Apple tablet set for Q2 launch with aluminum casing - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Touchscreen panels for Apple's forthcoming tablet have begun shipping, and aluminum casings are expected to arrive next month, sources allegedly told Reuters.

Point of order. Sources did tell Reuters about the aluminum cases -- there was nothing "alleged" about it, unless we think Reuters might be lying about what the sources told them.
  • Reply 42 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I think its a given, I had always assumed it would be aluminum. I just don't see it being any other material given apples recent direction.

I doubt it is possible to build a mobile device with WIFI, GPS and maybe 3G with an aluminum back.

And to be honest I don't really see the large market for a tablet. The only chance I see is when the tablet is really really cheap so that it is more like a netbook/e-reader instead of a large iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 116
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Why would Apple outsource the case components when they have pushed so hard for the benefits of the unibody? Sorry for being a little confused on the matter... but not using the unibody design for anything in larger tablet form seems to be a huge miss.
  • Reply 44 of 116
    nudistnudist Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Yeah but the movies that the aliens are making/watching on their home planet don't end that way do they? :-)

We are the invading aliens. And we are hell bent on the downfall of $MS
  • Reply 45 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sweet, I was hoping for aluminium, such a superior material. Dents a bit easily but so what.

uni body
  • Reply 46 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I'm getting this stuff eerily accurate. I wonder how I know so much?
  • Reply 47 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Actually, despite his inability to police himself, Teckstud made plenty of valid arguments around here that you and the rest of the fanboy troll circus never could or would admit to.

I agree... Why was he banned?
  • Reply 48 of 116
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Did KimKapSol eventually switch to making metals from making plastics?

Anyone remember ol' KKS?
  • Reply 49 of 116
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I don't believe the rumors that have been circulating about the tablet, but I kinda believe this one. Maybe because I've always thought that the tablet would look like the screen of the new 13" macbook pro. I hope it does because I like the feel of the paint on the aluminum. I would also like it to be thin like the screen...most of the ones release at CES seem so thick.
  • Reply 50 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I agree... Why was he banned?

Actually I personally never hated him, and didn't think he should have gotten banned. However when it comes to valid arguments it should be noted he often completely constricted himself in the space of three posts, and he'd say things like "I never said no such thing". When people have just quoted him saying it.

Basically, while I think his intentions were actually noble he ended up for one reason or another sort of taking over the whole thread merely do disagree with people. Every thread he was on there was big arguments, but I think it had more to do with him than any of the fanboys here, and there are a few.

I'll finish off buy saying the only relationship you can have with Apple - if you're a geek - has to be a sort of love-hate one. Apple do some very great stuff, to deny this is to be in denial as far as I see it. On the flip side though, to not criticize them and not be at times pissed at them is just as bad. "Balance" is the key word here, and TS didn't have much.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I don't believe the rumors that have been circulating about the tablet, but I kinda believe this one. Maybe because I've always thought that the tablet would look like the screen of the new 13" macbook pro. I hope it does because I like the feel of the paint on the aluminum. I would also like it to be thin like the screen...most of the ones release at CES seem so thick.

Thin like the screen? It would have no strength and couldn't fit stuff in there for it to function. I think it'll be a cross in shape between the bottom of a MacBook Air and an iPhone 3G. More like the shape of the iPhone really, as it'll need to have round edges and a curved back would give it strength and be quite cool looking, That in aluminum would be amazing. I know it's look amazing, I just hope Apple have the sense to include this pop-out rest (stand is the wrong word for what I want) I desperately believe it needs to be practical.
  • Reply 52 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Well, then you would have everybody griping about the lower end model having so much better WiFi reception then the high-end model.

Oh, good one!
  • Reply 53 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually I personally never hated him, and didn't think he should have gotten banned. However when it comes to valid arguments it should be noted he often completely constricted himself in the space of three posts, and he'd say things like "I never said no such thing". When people have just quoted him saying it.

Basically, while I think his intentions were actually noble he ended up for one reason or another sort of taking over the whole thread merely do disagree with people. Every thread he was on there was big arguments, but I think it had more to do with him than any of the fanboys here, and there are a few.

I'll finish off buy saying the only relationship you can have with Apple - if you're a geek - has to be a sort of love-hate one. Apple do some very great stuff, to deny this is to be in denial as far as I see it. On the flip side though, to not criticize them and not be at times pissed at them is just as bad. "Balance" is the key word here, and TS didn't have much.

The only thing I'll say about the posts is that it was usually not him/her that devolved to personal attacks. Which it most of the time came to, I'm not sure what s/he did, but there was much more personal abuse pointed in their direction than the other way around from what I could see. If they were banned for criticizing Apple or the products I'd like to know if that was the case, I'd delete my account if that was the case.
  • Reply 54 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRC View Post

Did KimKapSol eventually switch to making metals from making plastics?

Anyone remember ol' KKS?

Yeah, but wasn't it Kormac who was making plastics?
  • Reply 55 of 116
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Appleinsider i got this crazy anonymous tip in my email today! It was really short and to the point but i've decided to share it with the world, buckle yourselves in everyone!

"Our firm believes the Apple Tablet will be delivered by unicorns in March in two colors, Heavenly White and Purgatory Black. Believe me, im an analyst and have insider sources.

Anonymous Insider Guy"

True story...couldn't make that up.
  • Reply 56 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Seems like the most likely design would be a front that looks pretty much like the screens of the MacBooks on an aluminum unibody that looks pretty much like the lower portion of the MacBook Air.

As far as trying out different surface treatments, I hope that means anodized aluminum in at least black, in addition to "natural." I really like the look of anodized aluminum, and the Nano shows Apple is at least aware of the possibilities.
  • Reply 57 of 116
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

The only thing I'll say about the posts is that it was usually not him/her that devolved to personal attacks.

While I think we've already talked too much about him, I have to say that I completely disagree with this assessment. I've seen teckstud sent off three posts in as many minutes, each one a five or six word statement, each one a personal attack. I've had it happen to me and I don't know how many times other people complained about him, but I personally reported him for personal attacks three times. Once on myself, and twice when he attacked others if I remember correctly.

Quote:

... If they were banned for criticizing Apple or the products I'd like to know if that was the case, I'd delete my account if that was the case.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement IMO. AppleInsider is one of the fairest sites of it's type, and the moderators give everyone many, many chances to clean up their act. I've been warned once myself when I probably should have been warned more like four or five times. Also, large numbers of people dump all over Prince MacClean on every single article he writes but he never gets mad back, and people aren't banned for doing it because even that never gets as bad as teckstud's posts, especially the earlier ones.

IMO the point about teckstud was more that once he entered the debate it just turned into a mud-slinging match. With a forum you want a debate of ideas. All he did was poke sticks in people's ribs and watch the fireworks.
  • Reply 58 of 116
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Everyone's been focusing on the lack of a useable Microsoft tablet and I agree wholeheartedly with the criticisms of those shown in the keynote but a third company seems to have an honest to gosh winner on its hands.

Has anyone else heard about the enTourage eDGe? Any thoughts? It looks, at first glance, like a really compelling product. It runs Android, has a wonderful form factor and costs less than $500. It's even got two screens, one large digital ink screen for reading written words and a second, smaller, conventional color screen for general purpose computing. They claim 16 hour battery life. If it had cellular internet connectivity, I'd be sold outright.

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html

looks like a really nice device
  • Reply 59 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

looks like a really nice device

Huh. Now all somebody has to do is write an Android app that does tossing clippings from screen to screen with a little context aware data handling and cross app integration, and you've got your Courier.
  • Reply 60 of 116
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I think its a given, I had always assumed it would be aluminum. I just don't see it being any other material given apples recent direction.

I think it has to be milled aluminum. Given the size of the screen, any amount of flex would risk cracking the glass. So rigidity is paramount. You could do it with plastic, but it would have to be thicker, and I don't think Apple would go for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

This observation isn't overly original or thought-provoking, but what if the January 27 event is used to introduce a super new iPhone?

Just a thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple needs more iPhone models to meet the needs of different users. Like it or not I think a clam shell iPhone with a keyboard would sell like hotcakes. Woman would like a smaller iPhone and guys could always use something bigger.

My preference would be for a pair of devices. Sometimes I want the full mobile internet. And sometimes I want the bare minimum, ie, just a small phone. But I also don't want to deal with two service contracts.

So I'd like a small, maybe clamshell, phone that will sync my calendar and contacts (my Verizon Motorola phone has used iSync over bluetooth for years to do just that). And then something like a touch or slate that can tether via bluetooth, using the phone for it's connection to the cell network (with the option to use wi-fi). Yes, that means two devices. But it allows me to have a larger screen on my internet device, and not be forced to carry it everywhere (even an iPhone is larger than I'd want to be forced to take everywhere I go). And the phone can stay in my pocket or bag even when using the slate to surf the web.

Another option for a small phone... Make it a non-clamshell touchscreen about half the size of the current iPhone. I think that would leave enough space for an on screen keyboard when in landscape and one, maybe two lines of text. Just enough for entering contact info, typing a text message, etc. The web would be out of the question, probably email, too. But it would give me a phone that at least syncs contacts, calendars, to-dos, etc.