iPhone OS 4.0 could see 'imminent' release, developer hints

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As the saying goes, "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone."

?Bitch and world slaps you silly."
  • Reply 82 of 153

Sometimes I?m amazed that computers work at all.
  • Reply 83 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sometimes I?m amazed that computers work at all.

Or the folks sitting in front of them.
  • Reply 84 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Or the folks sitting in front of them.

Touché.
  • Reply 85 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nexus introduced 20,000 sold first week, iPhone released on Vodafone UK 1/14/2010 50,000 sold the FIRST DAY!

So what does Apple need to do again?
  • Reply 86 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nexus introduced 20,000 sold first week, iPhone released on Vodafone UK 1/14/2010 50,000 sold the FIRST DAY!

Apparently nothing. It?s funny. Apple sells 2.5x as many iPhones in a county saturated with iPhones but I?ve read that the Nexus was a success. I suppose it?s all relative.

Regardless, the Android mindshare seems to be high enough that I think we?ll see a demo of iPhone OS v4.0 come the 27th with many of the features that Android and WebOS already have.

Things I?d like to see...
    • Gaming API to make gaming even more of a focus

• Homepage that allows for Widgets, like weather

• New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store

• Multitasking for the 3GS onward (I have an idea how this should work to not be problem like it is for devs and users on WebOS and Android)

• Robust app for keeping detailed history of All notifications. Making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere

• Safari update with ability to search pages

• Folder for apps so I don't have to use so many pages (less likely)

• Smart Folders for apps that can categorize many apps in multiple places, like Recently Added apps

• I'd like a way to see how many times I've accessed an app, last time I used it, like in iTunes audio. Also, like in Windows' Program Manager.

• Aggregated Mail accounts the way multiple contact sources are aggregated on the iPhone

• No animated backgrounds (such a stupid idea for a phone)

• Fix the way Find My iPhone is turned on and off on the iPhone (not likely)

• Universal voice-to-text (I think they?ll eventually add it but it will take to long to get right this year)

• Ability to remove some of Apple?s default apps from the Home Screens

• Reply 87 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple announces on Jan 27:

4) the Tablet is carrier neutral

no chance apple arent stupid.
  • Reply 88 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple announces on Jan 27:

1) the Tablet for delivery late March

2) an enhanced iPhone/Tablet SDK 4.0 to include new Tablet features and screen sizes

3) the 4.0 SDK is available today!

4) the Tablet is carrier neutral

Depending on how much advantage Apple wants to take of a PSF (Press Speculation Frenzy) they could announce the next version of iPhone, iPod Touch, both or neither.

I expect them to say nada about the coming iPhone or iPod Touch and focus on the Tablet... and let the speculation run wild.

5) then, some time in the April-May timeframe Apple announces iPhone 4G, iPod Touch 4G, and a smaller (or larger) Tablet (depending on what ships in March).

Quote:

Apparently nothing. It?s funny. Apple sells 2.5x as many iPhones in a county saturated with iPhones but I?ve read that the Nexus was a success. I suppose it?s all relative.

Regardless, the Android mindshare seems to be high enough that I think we?ll see a demo of iPhone OS v4.0 come the 27th with many of the features that Android and WebOS already have.

Things I?d like to see...

• New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store

• Multitasking for the 3GS onward (I have an idea how this should work to not be problem like it is for devs and users on WebOS and Android)

• Robust app for keeping detailed history of All notifications. Making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere

• Smart Folders for apps that can categorize many apps in multiple places, like Recently Added apps

• I'd like a way to see how many times I've accessed an app, last time I used it, like in iTunes audio. Also, like in Windows' Program Manager.

• Aggregated Mail accounts the way multiple contact sources are aggregated on the iPhone

• Universal voice-to-text (I think they?ll eventually add it but it will take to long to get right this year)

• Ability to remove some of Apple?s default apps from the Home Screens

Apple sold 1.5 million 3GS in its first week. Nexus sold 20,000. Yeh man great success. You want the iphone like windows are you mad???
  • Reply 89 of 153
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

You do understand that whatever the circumstances, this is absolutely unnecessary ―except if you jailbreak and brick your iphone often.

Or do you, everytime an app crashes on you, re-install the OS?

