Former Google China president reveals details on Apple's tablet

Comments

• Reply 101 of 226
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If he was privy to actual pre-release information from Apple, he would have signed an NDA beforehand, so he may be legally liable for damages for his public comments.

Not if his buddy told him. His buddy would be liable not him.
  • Reply 102 of 226
    This gentleman is no longer in Apple's "circle" of information. He's an outsider looking in, and his comments are just summing up what ALL the 2009 Tablet Rumors were.

Also Mr.Lee declined a personal offer from Steve himself to comeback to Apple sometime ago. His reason? Microsoft \. ... Who turns down a offer from Steve!?!? Those who do have lost all credibility IMHO.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/15...ool-with-that/

From his lack of tenure with companies, he could simply be another executive troll trying to put his name back out there.

With that said 2010 will put Apple even further ahead again.

Quadra610 said something similar (I guess great minds think alike )
  • Reply 103 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

This is really targeted to the consumer market than it is for education purposes (even though it could be) but the potential in education could be huge if publishers shift to digital content

I believe the textbook industry is on the verge of a tipping point. In the past, educational institutions and professors seemed unaware, or unconcerned, with the textbook costs. Now, more and more professors are structuring their syllabi around non-textbook materials. Or, they're sticking with older editions so students can take advantage of the used book market.

At least that's what it seems like to me.

Publishers will need to do something to compete with this dynamic, right? A lot of schools are publishing podcasts and experimenting with iPod touch content, maybe an uber-popular tablet would be a catalyst.
  • Reply 104 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Also Mr.Lee declined a personal offer from Steve himself to comeback to Apple sometime ago. His reason? Microsoft \. ... Who turns down a offer from Steve!?!? Those who do have lost all credibility IMHO.

Who turns down a job working for a maniacal, control-freak? Probably the same guy who leaves for a bigger pay check.

Anyway, I see your point.
  • Reply 105 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Geez.

http://tinyurl.com/ylyearw

But tell me, why are these medical professionals interested in a consumer hardware device that has an app. store, an MP3 player, a video player, games, an internet browser, etc etc? How is a device that has all of those things considerably more compelling than a device that was designed specifically for the medical profession and does't have all those frivolous extras? How can they be sure that these consumer devices are going to withstand the use they need to endure? There's a reason why Apple have very little presence in this sort of market...
  • Reply 106 of 226
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I seem to recall that the iPhone's OS was a cut down version of the Tablet OS SJ had been working in for a very long time.

Now that you mention it I recall that being stated, too.
  • Reply 107 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You want a device smaller than a macbook air with a multitouch screen that is also more fully featured? Are you expecting to pay less for it too? Sorry, the assumptions you made (as well as your expectations) happened to match my biggest pet peeves about the anti iPhone OS camp.

I am baffled by your "anti-iPhone OS camp" comment. I am not anti-iPhone OS. Never said so, ever. It's fine, works on my phone just peachy. I was responding to a poster who noted that his MacBook was getting a bit heavy, like mine has become. We were postulating how this rumored tablet might be substituted in our world for a more compact portable platform (the MBA is thin, not compact - it's footprint is still 13" or 30% larger than a 10" product). In order to do so, and be a viable travel companion for business, it would need to do more things along the lines that Mac OS X does than what iPhone OS X does.

I am not expecting to pay less, where did you pull that one out of? I never noted a price point. Nor do I really care, frankly.

And you could put two lousy USB ports on a tablet and it would be more fully featured than a MBA, so it doesn't take a whole lot of effort, creativity, innovation, time, space or expense to make that happen.

After all of this, you then discuss "assumptions" that I made. This is relatively humorous. Hopefully, you can see your own irony here.
  • Reply 108 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Not if his buddy told him. His buddy would be liable not him.

I had the same thought. That guy needs to be taught a lesson whoever he is. Time for the rabid Chihuahua torture technique.
  • Reply 109 of 226
    I've read that Jobs was approached by medical interests about a handheld device in the past. Product liability in a lifesaving business could be a serious headache. But then he has recently been through that system and must have seen the obvious needs up close and personal.

Also in the home, a more easily sterilized keyboard would make sharing a device safer.
  • Reply 110 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that mention it I recall that being stated, too.

Any links?
  • Reply 111 of 226
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

But tell me, why are these medical professionals interested in a consumer hardware device that has an app. store, an MP3 player, a video player, games, an internet browser, etc etc? How is a device that has all of those things considerably more compelling than a device that was designed specifically for the medical profession and does't have all those frivolous extras? How can they be sure that these consumer devices are going to withstand the use they need to endure? There's a reason why Apple have very little presence in this sort of market...

Do I understand that your assumption is that a professional only wants a product designed specifically for them, rather than a less expensive product that not only does what he or she needs but does other things too? I have no way of knowing the answer but the number of iPhones that seem to be being used by many medical professionals indicate many are open to the idea.

