
  • Reply 263 of 278
    Quote:

You mean like syncing your iPhone to Google for free, instead?

Done by ticking a box.

Yes, after you set the time on your alarm you go back to exactly where you left off in Safari, if you are reading through a column you open at the same place.

I notice you avoided the video question, and the point. You have to close down Safari to open another app. Then close that app down to re-open the previous app in order to continue with your task. I used to work in a bar, and there they called it double-handling, or in common parlance, wasting time and energy.

Dont make such idiotic statements like I know nothing about this or that. Anyone can read and understand the specs of the phones and appreciate the difference. The phone looks the same, no change, it is faster yes, but not blindingly so. For all the talk about GPU and graphics rendering, it's still doing it all on a 320x480 screen, which is miles behind most new phones. And those videos look tremendous at night. Along with those pictures.

Beano.
  • Reply 264 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I notice you avoided the video question, and the point. You have to close down Safari to open another app. Then close that app down to re-open the previous app in order to continue with your task.

You aren?t making any sense and using semantics incorrectly to the point that one might be inclined to consider you a troll.

While Safari is loading a page you can switch to other apps and when return to Safari the page is loaded. It doesn?t have to reload the page like you do when you close out a web browser on the desktop. This means that there are processes for Safari still running in the background, just as there are processes for many other apps still running in the background while I perform other tasks.

Your other examples of being able to write an email while watching a movie are completely asinine. If you are not simply trolling then you?ll be kind enough to tell us how you think this should be done on a 3.5" display.
  • Reply 265 of 278
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:

You're correct. Because like MMS, tethering, and 3rd party apps, it has been a standard feature on "smart" phones for years. So naturally, one would assume that the world's best, most innovative smart phone of all time would at least support standard features.

One would also think the 3GS with "twice the speed" and its advanced (non-removable) battery system could competently handle multitasking without imploding. Perhaps the issue here is more about control than technology?

With the Droid, I can take a call while using Navigator and it will continue to speak upcoming turns in the background behind my conversation, completely unknown to the person on the other end. Or I can stream online radio while using Navigator, and even quickly check out a new e-mail without missing a beat (or a turn). All the while, that Weather.com widget on my home screen is showing the weather for my current location (via GPS) and will put an alert in the menu bar if any serious weather alerts come through. None of this may be game-changing, but it is very practical.

Yet my battery still lasts all day and my phone has yet to slow down, much less melt down. So it seems to me that the "myth" here is completely Apple's...
  • Reply 266 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Umm... Read my last two posts on your comments about RIM and China and India and the QWERTY keyboard. You're not completely innocent of what you say above yourself.

like I said before, it still a production fail with a hardware keyboard. And they are only going after businesses, only recently they have announced to launch in the major cities.

Let's see how they sell, and they have not outsold the iphone....they have just recently been OK'd to be able to sell them. They still have to build specialized handsets....so proves my earlier point that making multiple devices to do the same exact same thing is poor planning and strategy which further confuses the end consumer. Apple has to disable the wifi, which will probably change later, vs. having to build a special phone for another market.

http://tech2.in.com/india/news/smart...n-china/8553/0

http://www.digitaltrends.com/interna...erry-to-china/

Please show me where Blackberry has sold one phone in China before the Iphone was released....saying Blackberry has been selling for years vs. planning for 8 years is not the same.....
  • Reply 267 of 278
    If I bought a Milestone (the droid isn't available here) the the navigator would say nothing as voice is only available in the U.S, so what happens when the cache runs out?

Do you hang up the call and wait for a reload or stop the car and continue the call?

Whichever way you put it controlled multitasking is still multitasking and controlled multitasking is what the iPhone does.

The screen resolution is like many other things we've seen over the years, as other manufacturers have bought out higher resolution screens all of a sudden it becomes an issue where previously it wasn't even mentioned.

