Apple's Jan. 27 'one more thing' could be Verizon iPhone - analyst

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Damn if that is the "one last thing" how boring and uninspiring would that be.

I know that lots of Americans would jump for joy, but for most of the rest of the planet that already standardised on gsm it would be a waste, if there is a one last thing please be something decent!

Agreed!! Hugely boring for a press release, never mind a 'one more thing'.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Yes look how the choice of helped expand the UK, France, and Germany but all the other carriers were GSM. The only other place you find CDMA are the US a several third world countries Qualcomm could convince to invest in their network.

I don't think Japan and the Republic of Korea like being called "third world".

50% of iPhones are sold in the US. There's a sufficiently big market to support a third iPhone model.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckdutter View Post

I doubt non-existent hardware is compatible with Verizon's CDMA network.

Non-existent? I'm talking about the "WCDMA" phones that Apple started selling in China a few months ago...
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post
    1. Apple runs commercials highlighting the AT&T GSM network capabilities (simultaneous data/voice)

2. Apple announces a CDMA-only version of the iPhone, which cannot perform said capabilities

Very good point
  • Reply 45 of 104
    I'm gonna laugh when it's an AppleTV update.

Steve - "We have some exciting news for our AppleTV!"

Crowd - DOHHHH!!!!

iPhone is going to Verizon, as much as I hate to admit it. My source tells me it's soon, as there are prototypes in the hands of Verizon executives as we speak.

As for the iPhone 4.0 software, I hope they add some of the things all the websites have been talking about such as multitasking, better sync, better layout, customization, improved wifi, etc.

I have no comment on the tablet, I'm still not convinced it exists, and if it is real, there is no way Apple is going to slap some half assed, juiced up, version of the iPhone OS on there. It just doesn't make sense. I'm sure if they're doing a tablet, it'll contain a slim OSX. I mean think about it, look how small the Air is, and it's running OSX just fine.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post
    1. Apple runs commercials highlighting the AT&T GSM network capabilities (simultaneous data/voice)

2. Apple announces a CDMA-only version of the iPhone, which cannot perform said capabilities

They may stop those ads or put up a disclaimer with or without the AT&T and/or T-Mobile logo(s) denoting that it depends on the network type. But it would seem to me that they decided to monopolize on this fact so late in the advertising is because they don?t plan to release a CDMA-based iPhone for the US. The Verizon ads attacking, not AT&T, but the iPhone seem like a nail in that coffin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I figure he forgot about Japan, Korea and others, or was focusing on countries that are ENTIRELY CDMA-based, which do to tend to be the poorer countries.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    How many devices are being used on it?

I'm still waiting for flying cars to use the air roads I "built" in the 60's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

World's first commercial LTE network is now ON in Stockholm since mid-December 2009.

• Reply 48 of 104
    Droid Does or Doesn't outsell iPhone on Big Red?

I'd say Droid Doesn't.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    Quote:

What's the big deal about making a phone for a short lived bastard network like CDMA. Verizon should either move up their deployment of LTE or wait until 2011 to get an iPhone that works EVERYWHERE.

Because when Verizon introduces LTE it will supplement CDMA not replace it, at least not for a long time. It would be like using a 3G iPhone without EDGE - unusable for a lot of people.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Steve hasn't used "One more thing" in years.

According to Wikipedia he last used it in October 2008 to introduce a Macbook following new Macbook Pros. Phil Schiller apparently used "One Last Thing" last year.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    Quote:

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs often uses the phrase "One more thing..." to indicate a surprise product announcement towards the end of his keynote presentations.

Isn't the entire presentation supposed to be a surprise? So, shouldn't the entire event be called, "Oh, and one thing..."
  • Reply 52 of 104
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i gotta disagree with Misek. Apple's "one more thing" is not likely to be a Verizon iphone. because it's not superduper cool enough for that surprise moment. that moment would be something that has been so closely guarded that no one has a clue. no rumors, nada.

a Verizon iphone would be just an update on an existing product so it can't be the creation in the invite. if that is anything from the rumors it is the tablet. Because that is the only totally new, change the market, product.