I think in the past your are correct in that this was more than often the case. These days technology changes so fast that focussed products such as you suggest run the risk of being out of date, poorly integrated with modern communication systems and far more expensive. Don't forget too Apple are so far ahead in UI that no manufacturer focussed on, for example, the medical profession is anywhere close.
  • Reply 112 of 226
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Actually the 10.1 is measured diagonally,

No shÃ*t, I never would have thought...

Quote:

so the dimensions can certainly made just wide enough to fit into a jacket or coat pocket.

A product sized just for Colombo.

There is an HP netbook with a 16:9 10.1" screen, so I think that would be about as narrow as anything Apple is likely to use: Dimensions: 10.3″(H) x 6.54″(W)

Oh so pocket friendly, that.

Quote:

Only a fool puts their iPhone into their jeans pocket anyway, slacks perhaps, jeans not.

Really? I would say more fool anyone who buys a mobile phone too big or too expensive to put in their pocket - but I am sure that will go down like a lead balloon.

Quote:

And if it does make phone calls and web cam calls people certainly won't have a issue with the bigger size next to their heads. It will become a status symbol.

You reckon?

Does seem to be well colour coordinated with your beard there, I must say. Such sartorial details are so lacking among the young these days. As a fashion statement, it says more dork than chic if you ask me.

Quote:

The iPod touch is impacting iPhone sales in China as people there are using Skype and other means over Wifi to make calls instead of getting a government approved Wifi less iPhone from Apple.

You are making a fundamental error of logic. You are implying those people would buy an IPhone - paying through the nose for it - and then make just as many calls at their carriers likely hefty prices - if they did not have the option of the Touch available. They wouldn't, they would just look for another - cheaper than the iPhone - solution.

Quote:

But netbooks are cannibalising laptop sales at Dell for instance. People are settling for the cheaper "gets on the internet and email" type underpowered netbooks rather than full laptops with cd and dvd readers, more powerful processors etc.

The netbooks margins are thin in comparison to laptops margins. So the company makes less money per unit.

However if sales increase to offset the lost on higher margin items, then that's a good thing. If the market gets saturated, then it's a bad thing.

More fallacious logic. The margins on luxury cars are much higher than on Nissan Micas and the like, but that does not mean if you stop making Micras, everyone will buy a Merceeds S 600.

We are in a fairly serious recession, not everyone has the disposable income they had a couple of years ago. That might have had some bearing on spending patterns.
  • Reply 113 of 226
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

While the search showed mostly dedicated tablets, many doctors use normal tablet PCs. Yes, consumer grade tablets.

The extras you describe simply are unused.

Apple had a reasonable presence in this market although without a tablet it's dropped quite a bit. I've seen several offices switch from macs to tablet pcs.

Oh, did you also miss the iphone medical apps?
  • Reply 114 of 226
    First of all, Jobs doesn't really build things that cannibalize what he has already created.

They either replace, compliment or enhance whatever you have or introduces an entirely new paradigm.

To Add

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, my iPhone is mainly a phone with access to important Internet stuff when I need to. Other than that I don't play games on it and I can't doze off on the couch or bed with it, the screen's too small.

Agree. Except that I do play the odd game, but my kid does on his and my wife on mine.

Quote:

My MacBook Aluminium 13" is for work/life stuff. But it's a little heavy, and folding it open and close and carrying it around everywhere is a little clunky now. MacBook Air is overkill.

Agree. My MacBook Pro is always next to me sitting with the family watching TV. Sometimes to close.

Quote:

As such, enter the Tablet.

Home use ~ I can basically chill out where I need to while reading forums, checking Facebook [not that I am a big social networker or anything], news, YouTube, etc. Some light gaming, a bit of reading (Wired in print, for example, in Asia, is way way overpriced. Direct digital downloads using my iTunes Store US account will be much more affordable)... Just nice for a bit of chillout before my afternoon nap.

Agree. More important, my wife will love having one of these. Her hand-me-down Titanium is starting to lose favour.*

Quote:

Education use ~ positioned correctly, this will totally ignite and revolutionise the way laptops or "computer labs" are used in schools and colleges/universities.

Agree*

Quote:

Corporate use ~ Ah, therein lies the rub. But the Tablet will be, like the iPhone, the gateway drug to growing or at least sustaining Mac sales for business use.

Agree somewhat.

My agency is already considering the possibilities.* Certainly for presentations and equally important, there are some unbelievable custom business/enterprise apps already out there.

*CaveatI would suggest that this device will connect via Wi-Fi.

Certainly Wi-Fi would address most of the connectivity issues at home, at work, in the University and in most client offices. As well, as Wi-Fi becomes more ubiquitous, I still have my iPhone to fill the void.

I am in the process of developing an enterprise app solution. It will use as little of the keyboard as possible for data entry. Simple interfaces, predesigned check boxes/buttons and a lot of type-forwarding. I have been quite confident that the iSlate would be iPhone App compatible and am really encouraged by the recent news. It doesn't require rocket science to realize that upgrading an iPhone app re screen size independent will be no more that a couple of clicks away, particularly having done considerable due diligence working with the iPhone SDKs. If anything, Jobs will update the current SDK to do so, much like he has done with virtually OS transition.

