Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report

Comments

• Reply 141 of 224
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

My bias is that the tablet would be for content creation and the two easiest fits are writing and drawing. Thus my feeling that iWork with a new paint app would be the best fit.

Sounds right to me. A paint app fits the form factor, and there are paint splatters on the invite.

It would be good if the screen was sensitive/accurate enough to use real paintbrushes on - sans paint of course
  • Reply 142 of 224
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Nice! Next gen software is even better then hardware! Can't wait for my FM tuner, FM Transmitter and N Wireless to be unlocked!!!!
  • Reply 143 of 224
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think we're going to see the introduction of a painting program for iLife.

They should introduce a "Read to you (grand)children" app for audiobook content.

Buy a book, and be able to dub over it in YOUR voice. (small books like for kids) and then you can give it to your children/grandchildren. It will display the pages/text, and like a LeapFrog or something, it will also have the ability to have your voice dubbed in. Add a built-in camera and slit-screen with a recording of "Grandpa" or "Great Great Great Grandpa" reading me the story.

It would be a legacy you could hand down.
  • Reply 144 of 224
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

why are there so many hippies on this site? I know you like to spew hatred (hypocrytically) at fox news for being conservative, but easily over 90% of the people in news are leftists. grow up. but I'm sure I'm wasting my time as most of you complaining have your egos firmly implanted in leftist ideology (ie not reality). ...

Wow. Do you actually believe this? This is absolute crazy talk.

You're categorising anyone who doesn't like Faux news as a "hippy"??? What are you twelve? Do you even know what a "hippie" is/was? 90% of the people in the news are "leftists"???

You sound like Archie Bunker.

Also, don't use a word like "ego" unless you can use it correctly. You just sound even stupider. An ego can't be "implanted" (or planted even!), in anything.

Also, to be really picky, "hypocrytically" is spelled "hypocritically" and "ie" is an abbreviation, and should be spelled "i.e."
  • Reply 145 of 224
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Isn't it funny how they can't help but inject their ideology into every aspect of everything they do/see/read/hear? I am amazed that the mere mention of Fox causes so many of them to begin blurting noises and puffing about like a bunch of territorially-challenged chimpanzees.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Why would they announce a new iLife for macs at a tablet announcement? I would guess that there may be some new features shared between the tablet and iLife; either in the form of new programs (paint being a possibility), more syncing options (could apply to iWork too), or the tablet may have the ability to interact directly with iLife programs on a mac as a secondary input device/secondary monitor.

Oh well the 27th isn't too far away, we will know soon enough.

I'm betting they take iWork even higher into the clouds this year (pun intended) and allow table users the ability to view an edit iWork documents. I'm hoping new versions of iLife and iWork are introduced since I'm a little behind the times and still running '08 versions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

How anyone can take a word that comes out of that ultra-liberal, far left, anti-religious, greenie-weenie, racist, sack of steaming lies is beyond me. It gives tabloid journalism a bad name.

So yes, MSNBC News = lie.

Wow, you liberals are right... Just a few words can make all a difference! I'm ready to watch some neutral Olbmerman now!

Quote:

Absolutely.

I think I could be wrong too, but I don't understand why me saying this has got so much blow-back. Traditionally, the drawing/paint application is *always* included in an Office type suite.

Apple's longest lasting offering of that type is Appleworks (now defunct and officially replaced by iWork), and the only thing "missing" in the new incarnation is the old Appleworks drawing program. I didn't think it was controversial at all to suggest that iWork would be the place to put the drawing/paint program. Productivity apps just make more sense for a tablet IMO than "lifestyle" apps.

I could be totally wrong of course, but I was just going with what seemed the most likely given past history.

I agree with you on several points.
  • Reply 146 of 224
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Isn't it funny how they can't help but inject their ideology into every aspect of everything they do/see/read/hear? I am amazed that the mere mention of Fox causes so many of them to begin blurting noises and puffing about like a bunch of territorially-challenged chimpanzees.

Kind of like when right-wingers can't help whining about the superiority of their own ideology as they revel more in upsetting left-wingers than actually saying anything cogent themselves ...

FOX News, not FOX, has decided upon an ideological approach to news editing and promotion. Newspapers in a century ago did the same thing, so they have plenty of precedent from which to draw. Unfortunately studies have shown those who use FOX News as their primary news source consistently rate lower on tests of current events than any other news agency. Just the facts, echochamber ... I mean echosonic.

FOX News does GREAT reporting on NASA and tech things however so I don't judge them on this story particularly harshly .... and I am glad they are out on the right flank, keeping liberals more honest. It is just good to remain skeptical with a company that relies way so much on analysts from only one side of the political divided. Gotta love a broadcasts who keeps hiring folks like Oliver North, Rove and others who are either or have been under indictment.

