Microsoft brings Bing to iPhone, RedLaser tops $1M in revenue

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Okay... lemme get this straight...

GV and the other Google Map app was REJECTED (no I refuse to play into the lie that it's not rejected nor accepted thats BS) due to the fact that the features of the google software might in someway confuse the dumb as a stump iPhone users.. If Apple really believes that its users can't tel l the difference between apps then they MUST think of the iPhone users as babbling idiots.

Getting back to the point... now we have an App from Microsoft that does the following:

"has its own application on the App Store that allows voice search, location finder, maps access and more"

VOICE SEARCH

MAP ACCES

LOCATION FINDER

Hmmm an somehow Apple is okay with Microsoft DUPLICATING functionality all over the place but Google apps get the stinkeye even if put something on the iPhone screen...

Yea that's makin sense...
  • Reply 62 of 100
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

You didn't read my post carefully. He did try Entourage from Mac Office 2008 but it is lacking features he is using in Outlook 2007. I don't know what those are, but I can ask him if you wish to know. Among the things he has blurted I believe one was that his booking software can synchronise with Outlook 2007, but not with Entourage. I don't think that OS-Level Exchange support can help if you don't have propper software to take advantage over that support.

What is the point of switching to SL Server if he is using Windows-only apps for car booking, company accounting..? How much more will Mac server hardware cost him, on top of Server OS? How much will all the apps cost him, even if he can find them at all?

You are not being realistic here... \

the server hardware is priced OK, but doesn't scale as well as HP/Dell servers
  • Reply 63 of 100
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Not to take away from the real and inspiring topic of the article (Red Laser) , but who in their right mind actually enjoys using microsoft on a mac?!?!

You seem to have a very narrow view point. If Microsoft makes a good product, that is attractive to users, then they will get people using their products. If you can put aside your 'hate' and then compare the alternatives, you will see that Microsoft deserves is place as much as the next company. Yes there are things that they shouldn't be respected for, but there is certainly plenty that they have honestly earned respect for.

Also, it is always good to try out your competitor's offerings since sometimes they will surprise you, in a good way.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

GV and the other Google Map app was REJECTED (no I refuse to play into the lie that it's not rejected nor accepted thats BS) due to the fact that the features of the google software might in someway confuse the dumb as a stump iPhone users.. If Apple really believes that its users can't tel l the difference between apps then they MUST think of the iPhone users as babbling idiots.

Getting back to the point... now we have an App from Microsoft that does the following:

"has its own application on the App Store that allows voice search, location finder, maps access and more"

VOICE SEARCH

MAP ACCES

LOCATION FINDER

Hmmm an somehow Apple is okay with Microsoft DUPLICATING functionality all over the place but Google apps get the stinkeye even if put something on the iPhone screen...

Yes, and will most likely be looked into as well as Intel ... (MobileMe & Quadra666) it may be true, Steve made a a deal with the devil M$.

There will likely be claims that Apple has partnered with Microsoft to over come the Android and Google OS invasion. Like the 90's Apple has sold itself out to Microsoft.

I'd think the FCC will have a lot to say about this decision as well as Google.

Time will tell as well as Market Share. 2010 May be the year of the FTC looking into a lot of things... Could be an interesting year.
  • Reply 65 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

It's a pain to not be able to update all because I have this turd of an app update in the pipeline that I have to update around.

Agreed. I have three or 4 of these "turd" updates as you put it. Apple needs to implement the simple concept of *ignore* in their appstore app. That little red badge is annoying.
  • Reply 66 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's like the Google App so where's the problem?

You can also look up maps in other apps, so what's your point?

I think the big question is will Google allow an android version of this application into their marketplace?

Would it bring out all the whiners if they didn't?

Go buy an Android phone if it means so much to you.

Quote:

VOICE SEARCH

MAP ACCES

LOCATION FINDER

• Reply 67 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the server hardware is priced OK, but doesn't scale as well as HP/Dell servers

I wasn't complaining about MAC server hardware price - just replying to a bit shallow statement "just tell him to get OSX Server for $450 and all his problems are sorted".
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:

VOICE SEARCH

MAP ACCES

LOCATION FINDER

MS doesn't have platform/phone that come close to iPhone..?
  • Reply 69 of 100
    Quote:

Okay fair enough and I see your point. Thanks Nikon .. I not sure about all that software you mentioned but I'm 100% positive a ALL mac integration will not be painful.