I am predicting that walking into even the most PC centric offices with the new iSlate/enterprise apps will blow their minds.

And equally, my Macs that I have now and the future ones I plan to get will be even more important. I need them for creating/education/data mining, etc. But for the rest of the family not so much. Considering that I am one in three, optimistically, our family would need 3 of them to satisfy us all. Pessimistically, one would do.

So, I would suggest that there are a lot of families that satisfy the same criteria. Now extrapolate that around the world, and WOW.

P.S., Without cannibalizing anything. We will still keep and use everything that we have now. Just a little less.
  • Reply 115 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I am still waiting for Filemaker (Apple) to bring a mobile version of Filemaker for the iPod Touch/iPhone. Bento is too limited and Filemaker (Apple) are missing the boat big time here. It seems to me that Apple are starving Filemaker of investment, all their updates are generally fairly minimal, but pricey. Not worth every upgrade in my opinion.

I am SO with you on this desire! I use Filemaker for my business and at times need to be more mobile with that information. I want an "official" version, but have been using FMTouch as a nice, viable alternative while waiting. If you have not yet heard of it, check it out in the App Store (I'm just a satisfied user, that's all).
  • Reply 116 of 226
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    that's a real deal breaker for me. (just kidding.)
  • Reply 117 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do I understand that your assumption is that a professional only wants a product designed specifically for them, rather than a less expensive product that not only does what he or she needs but does other things too? I have no way of knowing the answer but the number of iPhones that seem to be being used by many medical professionals indicate many are open to the idea.

I think in the past your are correct in that this was more than often the case. These days technology changes so fast that focussed products such as you suggest run the risk of being out of date, poorly integrated with modern communication systems and far more expensive. Don't forget too Apple are so far ahead in UI that no manufacturer focussed on, for example, the medical profession is anywhere close.

I would expect that it wouldn't be up to any individual professional as to what device they use - it would be decided by some much larger entity who would roll out a whole army of devices at once to a wide range of Drs. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK it's up the NHS to decide what equipment Drs use, and to roll that out to about 30,000 Drs means it has to be tested and pass very stringent tests, plus it has to be proven to be value for money, and offer a tangible benefit over the existing IT system that's in place. I just don't think an expensive Apple consumer tablet would meet any of those requirements.
  • Reply 118 of 226
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Do people who use the stupid term 'cannibalize' ever stop to think?

Can you fit a 10.1" device in your pocket or are you going to be seen holding it to your ear while making a phone call?

So much for impacting iPhone sales. Have you ever heard of the iPod Touch?

The whole concept of cannibalism of one's own products is daft. You give the consumers choice - a range of products - and they choose whatever most suits them. So long as they buy one of your products and not a competitors, you have gained a sale - not lost one.

I said possibly, not guranteed.

That depends, if you think back i know i recall hearing that this thing had a SIM tray to it. So lets say AT&T has it, positions the iPhone @199 for 2 year contract and this at 299/399 for a 2 year contract. If this runs a variant of the iphone OS...the only thing a iPhone would be able to do is call and text (and since there are text apps and Skype that is a strike against the iPhone) if this has access to the same exact apps the iPhone does. Also this rumor pegs a webcam, so we know it has to have a speaker and mic then so that doesnt make this strictly a netbook/ebook reader/web surfer anymore.

Now on the flip side. Lets say this thing again is on contract for 2 years at 299/399 or has an initial price of 599/699, but it runs Snow Leopard but with a touch UI implemented and has support for Apples Magic Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard. Again assuming its a full OS X build, and anything that would run on a traditional mac would on this...i would easily sign a 2 year contract for a device like this (people are suckers for that cheap initial price even though they would probably pay more in the long run), or pay 600-700 if it gets major school support and i can do all my school work on it, even if i would have to pay 120 for added keyboard/mouse. That would hurt the 999 macbook.

Also, Apple has cannibalized its own products in the iPod and iPhone already, as people now have less reason to buy an iPod when your iPhone does the exact same thing with more capability, thats a huge selling point that it IS an iPod in a phone. This is becoming such a common thing that before long the PMP market will be shrivel massively as phones with this power become more common, even dumbphones pose as PMP now.
  • Reply 119 of 226
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    10" is fine, if it starts out as a folded in half or in quarters???

Flexible screen??

5" x 5" opens to 10" x 10"?

2.5" x 2.5" unfolds to 10" x 10"?

Flexible screen?

Skip
  • Reply 120 of 226
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The device does seem to run Mac OS X, which Ireland really wanted, but he?s been claiming a 10.1? tablet for such a long time and has had pretty really nice mockups (sans the Mac OS X UI) that I think he deserves some accolades if his longtime vision is even half right.

I agree.