Come back when the Droid/milestone sells twenty million.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

You're correct. Because like MMS, tethering, and 3rd party apps, it has been a standard feature on "smart" phones for years. So naturally, one would assume that the world's best, most innovative smart phone of all time would at least support standard features.

One would also think the 3GS with "twice the speed" and its advanced (non-removable) battery system could competently handle multitasking without imploding. Perhaps the issue here is more about control than technology?

With the Droid, I can take a call while using Navigator and it will continue to speak upcoming turns in the background behind my conversation, completely unknown to the person on the other end. Or I can stream online radio while using Navigator, and even quickly check out a new e-mail without missing a beat (or a turn). All the while, that Weather.com widget on my home screen is showing the weather for my current location (via GPS) and will put an alert in the menu bar if any serious weather alerts come through. None of this may be game-changing, but it is very practical.

Yet my battery still lasts all day and my phone has yet to slow down, much less melt down. So it seems to me that the "myth" here is completely Apple's...

• Reply 268 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

like I said before, it still a production fail with a hardware keyboard. And they are only going after businesses, only recently they have announced to launch in the major cities.

Let's see how they sell, and they have not outsold the iphone....they have just recently been OK'd to be able to sell them. They still have to build specialized handsets....so proves my earlier point that making multiple devices to do the same exact same thing is poor planning and strategy which further confuses the end consumer. Apple has to disable the wifi, which will probably change later, vs. having to build a special phone for another market.

http://tech2.in.com/india/news/smart...n-china/8553/0

http://www.digitaltrends.com/interna...erry-to-china/

Please show me where Blackberry has sold one phone in China before the Iphone was released....saying Blackberry has been selling for years vs. planning for 8 years is not the same.....

http://China Mobile, which has more ...na since 2006.

Fifth paragraph down. It quotes: "China Mobile, which has more than two thirds of China's mobile telecom market, has been offering BlackBerries to large corporate customers in China since 2006."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...484624300.html

And how's about a WSJ article where in the second paragraph it states: "RIM introduced the BlackBerry in China in 2006 but so far has sold it only to big companies."

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-700260.html

Again, a WSJ article that on the third paragraph states: "Blackberry handsets have been available since 2006 to big businesses in China through China Mobile."

http://wirelessfederation.com/news/1...berry-service/

Oh no! A forth article stating that: "World?s biggest phone carrier by subscribers, China Mobile has been providing BlackBerry services in China since 2006 but the use was limited mainly to employees of a few major corporations."

Now that I've shown you repeatedly that BlackBerries have been sold in China long before the iPhone was even first introduced in the US market, can we please move off this topic?

I don't see how any of this is poor planning. Only the customers in China will see these BlackBerry models. Do you plan on traveling all the way over to China to buy a phone? Would you travel all the way over there to purchase an iPhone? Most likely not, since we have our own stores right here in the US. Not to mention that they won't run over here, since they use China's own off-standard TD-SCDMA network. So there is no confusion to be had.

But again, since China (being the control-freak-government it is) just allowed its people to start buying iPhones and now BlackBerries, we'll have to see as time passes how things turn out.
  • Reply 269 of 278
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I suppose the all those times that Apple products and Steve Jobs made the cover of Time magazine over the years meant absolutely SQUAT.
  • Reply 270 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You aren’t making any sense and using semantics incorrectly to the point that one might be inclined to consider you a troll.

While Safari is loading a page you can switch to other apps and when return to Safari the page is loaded. It doesn’t have to reload the page like you do when you close out a web browser on the desktop. This means that there are processes for Safari still running in the background, just as there are processes for many other apps still running in the background while I perform other tasks.

Your other examples of being able to write an email while watching a movie are completely asinine. If you are not simply trolling then you’ll be kind enough to tell us how you think this should be done on a 3.5" display.

Jesus, everybody here is either a troll or a fanboy to you lot, it must be nice living in such a clearly black and white world. As for using semantics incorrectly, where? Are you sure you know what it means?

