Failed terrorist attack prompts new international flight rules

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

.... I'm actually for that idea if True.. Theirs a HUGE difference between SOCKS & Country

All is well. I can take the ban on either but I do wear black socks so I would be in trouble.

Crap is going to happen and passengers are definitely going to keep an eye out because of 9/11. If I was sitting next to the guy who tried to ignite the chemical, his a$$ would be beat down with a 13" aluminum macbook. With these new rules, I guess I would have to settle for my fists.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a pic of his underwear and a link to the Wikipage about the explosive he was going to use.

... The news has sunk to a new low
  • Reply 43 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

All is well. I can take the ban on either but I do wear black socks so I would be in trouble.

Crap is going to happen and passengers are definitely going to keep an eye out because of 9/11. If I was sitting next to the guy who tried to ignite the chemical, his a$$ would be beat down with a 13" aluminum macbook. With these new rules, I guess I would have to settle for my fists.

Or slice them with a MacBook Air ... Yeah man the Vibe and the way people banned together when 9/11 happened was how the country should be more of... It's sad that TRAGEDIES make us realize that we need to stick together
  • Reply 44 of 103
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Or slice them with a MacBook Air ... Yeah man the Vibe and the way people banned together when 9/11 happened was how the country should be more of... It's sad that TRAGEDIES make us realize that we need to stick together

Very true. I am pro-life when I am on an airplane and if I can get my hands on someone trying to be opposite of me, I will express their anti-life attitude on them directly. We should be more about Peace and Love.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What a bunch of paranoid fascist crap. Anyone who flies (and therefore tacitly agrees to this kind of security) is a fool and has no right to call themselves "free." Am I the only one that remembers what the world was like before the police state?

In this particular instance, the events showed that the security they already had in place was actually working, but that by not following their own draconian rules, the police state dropped the ball themselves. How is it a rational reaction to dramatically increase security yet again, and infringe everyone's rights even more?

Answer: it isn't. It just makes the cops look good and "saves face" for the security forces which failed us yet again.

For all their bluster and all their weapons, the Americans sure are scaredey-cats. What happened to having a little courage? More importantly what happened to freedom?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1775

I can't help wonder if the fact the country involved (Nigeria) is what caused the ball to be dropped in this whole thing. The country has become synonymous with scam and I can't help wonder if that perception clouded judgment. Already supposed links to Al Qaeda are coming out. Wonderful-somebody get those people a freaking map.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobble gobble View Post

I encourage you to leave your compound in Montana and visit places like China, Burma, Iran, Syria, or Libya. Maybe then you'll have some idea what a police state is really like.

Never had to live in the US during the 1950s I take it. Look up McCarthyism some time and learn about how fear resulted in key liberties being lost. We have been down this road before and it wasn't pretty the last time.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I don't understand the privacy concern over the new scanners? (I read here: http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/millimeter_wave.shtm) You don't even have to break your stride to be scanned.

Have you ever gone through one? I got a second screening because I had a wadded up receipt in my pocket. That goes well beyond the mission of the TSA, and that is what pisses me off. Their job is to determine if someone is a threat or not a threat.

Today (5AM, Lambert St. Louis Airport, Concourse A, lane 3) I watched as a guy went through the metal detector with a 3-4" knife sticking out of his back pocket. He made it through. TSA violated protocol in not forcing him to do a pat-down when he walked through the first time with a blackberry on his hip holster. The knife is something that the freaking detectors are supposed to catch...

With the millimeter wave stuff, I have little faith that the deviant on the other side of the screen isn't more interested in looking at genitalia (or whatever) than trying to find someone smuggling something through in their clothes.

It is all security theater. The money spent on excessive airport screening would go much farther in the air. Everybody knows you can easily smuggle an explosive through a magnetometer, but enough people also know that it is very hard to get a detonator through to make it a huge risk.

(Oh, and the summary's comment that the flight attendants are too busy during the last hour to notice is a bit of BS; they are much more likely to notice something odd when they are actually standing up or walking the aisles than when they are sitting and chatting in the jumpseats. Also, it isn't that hard to know exactly where you are if you are flying a known route, especially as you approach your final destination. I was proud of myself for spotting Telluride based on a friend's description of the town while flying by at 500MPH and at 38,000 feet.)
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Why do we need new measures? Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the system worked just fine.

I have a bridge to sell you and a new MBA with 2.5GHZ 8GB RAM & A 500GBSSD
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobble gobble View Post

I encourage you to leave your compound in Montana and visit places like China, Burma, Iran, Syria, or Libya. Maybe then you'll have some idea what a police state is really like.

Very true, but where are the PEOPLE TO RISE UP AND SPEAK FOR EQUALITY AND DEMAND CHANGE AND TO STICK WITH IT???

Look at Ghandis people when there were being beaten by the british and decided to respond to their violence by non violence

Or African Americans who were being enslaved un-rightly by whites for no reason, but yet stayed positive and eventually had someone from the ranks led by the king of kings to lead them out of enslavement and into equality

NO ONE SAID IT WILL BE EASY...BUT THE TOUGHER IT GETS, YOU KNOW THE REWARD IS GOING TO BE GREAT ONCE THE DUST SETTLES.

