Former Google China president reveals details on Apple's tablet

Comments

• Reply 121 of 226
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Yeah, that could work. But what if I'm chatting with a female friend and she asks me if I think she's getting fat. So she wants me to see how her jeans fit in the back. With a stand she could step back from the tablet and do a 180 degree turn so I can take a look. Without a stand it gets kinda awkward.

Just tell her to turn off that other camera.

(Since a camera adds 10 pounds, how many cameras do you have on you?)
  • Reply 122 of 226
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No keyboard. There's very little difference between a Macbook and 13" MBP.

A tablet without a keyboard would be excellent for content consumption (with the caveat that a 10" device must be carried as opposed to stuffed in a pocket) and note taking.

However, unless Apple provides a mobile dock, it's not a laptop replacement for anyone that has to write text a lot (reports, long emails/blogs, presentations, etc). For twitter and chat it's fine. For note taking, probably fine although I might prefer to use a stylus to hand write. Depends on how good the virtual keyboard is. The downside of any virtual keyboard is the screen real estate it takes up.

There are a large segment of users who mostly consumes content on their computers with some light content creation. For them, yes, you could replace a computer with a tablet.

This sounds familiar. People said an iPhone wouldn't work without a physical keypad either. We don't know anything about the device, yet it is being written off. Maybe the on screen keyboard will work great. Maybe it will have a split keyboard perfect for thumb typing on the go, who knows. A new dock connector seems probable as the current one isn't strong enough to hold a tablet upright. Imagine a tablet laying horizontal a dock connector on the bottom. How hard would it be for someone to make a keyboard that connected through that dock connector giving you a laptop like layout, it could even be hinged so it folded. Or maybe none of that will happen. It would still be good for the masses who want a more portable internet device.
  • Reply 123 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Does this tablet make my butt look fat?
  • Reply 124 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Actually the 10.1 is measured diagonally, so the dimensions can certainly made just wide enough to fit into a jacket or coat pocket.

I just did a quick layout and it confirms my suspicion that the size would be 5.5"x8.5" based on a 10.1" diagonal measurement. This puts the mystery product right in the sweet spot for the most popular sized paper-based planners! Say goodbye to Franklin-Covey, Filofax, etc.!

Do you realize how much money people could save with a e-version of a personal planner with cloud-based backup? Not to mention the fruition of the early promise of Newton. If this does everything as promised by Mr. Google China, this will be in a prime position to lead in the tidal wave of replacements for paper-based consumer goods.
  • Reply 125 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Video-conferencing for more than 3 or 4 people, perhaps? With the larger format, maybe up to 8 or 10 people at a time? Maybe they'll sell this as the definitive replacement for in-person meetings.
  • Reply 126 of 226
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I am baffled by your "anti-iPhone OS camp" comment. I am not anti-iPhone OS. Never said so, ever. It's fine, works on my phone just peachy. I was responding to a poster who noted that his MacBook was getting a bit heavy, like mine has become. We were postulating how this rumored tablet might be substituted in our world for a more compact portable platform (the MBA is thin, not compact - it's footprint is still 13" or 30% larger than a 10" product). In order to do so, and be a viable travel companion for business, it would need to do more things along the lines that Mac OS X does than what iPhone OS X does.

I am not expecting to pay less, where did you pull that one out of? I never noted a price point. Nor do I really care, frankly.

And you could put two lousy USB ports on a tablet and it would be more fully featured than a MBA, so it doesn't take a whole lot of effort, creativity, innovation, time, space or expense to make that happen.

After all of this, you then discuss "assumptions" that I made. This is relatively humorous. Hopefully, you can see your own irony here.

Sorry I meant the group of people that are anti iPhone OS on the tablet and justify that stance with what I would consider a list of non-reasons. My cost comment was derived from the common belief that this thing will cost less than a grand and I was still unimpressed with the assumptions made against a tablet running some iteration of iPhone OS and unfortunately made one of my own.

I didn't fully understand what you wanted, but I don't think this tablet is going match what you want it to be. Not because the concept is flawed but because it just doesn't aspire to be that. Maybe someone will make a modbook air (still wouldn't add another USB port or make it more compact though).
  • Reply 127 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just did a quick layout and it confirms my suspicion that the size would be 5.5"x8.5" based on a 10.1" diagonal measurement. This puts the mystery product right in the sweet spot for the most popular sized paper-based planners! Say goodbye to Franklin-Covey, Filofax, etc.!

Interesting speculation...

It would also be cool if you could rotate the unit, so you could read text in vertical mode instead of wide screen video mode. Less scrolling. More info displayed on the screen.

To really benefit the business user, the machine would need to allow multiple apps to be open and copying/pasting between windows/apps - e.g., you'd need to open that spreadsheet, copy parts of some data, put it into a new spreadsheet, create a table or chart and plop that into an open PPT frame. Or even something as simple or rudimentary as side-by-side email message windows. If you can't work on your presentation while you're on the plane en route to the meeting, why would you tote it?

If one product goal is to truly replace paper planners, don't you imagine that some stylus or writing instrument would be required?
  • Reply 128 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

If one product goal is to truly replace paper planners, don't you imagine that some stylus or writing instrument would be required?

Maybe not required, since an on-screen keyboard would be one option. But it would enhance note-taking for anyone not wanting to type.
  • Reply 129 of 226
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    If we can judge by how the iPhone launch went it seems logical that there will be a rich set of base applications for the tablet written by Apple to provide the practical functionality required in this new class of device, but the app store is really the key to it's long term success.

