Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report

Comments

• Reply 161 of 224
    robzrrobzr Posts: 20member
    Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of leaks around the tablet, moreso than with previous product intros? Is this really going to be that big of a product? Just more partners / suppliers than in the past?

The only thing that hasn't leaked is the specifics...

Rob
  • Reply 162 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Monday, January 25, 2010:
    • Earnings announcement (best quarter ever)

Tuesday, January 26, 2010:
    • New Core 2010 MacBooks

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
    • Tablet

• iWork X

• iLife X

• iPhone OS 4

• Expect iWork and iLife to have iPhone OS 4 versions. Also expect a PhotoShop/Illustrator-lite like app.

Thursday, January 28, 2010
    • Apple's stock drops.

• Post rumor speculation depression kicks in.

• Complaints about Tablet lacking a replaceable battery and pricing overwhelm the blogoshpere.

• Clickwhores post "Top 10 Reasons the Tablet Will Fail", which are actually repostings of articles they already posted before the announcement, but will fix (some) of their numerous errors that were made before they even knew what the product was.

Friday, January 29, 2010
    • Although the Tablet won't ship until March, GeoHot announces that he's already jailbroken one "quite some time ago".

Dead on Nostradamus! Somehow though... not funny. I'm an APPL shareholder...
  • Reply 163 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think they?ll focus on Mac software release with this event? I don?t think so. I think the rewrite of the Mac version of iLife X to Cocoa and 64-bit may still take some time. I don?t think we?ll get the Cocoa version of iTunes X will come next September with the next iPod/iTunes Special Event.

I think the Tablet OS will have iLife and iWork capabilities but it will have been written specifically for the device and will be very different from the Mac equivalents, despite some obvious similarities.

I hope they'll actually have a few things to say - I expect Apple has just as much to say this year as last year or the year before in MacWorld keynotes - and that was always several announcements. (Just checked 2007 - they announced new iPods nano/shuffle, the AppleTV, and iPhone... so no new macs there, no new iLife as they went 18monthly).

Anyway, as you say - iLife and iWork (assuming tablet versions) will have been written specifically for the device. I assume that the underlying code will be shared though, including OpenCL usage etc. Also, looking at iPhoto or iMovie (and iTunes) there are broad swaths of the application that will be able to be very similar, but specifics of the interface will hopefully be true to the platform they're on.

As such, I think it's probable and useful for an iPhoto 10 (slate) and iPhoto 10 (Mac) to be released side by side. Or both demonstrated with a release in May (or whatever) for both.

But if it takes too long to code... well how long do you think they need? Would this in general reflect badly on Xcode or Apple? Why aren't the same coding solutions in the tablet iLife code usable (to a certain degree) in Mac code?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robzr View Post

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of leaks around the tablet, moreso than with previous product intros? Is this really going to be that big of a product? Just more partners / suppliers than in the past?

If they're trying to lock down partners, especially if content subscriptions are going to offer a subsidy on the tablet - then yeah more people probably know. But the specifics really haven't leaked out, or have been too difficult to describe verbally.
  • Reply 164 of 224
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I hope they'll actually have a few things to say - I expect Apple has just as much to say this year as last year or the year before in MacWorld keynotes - and that was always several announcements. (Just checked 2007 - they announced new iPods nano/shuffle, the AppleTV, and iPhone... so no new macs there, no new iLife as they went 18monthly).

• I think the change from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit is a huge undertaking, which may not be ready for this event.

• I think this event will be focused on iPhone OS, a tablet and (hopefully) a redesigned from the ground up AppleTV, along with their SDKs.

• I think that iLife and iWork app suites are best suited for new ‘Pro’ Mac updates, perhaps with new ACDs, not around iPhone OS and a tablet.

• I expect another event in late-February-to-March with new Macs, though if this one is about Macs then switch that for an announcement in March for a Tablet, iPhone OS and (hopefully) a new AppleTV.

Hopefully they decide to run for 3 hours to introduce everything people want (within reason) but I think a lot of this hangs on what Apple has at the ready, not what they wish they could introduce.

Quote:

As such, I think it's probable and useful for an iPhoto 10 (slate) and iPhoto 10 (Mac) to be released side by side. Or both demonstrated with a release in May (or whatever) for both.

iPhoto is currently at v8.1.1 despite the iPhoto ’09 label. I think they’ll follow the pattern with QuickTime 7 with version 7.6.3 jumping to QuickTime X with version 10.0. Not because it’s 2010, though that could be a marketing reason, I think it’s a way to denote when they are moving from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit. I doubt they’ll do the update until that major undertaking is complete.
  • Reply 165 of 224
    Quote:
    • I think the change from Carbon to Cocoa/64-bit is a huge undertaking, which may not be ready for this event.