Anyone else here not really care about a painting program for the tablet!? The market now if for readers of print media and a more enjoyable multimedia experience connected to a fast internet. I prefer the 7" format or a Courier-like (read as mythical) functionality. If I'm carrying 10+ inches I might as well have a laptop.
  • Reply 147 of 224
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

They should all be disgusted with themselves. The advent of "commentators" on news programs needs to end. There is a place for them on talk shows and such. Not the primetime news.

Bingo.
  • Reply 148 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

My bet is that both the next-gen iPhone AND the tablet will run the same operating system, OS 4.0. Perhaps they will be slightly different (e.g. different resolutions), but more or less the same. iLife 2010 will run on both Mac OS X and the Tablet.
  • Reply 149 of 224
    Quote:

Traditionally, the drawing/paint application is *always* included in an Office type suite.... Apple's longest lasting offering of that type is Appleworks

Yeah AppleWorks and MS Works (iirc) included drawing programs.

But MS Works was kind of targeted at your average home user (or student) needing lighter programs. As was AppleWorks. And as such paint/draw also fit as a nice add on (but never the primary app). [edit: Who is iWork targeted at?]

Also, at that time, there really wasn't anything to compare with an iLife style suite.

As I said though - in support of including "iPaint" with iWork, I think the old OpenDoc idea has merit.

I mean - you open a "page" and write on it, draw on it, put a spreadsheet on it, paint on it... whatever.

Quote:

I don't personally see how iLife would be very useful on a tablet

When using any of the iLife applications, a keyboard is rarely required. I think that's a nice way of looking at which apps MIGHT actually run better on a touch system. Most mouse usage translates across quite well (just needs bigger selection points sometimes), the main challenge is menus (either at the top or pop-up menus).

Quote:

I'm looking forward to the clarity that will come just *after* the announcement.

Oh yes. Then we no longer justify why we think we're right
  • Reply 150 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

What I would be looking for during this session is:

- A "Dual Pack" of both iLife X and iWork X.

- Some significant integration with the iPhone/touch platforms, as well as an iSlate.

That means Apple stays ahead of developer on their own products.

A "dual pack" iLife/iWork (+ family pack) would be interesting to a lot of people. I do anticipate a slate version of these - the interface MUST be made specifically for touch, but there's no reason that they couldn't have a release for both platforms, slightly different versions with the same core.

It needs to have a very good sync system.
  • Reply 151 of 224
    The new iPod Touch will have a 10" diagonal screen, more storage and a better processor.

It will have a separate stand to hold it while it's being used with the wireless keyboard and mouse, all sold separately.

It can be used as a portable device or as a desktop device.

What's really amazing it can switch from classic OS X UI mode to iPhone OS mode.

No superdrive, no hard drive. SD slot and USB, no video out though.
  • Reply 152 of 224
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

A "dual pack" iLife/iWork (+ family pack) would be interesting to a lot of people. I do anticipate a slate version of these - the interface MUST be made specifically for touch, but there's no reason that they couldn't have a release for both platforms, slightly different versions with the same core.

It needs to have a very good sync system.

You think they?ll focus on Mac software release with this event? I don?t think so. I think the rewrite of the Mac version of iLife X to Cocoa and 64-bit may still take some time. I don?t think we?ll get the Cocoa version of iTunes X will come next September with the next iPod/iTunes Special Event.

I think the Tablet OS will have iLife and iWork capabilities but it will have been written specifically for the device and will be very different from the Mac equivalents, despite some obvious similarities.
  • Reply 153 of 224
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Apple's longest lasting offering of that type is Appleworks (now defunct and officially replaced by iWork), and the only thing "missing" in the new incarnation is the old Appleworks drawing program. I didn't think it was controversial at all to suggest that iWork would be the place to put the drawing/paint program. Productivity apps just make more sense for a tablet IMO than "lifestyle" apps.

Actually, Appleworks also had a data base component which was fully integrated with, word processing, spreadsheet, drawing & painting apps and a presentation app. 6 apps, all in the same suite .... in some ways still better than iWork, even 'tho iWork is an amazing program. I still use Appleworks although it's being used less and less every day.
  • Reply 154 of 224
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Again, let me explain to you: Stuff saved in iWork '09 cannot be opened in iWork '08.

I did not save iWork '08 so I cannot check my facts but as I recall there are two points I will make:

One, when I save a document that was created with a previous version I am given an opportunity to save it in a fashion to make it compatible with both versions, I believe.

I think the main reason there is no backward compatibility in '09 is because that is when drop shadow and transparency was introduced, was it not? Both of these would cause issues when opening in '08, no?
  • Reply 155 of 224
    Quote:

Wow. Do you actually believe this? This is absolute crazy talk.

