Apple seen selling 1.4 million $600 "Kindle Killer" tablets in 2010

Comments

• Reply 61 of 148
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Lol, you wouldn't save even 15% on an electronic copy of a book, and with something like a digital copy you are not able to sell it back so that 300 dollar Organic Chemistry book will just sit and rot digitally..I'd rather buy the paper back and sell it back or just rent the book from a multitude of different online shops.

Also, laptops do the exact thing, and are better at it than any tablet ever would be and you don't even have a keyboard (typing without looking is a big deal especially in a college course). Even if it has API for a keyboard/mouse that's more loose stuff to carry...might as well just have bought a Macbook for a few hundred more

Please don't take the following as being confrontational. I'm just offering a counter-point to what you said.

Some enterprising soul will sit in class with a laptop, transcribe the notes and sell copies. In classes that have 100+- attending the lecture., even $3 a copy could put some decent change in you pocket. The better one is a transcribing a live lecture, the more $$ they make. As far as the digital textbooks go, why sell them back to the book store? Couldn't you sell the book directly to another student? I see a definite niche for the tablet in the classroom.
  • Reply 62 of 148
    I'm wondering how the new product might fare as an input device, ie for taking notes, light typing/writing. Do you think it could replace the writers journal notebook? It would clearly be light enough and small enough, but as I type this post on an iPhone, I wonder how efficient or comfortable the "keyboarding" might be. I could see a wireless removable keypad that sits underneath and looks like the new iMac keyboards, but I doubt that would be apples style as it might be cumbersome
  • Reply 63 of 148
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OS X familiar UI is DOOMED!!

As I said in another thread, as more and more "iTablets" or "iSlates" start eating into Mac laptop sales, much like netbooks are doing to PC laptop sales now, the "iPhone OS" will slowly begin to dominate, leaving the present OS X UI as we know it only for the Mac "Pro" products eventually.

So we are going to see some sort of hybid OS in the new iTablets/iSlates. More powerful, but the simpler UI. Especially if we have to wave our hands and fingers at it to interface with it.

From you lips to God's or Jobs ears. (same difference really)
  • Reply 64 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

As far as the digital textbooks go, why sell them back to the book store? Couldn't you sell the book directly to another student? I see a definite niche for the tablet in the classroom.

One way to lower the cost of buying textbooks is to sell them back to the store or sell them to another student. These books will likely be DRMed like iTS videos where they are tied to a user?s account and not likely transferable.

Despite iFail?s ?all-or-nothing? fatalist answer this may not be a problem for many students that would rather have the ease of transportation than the heavy physical book. It could also mean that updates for correction that plague all textbooks can be dealt with quickly and easily leading to a better experience. This can be important for books with calculations, not just basic text typos that are easily figured out.

While I think this will happen at some point the initial uptake may be slow and should be slow. First we?ll have students buy non-textbooks, like literature, that can now be found on eReaders already, and then later more complex textbooks. Even if the price is the same as a textbook and it can?t se sold back or transferred it can afford a benefit to the user, but I think that very powerful annotation system needs to first be set up to make this a gamer changer. My only fear is that it won?t be open source or easily transferable so any annotation overlay for a book won?t without other OSes, which would be very disappointing.
  • Reply 65 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One way to lower the cost of buying textbooks is to sell them back to the store or sell them to another student. These books will likely be DRMed like iTS videos where they are tied to a user’s account and not likely transferable.

Despite iFail’s “all-or-nothing” fatalist answer this may not be a problem for many students that would rather have the ease of transportation than the heavy physical book. It could also mean that updates for correction that plague all textbooks can be dealt with quickly and easily leading to a better experience. This can be important for books with calculations, not just basic text typos that are easily figured out.

While I think this will happen at some point the initial uptake may be slow and should be slow. First we’ll have students buy non-textbooks, like literature, that can now be found on eReaders already, and then later more complex textbooks. Even if the price is the same as a textbook and it can’t se sold back or transferred it can afford a benefit to the user, but I think that very powerful annotation system needs to first be set up to make this a gamer changer. My only fear is that it won’t be open source or easily transferable so any annotation overlay for a book won’t without other OSes, which would be very disappointing.

Would it be practicle then, to be able to pay a fee to "unlock" the book an transfer ownership say, one time only, before having to purchase a new one? Maybe have it where the transfer could only take place at an authorized book store?
  • Reply 66 of 148
    Quote:

One way to lower the cost of buying textbooks is to sell them back to the store or sell them to another student. These books will likely be DRMed like iTS videos where they are tied to a user?s account and not likely transferable.

Despite iFail?s ?all-or-nothing? fatalist answer this may not be a problem for many students that would rather have the ease of transportation than the heavy physical book. It could also mean that updates for correction that plague all textbooks can be dealt with quickly and easily leading to a better experience. This can be important for books with calculations, not just basic text typos that are easily figured out.

While I think this will happen at some point the initial uptake may be slow and should be slow. First we?ll have students buy non-textbooks, like literature, that can now be found on eReaders already, and then later more complex textbooks. Even if the price is the same as a textbook and it can?t se sold back or transferred it can afford a benefit to the user, but I think that very powerful annotation system needs to first be set up to make this a gamer changer. My only fear is that it won?t be open source or easily transferable so any annotation overlay for a book won?t without other OSes, which would be very disappointing.

Personally, education is one of the most exciting opportunities for the Tablet, inasmuch as touch, tilt and programmatic interactivity open the door to physics books that incorporate real physics, math books that can automatically increase or decrease difficulty based upon the skill level of the student or language books that test and correct your diction in real-time, while providing visual gateways to more holistic understanding of the peoples and cultures of the language that you are learning.

Jobs specifically touted a vision some years back (around the time of NeXT) for where he thought education was headed that is heavily congruent with what people are anticipating for the Tablet in this segment so I've got believe this is a segment that is strategic to Apple (as they are already pretty heavily invested in ED via the Mac).
  • Reply 67 of 148
    Quote:

Would it be practicle then, to be able to pay a fee to "unlock" the book an transfer ownership say, one time only, before having to purchase a new one?

Sounds practical to me, but historically content owners don?t want you being able to transfer your content. They aren?t likely to invest and police a backend to deal with it.
  • Reply 68 of 148
    Why iPhone OS won’t work…
    Why Mac OS won’t work…
  • Reply 69 of 148
    Quote:

It's been awhile since I bought a textbook, but when I was doing so, I rarely found that they had any significant resale value, since the books were revised nearly every year, making them useless to anyone else. Something tells me this scam was too good to give up and is still being pulled today.
  • Reply 70 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's been awhile since I bought a textbook, but when I was doing so, I rarely found that they had any significant resale value, since the books were revised nearly every year, making them useless to anyone else. Something tells me this scam was too good to give up and is still being pulled today.

I had mentioned that in that posting but removed it. I do recall many of my books being updated yearly with newer version seemingly being rearranged to make the buyer not bother with a previous version despite having the same content.

I also recall that reselling your book had to be timed right in order to get the best price and even then it wasn?t so great. Your best bet was to hope for a shortage and sell to a needy student.
  • Reply 71 of 148
    Quote:

Some enterprising soul will sit in class with a laptop, transcribe the notes and sell copies. In classes that have 100+- attending the lecture., even $3 a copy could put some decent change in you pocket. The better one is a transcribing a live lecture, the more $$ they make.

People have been doing this for decades (albeit with pen and paper, not computers).
  • Reply 72 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post

I'm wondering how the new product might fare as an input device, ie for taking notes, light typing/writing. Do you think it could replace the writers journal notebook?

Poorly is my guess.
  • Reply 73 of 148
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Somehow I doubt they'll sell these rumored systems, if they actually exist, at $600. That would be at the subsidized rate by Verizon and AT&T. Unsubsidized probably twice that. 1.4 million in the first year? Heck, if $600 is for real then probably at least double that.
  • Reply 74 of 148
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This tablet will be $999 at the low end.

...and that would be perfectly fine with me. i was thinking around $899-higher.

those of you who think this price range would kill this rumored product are, i believe, sadly mistaken. there are many folks out there just waiting to put down a grand for one of these machines. i would. i never bought an iphone, but i'd buy one of these.
  • Reply 75 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

People have been doing this for decades (albeit with pen and paper, not computers).

very true, indeed. But the ability to purchase a near 100% perfect, word-for-word, transcribed, copy of the day's lecture for $3+-, sounds pretty good. Especially if it is a legible copy. I never knew anybody that could transcribe that good with pen & paper. Waayyy back when I was in college, I would have gladly paid for such a service.
  • Reply 76 of 148
    [QUOTE=All iPhone OS Cocoa apps being multi-touch ready will be designed to work in standard OS X for Tablets--a streamlined version of OS X with multi-touch is what I suspect Apple Engineering is finalizing.[/QUOTE]

So, would such a device be considered a Mac Tablet and as such, a Mac variant and so part of the quarterly Mac unit sales count?

Netbooks are counted as PC sales, yes? So, I would hope that a Mac tablet would count as a Mac sale.

Not sure why, but I'm just anticipating the changes in the market share ranking scramble that happens quarterly. If the iPhone halo effect continues apace and the Mac Tablet piles on ... we could eventually see a massive quarterly record along the lines of 5 million total Mac units sold, which would be quite nice.
  • Reply 77 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Lol, you wouldn't save even 15% on an electronic copy of a book, and with something like a digital copy you are not able to sell it back so that 300 dollar Organic Chemistry book will just sit and rot digitally..I'd rather buy the paper back and sell it back or just rent the book from a multitude of different online shops.

Also, laptops do the exact thing, and are better at it than any tablet ever would be and you don't even have a keyboard (typing without looking is a big deal especially in a college course). Even if it has API for a keyboard/mouse that's more loose stuff to carry...might as well just have bought a Macbook for a few hundred more

On the contrary you will save a lot and the books will be a lot better by replacing the static paper product with dynamic and interactive electronic versions protected by DRM. Note that printing, shipping and storing of paper books cost a lot. It is also much more difficult to correct and update paper books or DVDs when errors are discovered.

Moreover, you will be able to "lend" or "sell" the electronic books to others. (i.e. when you lend it you lose access to it until it is returned although you will own the digital rights; when you sell it you sell the rights. The books will never be worn or torn , you will be able to add/remove bookmarks, highlights and notes in the books. You will be able to search quickly, watch videos instead of still images, report errors in the books and have them corrected more quickly etc...

Note that MacBooks don't have built-in GPS, 3G or 4G networking access to the cloud, Compass, accelerometer etc…

A tablet has handwriting recognition, you can draw, sketch, take pictures or video clips, record voice or video conference more easily with a tablet.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 78 of 148
    What would be a cool feature for this person is to have the Tablet have IR and WiFi to interact with the AppleTV. There are times when the TV is being used by my better half and I want to do things on the AppleTV that is also connected to the TV. Not having the use of TV screen display during these times presents a problem.

If the Tablet could work independently with the AppleTV and have its menu displayed on the Tablet I could work on doing AppleTV-like activities while better half is enjoying her TV program etc.

There should not be any issue in renting or purchasing or playing music without the use of the TV screen as the Tablet display would suffice.

This all could be done easily while not being in the same room as the TV. Playing Photo slide shows or even watching a movie should be possible as well -- hopefully.

I also hope the Tablet allows me to connect to one of my Macs in Screen Sharing mode via WiFi -- just another useful feature.

It's endless fun....
  • Reply 79 of 148
    Hmmmm -- I wonder how this Tablet will be backed up. Maybe to a Time Capsule via Wi-Fi or maybe via USB cable to a Mac much like is done for the iPhone. Then again, with a MobileMe account one could use its Backup application to store limited amounts of data to Apple's iDisk cloud servers -- compressed and encrypted of course.
  • Reply 80 of 148
    Another question leaps to mind -- what kind of power source is likely to sit inside the Tablet I wonder ? If one is to use it hours on end it best have a fairly useful charge life such as 6 to 8 hours. If not, then a quick change battery pack will be needed.