Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Let's coin this moment:

"The writing on the Mac"

• Reply 82 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

"Need a new one?" is a question that needs to be asked at Microsoft's stockholders meeting in relation to the CEO position.

That made me laugh out loud - excellent comment.
  • Reply 83 of 130
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

at least he's got a sense of humor

that's true

• Reply 84 of 130
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

So you endorse competing products all the time, huh? Brilliant!

Since you seem to have no analytical skills whatsoever ... something that

is extremely important for a businessman to have, I'll break it down into terms that even you should be able to understand.

Suppose you are a "business man", a very unlikely situation, to be sure, and you are surrounded by potential customers with the cameras rolling and someone comes up to you and asks you to sign a competitors product ... what do you do?

You can act like an ass, which in your case judging from your posts is likely, or you can quickly assess the situation and come to two quick conclusions.

One, it's an innocent request by a young potential customer, so why not humor them, or: Two, it's an attempt by a competitors customer to create a situation where you can be video taped acting like a complete buffoon. IMHO no contest.

Oh, btw, an autograph on a product using a marking pencil hardly qualifies as an endorsement. Try thinking before you post ... it would save you a lot of embarrassment.
  • Reply 85 of 130
    Quote:

Oh, it's great that he joked about it, and funny... but it doesn't look good for his company. Maybe instead of "no class", I should have said "unprofessional". Ask any business person, and they would not sign a competitors product. And they shouldn't.

90% versus 5%

Apple aren't competition for MS....
  • Reply 86 of 130
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

to patch Apple/Microsoft relations to get Bing to be the default search tool on the iPhone instead of Google?

If MS ditches the Zune, Zune Phone and Windows Mobile, then maybe there can be a deal.

Zune and WinMo7 will stay around to keep the DoJ away
  • Reply 87 of 130
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

90% versus 5%

Judging from the millions of ad dollars MS directs against Apple (think laptop hunter ads) I would say Steve Ballmer disagrees with you. Also, 95% vs 5% .... that's about right for iPod vs Zune, isn't it? ... and the retail value for software and hardware is almost the same.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

so then he can seem like a stuck up snob? i think its great he signed it and made a little joke about it.

people need to lighten up

Like most Mac fans, I enjoy a little bit of light-hearted teasing of Microsoft/PCs now and then. But sometimes Apple execs (Jobs, Serlet, even the teddy bear Phil Schiller) fall right into that stereotype of snooty self-seriousness. Both Ballmer and Gates, in general, are good sports and give credit to Apple for making good products. They are at times tasteless and obnoxious, but at the end of the day they act decently toward Apple. Apple never seems to say anything positive about Microsoft.

I guess it's leftover bad feelings from the 80's and 90's. Jobs, at his return to Apple, was very brave in saying something like, "we have to get beyond this idea that for us to succeed, Microsoft has to fail." Yet, he trashes XP/Vista/7 at every Keynote it seems. Time to move on, in my opinion. Let your products do the talking.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    I bet Jobs wouldn't even acknowledge someone asking for his signature. I recall a girl once asked to take a picture with him at MacWorld and he replied that she is rude and turned his back on her.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9852738-52.html
  • Reply 90 of 130
    It would be cool to have a Mac signed by Bill Gates, but by his useless college roommate?

No thanks.
  • Reply 91 of 130
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

90% versus 5%

On the contrary, we're seeing an epochal shift away from desktop computing to mobile, and in that space Apple has the upper hand. MS has been criminally slow to react, and may find themselves masters of a market segment no one really cares about any more. Just commodity computers outfitted with the bare minimum of amenities to keep prices at rock bottom levels, sold to corporations who deploy them like staplers-- which is about how much their users will care about them.

They won't go away, and they won't cease to make money, but no one will care.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    I bet with the next two years Ballmer will break off or close the Mixcrosoft MacBU.
  • Reply 93 of 130
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

90% versus 5%

And yet MS spends $300 million to prove otherwise...
  • Reply 94 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

He's lying...

Why use "I promise", like he's going to do it, when "I swear" is more accurate as Windows is already installed or supposed to be.

He's looking to make a buck and sell the Mac on eBay, except of course he should remove the "need a new one?" first.

Ballmer figured it out right off that the student intends to sell the signed MacBook to get a new one, and threw a curve in his signature.

If the student catches it fast enough with the right solvent, the ink won't be permanent.

I'm best friends with the guy and just to clear some things up about the macbook

It does run windows vista using virtual box. It is not a g4 it is a 15" macbook pro and iirc an 07 one at that. Just about all I can say and also that last he said he has no plans to sell it any time soon and would rather keep it.

edit: also it was signed with a sharpie
  • Reply 95 of 130
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I hate him slightly less for some reason...
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I don't think he's being a good sport, it's his redneck way of being pseudo gallant. I even wonder is this was staged in some way. Who with an apple laptop in his right mind would ask Balmer to sign it.

It being staged was my first thought. If it was intended to reverse some of the perception about Ballmer it worked quite well judging by the posts.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    Quote:

Oh, it's great that he joked about it, and funny... but it doesn't look good for his company. Maybe instead of "no class", I should have said "unprofessional". Ask any business person, and they would not sign a competitors product. And they shouldn't.

What hardware product does it compete with? Apple makes bootcamp to install Windows on their hardware. It's no different than him signing a Dell, or HP product, or anyone else who allows Linux as a choice OS. Don't be foolish.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Apple is not a direct competitor to microsoft with their hardware, and every mac with a windows is a licence at full price for M$ (hence lots of $$$ for them).

What if the data shows that most of the people running Windows on their Macs are using volume licenses, or licenses transferred from their old PC that they replaced with their sweet new Mac? Students and people who work in education have access to insanely deep discounts on MS stuff. If your company is a volume license customer, they quite likely make zero marginal profit on one measly little Mac. (You get it from work because that one program that you need to do work on your laptop is windows only.) PLUS you wont be replacing that PC you didn't buy with another one every 2-6 years for the rest of your life... a lot of computers over the life of a college student.

Apple made the strategic move to release BootCamp because they thought it would sell more Macs, and it did. Ballmer can't be happy that Windows runs natively on Macs. Maybe he secretly wishes he could block it from running -- sort of like the DR-DOS thing, I guess --because in the end, MS has to help their PC manufacturer customers sell hardware, same as Apple. Except that Apple is writing software to help Apple sell hardware.

Windows works very well in a virtual machine now too. That wasn't true back in the PPC days. I have three different versions of Windows on my Mac and I didn't have to pay anything more to MS because I work for a school. Microsoft had a wet dream not so long ago about making everyone get a license for each and every virtual machine you host on a physical machine. Not just for Macs, for PCs, and especially servers too. They realized that they couldn't do that because they didn't sufficiently control the market for OSs (Linux). Before that, it was each CPU core that they wanted to charge us for. They would do all of this if they could.
  • Reply 99 of 130
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Microsoft doesn't have a counterpart to a MacBook Pro; so I don't see your point. Microsoft has a counterpart to OS X, and that is Windows.

The kid was using Apple hardware, but the operating system (which he had to purchase himself) was Microsoft Windows. He's a paying customer. Why wouldn't he sign it?

The story didn't say if the kid was running Windows as the lone operating system or if he was running it in Parallels, etc. Regardless, I have to agree. Why wouldn't he sign it?
  • Reply 100 of 130
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTripper

He's lying...

Why use "I promise", like he's going to do it, when "I swear" is more accurate as Windows is already installed or supposed to be.

He's looking to make a buck and sell the Mac on eBay, except of course he should remove the "need a new one?" first.

Ballmer figured it out right off that the student intends to sell the signed MacBook to get a new one, and threw a curve in his signature.

If the student catches it fast enough with the right solvent, the ink won't be permanent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerotype View Post

I'm best friends with the guy and just to clear some things up about the macbook

It does run windows vista using virtual box. It is not a g4 it is a 15" macbook pro and iirc an 07 one at that. Just about all I can say and also that last he said he has no plans to sell it any time soon and would rather keep it.

edit: also it was signed with a sharpie

Even if he changed his mind later on and did decide to sell it, It would be worth more if he didn't remove the "need a new one?".