You're categorising anyone who doesn't like Faux news as a "hippy"??? What are you twelve? Do you even know what a "hippie" is/was? 90% of the people in the news are "leftists"???

You sound like Archie Bunker.

Also, don't use a word like "ego" unless you can use it correctly. You just sound even stupider. An ego can't be "implanted" (or planted even!), in anything.

Also, to be really picky, "hypocrytically" is spelled "hypocritically" and "ie" is an abbreviation, and should be spelled "i.e."

im sad to hear you say this, youve been my favorite commenter on this site, i had you pegged for more of a thinking person. thank you for the spelling and grammar lesson though, and for informing me that ego's can not be implanted. also, the intellectualization which you just exhibited as an ego defense mechanism to counter my statements (without actually countering my statements) just reinforces my point. so thank you for that as well. to answer your questions: no, i do not believe the complainers are wearing tie dye shirts and are high on lsd; yes, 90% of the people in news are leftist; and no, im not twelve.
  • Reply 156 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What's really amazing it can switch from classic OS X UI mode to iPhone OS mode.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • Reply 157 of 224
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Right? The idea that there will be no UI designed for a 10? touch device, but instead of an upscaling of a 3.5? display onto a display about 8x the screen area and the downsizing of a UI that is for 13? to 30?+ monitors that has no touch elements built in makes no sense. Even using a 10? netbook with Mac OS X can be rough simply because some elements are so small despite the use of a keyboard and mouse pointer.
  • Reply 158 of 224
    I have to say that an update to iLife is not really news, it's a forgone conclusion. There's been a new version of iLife pretty much every year so it's no real stretch of the imagination that Apple is going to release a new version.

As to iWork it will also get updated but I'm still holding out for a mobile version of it as well as a mobile version of iWeb.
  • Reply 159 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, sounds like I hit a nerve. Perhaps you should be less condescending the next time.

1) '.doc' worked for over a decade. iWork hasn't been (seriously) around for half as long. Give Microsoft some credit. Even if they deserve none, that is a pretty pathetic bar to set.

2) Please speak in English, instead of sounding like a tech nerd, so that I can decide whether I am being intellectually honest or not. "The Pages 08 format was a package. That's a nifty design ..." (In what way is a 'package' nifty?). "...put it in a .zip to email it, then unzip it, and viola! it's a folder with stuff in it." (So?) "The Pages engineers realized they had a broken (or anyway suboptimal) file format and they changed the format to a flat file." (Suboptimal to flat? Yeah, that's totally clear). "It wasn't ill will, or pique, or a desire to force migration ....but you could have saved it in a .doc format or a .rtf format" (And lose the purpose for which I bought iWork? No thanks. Btw, you're obviously not a Keynote user. Try going back and forth between that and PPT).

3) Your arrogance is amply evident when you make a statement such as "...everybody you're lecturing probably knows all this." If/when you took a poll and had some results to share, let me know.

4) I wasn't complaining about the 'certainty' of anything. This is a rumor forum where one can express an opinion, in case you haven't noticed.

Sorry but I'm with Ronbo on this one.

.Doc might have worked but .Doc is only one aspect of the Office package. People DO complain about Office changing the file format because with EVERY release of Access (the database in Office) the previous file cannot be opened or loses some aspect of it meaning you can't upgrade your databases easily. I know of one company that has tonnes of Access databases and with their last upgraded spent huge amounts of money in order to move away from Access because their business was being impacted by Microsoft not remaining backwards compatible.

.Docx is not compatible in previous versions of Office unless you have the convertor software installed in the previous versions. People DID complain about this but quickly got over it because it is actually a more stable version of the file format.

What Rondo was saying with the package verses flat file was that '08 used a system similar to an app whereby instead of a single file it is actually a folder with the contents of the document in it. This is bad because the only way to distribute that file is to zip it up and then send the zip file, you can't send the document directly because no e-mail system can handle that. Essentially it adds a level of complexity to a situation that shouldn't be that complex.

The flat file means that it is a single file just the same as a text document, Word document, Excel document, Access database, or RTF document making it trivial to email a document therefore making it easier for the user. However, in creating this document format it is 100% impossible to open in '08 without first converting it to '08. However, now that Apple has this far superior document it seems completely plausible that '09 can open '10 files with minimal fuss.
  • Reply 160 of 224
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think we're going to see the introduction of a painting program for iLife.

Oh no. A paint program. Can see it now. All types of brushes for the finger types then comes the millions of ipaint galleries. Canvas gone digital. Of course their will be fantastic demos but ony 1% will ever be able to paint like that. Why not, I suppose, if they can do it.