I doubt myself that Apple is making a Verizon iphone at this point, in part because I can't see them putting two chips in that little device and there's not yet a dual phone. When LTE is out in the world enough to be useful, Verizon might work. I really think all the Verizon talk is a misread. I don't think it is an iphone but rather an iphone OS device. ie the tablet. unlock that, put in both chips etc and you've got a device that, depending on the functions and features, could redefine the whole netbook world.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    Not being able to handle voice and data at the same time will surely keep me away from Verizon.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetDon View Post

After "There's a map for that" and the island of misfit toys commercial - there will not be a Verizon iPhone as long as Steve Jobs lives.

i agree and disagree. I think that Verizon is aware that Apple has no intentions of making a CDMA phone for them and/or sprint and thus they are going full guns to push their phones.

but in terms of after LTE comes out and is big enough to be the IT tech, Verizon could be able to have the phone by then

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post

the "one more thing" could also be a giant robotic badger.

sorry no badgers. I've seen it. and it's an ROUS. and it is cool and awesome and yes, great

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

This is why ATT is lowering their rates. They don't want a mass exodus.

but that doesn't mean there could be a Verizon anything from Apple. they could be fighting those folks that would rather go with another device on another net cause they feel that ATT sucks. they could be doing this to get ready for official unlocking and folks jumping to T-Mobile (which can handle the phone as proven by the illegal unlocking) etc

as for the rest of the rumors. I suspect that we might see a mention of ilife and iwork which I don't believe have been updated to really take advantage of Snow Leopard's 64 bit power. There's been talk of an overhaul of idvd to cover not only dvd menus but perhaps also the LP and Extras set up. I doubt it, but I suppose it could happen. Certainly any kind of update with the whole iwork.com would be useful, if only to remind folks that it exists.

something about the whole Lala.com thing is likely to come up. again, if only to point out that it exists and what it is.

I don't see a lot of hype over iphone 4.0. a mention that it will be releasing shortly sure but I"d be shocked if it gets more than 10 minutes.

a specs bump in the Mac Pros, maybe. a bump in the time capsules,airports etc. if there is anything to bump, there might be a two minute mention. new specs on the Apple TV to use all the LP, itunes, Lala, sure it could happen.

new laptops or imacs, not likely. that is more something for June to kick off the back to school sales and makes a ton of sense cause folks probably gripe like mad when they buy their kid a MBP and then 3 weeks later something new is out or the price is dropped and you've got all that hassle to deal with (for the customers and the stores)

and I agree with those that believe that Apple isn't about to mention an Verizon iphone, unlocking etc. ATT would revolt if they cut into sales with a way early announcement on those fronts and would probably call out the lawyers and the hounds. That stuff won't come until May or June (at WWDC most likely)
  • Reply 55 of 104
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post

the "one more thing" could also be a giant robotic badger.

iBadger, wow I totally need one of those to get rid of my rodent problem. Then next year, something to get rid of my badger issue. iViper.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

50% of iPhones are sold in the US. There's a sufficiently big market to support a third iPhone model.

Although I think it unlikely that we'll see this OMT, I do have to say that yours is a very sensible, sober post.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    Quote:

So why make a phone that is going to be obsolete in 18 months even before the contract runs out.

It won't be obsolete in 18 months -- it simply won't be the latest & greatest. Verizon's LTE deployments are not replacing CDMA -- they are overbuilding. CDMA is going to be around for a long time. EV-DO Rev A speeds are perfectly acceptable for a mobile device for most people for the next few years. In 18-24 months the bleeding edgers can get the LTE model. Seems like a perfect setup actually.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    If you can't wait for Verizon to pick up the iPhone, then lets do something about it. If you've got bad service with At&t, share your story. Maybe if enough of us get talking about it, Apple will give a hoot.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    Someday I hope the iPhone will come also out over Verizon. That means all of you will jump off AT&T and then I will not have so many dropped calls.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    hahahahah, seriously? Verizon? WHAT A JOKE!

These analysts need more research in mind, It's obvious.

i bet they're also looking for more iPhone/tablet rumors online while using their Droid. and maybe a nexus one?

Verizon suckkkkss!