Apple becomes SNL punchline over iPhone network coverage

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

I have a family plan with 4 iphones.

2 are 2g and 2 are 3 g.

ALL of us get dropped calls for the last 2 years and it is getting worse .

we live on top of a hill 400 ft from a cell tower .

4 LTE hopefully will improve it but I want verizon .

Dropped calls happen, just redial. No big deal. People have unrealistic expectations from cell phones.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Your either 1 lying 2 never used an iphone in 3.5 years or 3 stay out in BFE where all of 6 people live so you don't have to worry about network congestion. I bet 95% of the people on this board who have an iphone experienced dropped calls it is just that common with AT&T service.

I've got to find a reputable source ( aka bulletproof for the nay-sayers) for the data and post it here, but I did hear that AT&T's total '09 Q3 dropped call rate was only .2% lower than Verizon's. That's 2 calls in 1,000. I'm sure that it won't be received well by the T bashers who continue to deny that infrastructure investments are paying off at all.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

This is not the first time NBC has used their on-air properties to disparage Apple. Wonder why they would do that? (MSNBC...)

Why does it matter? Is Apple beyond mockery?

Sheesh! It's a JOKE!!! What do you care if Apple is mocked as long as you still use their products and enjoy them.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I've got to find a reputable source ( aka bulletproof for the nay-sayers) for the data and post it here, but I did hear that AT&T's total '09 Q3 dropped call rate was only .2% lower than Verizon's. That's 2 calls in 1,000. I'm sure that it won't be received well by the T bashers who continue to deny that infrastructure investments are paying off at all.

Does that include calls that were never dropped because they never connected in the first place?
  • Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

so why is it that everyone else on AT&T with a non-iphone phone isn't complaining? my inlaws went to AT&T in June from VZW and have cheapo phones and they never complain. out of the family plan minutes, they use most of them and have never said anything about dropped calls

in the iphone 3G there were documented issues with the 3G radio and the antenna and I bet it's the same with the 3GS

I expect so, too. On a related note, Apple has yet to fix the constant wifi drops many still experience since the 3.x software was introduced. Despite the common opinion, Apple isn't perfect folks. Try the Apple support forums for a better view.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Those phones are not using 3G so thjey should work much better.

Baloney, The iPhone isn't the only 3G phone on the AT&T network.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I expect so, too. On a related note, Apple has yet to fix the constant wifi drops many still experience since the 3.x software was introduced. Despite the common opinion, Apple isn't perfect folks. Try the Apple support forums for a better view.

Try resetting your network preferences. I use many WiFi hotspots and never have a problem with connectivity.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    Quote:

the razr also had documented reception issues due to its design

Yep, only thing the Razr had going for it at the time was the styling, everything else about it was pretty much crap.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does that include calls that were never dropped because they never connected in the first place?

LOL. I expect not, for T or VZ.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Try resetting your network preferences. I use many WiFi hotspots and never have a problem with connectivity.

Yea, unfortunately the drops happen on my home wifi. Was NEVER an issue before the 3.x upgrade. It's an problem that received a lot of play on the Apple support forums, lots of fixes tried but little success for most. I have a minimum of 2 other devices connected to my wireless network, up to 6 on occasion (including 2 MacBooks and an iPhone 3GS), only the iPhones are dropping the wireless. They then prompt for the wireless pwd, select cancel and the available networks prompt pops up. Selecting the network (no pwd prompt) temporarily resolves. I'm never connected to hotspots for any length of time to suggest how the phones work then.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Clearly, you are not a stockholder. It matters greatly to me what the perception of, performance of, and sales of iPhone and other Mac products are. And thus, if you are not a stockholder, it's not "our products" to you. We welcome tweens and adults. It's you - the elitest snob that feels Apple 'owes me something for being loyal' that we can really do WITHOUT.

Wow..... how should I respond?

Hmmmm.... Oh I know! based on the smilie at the end of your post....

GRRRRRRR!!!!! ROAR!!!!!!! GROOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

Dude... take a chill pill and relax. For your info, yes... I DO own Apple stock. I have since the 1998.

Where have I EVER said that I believe that Apple "owes me something for being loyal" as you so put it????

I am stating that I prefer the good old days of the Mac forums when we all knew each other on different websites like MacRumors, SpyMac, Think Secret... Now you get 13 year old kids bitching about how they feel entitled to having an iPhone or iPod Touch and if it doesn't do one thing that they think it should do then it is a piece of junk.

