Apple seen selling 1.4 million $600 "Kindle Killer" tablets in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    I hope the price is more like $399 and not $599. That would really fit into everyone's price range. But, I am glad to see my stocks go up.
  • Reply 22 of 148
    Even if they make this mythical device a subset of the iPod line it would make more sense. Standalone "iSlate" ain't workin'.
  • Reply 23 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope that in 10.7 The Dashboard layer's widgets are replaced with apps.

When you purchase an app, you can try it out in the Dashboard right away.

The only problem is GPS chips, multitouch, screen rotation, etc.

Multi-touch is already in the trackpad. I don?t even use scrollbars in most apps on a MBP, just two finger scrolling. rotation works well but there are few apps that utilize it.

Dashboard Widgets were no updated and are severly lacking in Snow Leopard. The move to 64-bit for Dashboard has also brought some quirks with it, or maybe that is using a more modern WebKit engine with older Widget code.

Adding a GPS chip to Mac notebooks should have happened already, IMO. It?s small, cheap and very useful. They did add an IP address-based time zone finder with SL, but a GPS chip would be useful, too. They also need to update Safari, Widgets to utilize the HTML5 geo location for weather, movies, maps, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melodyof1974 View Post

I hope the price is more like $399 and not $599. That would really fit into everyone's price range. But, I am glad to see my stocks go up.

It will be priced higher at first and then the price will come down over time.

iPod $399-499 --> $79-399

iPhone $499-599 --> $99-299
  • Reply 25 of 148
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1540226]"We believe Apple's tablet would compete well in the netbook category even though it would not be a netback."

A 'netback'? Double Typo Alert?! ...shivers and shakes... that almost sounds 'slur-ish' like... but we know that is not the case!

Quote:

Still, some industry watchers believe Apple could use its tablet device to drastically alter the landscape for print and digital print media by shaking things up and changing the rules of the game.

should read... "shaking things up 'AGAIN'...
  • Reply 26 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The best part about articles and speculation like this is imagining how infuriated it must make Ballmer.

Or when the product is introduced and everyones idea of the perfect tablet doesn't contain their ideal specs... it's RANT TIME!

Ballmer is always infuriated! MS get's showed up at every turn and he is at the helm of the company... Gates got out just in time! \
  • Reply 27 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Wonder if there is no tablet at this announcement. What then?

Then Apple will have really screwed up big time. If Apple isn't planning on announcing the tablet, then they would be trying to control the hype. If Apple were only using this announcement for new laptops, iLife, etc..., or anything else, they wouldn't want people to be disappointed.

Instead, they can get by without saying what they will announce, because it will in fact be the tablet, and doing it this way just builds more hype.
  • Reply 28 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Then Apple will have really screwed up big time. If Apple isn't planning on announcing the tablet, then they would be trying to control the hype. If Apple were only using this announcement for new laptops, iLife, etc..., or anything else, they wouldn't want people to be disappointed.

No, the rumor mongers will have screwed up big time. It's easy to forget that everything we think we know about this product and when it will appear is based entirely on rumor. Apple can't be seen as having screwed up for not releasing a product that they've never even acknowledged is in development, let alone at a place and time that others have guessed.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Very unlikely.

If this thing has an ARM processor (which in all likelihood it will), it will not run OS X and would not be considered a Mac.

Just to be picky ...

iPhone runs OS X, and OS X runs on intel, ARM, and PowerPC chips.

The processor has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 30 of 148
    Dear AI,

Couldn't you just put these lines of speculations without the recapitulation of the matter?

It's really annoying that when an analyst open his mouth and says 2 ou 3 sentences (of speculation), you resume and repeat all the other rumors from the past 6 months.

It's so redundant!

I'm not fan of twitter but you should use that length for each post because you don't come up with more new infos at all.
  • Reply 31 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Wonder if there is no tablet at this announcement. What then?

Stock will drop, of course.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OS X familiar UI is DOOMED!!

As I said in another thread, as more and more "iTablets" or "iSlates" start eating into Mac laptop sales, much like netbooks are doing to PC laptop sales now, the "iPhone OS" will slowly begin to dominate, leaving the present OS X UI as we know it only for the Mac "Pro" products eventually.

So we are going to see some sort of hybid OS in the new iTablets/iSlates. More powerful, but the simpler UI. Especially if we have to wave our hands and fingers at it to interface with it.

