Apple becomes SNL punchline over iPhone network coverage

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Now you get 13 year old kids bitching about how they feel entitled to having an iPhone or iPod Touch and if it doesn't do one thing that they think it should do then it is a piece of junk.

Thats funny. Now not only are the people that are having issues imagining them, they are 13 years old. Grow up. That is not the case. And if a TELEPHONE can not make CALLS then it is a piece of junk. The iPhone could do many things wrong but when it can not even do its core task right then it is crap. Yes I know the iPhone is not at fault but unfortunately the iPhone is only 1/2 the equation. AT$T is the other. Put together and the iPhone is only %50 good.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The newspaper is from Lincoln Nebraska. Lets find some articles for NYC, San Fransisco, Washington DC etc, etc. The problems are not only affecting me. Dig through the boards, more people are having problems then people that are not. This is not hype, or band wagon, this is facts. People all over the net are having these issues. The problem is that AT$T and the people that are not having issues just want everyone to go away and stop raising a fuss. AT$T just wants to keep collecting the cash. I really believe once the iPhone goes to another carrier and people's contracts are up, AT$T will start losing customers by the boat load and they know it.

My goodness! Did you even read Page 2? Or the New York Times article? If you won't I really don't see a point in continuing the conversation, do you?

Thank you for illustrating my nay-sayer point so well.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the way data is used on a BB and the iphone is very different and problems are more noticeable on the iphone

Very true. Also on the BB you have the feedback of if you are not able to send vs not getting any response from the tower. Gives a good sense of comfort.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Yes, heard that helped some. I'm in the "rats! didn't help" group.

Which router do you have? I have an old cheapo linksys 54g something
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Quote:

Which router do you have? I have an old cheapo linksys 54g something

The Linksys/Cisco WRT400N with latest firmware. I'm sitting 6 feet away atm and experienced the disconnect within the last hour. Same happens wherever I might be in the house. This MacBook Pro never has an issue. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
  • Reply 106 of 137
    Quote:

so why is it that everyone else on AT&T with a non-iphone phone isn't complaining? my inlaws went to AT&T in June from VZW and have cheapo phones and they never complain. out of the family plan minutes, they use most of them and have never said anything about dropped calls

in the iphone 3G there were documented issues with the 3G radio and the antenna and I bet it's the same with the 3GS

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones with an iPhone that has a good antenna.

I find it interesting that so many Americans think that the USA = The entire world.

I live in Australia and have had my first iPhone (3GS) for 5 months now, and I've never had calls drop out. I'm currently inside a building and have the full 5 bars, in fact basically everywhere I frequent I have 4 or 5 bars of service.

I can't fault the mobile reception, and I think the iPhone is a fantastic phone. I'd just prefer it if the batteries lasted a week.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apple offered the iPhone to Verizon, T-Mobile and others... but they all wanted final say-so on everything, plus I would imagine none of them believed Apple would be successful. As almost everyone laughed at Apple pre-launch, now they are racing to catch-up. AT&T was the only one to agree to Apple having final word and all their demands, that's why it is only on AT&T. Steve had no choice, but to pump and support AT&T - you have to roll with who you got at the moment.

People cannot blame Apple, they went with the only girl who would say "yes" to go to the prom with them. Now, all the girls want to go and Apple now has all the "hand" as Costanza said on Seinfeld.

There are alway choices... Couldn't Steve used Apple's billions in cash just sitting around and take that and create their own cell towers, routers, etc to make up their own "MobileMe" network for their iPhone?

Wasn't there an option for Apple have "rented" space of a networks operation? I forget the terminology that was first being discussed prior to the iPhone being introduced in January 2007.

Couldn't Apple have hold off because didn't HTC come out at the same time with a touch screen phone? And we know a couple of years later, Google's Android... Apple could have come in then to a network and said look at what we have to be an Android killer or HTC killer?!

Or Apple could have relented to some of the demands placed on them by Verizon or T-Mobile or others who might have had a better network. Of course, the iPhone could have crashed those networks too if it beat the pants off the competition and became just as popular regardless of "there's a map for that!" coming from some other carrier.

There are always choices...

And my opening remarks of my earlier post, I meant it facetiously...

In other news regarding the sucky AT&T network...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...le.as.verizon/
  • Reply 108 of 137
    Quote:

My goodness! Did you even read Page 2? Or the New York Times article? If you won't I really don't see a point in continuing the conversation, do you?

Thank you for illustrating my nay-sayer point so well.