• I think this event will be focused on iPhone OS, a tablet and (hopefully) a redesigned from the ground up AppleTV, along with their SDKs.

• I think that iLife and iWork app suites are best suited for new ?Pro? Mac updates, perhaps with new ACDs, not around iPhone OS and a tablet.

• I expect another event in late-February-to-March with new Macs, though if this one is about Macs then switch that for an announcement in March for a Tablet, iPhone OS and (hopefully) a new AppleTV.

Further to this -
    • I'll hope for cocoa/64-bit iLife (but really what I want is multithreading and OpenCL in iLife... which won't come till the cocoa/64-bit rewrite). I get it's huge and I really don't know how long that should take. It's been rumoured for so long.

• I'm hoping the "lite OSX" ("iPhone OS 4.0" or whatever it's called) and ARM chips are also used as the basis for a redesigned AppleTV.

• I won't expect iLife for Mac unless iLife for Slate is released. Same for iWork.

• I agree there doesn't need to be new Macs in this event. It changes the feel. There were new iMacs just a few months ago anyway (and iPods in September).

• Reply 166 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm hoping the "lite OSX" ("iPhone OS 4.0" or whatever it's called) and ARM chips are also used as the basis for a redesigned AppleTV.

Hmm? I have been half-expecting that the tablet will likely be sufficient with to push High Profile 1080p. Maybe a higher clocking of the GPU or CPU, or maybe a faster chip that uses the same socket, but close enough that they don?t have to reinvent the wheel for the next AppleTV. That seems like something Apple would try to do.

But your quoted comment made me think that the current AppleTV OS, which is very similar?though distinct?from Mac OS X, is too bulky for their needs and that maybe using something closer to iPhone OS as a starting point would allow for a thinner and faster OS.

At the very least, getting away from Tiger is a plus. I wonder if the last AppleTV update which seemed to come out of the blue yet is still based on Tiger is because that old AppleTV HW will not be getting the new AppleTV OS. I think it?s smart because it won?t have OpenCL or be able to take advantage of many new features and the effort to optimize will likely be for naught when you when consider how many will likely buy the new one, assuming it does solve the previous problems.

Two things are certain?. Apple can?t let go of the living room and the next AppleTV will be a major improvement, even if it fails in comparison to other offerings on the market.
  • Reply 167 of 224
    Quote:

Hmm… I have been half-expecting that the tablet will likely be sufficient with to push High Profile 1080p. Maybe a higher clocking of the GPU or CPU, or maybe a faster chip that uses the same socket, but close enough that they don’t have to reinvent the wheel for the next AppleTV.

I've just expected that the dual core ARMs (or whatever Apple comes up with for the slate) will be 1080p capable - even if toned back for the tablets to conserve battery. Given Apple's history, whatever chip their designing has to be graphics savvy, and OpenCL... doesn't it?

You might remember me saying it before - I'd like to see Apple pull out the "TV & Movies" from iTunes and call it "AppleTV" - on Macs, Windows, iPhones, & slates. It'd clean up and focus the iTunes interface (and it'd make AppleTV obvious everywhere). On the iPhone, Apple already separates the iTunes store (app) from the iPod playing device (app).
  • Reply 168 of 224
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    When you're talking about 1080p capability on the tablet, are you talking about a 10" 1080p tablet screen, or 1080p video out to an external screen? After a quick google at netbook resolutions, 1366x768 is the top standard resolution for a 10", so thats ok for 720p on the tablet. 1920x1080 or 1200 on a 10" screen sounds like crazy talk.
  • Reply 169 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

When you're talking about 1080p capability on the tablet, are you talking about a 10" 1080p tablet screen, or 1080p video out to an external screen? After a quick google at netbook resolutions, 1366x768 is the top standard resolution for a 10", so thats ok for 720p on the tablet. 1920x1080 or 1200 on a 10" screen sounds like crazy talk.

Me? I was talking about the default HW capability before power savings are taken into account. If the tablet HW can push 1080p I doubt neither the display and the video out will allow more than 768 lines, thought I think 720 is likely.

For example, the iPhone and Touch?s HW can push higher resolutions than the OS allows, even up to 1080p yet you can?t even do 720p. I don?t know much of a drain that would be but I?m sure it?s substantial. The AppleTV could have the same CPU and GPU and yet not be limited since it?s plugged in.
  • Reply 170 of 224
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So because I watch Fox News, I no longer have a brain and I am all of those stupid stereotypes you rattled off?

I happen to be a very devout Christian.