How are they asinine? And why? Because you don't have a ready answer for them? Let me explain: you have to CLOSE the browser window to OPEN another window to CLOSE that WIndow to REOPEN another window, with the application having to load each time, albeit back to a saved state, where in a true multi tasking phone you can simply swipe or click and not have to do this. The less steps, the more efficient.

If I get a text in a film, for example I am on a train and meeting someone at a station, and they text to say "are you on time?" I would like to just knock out a quick, "yes" and jump back in. On a multi tasking phone I can, I miss about 5 seconds of the film, but I can live with that. Not close the program, reopen at a bookmark etc. It's not the end of the world, I am simply saying that it is easier, more efficient.

As for being a troll? Even your use of the term speaks volumes about you. Your username is perfect; your mind is indeed the only one that exists - in your own myopic world. The only person on here with any perspective seems to be Teckstud.
  • Reply 271 of 278
    Quote:

JIf I get a text in a film, for example I am on a train and meeting someone at a station, and they text to say "are you on time?" I would like to just knock out a quick, "yes" and jump back in.

It won't happen:-

a) I don't watch movies on my iPhone, I prefer the cinema, my 55" plasma or at a pinch my MacBook,

b) I don't catch trains,

c) I'm not stupid enough to reply to an SMS while driving.

I do however consult Safari for movie times while engaged in a conversation to arrange which movie to see and at what time, does the Pre do that, you know access the web during a phonecall?
  • Reply 272 of 278
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:

If I bought a Milestone (the droid isn't available here) the the navigator would say nothing as voice is only available in the U.S, so what happens when the cache runs out?

Do you hang up the call and wait for a reload or stop the car and continue the call?

Whichever way you put it controlled multitasking is still multitasking and controlled multitasking is what the iPhone does.

The screen resolution is like many other things we've seen over the years, as other manufacturers have bought out higher resolution screens all of a sudden it becomes an issue where previously it wasn't even mentioned.

Come back when the Droid/milestone sells twenty million.

Actually, the general consensus is that Google Navigator is not available in Europe because Google is concerned about being sued by the EU for monopolistic practices. So the fact that your Milestone would be crippled with a stripped down Nav software provided by a 3rd party is courtesy of your government, not the fault of Motorola/Google.

To your other question, you would do neither. The entire route is cached, so you would not need to hang up to reload.

I am curious, what would you do with the iPhone? That is, if you were using that Nav software you paid $100 for, and got a phone call mid-route while you were driving? Would you pull over until the call was completed, since you can't run the 3rd party Nav software while you're talking on the phone? Or would you just keep driving and hope you didn't miss a turn? Just asking...

There is no iPhone multitasking for non-Apple apps... period.

You're right about the screen... just like monochrome was just perfect until color came along. Darn those color-pushing troublemakers for solving a problem that didn't even exist!!
  • Reply 273 of 278
    Quote:

It won't happen:-

a) I don't watch movies on my iPhone, I prefer the cinema, my 55" plasma or at a pinch my MacBook,

b) I don't catch trains,

c) I'm not stupid enough to reply to an SMS while driving.

I do however consult Safari for movie times while engaged in a conversation to arrange which movie to see and at what time, does the Pre do that, you know access the web during a phonecall?

That is the most silly reply yet, it really is. Get your head out of wherever it's stuck - there are more than you in the world. No-one with an iPhone catches trains then? No one-watches movies on them? Who wouldnt prefer to watch it in the cinema, but there arent any cinemas on trains I travel on sadly. I think only Hugh Heff has that. If you dont use the ipod part of your iPhone, then why did you buy it? And who mentioned driving?

I never do that, if I have checked the movie times then I know when I'm going already - I dont need to be checking them again. And if I did, I can put them in a note which will automatically display when I call the person - which is faster and more handy.
  • Reply 274 of 278
    Quote:

That is the most silly reply yet, it really is. Get your head out of wherever it's stuck - there are more than you in the world. No-one with an iPhone catches trains then? No one-watches movies on them? Who wouldnt prefer to watch it in the cinema, but there arent any cinemas on trains I travel on sadly. I think only Hugh Heff has that. If you dont use the ipod part of your iPhone, then why did you buy it? And who mentioned driving?

