• Reply 221 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

apple is doomed!

lol...
  • Reply 222 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Ha ha. No way. Google gets the net and I think this is just the begining.

I think this is going to be huge. anTs nearing Ten year AT&T subscriber that jailbreaked his phone only a few months ago due to Apple pull GV mobile, I can say without a doubt, it rocks.*

Plus if you put the member on AT&T's A list, all call are free. How cool is that. Getting transcibed emails of voicemails, if you send someone to vm, you can listen in and jump on if you want. OT My dad still thinks voice mail is like an old fashioned awsering machine in that I can hear him. Anyone have family like that. Grin.*

Anyway, you can set up groups, make all phones ring if certain people call including landlines. You can send some right to voice mail. And GV Nobile is like 1/1000th of what you can if you jailbreak. *Ironically. If you unlock, it has a better resale Vaule then a two year old mbp, Apple did that we all the price cuts, dropping pro care tied to one to one and Pro training vs iLife, email Photo trauners now *all the pros are gone *geesg.*

There used to be a time you could buy a MacBook pro and get nearly the same price for it. *

Anyway, rambling. I think Googke knows what they are doing and will do very well and will give smart phones a new meaning changing graphic files on the fly, *PDFs without PDF reader like with preview, open pages and word docs *without the *app, will suprrutilize the name "Google" as eveyone knows it.

I say big DEAL deal *thev, with devolper likes those turned away and those that work for the app store. Of course it will play flash and that box so you can watch dvr programs on your phone and then some. Maybe Google/Samsung TV's, grin. No commercials and a musicstation with videos and indie bands. *

It's the future man. The network are toast. Plus google

really knows the web business model.

In time, we, the consumer, win. No wonder they never sold - think of the revenue they would make if they come up with a home page.

Peace*

My first post here. Entertaining discussion. I think this thing has potential, whether it will be realized or not I have no idea. Just by of context, I don't have an iphone but will be in the market for one when my contract expires in a few months. I hope that if google is going to do this it gets released in january so that I can see the offering in the market for a few months before making my decision on which phone to get.

I think the competition is good, for everybody. Rather than proclaiming the google offering as junk, I think that folks should hope that it is a winner---that someone offers something that provides a realistic alternative to the iphone. It makes Apple better, it gives all of us more choices.

So I'm in wait and see mode. I suspect that I will be getting that iPhone, but there is part of me that hopes that I won't be.
  • Reply 223 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

My first post here. Entertaining discussion. I think this thing has potential, whether it will be realized or not I have no idea. Just by of context, I don't have an iphone but will be in the market for one when my contract expires in a few months. I hope that if google is going to do this it gets released in january so that I can see the offering in the market for a few months before making my decision on which phone to get.

I think the competition is good, for everybody. Rather than proclaiming the google offering as junk, I think that folks should hope that it is a winner---that someone offers something that provides a realistic alternative to the iphone. It makes Apple better, it gives all of us more choices.

So I'm in wait and see mode. I suspect that I will be getting that iPhone, but there is part of me that hopes that I won't be.

i agree, especially considering all the junk out there that is almost impossible to sync... those so called smartphones make their respective owners sick... and those will most likely think that iphones & android phones are just as bad...!
  • Reply 224 of 344
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Quadra is anything but objective. And please don't try and subject your analysis on me. It just makes you sound like Quadra and the way it was phrased it was no joke. He compared the iPhone to Jesus. That is just wrong. He needs help in a very serious way.

Your opinion only.

To me, comparing the iPhone to Jesus is kinda funny, being as for me Jesus is a mythical creature in the same category as Unicorns and Santa Claus.

It would only be "wrong" in the context of an insult or personal attack or if he was purposely making said comment to be intolerant of others. He obviously was not. As others have mentioned he was referencing the whole "Jesus Phone" thing, which is a fairly long-running meme at this point and totally fair game.

I don't actually agree with Quadra on a lot of things, but as I pointed out, he is arguing what he believes and doing it at least in this column based on facts and evidence. It's *you* that's been peppering the list with your "feelings" and a lot of unsupported hyperbole.

At least this time, he is right, and you are wrong.
  • Reply 225 of 344
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Would you accept a posting from the forum?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_by_2012.html

If not, I can pull up many other postings. ....

Dude.

What you are pointing to here actually back up my argument. Note the highlighted terms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

... (Analyst) Ken Dulaney, ... said he believes the iPhone will maintain its No. 3 overall smartphone position ... while he expects Android to grow in leaps and bounds ...

The forecast ...

This is what you have equated to "most analysts agree ... (that) Android will overtake iPhone next year."

