ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Clues on Apple's forthcoming tablet continue to surface as the device is expected to debut this month, with a new report referring to the device as an "iPhone on steroids."

Citing a close contact within Apple, Boy Genius Report on Wednesday issued a report with alleged new details and specifics on Apple's 10-inch touchscreen device. The source said the device has an internal model number of K48AP and sports an "incredibly fast" ARM-based processor.

What kind of ARM chip remains unknown, though many have speculated that the reference Cortex-A9 design would be a likely candidate for any new hardware. However, one analyst recently claimed that the device would sport a Cortex-A8-based chip with a speed of about 1GHz.

In Wednesday's report, the source also said that the tablet has multi-touch gestures that are "out of control," and the device runs the on the iPhone kernel. There hasn't been an update to the iPhone OS in some time, the tipster claimed, because the new build has too many tablet-related references that "Apple obviously didn't want to leak."

While Boy Genius Report has a respectable track record in forecasting iPhone-related announcements tied to its AT&T sources, its predictions pertaining to Apple have often fallen off the mark. Last year the site incorrectly indicated iTunes 9 would add Blu-ray support and said Apple would create a social media consolidation application, both times citing a "reliable" source.

Wednesday's new details are bolstered by a report from earlier this month that claimed a new iPhone 4.0 beta SDK includes a "simulator" that aims to make it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions. Some developers have allegedly been asked to prepare full-screen demos of their iPhone software for a demo later this month.

Reports have indicated that Apple is planning an event on Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco to unveil its tablet device. Last July, AppleInsider first reported that the device would see an early 2010 debut, and the hardware would be akin to a large iPhone or iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 155
    Yes, yes!!

Great time to be an iPhone Developer with 1 year of experience.
  • Reply 2 of 155
    So the name of Apple's 'iPhone on Steroids' Tablet, coming in two versions, is going to be...

"The Mark McGwire 'Out of the Park' and 'Out of the Park - Pro' Pad!"

• Reply 3 of 155
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i'm more excited for v4.0 of the software than i am for a 10" iPhone on steroids.
  • Reply 4 of 155

Each next troll at AI calls it "iPhone on Steroids"
  • Reply 5 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Wednesday's report, the source also said that the tablet has multi-touch gestures that are "out of control," and the device runs the on the iPhone kernel.

Out of control? That doesn't sound good.
  • Reply 6 of 155
    Quote:

multi-touch gestures that are "out of control,"

In a good sense, i e they are just magnificent or in a bad way, i e does not work?

Strange way of putting it. If there is something I don't think Apple does ever in any lifetime is to release a non working product!
  • Reply 7 of 155
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

The tablet’s multi-touch gestures are “out of control.”

That's actually not a desirable feature :-p.

Two weeks to go until we find out. So about ten days until solid leaks start occurring.
  • Reply 8 of 155
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    steroids? we all need more apple crack! Jan 27th can't come soon enough!
  • Reply 9 of 155
    As in "off the hook, yo!"

or

as in "one false swipe and two trains derail halfway across the world"?
  • Reply 10 of 155
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I say that Steve or whoever, does the announcement, and at sometime, loads, launches, Ms. Packman, Asteroids or some other game from the 70's and plays it!

A 10" screen wouldn't be much smaller then the screens on the bar games from back then.

A game tablet might be a VERY BIG part of the success of this thing. If marketed that way, just think of the audience it will have. The GAMERS will finally get what they want, or at least have to shut the fick up about Apple not being game user friendly!

So how many iPhones have been sold?

How many games have downloaded to iPhones / iPod Touches?

That's how many iSlate or iGame Boards will be sold in a very short period of time.

Yes, you heard it first here

Skip
  • Reply 11 of 155
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Out of control? That doesn't sound good.

Oui.

• Reply 12 of 155
    Interesting rumor...

Apple seems to bet on the iPhone / App Store momentum.

More thoughts on my blog.
  • Reply 13 of 155
    Too bad the regular iPhone can't use steroids to make reliable phone calls and get good data speeds in some markets.
  • Reply 14 of 155
    I was suspicious of the lack of Iphone OS updates, it was odd. Now it is coming all together.
  • Reply 15 of 155
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Dual A9's and iPhone OS 4. Absolutely. Haven't we done this already?
  • Reply 16 of 155
    Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.
  • Reply 17 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Otherwise known to Apple as a 10" touchscreen Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 155
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm more excited for v4.0 of the software than i am for a 10" iPhone on steroids.

Same here
  • Reply 19 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Dual A9's and iPhone OS 4. Absolutely. Haven't we done this already?

It better be a dual A9, then again I am hesitant to by rev A product from Apple due to being burnt numerous times in the past
  • Reply 20 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

i'm expecting a more robust OS than the iPhone, yet not resembling Leopard from a GUI perspective. A true hybrid of the two is in order. Microsoft has shown us time and again that simply taking a stylus / pointer to your existing desktop OS doesn't work.