I never do that, if I have checked the movie times then I know when I'm going already - I dont need to be checking them again. And if I did, I can put them in a note which will automatically display when I call the person - which is faster and more handy.

What I would be interested in hearing is how the tone of the whole "voice and data at the same time" would change if (and I'm well aware it's a speculative if) the whole deal between Verizon and Apple did work out and the iPhone was a CDMA device.

I'm pretty damned sure they wouldn't hype it as much as they currently do. They'd probably be saying the exact same thing as you. That we'd plan ahead of time and note the time and place. Or that they use text messages to communicate, so no voice is being taken up. Or any of the many other things that many of us on Verizon have been doing to get along just fine without using voice and data at the same time.
  • Reply 275 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

What I would be interested in hearing is how the tone of the whole "voice and data at the same time" would change if (and I'm well aware it's a speculative if) the whole deal between Verizon and Apple did work out and the iPhone was a CDMA device.

I'm pretty damned sure they wouldn't hype it as much as they currently do. They'd probably be saying the exact same thing as you. That we'd plan ahead of time and note the time and place. Or that they use text messages to communicate, so no voice is being taken up. Or any of the many other things that many of us on Verizon have been doing to get along just fine without using voice and data at the same time.

Agreed; I actually prefer the note thing, or a text instead of a call. If there is any level of compexity you need to write it down anyway (or I do at least). Maybe I am just too old and sozzled with the drink. I'm sure it's useful upon occasion, but I had an iPhone for two and a half years and I never used that feature once.
  • Reply 276 of 278
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Oh Well...

(Looks Like Function Prevailed Over Fanaticism) [/CENTER]
  • Reply 277 of 278
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Your post somewhat dismisses that fact that simply because something was done before, that at some point it cannot be done better. From studies that have been done, more video is watched on the iPhone than all other smartphones combined.

The iPhone does multitask. If it did not you would not be able to receive calls, text messages, emails, or alerts while in another app. You can listen to iTunes music while in another app. There is an API that allows third party apps to access music in the iTunes app.

The eBay app for the iPhone allows you to set alerts this same way. Why would you want to write an email while watching a film on a 3 inch screen, that makes no sense.

Quote:

I had an iPhone from launch to until I bought the 3GS. I know what I was buying, and all it was was hype. The previous two phones were excellent, and the 3GS is a good phone, but not a step forward.

My God! moving pictures, like you mean video? That just proves my earlier post, it was being done years before, yet you all soak it up like it's a revolution.

I see a lot of people here dismissing the multi-tasking argument. It is a step forward, and no, the iphone does NOT multi task. I don't mean having 15 different applications open, if you need that go home and turn on your computer. Here is an example - I was browsing eBay on my Palm Pre, and I saw a listing that I wanted to set an alarm for so I would remember to dive in for a bid at the death. I checked the time on the screen and went out and set the alarm. I then flicked back and continued reading the listing, making sure it was worth a bid. Simple, and far more useful than what its given credit for. Can the 3rd gen iPhone do that simple task? No, it cant. If I come out i"m back at my bookmarks and starting the whole browsing process back over again. Little things, but on here you are all so bloody blind you will never admit it. "I can listen to music while I browse the web". Can you reply to a mail while you watch a film? Or even a text?

• Reply 278 of 278
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Irony............

"That is the most silly reply yet, it really is. Get your head out of wherever it's stuck - there are more than you in the world."

Quote:

Agreed; I actually prefer the note thing, or a text instead of a call. If there is any level of compexity you need to write it down anyway (or I do at least). Maybe I am just too old and sozzled with the drink. I'm sure it's useful upon occasion, but I had an iPhone for two and a half years and I never used that feature once.