Are you a photographer? What type of camera do you use? I'm probably going to upgrade my film camera to a Nikon D700 or the D3S (Nikon's D3X is an utter joke IMO ) .

I'm actually in the market for a used BMW Z4 M. I currently drive a 2008 Honda EX-L (very nice and reliable and surprisingly quick) but I need some bhp, plus the price's are steal in the used market.

Man woman are everywhere, sometimes fun is driving fast and doing code all night or working out a business venture. Chicks dig nerds & a guy who's good with his hands (building stuff)

Yer welcome

No, I'm not photographer... even my user name isn't really connected to cameras, but to first letters of my given and family name. I do shoot a lot, out of hobby - both film and digital, and mostly with Nikons nowadays, but no any fancy gear - F801s for film and D70s for digital, couple of lenses, couple of P&S cameras...

D3X a joke??? Well it does bring smile to my face... except for the price, too much over D3 considering differences. Anyway, those are cameras for people who make money with their cameras . D700 is sweet, but most of my glass is DX... so D300 for me when good old D70s goes to Hine-nui-te-pō.
  • Reply 70 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Like the 90's Apple has sold itself out to Microsoft.

That's news to me . . . when and how did that happen?
  • Reply 71 of 100
    Quote:

VOICE SEARCH

MAP ACCES

LOCATION FINDER

Duplicating the functionality of what?

It's like the Google Mobile application. In fact it's pretty much the same thing. What's the problem? What are you talking about??

Quote:

Yes, and will most likely be looked into as well as Intel ... (MobileMe & Quadra666) it may be true, Steve made a a deal with the devil M$.

Except there's no duplication of functionality going on. The Bing app is nearly the same as the Google Mobile app. You and DaveGee seem to be confusing it with Google VOICE. Which then prompted your FTC/FCC fantasies.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    skip it
  • Reply 73 of 100
    Quote:

Dude you have no clue as to what your saying... GOOGLE VOICE was rejected not the GOOGLE APP that has voice search integration like Bing... Go back to Redmond WA

Quote:

Like the 90's Apple has sold itself out to Microsoft.

History Fact so you can at least sound knowledgeable on this forum (I pray you don't speak like this in public).

When Steve returned to Apple one of his first calls was to Bill Gates, who had been negotiating with Gil for months. Only an alliance with the most important company in the technology world could quickly shore up Apple's fortunes. Steve knew what gates and Microsoft wanted: an agreement that would allow Microsoft to design a UI like Apple's.... the very item Gates had been harrassing Gil about for 18 months, that Gil recognized would be a giveaway and would deprive Apple of its most significant differentiation from the clumsy Microsoft OS. Steve signed away Apple's most precious IP, without blinking, so that he would be able to appear onstage in early August at another MacWorld Expo with Gates at his side, garnering praise from the media for settling an old dispute. But at what cost! The Deal called for Microsoft toi invest 150 million in Apple, and to con't to update and sell MS Office productivity programs for the Mac platform for the foreseeable future. It also called for Apple to adopt the Microsoft IE browser as its default program for accessing the Web, installing it on all Mac machines sold.

Steve had a deeper understanding of the realities of the situation than almost anyone: without Microsoft's support, Apple would be a cul-de-sac with no way to operate in a Microsoft-dominated world. He had to bid his time by keeping Gates on his side. The crowd at the Boston Macworld in the summer of 97 booed the announcement. But steve knew well before any of us about the future and he understood Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

PS YOU SOUND LIKE A UTTER FOOL WHEN YOU SAY " WE SOLD OUT IN THE 90'S" you obviously dont understand Apple or it's creator. But it's thats why people like Me exist to educate the less informed (which is you) your ignorance is understood
  • Reply 74 of 100
    Quote:

Dude you have no clue as to what your saying... GOOGLE VOICE was rejected not the GOOGLE APP that has voice search integration like Bing... Go back to Redmond WA

History Fact so you can at least sound knowledgeable on this forum (I pray you don't speak like this in public).

