iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I don't think they need to do it this time as the tablet is probably close enough to the iPhone or MacBook not to need to release the hardware to developers but it's not without precedence:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...it_photos.html

Best you do some due diligence.

Apple has a number of ADC Membership levels.

For Example, the

Quote:

ADC Premier Membership

[You] Get the ultimate in development resources from Apple engineers and experts including your ticket to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. ADC Premier Membership provides you with access to pre-release software, development tools, support from Apple engineers, and hardware discounts?everything you need to innovate with Apple technologies. Your ADC Premier Membership includes a ticket to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

Fee: US $3499.00

This does not entitle you to new hardware in development. Certainly, some major software and hardware developers have been privileged to some of Apples pre-releases, but trust me it is not done casually and not without virtually signing your life away, if at all.

Certainly, just signing up for an Apple SDK kit does not unilaterally get you a pre-release software at any discount.
  • Reply 42 of 153
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My best guess is once that cat is out of the bag regarding the Tablet they will update the iPhone right away, the Tablet I tend to believe will be shipping a while later.

Yeah, I seem to remember the last OS coming out before the big announcement too. The thing that strikes me the most about this rumour is the 4.0 number itself. It suggests that it's a major revision, probably adding things like a documents folder and new UI elements to support the tablet.

I know a lot of people are expecting that the tablet will have it's own OS that is different from the iPhone one, but I don't see why it would or that this would be a good thing. Apple is not going to fracture OS-X into a dozen pieces for no good reason. The iPhone OS with a few changes would work well for the tablet and I expect it to be running OS 4.0 along with the iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

people are buying other phones because they want to listen to Pandora and do something else at the same time. there are nice features coming out for android that apple needs to acknowledge or risk losing sales

You may find this hard to believe, but the vast majority of smartphone users have never even heard of Pandora.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm saying I believe Apple takes notice of those who are buying a new device from them if they are a developer or not and makes sure they get a device before someone in the general public does.

They obviously don't want a rush of consumers signing up for the SDK with no intention of using it.

Just saying the possibilities are very good if you do though.

This has been my experience:

When you register as a Mac Developer (and pay the annual fee) you get credits to purchase a limited number of systems based on the fee (there are several levels at different prices). There is a special store for developers with prices that amount to a 0-20% discount based on the product.

New products are usually not available in the Developer Store until the product begins shipping to consumers.

The one exception to this was the Apple Developer Transition System-- a Mac Pro with a Intel motherboard, for the transition to Intel. This system had to be returned to Apple when Intel Macs began shipment (it was replaced with a production Intel iMac 17).

iPhone Developers have no special store or discounts, AFAIK.

I know of no actual cases, but I suspect that Apple seeds a few key, high-profile developers with new products... but this would, likely, be less than 100 devices total!

• Reply 45 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You are suggesting that Apple remains competitive by responding / reacting to what other companies do. You, of course, have it quite backwards; and I think that point is a little closer to what the original poster was trying to express with their comment.

Quote:

people are buying other phones because they want to listen to Pandora and do something else at the same time. there are nice features coming out for android that apple needs to acknowledge or risk losing sales

I agree with al. Apple doesn't have to react to competitors so much as respond to its customers, both existing and potential. The landscape has changed in the last few months. Nothing used to be able to come close to the iPhone OS experience, but Android has changed that. And phones makers are much better units, even if they are all basically knock-offs of the iPhone design. The gap in this market is closing.

Apple has done a great job in the last decade of balancing consumer demand without compromising innovation. I don't agree with charlituna that they've been successful just by doing things whenever they feel like it.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You may find this hard to believe, but the vast majority of smartphone users have never even heard of Pandora.

I think you are missing his point here...
  • Reply 47 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and when they are wrong they are going to buy you a tablet right

Nah, but they have offered to refund my subscription fee to AI.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

"actually..."

You're just taking the easy, literal way out to knock down someone else's opinion. I'm with melgross, who argued that with the rapidly changing smart phone environment, apple needs to bring new features via software updates more often than once a year, if it's not gonna intro new hardware more than once a year.

It's gotta stay competitive, and imho updating hardware and software only once a year isn't enough. Apple needs to do it, thus--if you want to make this insight conform to your p.o.v.--apple will want to do it. And will.

If the iPhone's gonna remain successful, with all the new products being intro'd with new hardware (better screens, faster processors, for ex) and new software (multitasking, for ex) Apple can't afford to wait 12 months for each significant refresh.

The people who run Apple learned this lesson over 20 years ago. The first Mac (1984) was launched with the 68000 processor and it changed the PC marketplace. It took years for competitors to respond effectively but unfortunately for Apple it took them years to evolve the product to take advantage of the 68020 chip while PC's had already moved to the 80386 from the 8088. It is too complicated to ignore the many other factors but "taking their foot off the accelerator" was a crucial mistake.

