Apple's Jan. 27 'one more thing' could be Verizon iPhone - analyst

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Okay... lets sit back a second...

Are you actually suggesting that Apple isn't going to announce a tablet next week?

Sorry to break the bad news to you... but they more assuredly are.

Why you ask?

#1 - The entire free world and most importantly WALL STREET is very much convinced and is expecting a table announcement. If Apple we to NOT deliver on it their stock would fall so far you'd not be able to see the floor.

#2 - Apple has a history of officially leaking things to temper expectations on products... Apple did it with the iPod Touch not having a camera... If they'd do it for something as minor as that then you gotta know they'd do it for something as major as a non-existant tablet!

We hope, you mean.

And no, Apples stock would not fall if a mythical product was not announced, but instead new upgrades and improvements to their current stock driving product line.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

We hope, you mean.

And no, Apples stock would not fall if a mythical product was not announced, but instead new upgrades and improvements to their current stock driving product line.

I think there's a good $20 built into the stock price right now based upon an expected tablet announcement soon. If we don't hear one, I expect the stock will fall rapidly.
  • Reply 63 of 104
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think there's a good $20 built into the stock price right now based upon an expected tablet announcement soon. If we don't hear one, I expect the stock will fall rapidly.

more like there's a good $20 built into the price predictions. and probably about $10 for the quarter earnings coming out on monday.

if those two items fail to impress the stock will stay at the same $210 give or take $5 that it is at right now (and has been for a little while)
  • Reply 64 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Non-existent? I'm talking about the "WCDMA" phones that Apple started selling in China a few months ago...

Yes, non-existent. WCDMA = UMTS = GSM. It's the same thing AT&T is running stateside. So to answer the original question...no it will not work on Verizon.
  • Reply 65 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckdutter View Post

Yes, non-existent. WCDMA = UMTS = GSM. It's the same thing AT&T is running stateside. So to answer the original question...no it will not work on Verizon.

Saying CDMA ≠ WCDMA would be simpler and more accurate. You might get berated by not including a “for all intents and purposes” qualifier to your "WCDMA = UMTS = GSM” comment.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    from reading this,

I get that the new iPhone will look like a scaled down version of the predicted tablet.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

more like there's a good $20 built into the price predictions. and probably about $10 for the quarter earnings coming out on monday.

if those two items fail to impress the stock will stay at the same $210 give or take $5 that it is at right now (and has been for a little while)

I don't think so. I think it will drop.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

from reading this,

I get that the new iPhone will look like a scaled down version of the predicted tablet.

Hmm!

And here I was thinking the the tablet would look like a scaled up version of the iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Saying CDMA ≠ WCDMA would be simpler and more accurate. You might get berated by not including a ?for all intents and purposes? qualifier to your "WCDMA = UMTS = GSM? comment.

Yeah, you're right. Oh well, I guess I'm just really tired of the iPhone going to Verizon being treated like some sort of second coming, especially by "analysts" who have less of an understanding concerning telecom and Apple than most of the people on these boards.

My predictions for the event:

1. Refreshed Macbook Pros (arrandale) perhaps with a slight price drop - focus on peformance/battery life

2. iLife/iWork with a focus on mobility

3. iPhone OS 4.0 focus on productivity/multitasking

4. Tablet - tying everything together

And the show is over.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckdutter View Post

Yeah, you're right. Oh well, I guess I'm just really tired of the iPhone going to Verizon being treated like some sort of second coming, especially by "analysts" who have less of an understanding concerning telecom and Apple than most of the people on these boards.

My predictions for the event:

1. Refreshed Macbook Pros (arrandale) perhaps with a slight price drop - focus on peformance/battery life

2. iLife/iWork with a focus on mobility

3. iPhone OS 4.0 focus on productivity/multitasking

4. Tablet - tying everything together

And the show is over.

We can go home?
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

What's the big deal about making a phone for a short lived bastard network like CDMA. Verizon should either move up their deployment of LTE or wait until 2011 to get an iPhone that works EVERYWHERE. Apple should learn a lesson from the China Unicom deal. They made a special version of the iPhone to comply with national regulations and they probably still have not sold as many iPhones in China as they did the first weekend here in the US back in June of 2007. So why make a phone that is going to be obsolete in 18 months even before the contract runs out. Apple didn't put parallel ports on their computers so they could connect to the majority of available PC printers they stuck with USB and now what do the majority of printers connect to their computer with. There are other GSM carriers in the US why not open up to them.

Well said!
  • Reply 72 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post
    1. Apple runs commercials highlighting the AT&T GSM network capabilities (simultaneous data/voice)

2. Apple announces a CDMA-only version of the iPhone, which cannot perform said capabilities

Like running our PPC chips are so much better than those other guy's chips. And then moving on over to the other guys chips. I know it's old news and all, but Apple even shares the patents on those "old chips."

Commercials are just that-- all marketing and BS; business is making money. If Steve went on stage and said "Can you believe those Verizon a**holes for those commercials", then I could see your point. He hasn't, so I still think anything is possible.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    This would be great news if true. I love Verizon's coverage and customer support.

Tie that with the iPhone and I'm sold.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Which woukd make it an inflated price based on speculation and thus irrelevant. The amount of hype in the tech community is fueled by Apple + insane materialism.

Market speculation is based more appropriately on projected earnings, which are substantial right now, and will only improve after more Apple goodness floods the market next week.

Aside from goofballs that can't wait to rub their sweaty hands on this thing, Wall Street doesn't care about the tablet, because it's a likely failure (based on all historical precedent) and has no target demographic whatsoever. I'm not saying Apple won't magically bypass all of that, but market price does Not include $20 worth of anything tablet related.

More like the constant bump in predictions for quarterly earnings that we've seen. It goes up and up and there is no tablet or tablet-minded customer causing that.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

What's the big deal about making a phone for a short lived bastard network like CDMA. Verizon should either move up their deployment of LTE or wait until 2011 to get an iPhone that works EVERYWHERE. Apple should learn a lesson from the China Unicom deal. They made a special version of the iPhone to comply with national regulations and they probably still have not sold as many iPhones in China as they did the first weekend here in the US back in June of 2007. So why make a phone that is going to be obsolete in 18 months even before the contract runs out. Apple didn't put parallel ports on their computers so they could connect to the majority of available PC printers they stuck with USB and now what do the majority of printers connect to their computer with. There are other GSM carriers in the US why not open up to them.

I for one am in my 18th month (actually my 19th cause it Jan already for crying outloud)

and if this baby (a CDMA VERIZON i-Phone ) came out tomorrow I would jump on it

You have to realize by now at least- (unless you've been hiding under a rock all this time)

that these friggin' iPhones are selling like hot cakes and will continue to do so EVEN IF APPLE DIDNT DO ANYTHING!!!! they would still fly off the shelves-

I just got my 3rd iPhone 3g replaced 3x already and I'm 7 months past my warranty

who does that??? Only Apple, and I can still put it in eBay still have the original packaging and get $400. For it and even if I had to cancel my AT&T agreement and pay penalty I would switch in a heartbeat to VERIZON there's a map for that !!!

AT&T IS HORRIBLE IN NYC AND IVE HAD IT WITH THEM and if verizon gets the iPad I'm on it!!!
  • Reply 76 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Which woukd make it an inflated price based on speculation and thus irrelevant. The amount of hype in the tech community is fueled by Apple + insane materialism.

Market speculation is based more appropriately on projected earnings, which are substantial right now, and will only improve after more Apple goodness floods the market next week.

Aside from goofballs that can't wait to rub their sweaty hands on this thing, Wall Street doesn't care about the tablet, because it's a likely failure (based on all historical precedent) and has no target demographic whatsoever. I'm not saying Apple won't magically bypass all of that, but market price does Not include $20 worth of anything tablet related.

More like the constant bump in predictions for quarterly earnings that we've seen. It goes up and up and there is no tablet or tablet-minded customer causing that.

It's never irrelevant. It is what it is. Right now, Apple is running about normal for the P/E. Non GAAP, they're even low.

But expectations always come into play with investments. The price goes up because more people are wanting than people are offering at a lower price, so the price goes up. It's just supply and demand. No one sets the price.

If Apple announces a tablet, the price will go even higher. If they don't, it will drop. That's the way it works. Nothing unusual.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

I for one am in my 18th month (actually my 19th cause it Jan already for crying outloud)

and if this baby (a CDMA VERIZON i-Phone ) came out tomorrow I would jump on it

You have to realize by now at least- (unless you've been hiding under a rock all this time)

that these friggin' iPhones are selling like hot cakes and will continue to do so EVEN IF APPLE DIDNT DO ANYTHING!!!! they would still fly off the shelves-

I just got my 3rd iPhone 3g replaced 3x already and I'm 7 months past my warranty

who does that??? Only Apple, and I can still put it in eBay still have the original packaging and get $400. For it and even if I had to cancel my AT&T agreement and pay penalty I would switch in a heartbeat to VERIZON there's a map for that !!!

AT&T IS HORRIBLE IN NYC AND IVE HAD IT WITH THEM and if verizon gets the iPad I'm on it!!!

I just hope Verizon is willing to spend the money to do data and voice. It's a new CDMA standard. I use that a lot, and wouldn't want to lose it.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How many devices are being used on it?

I'm still waiting for flying cars to use the air roads I "built" in the 60's.

If you read the news, you would have noted 1 model of modem (from Samsung) has been commercially available on the day of going live. Last year, mate, last year.

LG is told to have showcased LTE phone at CES 2010.

I strongly believe they've got at least 2 customers right on the day after.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Interesting phishing.

UPD: Seems to be harmless.

DOMAIN: 4g-verizonwireless.com[Who Is Domain]

RSP: Sky-IP.com[Who Is Domain]

URL: http://www.sky-ip.com[Who Is Domain]

created-date: 2009-11-13 14:49:06

updated-date: 2009-11-13 14:52:42

registration-expiration-date: 2010-11-13 14:49:07

owner-organization:

owner-name: Francisco Gibbs

owner-street: Obarrio Panama

owner-city: Panama

owner-state:

owner-zip: Z1245

owner-country: PA

owner-phone: +507.2640852

owner-fax:

owner-email: [Who Is Domain]
  • Reply 80 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

If you read the news, you would have noted 1 model of modem (from Samsung) has been commercially available on the day of going live. Last year, mate, last year.

Nice spin! That only went live 5 weeks weeks ago, mate, 5 weeks.

Quote:

LG is told to have showcased LTE phone at CES 2010.

A showcase that no one appears to have reported on? Where are the specs of this lTE phone? Where are the pics?