I had a friend tell me that he thought that it looked like Mac OS was being condensed so that it could be the eventual "all in one" OS for most Apple products, with the obvious exceptions being the iPod Classic, Nano, Mini, etc. He specifically mentioned this in light of the space he gained on his iMac and MBP when he upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. However, I'm not sure Apple would want to use the new tablet as an "experimental" platform to work that out.
  • Reply 33 of 148
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Ha-ha. That means the report was extremely right wing.

Frankly it is currently a favored word of the left when faced with common sense.

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

And a couple of months before the 5G iPod came out, Steve Jobs said no one would bother watching video on such a small screen. Or the fact that he said flash was for cheaper players a few months before the nano came out. Or how in an interview after the 3rd gen iPod Touch was announced, he pretty much lied about having no interest in sticking a camera in the iPod Touch.

CEOs do NOT tell the truth unless it's time to make an announcement. If they blabbed about everything they were working on, they wouldn't make for a very good CEO (or senior executive in general).

No, what's much more important is if higher ups start retreating in saying anything at all, that's because a gag order has probably been put into place to make sure that the final information about a deal doesn't leak. Anything before that is pretty much rumor/speculation that fuels the fire. For example, when Kevin Rose nailed the September iPod event announcements in 2008, no one was surprised and everyone seemed "disappointed". Or the fact that there was a confluence of signs that the iPod Touch was going to get a camera and it didn't.

Not saying something is much more important than saying something in CEO land, where every word is guarded. More focus is spent on what IS said instead of what ISN'T said.

Deliberate misdirection then? probably not.
  • Reply 35 of 148
    With college books costing hundreds a pop these days, imagine an always connected tablet that can contain all your low price interactive electronic books, your class notes and hand outs, your schedules and lecture videos and recordings, your magazines, your tunes, TV shows, movies and games etc... Plus it knows who and where you and others are and can communicate and/or guide you to your next destination.

Wow a lot of industries are going to change folks. Hold on to your hats.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 36 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just to be picky ...

iPhone runs OS X, and OS X runs on intel, ARM, and PowerPC chips.

The processor has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, you're wrong. The iPhone runs the iPhone OS.

If you look at all of Apple's documentation, whether it be end user or developer documentation, the operating system that runs on the iPhone is never referred to as OS X.
  • Reply 37 of 148
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I had a friend tell me that he thought that it looked like Mac OS was being condensed so that it could be the eventual "all in one" OS for most Apple products, with the obvious exceptions being the iPod Classic, Nano, Mini, etc. He specifically mentioned this in light of the space he gained on his iMac and MBP when he upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. However, I'm not sure Apple would want to use the new tablet as an "experimental" platform to work that out.

The shrinkage in the installed size of OS/X is well documented. Instead of repeating the ramblings of an idiot spend a little time looking for the truth.

As to what is included in OS/X Apple is certainly trying to trim out legacy crap. In many cases though the actual space saved is minimal as new APIs are introduced. The fact is a desktop OS, especially a UNIX based one, has to serve many more needs than an OS for a Phone. In effect iPhone OS condenses OS/X (to use your word) into a form suitable for a phone.

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Instead, they can get by without saying what they will announce, because it will in fact be the tablet, and doing it this way just builds more hype.

I'd laugh for days if there were no "slate" introduced, and of course load up on more AAPL as it gets hammered by Wall Street. What a country, where you can call yourself an "analyst" (which technically means that they "analyze") and make stuff up to influence gullible people to buy manipulated stock to inflate the price, which in turn plummets in value once the fibs you've seeded don't work out.
  • Reply 39 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Prepare to see Kindles flood ebay a day after Apple's tablet release.

I still fail to see what a tablet has got to do with a Kindle. They are different products. The whole point of e-ink is it's not a computer. They are not and never will be the same product category.
  • Reply 40 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

With college books costing hundreds a pop these days, imagine an always connected tablet that can contain all your low price interactive electronic books, your class notes and hand outs, your schedules and lecture videos and recordings, your magazines, your tunes, TV shows, movies and games etc... Plus it knows who and where you and others are and can communicate and/or guide you to your next destination.

Wow a lot of industries are going to change folks. Hold on to your hats.

Time will tell.

It could totally alter the way higher education is obtained for a lot of people. Imagine, when you pay your tuition, gaining access to automatic downloads of lecture videos, notes etc,. The only time your physical presence would be required would be for tests, labs, or fulfilling a mandatory minimum class attendance requirement.