These are unsupported generalised predictions or forecasts by some analysts based on the numbers we have now and the statements of industry executives. You are completely wrong to make out like it's a "fact" that Android will overtake iPhone next year and that "most analysts" agree with that.

If you didn't use hyperbole all the time, people might agree with you more.
  • Reply 226 of 344
    Quote:

Would you accept a posting from the forum?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_by_2012.html

If not, I can pull up many other postings.

That doesn't include Search, Music, Video, Books and everything else Google has their hands into these days.

Accept it, or follow Quadra's theory. Although looking at both postins I'd say you were born form the same Apple seed.

Does this include the iPod touch? Comparing the iPhone (hardware) and Android (software) is a moot point. Comparing iPhone OS and Android, then you have to include the iPod touch since it also runs iPhone os. Putting Android on multiple devices then obviously it is going to overtake the iPhone in marketshare. Compare apples to apples.
  • Reply 227 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah don't they all look really excited in that picture.

if I had to sit through another PC event that was just another reversed engineered rehashed "let's see how we can beat apple" and not provide any real substance....and especially if Steve Ballmer was there...
  • Reply 228 of 344
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snookie View Post

it is amusing that people seem to think because everyone and their brother is announcing Android phones that sheer numbers will overwhelm the iPhone. Didn't work for Windows Mobile or Blackberry who had many years head start. Maybe the day will come when Android is as good as the iPhone OS/hardware combination but it's going to be awhile yet before we see that, if ever.

Looking at the Droid sales, which you astutely point out has some major downfalls, I think it?s quite possible that Android OS on a phone can overtake iPhone OS in marketshare in 2010. There are just to many options for cheap ass phone vendors to use their software across every carrier. RiM is the only BB OS user and MS licensed WinMo so their headstart isn?t like what Google is doing with a free, modern OS with 15k+ apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

I prefer apple to my horrible windows machines but jeaz they get on my nerves sometimes. Pulling the firewire ports off the laptops and then just putting one on the 15" pro with no express slot. well done guys, plenty of musos will have to look elsewhere then.

They do some wonky things but the FireWire issue is not one of them. They never had FW800 on their MacBook line. They removed the obsolescing FW400 port interface and only went with the FW800 port interface. All MBPs have FW800.

Personally, I?d like to see another USB on the MacBook before I see FW800. That class machine is much more likely to use USB peripherals than FW. I?m hoping that Apple added USB3.0 to their Macs next time around but I?m not holding my breath.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Dude.

What you are pointing to here actually back up my argument. Note the highlighted terms.

This is what you have equated to "most analysts agree ... (that) Android will overtake iPhone next year.?

These are unsupported generalised predictions or forecasts by some analysts based on the numbers we have now and the statements of industry executives. You are completely wrong to make out like it's a "fact" that Android will overtake iPhone next year and that "most analysts" agree with that.

If you didn't use hyperbole all the time, people might agree with you more.

Game, set, match.

PS: Why hasn?t AgnusYoung been banned yet? He seems to be trying to get himself kicked off.
  • Reply 229 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

if I had to sit through another PC event that was just another reversed engineered rehashed "let's see how we can beat apple" and not provide any real substance....and especially if Steve Ballmer was there...

Gotta love the rationale. Surely they can?t be bored with the material being presented to them or that it?s 7am or some or some other factor. It must be that they hate their Macs.
  • Reply 230 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looking at the Droid sales, which you astutely point out has some major downfalls, I think it?s quite possible that Android OS on a phone can overtake iPhone OS in marketshare in 2010. There are just to many options for cheap ass phone vendors to use their software across every carrier. RiM is the only BB OS user and MS licensed WinMo so their headstart isn?t like what Google is doing with a free, modern OS with 15k+ apps.

They do some wonky things but the FireWire issue is not one of them. They never had FW800 on their MacBook line. They removed the obsolescing FW400 port interface and only went with the FW800 port interface. All MBPs have FW800.

Personally, I?d like to see another USB on the MacBook before I see FW800. That class machine is much more likely to use USB peripherals than FW. I?m hoping that Apple added USB3.0 to their Macs next time around but I?m not holding my breath.

Game, set, match.

PS: Why hasn?t AgnusYoung been banned yet? He seems to be trying to get himself kicked off.

Apparently I need "counselling" because a certain someone doesn't get the idea of Identity of Relation (between any two ordered pairs), or more broadly and even more appropriate to my example, simple Shared Abstraction. It seems this individual was convinced that I thought the iPhone turned water into wine. Well, it doesn't.

