Offbeat: Steve Ballmer signs MacBook Pro - running Windows, of course

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As others have said it is an Intel computer that can run his company's OS, why would he even ask if they needed a new one?

So another copy of Windows 7 could be sold with the new computer! Gotta drive up those numbers somehow...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradJT View Post

Does he mean a new laptop? Does he think Microsoft MAKES computers?

They don't make computers. They make them crappy.

They certainly have made them crappy (sometimes spectacularly so!) for most of the company's existence. I've never been terribly impressed with any of Microsoft's software products (Excel rocks, but that's about it, IMHumO). I have a Vista laptop, but I'll be darned if I pay for an upgrade to Windows 7 -- if/when I need to get another Windows-based computer, then the newest system will be part of the purchase, and as all of my graphics/audio software works (and performs) fine on Vista, I couldn't justify the cost.

I have SL 64-bit working just peachy on my iMac, so that was $30 well spent!
  • Reply 62 of 130
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Ballmer's reaction was correct. And we found out that he's human after all.
  • Reply 63 of 130
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    "Need a new one?" is a question that needs to be asked at Microsoft's stockholders meeting in relation to the CEO position.
  • Reply 64 of 130
    Quadra,

Well said sir!!!
  • Reply 65 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Steve doesn't allow himself or his family to get into spontaneous situations and can be quite vicious defending his privacy. So be warned.

Every public appearance is calculated with Steve to create the icon image, but personally Steve is a bit odd in the genius sort of fashion.

You want a autograph? Get Phil's, he's always popping around various Apple Stores, but be warned, you'll be buying a Mac, he's a extremely good salesperson.

This was actually my point that he wouldn't be in that position. *shrug* guess I didn't make it transparent enough.
  • Reply 66 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

hypothetically what do you think Jobs would do if the press were surrounding him at a college event and a student walked up with a Dell Mini 9 running OSX and that had an Apple sticker over the Dell logo and asked him to sign it?

(I know it's different as even Apple advertises that you can run Windows on a Mac, and sells Office for the Mac while this would be an "illegal" OS installation.)

I'm sure 80% of the posters to this site would want Jobs to call campus security and have the student tasered, but honestly, if the kid asked him to sign that, with cameras flashing, what do you think he would do? Smart-ass comment, wave him off, or sign it?

I was at the grand opening of the Fifth Avenue store and there were lots of reporters and cameras around. A teenager asked Steve to sign his BEIGE Apple mouse circa 1990. Steve replied "I wasn't even at Apple when they made that." No signature.
  • Reply 67 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

At least Manson would write something more interesting than "Need a new one?"

LIke what? "Tear you a new one"?
  • Reply 68 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I was at the grand opening of the Fifth Avenue store and there were lots of reporters and cameras around. A teenager asked Steve to sign his BEIGE Apple mouse circa 1990. Steve replied "I wasn't even at Apple when they made that." No signature.

Link?
  • Reply 69 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

at least he's got a sense of humor

Or he's just being factual and knows MBP model upgrades well!
  • Reply 70 of 130
    Quote:

What would make even bigger news is if a student went up to Steve Jobs and said " Mr Jobs would you sign my HP Envy, its running OSX, I promise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

True!

Yes but would he sign it?
  • Reply 71 of 130
    This is dripping with irony
  • Reply 72 of 130
    Ha, ha! Good for him (Ballmer)!

He should write 'Developers! Developers!' on the next one.

Somehow I can't imagine our own Great Leader being so lighthearted, but then maybe he has more serious work to do.
  • Reply 73 of 130
    Quote:

Link?

• Reply 74 of 130
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Link?

Yea really, since the Beige Mouse was ended mid 1980's and that would make it about 25 years old or older.

That's one pretty old teenager.

And Steve did introduce a Beige mouse with the Macintosh to match the Lisa, so he was there. Unlikely he made such a comment.
  • Reply 75 of 130
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

If he had any class, he would have refused to sign it. There's no way Steve Jobs would sign a PC, and make a joke of it.

Disagree. This is one of the few times that Balmer has shown he can be classy.

Taking the high road is always to be preferred.
  • Reply 76 of 130
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

I would love to see someone take a PC to Jobs and ask him to sign it! If someone does, post that video on here, and THEN we'll have a nice discussion!

PC's are mostly black or dark. Is someone gonna hand Steve a glitter pen to do it with?
  • Reply 77 of 130
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

If he had any class, he would have refused to sign it. There's no way Steve Jobs would sign a PC, and make a joke of it.

Why wouldn't Ballmer sign it? It runs Windows. It is not like Microsoft is in the PC hardware business.
  • Reply 78 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Why wouldn't Ballmer sign it? It runs Windows. It is not like Microsoft is in the PC hardware business.

Oh, my. You just started the whole thread over. \
  • Reply 79 of 130
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

"Need a new one?" is a question that needs to be asked at Microsoft's stockholders meeting in relation to the CEO position.

Hah!

In the pantheon of lovable oafs, Ballmer is second only to Homer Simpson.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I happen to be "a business person" and you are full of you know what. Since when does a business person have to lose touch with the consumer or display no sense of humor. Please don't go into business for yourself because with that type of an attitude you will surely fail, big time.

So you endorse competing products all the time, huh? Brilliant!