Case Closed.
  • Reply 171 of 224
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    iLife 2010

and APERTURE 3!!! I want Aperture 3
  • Reply 172 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Case Closed.

Please, no snide and dismissive remarks about religion on these forums.
  • Reply 173 of 224
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Me?

Oh anybody who's listening . I did think that 1080p on a panel that small would be a bit much, 720p is more likely. I was just wondering if there actually was anything 1080p of a similar size, that's usable as a portable.
  • Reply 174 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The panel doesn't need to be 1080p. Too small to matter! But Apple has been criticised for their AppleTV only doing 720p, so it'd be useful if it could do 1080p (even if movie rentals are still 720p for now).

And (IF it can be done) it'd be nice if slate and future iPhone could output 1080p to TVs... when plugged in to power only. I suspect that unless they do something amazing with the GPUs, that would run them too hot though.
  • Reply 175 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

The link between iPhone OS 4 and the tablet is easy: tablet will run iPhone OS 4 ! Makes sense with the fact that iPhone developers where asked to work on full screen versions of their app. Furthermore this will give a heads up for a new iPhone with a higher resolution.

As for iLife, there will probably be an iPhone version of it.
  • Reply 176 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

The link between iPhone OS 4 and the tablet is easy: tablet will run iPhone OS 4 ! Makes sense with the fact that iPhone developers where asked to work on full screen versions of their app. Furthermore this will give a heads up for a new iPhone with a higher resolution.

I don?t see how it makes sense. Are you 16 giant icons or 90 normal sized icons on each Home Screen?
    Mac OS X can run iPhone apps in a simulator for developers and QuickTime X that came with Snow Leopard was first running on iPhone OS. Apple?s leveraging their versatile OS to make it more powerful and cheaper to develop for their various products but they aren?t simply going to scale iPhone OS to run on a 10? tablet. It?s simply not going to happen. There WILL be a new UI for the tablet. There WILL be aspect that are very different from both Mac OS and iPhone OS.
  • Reply 177 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

I will be disappointed if they don't announce a rev to the MacBook Pros. I'm in the market, but I don't want to pull the trigger with release cycle tradition suggesting they'll be updated.

I somehow doubt the tablet will perform the same functions as a MBP, so I don't think it'll serve to replace it.

Tablet = March-ish

iPhone OS 4 = June-ish

They need to give us *something* this month. I say rev the specs on the MBs.

Ditto...

Expect the "doubt the tablet will perform the same functions as a MBP": that's exactly what it will do. But pros need FireWire, keyboard, and more power than what the tablet will provide.

And if the tablet slightly cannibalizes Mac sales? It's OK, Apple would be losing a little bit of people in on market and gaining a huge amount of people in a fresh one... One that it can freely compete without M$'s giant a$$ on their heads.
  • Reply 178 of 224
    Quote:

I don?t see how it makes sense. Are you 16 giant icons or 90 normal sized icons on each Home Screen?

I never said it would run iPhone OS the way it is right now. I agree that it would be stupid just to scale up the iPhone. But the same goes for the iPhone right now, with all the apps and stuff they need to change it, hence iPhone OS 4

Quote:

Mac OS X can run iPhone apps in a simulator for developers and QuickTime X that came with Snow Leopard was first running on iPhone OS. Apple?s leveraging their versatile OS to make it more powerful and cheaper to develop for their various products but they aren?t simply going to scale iPhone OS to run on a 10? tablet. It?s simply not going to happen. There WILL be a new UI for the tablet. There WILL be aspect that are very different from both Mac OS and iPhone OS.

Basically the iPhone and the upcoming iSlate / tablet etc are both touch based devices, and I think that makes them have a lot in common in terms of UI elements (buttons, multitouch gestures etc). So it would make complete sense to give them the same core os, and simply change elements that don't fit on the bigger screen, like the home screen.
  • Reply 179 of 224
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Or just someone with a brain.

How anyone can take a word that comes out of that ultra-conservative, far right, pro-religious, homophobic, racist, sack of steaming lies is beyond me. It gives tabloid journalism a bad name.

So yes, Fox News source = lie.

What a piece of work....

"Ultra-conservative"

"Far right"

"Homophobic"

"Racist"

"Sack of steaming lies"

Then you go a throw in "Pro-religious"...

This is exactly why you leftwing nut jobs will always come off looking foolish... It's your complete inability to see the world as it really exists.

Believe it or not Einstein, billions of people from around the world are religious to one degree or another. Throwing around that word in the same context as 'Homophobic" and "Racist" is not going to win you any popularity contests in the global community.
  • Reply 180 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

I suspect you are right, but I think that either it will be a brief mention or be a quiet update.

I'm good with that.