Apple's Jan. 27 'one more thing' could be Verizon iPhone - analyst

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice spin! That only went live 5 weeks weeks ago, mate, 5 weeks.

Quote:

A showcase that no one appears to have reported on? Where are the specs of this lTE phone? Where are the pics?

Yes, they wrote of that. You can find the mention of it in each report about LG's keynote, it usually runs right after the section depicting their USB modem.

It was some pod, being used internally for testing purposes. However, it was shaped as a phone and indeed connected the cellular network.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's never irrelevant. It is what it is. Right now, Apple is running about normal for the P/E. Non GAAP, they're even low.

But expectations always come into play with investments. The price goes up because more people are wanting than people are offering at a lower price, so the price goes up. It's just supply and demand. No one sets the price.

If Apple announces a tablet, the price will go even higher. If they don't, it will drop. That's the way it works. Nothing unusual.

I would go even further, and point out that expectations are just about everything when it comes to stock prices. Nobody buys a stock based on last year's earnings. They buy (or sell) based on what they expect next year's earning will be. That's why P/E is such a poor indictor of valuation -- it only looks backwards. The betting is over how much Apple will grow earnings in the coming year.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I would go even further, and point out that expectations are just about everything when it comes to stock prices. Nobody buys a stock based on last year's earnings. They buy (or sell) based on what they expect next year's earning will be. That's why P/E is such a poor indictor of valuation -- it only looks backwards. The betting is over how much Apple will grow earnings in the coming year.

That's right. It's the "What are you going to do for me later."
  • Reply 84 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It was some pod, being used internally for testing purposes. However, it was shaped as a phone and indeed connected the cellular network.

Let?s forget the power requirements and heat generation of LTE for now and only discuss the size of that modem. That looks like it?s 2x as big as an iPhone and that is just the LTE modem HW. As I recall the way 3G came onto networks, first with data connect cards and then in phones, we hear about LTE-capable phones toward the end of the year, with CES 2011 likely showcasing a lot of LTE HW, but a modem capable of working for the iPhone is likely not going to be available to until 2012. That is my guess. Of course, every now and then something spectacular happens where we advance faster than normal. I hope that happens but so far I?ve seen nothing to indicate that.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's right. It's the "What are you going to do for me later."

That's one way of putting it. Stock prices are always a bet on the future, which is why the markets are up so much from a nine months ago, even though the economy is still stinko.
  • Reply 86 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Picture the scene, SJ on stage "and one more thing...

...introducing Steve Ballmer"

Monkeyboy comes running on Office, Office, Office, Outlook, Outlook, Outlook, Office, Office, Office, Outlook, Outlook, Outlook, FOR THE iPHONE!!!!

Massive presentation happening on the big screen.

...and then into the presentation local and cloud based, linked to OS 4.0 with Enterprise compliant security updates, multitasking ability to run in the background, yada, yada, yada.

I wouldn't like to be holding RIM stock if this happened.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Yes look how the choice of helped expand the UK, France, and Germany but all the other carriers were GSM. The only other place you find CDMA are the US a several third world countries Qualcomm could convince to invest in their network.

Yeah, other third world countries like "china", south korea", and now "JAPAN".

You're kind of what in my country we call a jerk.

CDMA ain't going anywhere for awhile.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Quote:

That looks like it?s 2x as big as an iPhone and that is just the LTE modem HW.

Not exactly. Take the size of regular smartphone buttons on the right box (M13) for comparison, there's also a bottle of water shown on one of those shots. The thing is about the size of smartphone (iPhone included) in its volume, even a bit smaller. So they may stuff the chunk with some display and buttons.

Well, sure it's not a phone just waiting for customer to grab it. This is why I wrote "LG is told to ...". Yet, I'm expecting real phones from LG and Samsung right this year of 2010. I'm not abandoning hopes for even iPhone 2010 may as well be LTE.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    Meanwhile Ericsson and 3 will be rolling out an 84Mbps 3.5G network across Denmark and parts of Sweden on the 900MHz band.

So what speeds does Verizon currently get?

Quote:

Not exactly. Take the size of regular smartphone buttons on the right box (M13) for comparison, there's also a bottle of water shown on one of those shots. The thing is about the size of smartphone (iPhone included) in its volume.