When you told someone you used a Mac it used to actually mean something. It doesn't anymore and THAT is an ugly truth.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

Dropped calls happen, just redial. No big deal. People have unrealistic expectations from cell phones.

Until 75% of your calls can not last past 5 mins. My expectation is for it too work. For the money I am laying out, making a simple phone call should be on the priority list of things my phone should be able too do. Hasent the cell phone been around for 25 years, you would think they would have figured it out by now.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Quote:

Nay-sayers are people who speak without knowing, the people here speak because they are experiencing these problems. Period. I have 3 AT$T phones in my house, 2 x iPhones and one RAZOR. ALL drop calls, all the time. More calls are dropped then calls are completed, that's assuming it even gets placed. Call Failed seems to be a repeated thing on my phone.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

This right here leads me to believe you are embellishing the truth. I live in a suburb outside of Indianapolis...about 30 minutes. I rarely have a dropped call here with the 3G. I visited family in Manhattan and experienced the WORST cell phone service wherever we went in the city. Using the 3G network was near impossible. I dropped calls countless times. Sending/receiving text messages took upwards of 2-3 hours. I heard and read about the poor iPhone performance from a lot of people in NYC. It's interesting that you're the first person to have a positive experience in NYC. Interesting, yet fishy.

And Apple isn't providing this so-called "ceaselessly reliable service". AT&T is. Apple provides the means to utilize the service.

Because he is more than likely an AT$T troll trying to put a lid on their crappy service. Problem is, this board is full of techno geeks who know better. Go troll somewhere else AT$T dork.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Wow, really? And here I thought it was AT&T's network coverage.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

they fixed a lot of it in 3.1.2

in June my 3GS couldn't connect to my work wifi, 3.1.2 fixed it. my wife's 3G with 2.2.1 connected fine when i tested it
  • Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

And Apple being made fun of is something completely new? I do believe it was MadTV that made "i" name with an "iRack" skit back when the Iraq War started again (correct my timeline if I'm wrong). It was a Steve Jobs impersonation showing off Apple's latest product: an unsteady rack with random things thrown in it. True it was more of a punch to the new Iraq War than Apple itself, but still...

That was satire. Not quite the same.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Nay-sayers are people who speak without knowing, the people here speak because they are experiencing these problems. Period. I have 3 AT$T phones in my house, 2 x iPhones and one RAZOR. ALL drop calls, all the time. More calls are dropped then calls are completed, that's assuming it even gets placed. Call Failed seems to be a repeated thing on my phone.

The nay-sayers speak as if their experience is the norm. They extrapolate in a very unscientific manner. Yes, if the problem is affecting you, it is a very big deal. The mistake is to take what is affecting you and making claims on the whole based upon that. As a result others jump on the bandwagon, feed the frenzy and validate the nay-sayers with even less scientific data.

As to the dropped call rate, here's one article I've found. The info on rates is on page two . . .

http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/1823564.html

I assume the "GWS" referenced is http://www.gwsolutions.com/. Interesting reads on their GWS News page, especially the New York Times article that reads much like what I've been saying in various threads here.

Despite that, I expect the nay-sayers and the bandwagonneers will have none of it.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    Quote:

they fixed a lot of it in 3.1.2

in June my 3GS couldn't connect to my work wifi, 3.1.2 fixed it. my wife's 3G with 2.2.1 connected fine when i tested it

Yes, heard that helped some. I'm in the "rats! didn't help" group.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:

The nay-sayers speak as if their experience is the norm. They extrapolate in a very unscientific manner. Yes, if the problem is affecting you, it is a very big deal. The mistake is to take what is affecting you and making claims on the whole based upon that. As a result others jump on the bandwagon, feed the frenzy and validate the nay-sayers with even less scientific data.

As to the dropped call rate, here's one article I've found. The info on rates is on page two . . .

http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/1823564.html

I assume the "GWS" referenced is http://www.gwsolutions.com/. Interesting reads on their GWS News page, especially the New York Times article that reads much like what I've been saying in various threads here.

Despite that, I expect the nay-sayers and the bandwagonneers will have none of it.

The newspaper is from Lincoln Nebraska. Lets find some articles for NYC, San Fransisco, Washington DC etc, etc. The problems are not only affecting me. Dig through the boards, more people are having problems then people that are not. This is not hype, or band wagon, this is facts. People all over the net are having these issues. The problem is that AT$T and the people that are not having issues just want everyone to go away and stop raising a fuss. AT$T just wants to keep collecting the cash. I really believe once the iPhone goes to another carrier and people's contracts are up, AT$T will start losing customers by the boat load and they know it.