I am not interested in an obscure newspaper that references another article that references another article. Bottom line Consumer Reports lists AT$T as the worst in customer satisfaction. WORST!!!! There are many, many people dissatisfied with AT$Ts crappy service, unfortunately there are AT$T trolls such as yourself trying to put a lid on it. Sorry, in a year or so when AT$Ts customers jump ship with the iPHone then I am sure all you trolls will have great service since no one will be using it. I hope you enjoy that AT$T check you just cashed.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cam80 View Post

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones with an iPhone that has a good antenna.

I find it interesting that so many Americans think that the USA = The entire world.

I live in Australia and have had my first iPhone (3GS) for 5 months now, and I've never had calls drop out. I'm currently inside a building and have the full 5 bars, in fact basically everywhere I frequent I have 4 or 5 bars of service.

I can't fault the mobile reception, and I think the iPhone is a fantastic phone. I'd just prefer it if the batteries lasted a week.

Fortunately you do not have to deal with AT$Ts crap.
  • Reply 110 of 137
    I can buy an iPod touch for music, videos, podcasts, etc. Buy it once, and I am done. I can also use a generic phone that has very few features.

iPhone with AT&T or Verizon - Choose your thief. Do I really want to pay $100 every month just to make a phone call?

• Reply 111 of 137
    You can't replace Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, and many more with the cast of crap they have on today.

Talent and lack of original writing content is killing SNL.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    Quote:

I am not interested in an obscure newspaper that references another article that references another article. Bottom line Consumer Reports lists AT$T as the worst in customer satisfaction. WORST!!!! There are many, many people dissatisfied with AT$Ts crappy service, unfortunately there are AT$T trolls such as yourself trying to put a lid on it. Sorry, in a year or so when AT$Ts customers jump ship with the iPHone then I am sure all you trolls will have great service since no one will be using it. I hope you enjoy that AT$T check you just cashed.

So you didn't read either article, including the one from the not-so-obscure New York Times (which was referenced by an actual wireless testing company-I'm sure if the NYT article ripped AT&T you'd be all over it, eh?). And you have no clue what was written in the Lincoln article, nor the reference to the independent wireless testing that backed up the stats I provided earlier.

And you realize the Consumer Reports info was a non-scientific survey of Consumer Reports clients who chose to respond to the survey, not any sort of testing of network performance. You know that, right?

So I'm a troll because I offer something other than juvenile "AT$T" sucks! generalizations, something with references and more reasoned opinion than "it sucks for me so it sucks for everyone and anyone who says otherwise sucks too" kind of crap you seem to be throwing? Yeah, I'm paid by AT&T to post here, must be. Yeah, I'm the troll.

If head in sand works for you, go for it. Just don't expect any credibility to follow. You've blown it completely now.

I dare you to read the articles. They aren't long, you should be able to handle it I double dare you, Ostrich.

Edit: On second thought, don't. I apologize to everyone else for stretching this conversation out this far. It's clear nothing will come from it. I'm done with this dunderhead and won't respond further.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Your either 1 lying 2 never used an iphone in 3.5 years or 3 stay out in BFE where all of 6 people live so you don't have to worry about network congestion. I bet 95% of the people on this board who have an iphone experienced dropped calls it is just that common with AT&T service.

or 4, talking tongue in cheek. I have noticed in the last few months on other comment sites that more and more posters and doing this sort of way over the top tongue in cheek / parody type posts. But us apple users don't seem to have a sense of humor uless it is a joke about. Dell or Microsoft unfortunatly. Mind you, the joke want that funny when today I had two dropped calls and 3 that would just never go through.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

And if a TELEPHONE can not make CALLS then it is a piece of junk. The iPhone could do many things wrong but when it can not even do its core task right then it is crap. Yes I know the iPhone is not at fault but unfortunately the iPhone is only 1/2 the equation. AT$T is the other. Put together and the iPhone is only %50 good.

So using your logic, a Porsche is a piece of junk because it breaks down whilst being driven on some harsh off road mountain dirt track.

The reality appears to be that AT&T provides a dirt track network when they promised twelve lane freeway.

Just because your iPhone doesn't work on your network doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad phone in itself. I have my iPhone on Orange in the UK for over a month now and so far it's been very good with calls and data, the only places I've noticed dropped calls are in the areas where all my previous handsets have dropped calls, i.e. it's the network, not the phone. In fact they've been one or two places where the iPhone has maintained connection where previous handsets have failed!