Many predicted the same fate would befall the originally successful iPod. Rob Glaser, the CEO of Real Networks predicted Apple's share of the portable digital audio market would decline to 5% in a few years. But this time Apple was a fast moving target. The iPod evolved quickly and the competitors never got close so Apple owns something like 70% of that market.

The same lesson applies to the iPhone market. Apple has to improve and evolve rapidly to succeed like it did with the iPod. Slow deliberative steps would lead to the Mac problems of the 90's. In the present case though I don't think the competitors are even focusing on the right device. Only smartphones are being built while the iPod touch is battering the ineffectual competition from Sony and Nintendo gaming devices. It is almost daunting how nimble Apple is at this point compared to its competition.
  • Reply 49 of 153
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    CNet has updated their article to say: "The developer later acknowledged that it meant to refer to a 4.0 version of the app itself, not OS 4.0."
  • Reply 50 of 153
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And hopefully, everyone will read the README's and the manual, checkout the Help menu, view the web site and watch the videos before they install/update

None of that is necessary with Apple products. They are intuitive. They just work.
  • Reply 51 of 153
    Macrumors verified it as a mistake in the original reporting.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    Quote:

And hopefully, everyone will read the README's and the manual, checkout the Help menu, view the web site and watch the videos before they install/update or make stupid comments/judgements due to their stupidity or ignorance.

And better yet, have an iPhone in the first place. Otherwise, keep their mouths shut.

Sometimes even the manuals, help, videos and readme files don't help.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

None of that is necessary with Apple products. They are intuitive. They just work.

Umm, what about the initial release of MobileMe? Or the initial release of iPhone OS 2.0? How about the iMacs that displayed graphics distortion? What about the iPhones that randomly fell into coma mode with version 3.x? No one is bulletproof and every company makes mistakes.
  • Reply 54 of 153
    Quote:

As Apple recommends, if it your iPhone is not operating as expected, reset it.

I do so once a month now and as a result, I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. Certainly seems to speed up the apps, and everything wireless related.

Yep. Format the drive and reinstall windows...errr.....

Indeed, I have never in my life owned a device which has needed more OS reinstalls than my iPhone. I had my last laptop for about five years, and only had to reinstall the XP once.

In 7 months, I've had to format the drive on the iPhone 3 times.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    Quote:

As Apple recommends, if it your iPhone is not operating as expected, reset it.

I do so once a month now and as a result, I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. Certainly seems to speed up the apps, and everything wireless related.

I would hope that the world's best phone wouldn't have to be reset that often. I understand it's a personal decision you made, but ok.
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dude abides View Post

I agree with al. Apple doesn't have to react to competitors so much as respond to its customers

Apple does not listen to its customers. They tell their customers.

That's what makes them so great!
  • Reply 57 of 153
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I don't care when it's released - I love my 3GS as is, I just want to see it on the big screen come Jan 27
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yep. Format the drive and reinstall windows...errr.....

Indeed, I have never in my life owned a device which has needed more OS reinstalls than my iPhone. I had my last laptop for about five years, and only had to reinstall the XP once.

In 7 months, I've had to format the drive on the iPhone 3 times.

Really? Good for you. You're the exception, not the rule. Windows XP systems are less reliable than Win2k systems.

If you're a developer you're constantly f'n with stuff in Windows.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This has been my experience:

When you register as a Mac Developer (and pay the annual fee) you get credits to purchase a limited number of systems based on the fee (there are several levels at different prices). There is a special store for developers with prices that amount to a 0-20% discount based on the product.

New products are usually not available in the Developer Store until the product begins shipping to consumers.

The one exception to this was the Apple Developer Transition System-- a Mac Pro with a Intel motherboard, for the transition to Intel. This system had to be returned to Apple when Intel Macs began shipment (it was replaced with a production Intel iMac 17).

iPhone Developers have no special store or discounts, AFAIK.

I know of no actual cases, but I suspect that Apple seeds a few key, high-profile developers with new products... but this would, likely, be less than 100 devices total!

You only get discounts on ADC Select and ADC Premium accounts. You don't get a discount for iPhone Enterprise @ $250, let alone standard at $99.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfmartin67 View Post

... that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 to dev on Jan 27th with a few weeks to test for application compatibility and general availability with the release of the Tablet... or maybe those cold be released on two different schedules...

What "application compatibillity"?

It's an update, not a new OS.

It keeps the same binary interface (or 99.999 the same).

And of course it has been tested extensively in-house.