The people need to release FEAR AND DRIVE CHANGE!!
  • Reply 50 of 103
    This is pure insanity. Now all international passenters flying to the U.S. will pay because the morons who run the airline industry are obviously incapable of following their own procedures. How in heaven's name can a passenger who is already on a terrorist "watch" list be allowed to board an airplane without even the most cursory "pat down"? Had this simple and obvious action been taken, this man would never have gotten on the plane. What exactly does the airline industry think the terrorist "watch" list is for?
  • Reply 51 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

Conversely, having a GPS enabled iPhone on board completely voids the intent of forcing airlines to stop presenting passengers with GPS/flight location data.

I'd just like to point out that I've tried taking my iPhone out of airplane mode to see if the GPS would show the plane's location, heading, speed, etc. on a map in MotionX GPS, and it is unable to find a signal when pressed up against the window.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:

Failed terrorist attack prompts new international flight rules

What can be done, will be done. Security is as easy and as complicated as that unfortunately.

Now bombs sewn in underwear like this Nigerian, next sewn in bodies like illegal drugs.

Now planes with passports and visas, next schools in tiny remote towns by illegal aliens entering this country from oceans and open borders.

If this continues, we might be seeing a whole new country being formed in the US.

A internal one that grows upon acceptance of those who want to be a part of it, with a exclusion of those who don't. Like a growing prison with high security and multiple walls all around, the only difference is stability and peace is on the inside.

Like the reason why the Great Wall of China was built and why Israel is building walls along the Green Line today.

This chaotic method of trying to find the bad guys like needles in a haystack is going to lose.

We need a border wall along our two neighbor countries with coastline security and then begin a internal purge with zoned security sections.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

This is pure insanity. Now all international passenters flying to the U.S. will pay because the morons who run the airline industry are obviously incapable of following their own procedures. How in heaven's name can a passenger who is already on a terrorist "watch" list be allowed to board an airplane without even the most cursory "pat down"? Had this simple and obvious action been taken, this man would never have gotten on the plane. What exactly does the airline industry think the terrorist "watch" list is for?

He was on a watch list so they say. There wasn't enough information to justify moving his status up further to no fly status. Of course this could be pure baloney, as well as his "parents" supposedly reporting him in beforehand in order to encourage other people to tell on potential terrorist suspects.

Some changes need to be made, really all internationally arriving passengers should be undergoing a full body search and scan.

Cruel yes, but necessary.

Heck, cruise ships might be making international and overseas passenger runs in the future.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just curious why this news is in this particular blog?

It's not in the blog.

It's on the news website.

But likely it's here because it'll affect a LOT of people.

Bet they make everyone check their cell phones and iPods in with their baggage.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

This is epic irony, considering the govt is too stupid to do damned near anything successfully, yet thinks it should have more power and control than ever.

What government? Do you mean that financial institution that is financing both sides hence controls all governments? The one that is promoting and financing all this chaos so as to "convince" everyone that we need to pass new laws and forget about our rights?
  • Reply 56 of 103
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    This loser from Nigeria needs to be dubbed "The Testicle Bomber"
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Quote:

... The news has sunk to a new low

No kidding.

Wow! That small of a explosive can take down a plane?

Guess it's time for better planes or better yet, ocean going cruise ships.

I'm not flying again. Period.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Wow! That small of a explosive can take down a plane?

Sure. You don't need to blow the plane up. All you need is enough of a bang to poke a hole in the thing. The explosive used is the same found in land mines. They're pretty tiny. And some of them can blow up tanks.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    What strikes me is just how naked the security agencies are with these new rules. They're all about mitigating the damage done by the bad guys that they let through! Whether these measures are or aren't effective has nothing to do with the utter capitulation these measures represent.

This is on a slightly different topic, but the recent leak of TSA search guidelines just underscores how inept the whole system is. The security protocols were published on the internet--with very weak protections on content deemed the most sensitive. Why was that information on the internet in the first place? Well, it was for security contractors to know what they were bidding on.

Wasn't one of the arguments for the TSA in the first place that security was too important to leave to the private sector? --that we had to have a government agency take the reins?

I haven't heard any news agency/editorialist/pundit/talking-head comment on this. Talk about short memories...

Where does the fault lie with that fiasco? Is it in the implementation or in the nature of the principle? I think it's clearly the latter.

The TSA is a public-works project and nothing more.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Sure. You don't need to blow the plane up. All you need is enough of a bang to poke a hole in the thing. The explosive used is the same found in land mines. They're pretty tiny. And some of them can blow up tanks.

Poking a hole isn?t enough. You need to disrupt it?s ability to maintain flight. Of course, if you want to scare everyone everywhere all you need to do is soil your underwear with PETN and light yourself on fire.

Mythbusters busted the explosive decompression myth awhile back?