Well, sure it's not a phone just waiting for customer to grab it. This is why I wrote "LG is told to ...". Yet, I'm expecting real phones from LG and Samsung right this year of 2010. I'm not abandoning hopes for even iPhone 2010 may as well be LTE.

• Reply 90 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Meanwhile Ericsson and 3 will be rolling out an 84Mbps 3.5G network across Denmark and parts of Sweden on the 900MHz band.

Yep. The folks were already yelling on forums out there, that their 3G is always better than Sprint's WiMax, when comes to bitrate.

Quote:

I can't say. AT&T pretended VZW's "3G" was just about the 3G's bottom line of 384Kbits/s.

VZW's shown 4Mbit/s downstream at CES 2010.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    Charge $$ per x megabytes per mo and extra $$ for overages, much like your data plans right now.

Learn from AT&T. You give people unlimited data access and it's rife for abuse. I enjoy VZW network because it's not congested, all my calls go through and the data speed is as advertised.

Any of this gets compromised with these iPhone freeloaders, I'm moving to T-mobile or Sprint.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    Quote:

I can't say. AT&T pretended their "3G" is just about the 3G's bottom line of 384Kbits/s.

VZW's shown 4Mbit/s downstream at CES 2010.

Where do you get this FUD? That would be accurate if you flipped it around. I?m currently getting nearly 3Mbps on AT&T. EV-DO Rev A. Simply can?t compete with 3GSM in throughput.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Quote:

Where do you get this FUD? That would be accurate if you flipped it around. I?m currently getting nearly 3Mbps on AT&T. EV-DO Rev A. Simply can?t compete with 3GSM in throughput.

Mea culpa. Should read "AT&T pretended VZW's "3G"...", VZW's, not AT&T's. Sorry.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post
    1. Apple runs commercials highlighting the AT&T GSM network capabilities (simultaneous data/voice)

2. Apple announces a CDMA-only version of the iPhone, which cannot perform said capabilities

Er, how important a feature is this really? Besides, AT&T's network is so pathetic, my guess is it can't hold a call up long enough to do both!

The only reason why AT&T (and Apple) made such a big deal about this questionable feature, was that it was the only thing they could claim going up against the big red map & Verizon's top ratings in Consumer Reports & JD Powers, whereas AT&T was at the bottom of both.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirelesstestman View Post

Er, how important a feature is this really? Besides, AT&T's network is so pathetic, my guess is it can't hold a call up long enough to do both!

The only reason why AT&T (and Apple) made such a big deal about this questionable feature, was that it was the only thing they could claim going up against the big red map & Verizon's top ratings in Consumer Reports & JD Powers, whereas AT&T was at the bottom of both.

Questionable feature? Um, it unquestionably exists, works great and is very, very useful. No need to pooh-pooh 3GSM just because you don?t like AT&T, when there are plenty of legitimate reasons.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Quote:

When will the phones be ready to use those speeds? I'll bet that it will take a very long time. Not even because they don't have the radios ready, but because even the fastest smartphones today can't fully benefit from WiFi speeds because their processors are just too slow.

Just like phones can't fully take advantage of WiMax.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

Charge $$ per x megabytes per mo and extra $$ for overages, much like your data plans right now.

Learn from AT&T. You give people unlimited data access and it's rife for abuse. I enjoy VZW network because it's not congested, all my calls go through and the data speed is as advertised.

Any of this gets compromised with these iPhone freeloaders, I'm moving to T-mobile or Sprint.

Verizon is good, and one reason is that they have many fewer people using data at nearly the rates that AT&T does. If that happened to them, their network wouldn't seem as great.

AT&T's data usage went up 5,000% in the past three years, while Verizon's had gone up by 350%.

That's the major reason.

Coverage, and bandwidth of the network are different things.
  • Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:

I use it all the time, and I'm not the only one of those I now.

I'll bet that if some people move from AT&T to Verizon, there will be people screaming bloody murder over this, unless Verizon spends the money to implement the new standard for CDMA that allows it.

That could be one of the sticking points between Verizon and Apple.
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Wasn't Allitel at the bottom of one of them?

Quote:

• Reply 100 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Not exactly. Take the size of regular smartphone buttons on the right box (M13) for comparison, there's also a bottle of water shown on one of those shots. The thing is about the size of smartphone (iPhone included) in its volume, even a bit smaller. So they may stuff the chunk with some display and buttons.

You're really out to lunch then.