That feature is being added in June.
  • Reply 231 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

iMacs. Desktops that are not upgradable are not desktops.

P.

By whose definition? The iMac has always been classified offically as a desktop.
  • Reply 232 of 344
    So is the included picture actually supposed to be very close to the handset they're distributing? The HTC passion isn't that great in looks, even if you tweaked it.

The iPhone may not really be that beautiful, but the included pic in this article certainly looks like nothing particularly beautiful either.
  • Reply 233 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apparently I need "counselling" because a certain someone doesn't get the idea of Identity of Relation (between any two ordered pairs), or more broadly and even more appropriate to my example, simple Shared Abstraction. It seems this individual was convinced that I thought the iPhone turned water into wine. Well, it doesn't.

That feature is being added in June.

You mean there isn?t an app for that?
  • Reply 234 of 344
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Very astute. The media is just trying to create news. It doesn't make sense that Google would come out with it's own branded phone. That would turn off other hardware manufacturers, and perhaps encourage them to consider other operating system alternatives. Google is trying to sell ads not, hardware. If anything, HTC will market this phone in it's own name.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not seeing where any of this adds up to "Google phones", which is a term the article simply applies without credible reason.

What Google has actually said is that they're handing out HTC handsets to use as a testbed for new software features. That's it. Somehow we go from there to turning these HTC handsets into the fabled "Google phone", despite there being no evidence of that. At all.

I'm sure the HTC handsets are the latest and greatest, but things like OLED screens and Snapdragon processors aren't the result of Google magic, and there was no reason not to expect HTC to do anything but offer such hardware at some point.

• Reply 235 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, that's perhaps because you were talking to a Verizon rep. The 3GS does voice dialing (and more). (And FWIW, I doubt the 3GS has the horsepower to support accurate dictation.)

Dragon Dictation. I am using it right now. It works beautifully and integrates with email and SMS smoothly and the rest of the OS via the clipboard.
  • Reply 236 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

Dragon Dictation. I am using it right now. It works beautifully and integrates with email and SMS smoothly and the rest of the OS via the clipboard.

Dragon Dictation is impressive but what Foo2 states is correct. The app works by sending your audio to their servers and then returning with text.
  • Reply 237 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, that's perhaps because you were talking to a Verizon rep. The 3GS does voice dialing (and more). (And FWIW, I doubt the 3GS has the horsepower to support accurate dictation.)

Quote:

Dragon Dictation is impressive but what Foo2 states is correct. The app works by sending your audio to their servers and then returning with text.

That I didn't know. The latency is short so to the user (me) it seems like local horsepower is doing the work. This would be a problem in an area of sketchy service. I stand corrected.
  • Reply 238 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How did it set a standard for web browsing? All it showed is that as usual Apple fanatics are just that even when it comes to browsing the web all day long. The success of the iPhone is also going to be its downfall. ATT is already considering putting a cap on data plans if if Apple can only go to TMobile in the US after that the iPhone is going to make a great door stop.

Carriers aren't going to put millions into their network just because iPhone users don't have a life and do nothing but surf the web all day long. When they start putting limits on usage its going to kill the iPhone. TMobile can barely handle what that have now and Verizon wants nothing to do with this mess.

The iPhone has peaked. It didn't put anyone one out of business, its not the #1 smartphone even though people here pretend it is, and carriers are going to start putting

limits on iPhone users because its not worth the headache.

Everyone is talking about the iPhone now because Apple has done nothing major with any of its other products in years.

Macbook has had nothing major

Macbook Pro has had nothing major

Mac Pro, nothing

Apple TV, has been a failure.

Macbook Air another failure.

iPods nothing major.

IMac, nothing. Except for quadcore which everyone else has had for years now.

They are such an innovative company? What have they done in years thats been so innovative?

My Macbook Major

My iPhone Major

My iMac Major Not even viruses

My i-experience deep joy
  • Reply 239 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

That I didn't know. The latency is short so to the user (me) it seems like local horsepower is doing the work. This would be a problem in an area of sketchy service. I stand corrected.

The uproar this app created was that it grabs your contact names and uploads them to their servers under an anonymous profile tied to your device?s ID. This way anytime you read off one of those names it can correctly send back the name spelled correctly. They get no other info than the names; no email address, no phone numbers, nothing. If you look at the reviews there are 1300 last time I checked) of 1 start ratings because of this server-side transcription. It?s quite silly.
  • Reply 240 of 344
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Game, set, match.

add FW800 AND MINI USB

PS

how many got banned these past few days ??

'1 2 or 3 ??