Ultimately there will be unlimited uses for the device but it needs to launch with a defined usefulness to average people. That is why I believe it will be mostly about consuming content and not creating content, at least at first.

I still hope it is not called the slate that just sucks in my opinion. As much as it has been discussed here that SJ would never reuse the name Newton, I think it would be cool to see a resurrection of a device that was way ahead of it's time. I especially like the stylus input capability and handwriting recognition.

The thing that is strange about the report of a web cam is that clearly the device will be able to operate in the portrait and landscape view, where is the camera located?
  • Reply 130 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If we can judge by how the iPhone launch went it seems logical that there will be a rich set of base applications for the tablet written by Apple to provide the practical functionality required in this new class of device, but the app store is really the key to it's long term success.

Ultimately there will be unlimited uses for the device but it needs to launch with a defined usefulness to average people. That is why I believe it will be mostly about consuming content and not creating content, at least at first.

I still hope it is not called the slate that just sucks in my opinion. As much as it has been discussed here that SJ would never reuse the name Newton, I think it would be cool to see a resurrection of a device that was way ahead of it's time. I especially like the stylus input capability and handwriting recognition.

The thing that is strange about the report of a web cam is that clearly the device will be able to operate in the portrait and landscape view, where is the camera located?

That's why it's a little difficult to believe it has a camera. Again, even with the Google guy's comments, this product is still science fiction at this point.
  • Reply 131 of 226
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's why it's a little difficult to believe it has a camera. Again, even with the Google guy's comments, this product is still science fiction at this point.

Its actually hard to believe that a new product would not have a camera of some kind.
  • Reply 132 of 226
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
  • Reply 133 of 226
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Huh? I don't get it. Who is the market audience for this device? My MacBook and MacBook Pro and iPhone do everything that I need... why would I want a tablet?

The same people who have always been the market for this device. The same people who care enough to drudge up rumors and information. People who want to do more with less, on the go.

"Laptops" today are for 1st computer users. They're a mobile, all in one package that can found at any price point. At some point, the person's particular needs are identified, and the people who need a full computer on the go opt for more expensive, more powerful, more complete Laptops.

Other people leave their laptop home, until they opt for more power for less money with the desktop route.

However, smartphones have been replacing peoples'24/7 laptop needs. Not completely, but in terms of the the basics. The iPhone does this better than any other device on the market. iPhone users, which in US terms is around 20 million, have gotten their feet wet with portable computing, the new way (the no-laptop way). We are all aware that the iPhone alone created smartphone users, and at the same time, mobile computer users, out of many NON mobile pc users.

But many are starting to want more than email games and web browsing on the go. It makes that Laptop seem appealing again, but its much more than most need on the go, both in features/size/price. However, an iPhone-like device that is larger with more processing power, multi-tasking ability, and enough screen real estate & genius multi -touch to support Apple's productivity suites, would definitely sell.

As much as the technophiles want all of Snow Leopard crammed into nothing but 1/4 thick HD screen, that's not where we're at right now.
  • Reply 134 of 226
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Sorry I meant the group of people that are anti iPhone OS on the tablet and justify that stance with what I would consider a list of non-reasons. My cost comment was derived from the common belief that this thing will cost less than a grand and I was still unimpressed with the assumptions made against a tablet running some iteration of iPhone OS and unfortunately made one of my own.

I didn't fully understand what you wanted, but I don't think this tablet is going match what you want it to be. Not because the concept is flawed but because it just doesn't aspire to be that. Maybe someone will make a modbook air (still wouldn't add another USB port or make it more compact though).

Eh, no worries, thanks for the kind words, however. It's all as exciting as that thrilling iPhone OS X notification I've come to love and admire: "NOTHING TO UNDO - CANCEL."

I mean, if there's nothing to undo, why must I cancel? And if nothing actually happened, what is it specifically I am canceling? I guess we're all canceling much to do about nuthin'

Strange. Yet another mystery of life...
  • Reply 135 of 226
    I like it, but might it actually be positioned on the corner to accommodate both vertical and horizontal orientation? Or maybe just on the shorter side to act as a vid conf cam and notepad simultaneously? I have no idea.
  • Reply 136 of 226
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

And we can all rely on a long-lasting, integrated battery, thanks to their R&D in that department. Really going to blow the competition out of the water!

And don't forget the "tactile feedback" keyboard the R&D dept came up with, ohhh but wait didn't RIM first use that technology on their touchscreen phones Storm and Storm2? Which many of you blasted and said you'd never want it? Now all of a sudden Apple uses it and its innovative. You guys kill me.
  • Reply 137 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The device does seem to run Mac OS X, which Ireland really wanted, but he?s been claiming a 10.1? tablet for such a long time and has had pretty really nice mockups (sans the Mac OS X UI) that I think he deserves some accolades if his longtime vision is even half right.

Yeah, but me 87 year old Irish Mum could still whip 'em.
  • Reply 138 of 226
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yeah, but me 87 year old Irish Mum could still whip 'em.

I'm not into whips, especially from 87 year old mums.
  • Reply 139 of 226
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I really don't understand how Apple is gonna make me need this device. It sounds like it'll be a nice to have... but i don't see myself using it at work, at home or on public transport..
  • Reply 140 of 226
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And don't forget the "tactile feedback" keyboard the R&D dept came up with, ohhh but wait didn't RIM first use that technology on their touchscreen phones Storm and Storm2? Which many of you blasted and said you'd never want it? Now all of a sudden Apple uses it and its innovative. You guys kill me.

Hmmmmm, and given that you apparently can't tell the difference between a poorly implemented full screen rocker switch scheme and what Apple has patented, you pretty much kill us.