When Steve returned to Apple one of his first calls was to Bill Gates, who had been negotiating with Gil for months. Only an alliance with the most important company in the technology world could quickly shore up Apple's fortunes. Steve knew what gates and Microsoft wanted: an agreement that would allow Microsoft to design a UI like Apple's.... the very item Gates had been harrassing Gil about for 18 months, that Gil recognized would be a giveaway and would deprive Apple of its most significant differentiation from the clumsy Microsoft OS. Steve signed away Apple's most precious IP, without blinking, so that he would be able to appear onstage in early August at another MacWorld Expo with Gates at his side, garnering praise from the media for settling an old dispute. But at what cost! The Deal called for Microsoft toi invest 150 million in Apple, and to con't to update and sell MS Office productivity programs for the Mac platform for the foreseeable future. It also called for Apple to adopt the Microsoft IE browser as its default program for accessing the Web, installing it on all Mac machines sold.

Steve had a deeper understanding of the realities of the situation than almost anyone: without Microsoft's support, Apple would be a cul-de-sac with no way to operate in a Microsoft-dominated world. He had to bid his time by keeping Gates on his side. The crowd at the Boston Macworld in the summer of 97 booed the announcement. But steve knew well before any of us about the future and he understood Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

PS YOU SOUND LIKE A UTTER FOOL WHEN YOU SAY " WE SOLD OUT IN THE 90'S" you obviously dont understand Apple or it's creator. But it's thats why people like Me exist to educate the less informed (which is you) your ignorance is understood

As do you when you say you will not install anything Microsoft on your precious Mactintosh.

While you're at it call Steve and have him remove support for Microsoft Exchange from OSX and your iPhone.

Practice what you rant.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    Quote:

As do you when you say you will not install anything Microsoft on your precious Mactintosh.

While you're at it call Steve and have him remove support for Microsoft Exchange from OSX and your iPhone.

Practice what you rant.

Thanks for having no objection to my facts about the time when " Apple sold out" as you put it.

Apple products are the only in the industry one can truly fall in love with and appreciate the innovation and quality of the machine inside and out.... If I had a dell or a sony or hp, I would care less about it, cause their trash to begin with and copycats, TASTELESS TRASH!!.

I would take a G4 powerbook anyday over a current generation PC if given the choice .... Go back to Redmond
  • Reply 76 of 100
    Still wondering how Apple "sold out" to MS in the 90s . . .
  • Reply 77 of 100
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    bing is #9 in the top ten free apps as of today
  • Reply 78 of 100
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Thanks for having no objection to my facts about the time when " Apple sold out" as you put it.

Apple products are the only in the industry one can truly fall in love with and appreciate the innovation and quality of the machine inside and out.... If I had a dell or a sony or hp, I would care less about it, cause their trash to begin with and copycats, TASTELESS TRASH!!.

I would take a G4 powerbook anyday over a current generation PC if given the choice .... Go back to Redmond

you are the reason a lot of PC users get a negative connotation of apple fans/users.

you are so blinded by rage you cant see for 1 second that MS isnt the devil of the world. yes, they do alot of stupid things (balmer is a big stupid thing), but they still support the big businesses and support the legacy hardware that is still used, something apple does not do and as far as i know, will not do.

please just stop posting. you are giving true apple fans a bad name. ( i could say a lot meaner things, but i'd be banned probably permanently )
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you are the reason a lot of PC users get a negative connotation of apple fans/users.

you are so blinded by rage you cant see for 1 second that MS isnt the devil of the world. yes, they do alot of stupid things (balmer is a big stupid thing), but they still support the big businesses and support the legacy hardware that is still used, something apple does not do and as far as i know, will not do.

please just stop posting. you are giving true apple fans a bad name. ( i could say a lot meaner things, but i'd be banned probably permanently )

Thanks for spearing me your wrath!?

I look at both sides of the story BTW. Though in the end Apple always seems to be right. And I'm not a Fan of Apple... I'm a Believer in APPLE.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I look at both sides of the story BTW. Though in the end Apple always seems to be right. And I'm not a Fan of Apple... I'm a Believer in APPLE.

That is the problem. While you try weakly to claim that you look at both sides, True Believers, i.e. religious fanatics, can never see the other side.

Apple is a company. They don't need or deserve Believers. I have been a hardcore Apple fan since before there were Macs and have convinced many people to switch to Macs, iPhones, iPods, etc. I get being a fanatic...but True believers are an embarrassment.

I have to add: most of your posts make me think you are actually a Windows lovin troll that is just trying to make Apple users and fans look really bad...like unthinking, irrational morons. It was common back in the early days of AI to have WinTrolls come in and pretend to be Mac users and just go right over the top with their ranting about the everlasting perfection and holy goodness of Apple. Sadly, there are really Mac fans whose actions give those trolls all the ammunition they need.