Apple tablet set for Q2 launch with aluminum casing - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Why would Apple outsource the case components when they have pushed so hard for the benefits of the unibody? Sorry for being a little confused on the matter... but not using the unibody design for anything in larger tablet form seems to be a huge miss.

Perhaps it's a cost thing, initially, until they can gauge demand for the product, and switch to unibody if volumes justify it.

Wait for V2 which will come out in April 2011... Plan B is unibody, I am told.
  • Reply 62 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm getting this stuff eerily accurate. I wonder how I know so much?

The same way in which I was "told." (See above).
  • Reply 63 of 116
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, looking at this:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 395 (39 members and 356 guests)

at the bottom of the page, some of you guests should join in if you've got something you want to add. It's not hard to register and it helps that you can ask questions or give an opinion or input. We love more conversation, so give it a shot.

for me it's a case of less being more. i certainly prefer reading insightful, thought provoking posts, rather than scanning a flood of one-line posts along the lines of "i can't wait for the tablet", "steve jobs is god" "Apple. We are standing firm with you!" etc

During thy psystar saga it was a nuisance seeking interesting posts with new points of view about the developments, without being swamped in "good riddance psystar!" "psystar sucks!" posts.

is twitter not the right place for pointless posts like that?

best

-d
  • Reply 64 of 116
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Aluminum casing.....Yeah.....Right.....
  • Reply 65 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Because...........?
  • Reply 66 of 116
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

for me it's a case of less being more. i certainly prefer reading insightful, thought provoking posts, rather than scanning a flood of one-line posts along the lines of "i can't wait for the tablet", "steve jobs is god" "Apple. We are standing firm with you!" etc

During thy psystar saga it was a nuisance seeking interesting posts with new points of view about the developments, without being swamped in "good riddance psystar!" "psystar sucks!" posts.

is twitter not the right place for pointless posts like that?

best

-d

I agree. I know though, I was a visitor here for about a year and a half before I joined, although there were quite a number of times I had a really pertinent question or comment I wanted to add, but didn't want to bother with registering.

If you have a serious contribution to make, come on in. It's warm in here.

Oh, and we have cookies.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

The only thing I'll say about the posts is that it was usually not him/her that devolved to personal attacks. Which it most of the time came to, I'm not sure what s/he did, but there was much more personal abuse pointed in their direction than the other way around from what I could see. If they were banned for criticizing Apple or the products I'd like to know if that was the case, I'd delete my account if that was the case.

When you throw stones at people don?t be surprised if they start throwing your rocks back at you.

He was always an odious curmudgeon. That doesn?t include his constant throwing threads off topic by constantly contradicting himself easily making him look trollish, despite any actual intention he may have had.

Have you not read how most people have pros and cons with every product they own? Have you not read that even the forum?s admins make comments about the style and quality of the articles at times? His banning had nothign to do with ?criticizing Apple or [their] products?.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Everyone's been focusing on the lack of a useable Microsoft tablet and I agree wholeheartedly with the criticisms of those shown in the keynote but a third company seems to have an honest to gosh winner on its hands.

Has anyone else heard about the enTourage eDGe? Any thoughts? It looks, at first glance, like a really compelling product. It runs Android, has a wonderful form factor and costs less than $500. It's even got two screens, one large digital ink screen for reading written words and a second, smaller, conventional color screen for general purpose computing. They claim 16 hour battery life. If it had cellular internet connectivity, I'd be sold outright.

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html

That has some decent features to it but I don?t think the package works well together. I?d like to see more robust annotations of text. Especially if this type of device is ever expected to replace text books. It?s also quite thick and it seems that only one screen can really be useful at a time. I much prefer the Pixel Qi* tech that allows for a colour display with video or monochrome eInk-like device with the push of a button on the same display. Seems to be the best of both worlds if you want a hybrid tablet and eReader.

PS: Their spelling of Mac as MAC when no other platform is in all caps doesn?t give me hope of the thoroughness of this company.

* Qi is pronounced Chi

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I don?t mind the opinion but I do like to hear the reasoning behind it.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Quote:

Oh, and we have cookies.

Speaking of? why are there 24 cookies needed between AI?s main site and forum?
  • Reply 69 of 116
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of? why are there 24 cookies needed between AI?s main site and forum?

The better to feed you with, my dear.
  • Reply 70 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Why would Apple outsource the case components when they have pushed so hard for the benefits of the unibody? Sorry for being a little confused on the matter... but not using the unibody design for anything in larger tablet form seems to be a huge miss.