Whatever man. I never re-installed the OS on my iPhone (3G, bought 1 1/2 year ago) and have no problems whatsoever.

Yours sounds like voodoo problem-solving to me.

I reset only when iTunes refuses to sync, and tells me I need to reset.
  • Reply 90 of 153
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

How the hell do you format an iPhone? I know how to do a restore and how to install an update, but format?

Restore is tantamount to formatting the drive. It may not be a precisely correct use of the word.
  • Reply 91 of 153
    As posted on other sites, the 4.0 is the version of the update of the app, not the version of the iPhone OS. Sorry to say.
  • Reply 92 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireMarine38 View Post

As posted on other sites, the 4.0 is the version of the update of the app, not the version of the iPhone OS. Sorry to say.

Whatever you posted it's certain 4.0 is coming after 3.
  • Reply 93 of 153
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

While I agree that iPhones are better, for me at least, those figures only support the fact that good marketing is effective. It doesn't always mean the product is better. Although in this case it does. So I wouldn't go around simply quoting sales figures to prove a point.

Hitler was a marvellous salesman.
  • Reply 94 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Apple sold 1.5 million 3GS in its first week. Nexus sold 20,000. Yeh man great success. You want the iphone like windows are you mad???

Did you respond to the write posts? I have no idea what Dick Applebaum and my posts had to do with your comment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Hitler was a marvellous salesman.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
    Shame on you, this wasn’t even a heated debate.
  • Reply 95 of 153
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
    Shame on you, this wasn?t even a heated debate.

I didn't something had to be heated
  • Reply 96 of 153
    Quote:

I didn't something had to be heated

Like a blitzkrieg into Pol?. (Dammit! See what you did?)
  • Reply 97 of 153
    Quote:

While I agree that iPhones are better, for me at least, those figures only support the fact that good marketing is effective. It doesn't always mean the product is better. Although in this case it does. So I wouldn't go around simply quoting sales figures to prove a point.

H***** was a marvellous salesman.

Extremely inappropriate. To equate Google or Apple to such is demeaning.

You could get sanctioned for it. I suggest you pull the innuendo.
  • Reply 98 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

no chance apple arent stupid.

Why do you equate the Tablet being carrier neutral with Apple being stupid?

Apple's contract with AT&T is for the iPhone and it is rumored to end this year.

Apple can build a Tablet (and later iPhones) that can work on any (approved) carrier and be sold by that carrier.

Likely, this would mean that Apple would continue receive subsidies from the carriers that sell their devices. And, Apple could sell an unsubsidized device that runs on any carrier.

To my mind, that equates to more acceptance for the Apple devices and more profit to Apple.

• Reply 99 of 153
    Quote:

Apparently nothing. It’s funny. Apple sells 2.5x as many iPhones in a county saturated with iPhones but I’ve read that the Nexus was a success. I suppose it’s all relative.

Regardless, the Android mindshare seems to be high enough that I think we’ll see a demo of iPhone OS v4.0 come the 27th with many of the features that Android and WebOS already have.

Things I’d like to see...

• Universal voice-to-text (I think they’ll eventually add it but it will take to long to get right this year)

• Ability to remove some of Apple’s default apps from the Home Screens

Interesting post!

• Gaming API-- I have been fiddling with the SiO2 Game Engine, and it offers some promise!. It takes scenes (games, if you will) created with Blender 3D, exports them a scene file that is combined with an XCode template of pre-coded game functions. The result is compiled and runs on the iPhone or the Touch. I can see the value of incorporating something like this into XCode. Both Blender 3D and SiO2 are free, open source!

• Multitasking-- I agree, care to expand on your idea?

I agree with the others!

I would add:

• Improved navigation-- I have in mind, kind of an hierarchical coverflow, where the top level is app type (games, utilities, music, etc... alphabetic listing, active apps). Then, when you select a cover, you drill-down to the next level, etc.

• Reply 100 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What is it with weather widgets (gadgets for those in Windows land)?

What happened to looking out the window?

The weather widgets I've seen are always so out of date they are next to useless, for current and accurate weather information there are far better sites e.g. in Australia it's the Bureau of Meteorology

Regarding forecasts "tomorrow will be the same as today" has a surprisingly high accuracy rate.

Quote:

[*]Homepage that allows for Widgets, like weather