However, Apple did box itself into a corner with this exclusivity arrangement with AT&T. The UK is a good example of that, Orange had great demand for the iPhone despite it having been available on the O2 network for some time.

The sooner the iPhone is available on other carriers in the US the better.

Credit to AT&T, they're task is more difficult as they have a physically larger area and population to provide service to than the network providers in the UK.
  • Reply 115 of 137
    Quote:

Thats funny. Now not only are the people that are having issues imagining them, they are 13 years old. Grow up. That is not the case. And if a TELEPHONE can not make CALLS then it is a piece of junk. The iPhone could do many things wrong but when it can not even do its core task right then it is crap. Yes I know the iPhone is not at fault but unfortunately the iPhone is only 1/2 the equation. AT$T is the other. Put together and the iPhone is only %50 good.

Except on the Rogers network, and with Bell and Telus, we use it as a phone. No dropped calls. Superb service and coverage, even the deeps of the northern woods. I can tether while under a tree and in a snow fort, fer chrissakes.

That's some piece of junk right there.

The only people having issues are those of you on the AT&T network. Sucks to be you.

If you admit it isn't the iPhone's fault, then why do you then go on to say it's 1/2 the equation?

Duh.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except on the Rogers network, and with Bell and Telus, we use it as a phone. No dropped calls. Superb service and coverage, even the deeps of the northern woods. I can tether while under a tree and in a snow fort, fer chrissakes.

That's some piece of junk right there.

The only people having issues are those of you on the AT&T network. Sucks to be you.

If you admit it isn't the iPhone's fault, then why do you then go on to say it's 1/2 the equation?

Duh.

Because for all phones, the carrier is 1/2 the equations, not hard to do the math. When 1/2 the equation is crap guess what? Doesn't suck to be me, sucks to be AT$T, they will reap the crappy service they sow.
  • Reply 117 of 137
    Quote:

Edit: On second thought, don't. I apologize to everyone else for stretching this conversation out this far. It's clear nothing will come from it. I'm done with this dunderhead and won't respond further.

Yeah you will. You are paid by AT$T to respond, of course you are terrible at it but you still will respond. You are wrong and you know it. You read stuff on the internet and it instantly must be true. Regardless that you have thousands and thousands of REAL customers complaining, they all must be lying because you read on the internet somewhere that AT$T is awesome. Really, way to go. Please put your head back in the sand where it belongs you are clueless.
  • Reply 118 of 137
    Quote:

Because for all phones, the carrier is 1/2 the equations,

Not by the language you employed. If it isn't the iPhone's fault when it comes to making calls and it IS AT&T's fault, then the iPhone has nothing to do with the problem. It's AT&T's service that is the issue, not the iPhone. If you're talking in terms of just using a phone, then obviously the carrier is half the equation.
  • Reply 119 of 137
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

So using your logic, a Porsche is a piece of junk because it breaks down whilst being driven on some harsh off road mountain dirt track.

that has to be the largest step in logic ever and so terribly wrong.

actually by his logic if a Porsche doesnt start and you cant drive it, its a piece of junk.
  • Reply 120 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

The reality appears to be that AT&T provides a dirt track network when they promised twelve lane freeway.

Just because your iPhone doesn't work on your network doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad phone in itself. I have my iPhone on Orange in the UK for over a month now and so far it's been very good with calls and data, the only places I've noticed dropped calls are in the areas where all my previous handsets have dropped calls, i.e. it's the network, not the phone. In fact they've been one or two places where the iPhone has maintained connection where previous handsets have failed!

However, Apple did box itself into a corner with this exclusivity arrangement with AT&T. The UK is a good example of that, Orange had great demand for the iPhone despite it having been available on the O2 network for some time.

The sooner the iPhone is available on other carriers in the US the better.

Credit to AT&T, they're task is more difficult as they have a physically larger area and population to provide service to than the network providers in the UK.

Your analogy is off. If I buy a washing machine guess what it is supposed too do........ Wash. If I buy a snow shovel guess what it is supposed to do.......Shovel snow. If I but an iPhone guess what it is supposed to do....... Make phone calls. Guess what it doesnt do.......Make phone calls. I said it before, the iPhone is great, the issue is AT$T but the problem is when you only have one carrier to use that phone on and that carrier SUCKS, guess what, the phone sucks too. I am sure it is great where you live but that does not do anybody in the USA any good and that is what this is about, AT$T and its crappy service in USA. If I move to the UK I will be sure to use your provider.