Expensive.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps it's a cost thing, initially, until they can gauge demand for the product, and switch to unibody if volumes justify it.

Wait for V2 which will come out in April 2011... Plan B is unibody, I am told.

V1 will be unibody, for strength, thinness and lightness.
  • Reply 72 of 116
    Quote:

We wonder too.

But, heck, you're in your heyday, don't knock it!
  • Reply 73 of 116
    Quote:

The only thing I'll say about the posts is that it was usually not him/her that devolved to personal attacks. Which it most of the time came to, I'm not sure what s/he did, but there was much more personal abuse pointed in their direction than the other way around from what I could see. If they were banned for criticizing Apple or the products I'd like to know if that was the case, I'd delete my account if that was the case.

No one gets banned for criticizing Apple, its executives, or its products.

People do get banned for constant trolling, which is not the same thing. We've had a few of those. Otherwise, it's mostly for constant badgering and attacking people either individually, or in general. I don't know what happened to Techstud as I haven't been around for awhile because of a medical problem, but I used to talk to him all the time. He was a lightning rod for attacks on his person, and sometimes seemed to encourage it with his excessive negativism.
  • Reply 74 of 116
    Quote:

V1 will be unibody, for strength, thinness and lightness.

I think so too. Additionally, I wonder if the unibody MB is a prelude to a plastic unibody coming in the tablet.
  • Reply 75 of 116
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The press and public frenzy Apple have conjured up with the Tablet (Yes I want one too ... whatever it is lol) is brilliant. I have to go back to 2001 and code name 'Ginger' and 'IT' to recall such anticipation.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRC View Post

Did KimKapSol eventually switch to making metals from making plastics?

Anyone remember ol' KKS?

KKS has gone right? Not in members. I wonder why. \
  • Reply 77 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I agree... Why was he banned?

he pissed off 20 or 30 people . after a while anything he said would cause a cascade of attacks and smirky comments . these supposed smart people should have ignored him like they ignore me . But they did no such thing they engaged him ruining every thread for weeks on end

the comments below are all true

yet in the end no matter what anyone said or did

T S still could not shut up with negative apple cracks . hijacking topic after topic

and then 3 people nailed him one day with complaint after complaint and admin just had enough at that point i guess

i like T S alot

i would have a coffee with him anyday of the week

and he did make true great points at times

he gone now

forever deleted from cyber space

Quote:

you are a country

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

While I think we've already talked too much about him, I have to say that I completely disagree with this assessment. I've seen teckstud sent off three posts in as many minutes, each one a five or six word statement, each one a personal attack. I've had it happen to me and I don't know how many times other people complained about him, but I personally reported him for personal attacks three times. Once on myself, and twice when he attacked others if I remember correctly.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement IMO. AppleInsider is one of the fairest sites of it's type, and the moderators give everyone many, many chances to clean up their act. I've been warned once myself when I probably should have been warned more like four or five times. Also, large numbers of people dump all over Prince MacClean on every single article he writes but he never gets mad back, and people aren't banned for doing it because even that never gets as bad as teckstud's posts, especially the earlier ones.

IMO the point about teckstud was more that once he entered the debate it just turned into a mud-slinging match. With a forum you want a debate of ideas. All he did was poke sticks in people's ribs and watch the fireworks.

takes 2 to tangle

only an IDIOT would have the same fight with the same person every day

THIS Is a rumor site devoted to devices made in CA.>>> no one should ever fight here.the world is watching us ,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No one gets banned for criticizing Apple, its executives, or its products.

People do get banned for constant trolling, which is not the same thing. We've had a few of those. Otherwise, it's mostly for constant badgering and attacking people either individually, or in general. I don't know what happened to Techstud as I haven't been around for awhile because of a medical problem, but I used to talk to him all the time. He was a lightning rod for attacks on his person, and sometimes seemed to encourage it with his excessive negativism.

excessive negativism >> bingo nailed it on the head

hey dude i hope ypur feeling better

i got some new rocks in to show .

peace

• Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think so too. Additionally, I wonder if the unibody MB is a prelude to a plastic unibody coming in the tablet.

iSlate = choice of white or black plastic unibody w/ 7" screen, base model w/802.11n WiFi only...this model would be akin to the iPod touch and made for those that don't want the monthly bill of a telecom.

iSlate Pro = aluminum unibody w/ larger 10" screen, more memory w/802.11n WiFi and 3G connectivity...this model would be akin to the iPhone and would/could be subsidized by telecoms with a service contract.

Just a wild guess on my part...
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:

You know, looking at this: