Rumor: Apple could announce end of AT&T iPhone exclusivity Wed.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

At my home I have no service with ATT. My wife has good 3g service. If the iPhone comes to Verizon I'll be switching when my contract with ATT expires.

Where do you live? The vast majority of the country has *NO* 3G coverage of any kind with AT&T.

None.

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf
  • Reply 22 of 154
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Let the carriers compete!!

This whole thing where if you want the iPhone in the U.S you have to put up with just one carrier is wrong.

Phones are phones. As long as it works on a carriers network and meets the requirements of the carrier, it should be allowed to work.

It's in Apple's best interest to sell as many units as possible, to as many carriers as possible that is worth doing.

It's in the consumers interest to let the carriers compete on being carriers, not on what phones they have.

With competition we get lower prices and better quality, not this $100 a month rip-off we are experiencing now.
  • Reply 23 of 154
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Those have already been for sale... for quite a while now:

http://www.buy.com/prod/apple-iphone...211209903.html

Why should I pay $900 when I already have one, especially an 8GB 3G not 3GS? You can get them for much less on ebay.

I want AT&T to unlock my iPhone when I fulfill my contract.
  • Reply 24 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Let the carriers compete!!

With competition we get lower prices and better quality, not this $100 a month rip-off we are experiencing now.

Exactly! I think that this is the reason why Verizon and, now, AT&T have dropped their prices. Since the phone choices will be even, they now have to get back to what is in the best interest of consumers (i.e. compete in prices to win people over).
  • Reply 25 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Ok... Can I get my iPhone officially unlocked now?!

likely not. even if Apple and ATT are splitting it is possible that Wednesday will be the announcement of a future date. And it is possible that the laws are such that you'd have to buy a new handset to get an unlocked model, or fully compete/buy out a contract to have an existing one unlocked
  • Reply 26 of 154
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Even though I still predict that iPhone will never be on Verizon's network I can say that if current iPhone can't do T-mobile it is a bit more likely for Apple to just screw GSM all together and go with sprint and metro PCS, while begging Verizon to take them.

T-Mo and US Cellular would be good too, since you would be able to use the iPhone on the L.
  • Reply 27 of 154
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • Reply 28 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

likely not. even if Apple and ATT are splitting it is possible that Wednesday will be the announcement of a future date. And it is possible that the laws are such that you'd have to buy a new handset to get an unlocked model, or fully compete/buy out a contract to have an existing one unlocked

It's not any law that I've heard of. I don't know if it changed, but AT&T did have an unlock policy to unlock on request for customers in good standing for 18 months, but iPhone was an exception to that policy.
  • Reply 29 of 154
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

AT&T will never ever unlock your iPhone even after you complete your contract. Even if you pay the no contract price your iPhone will still be locked to AT&T network. It took a class action lawsuit to get Verizon and Sprint to unlock all their handset upon contract expiration if the customer ask to. The same lawsuit is now going against AT&T and T-Mobile.
  • Reply 30 of 154
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

... If the iPhone comes to Verizon I'll be switching when my contract with ATT expires.

Me too. And countless others. Hey backtomac, 4000 posts !!
  • Reply 31 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Even though I still predict that iPhone will never be on Verizon's network I can say that if current iPhone can't do T-mobile it is a bit more likely for Apple to just screw GSM all together and go with sprint and metro PCS, while begging Verizon to take them.

T-Mo and US Cellular would be good too, since you would be able to use the iPhone on the L.

The iPhone would never go to US Cellular or any regional carrier such as Metro or Cricket. I can say that for certainty because that would not be in Apple's best interest since those carriers are not national carriers and are not available everywhere. That would be a complete step backwards.

Now, as for Sprint, if Apple goes with Sprint, then they might as well go with Verizon as both of them operate on the same network and network infrastructure (a good portion of Sprint's network is actually operated by Verizon). I predict that either A, AT&T will stick with GSM and add T-mobile. Or, B, they would create CDMA and, ultimately, LTE versions that are compatible with Verizon, which is the logical choice.
  • Reply 31 of 154
    AT&T + iPhone = Caught in a "bad romance".
  • Reply 33 of 154
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Where do you live? The vast majority of the country has *NO* 3G coverage of any kind with AT&T.

None.

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf

I live in rural Kentucky. But you miss the point. My wife has 3g service at my house with Verizon and I don't even have edge service. The only way I can make calls with my iphone at home is via skype on my wireless internet network.
  • Reply 34 of 154
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

We don't remember hearing about AT&T's 'horrible network' before the iPhone--do you

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Actually, yes I do

Agreed. ATT/Cingular has always sucked. I paid the contract cancellation fee to get out of my contract, and that was over a year before the iPhone was unveiled. Poor coverage, dropped calls, delayed voice mail delivery, lost text messages, and lies by customer service agents added up to me throwing away $35/month on what was little more than a paper weight of a phone that seldom provided reliable service.

Many years of customer surveys by Consumer Reports will back that up. ATT has always been at the bottom of the ratings. Apparently this analyst, like so many others, didn't do any actual research of the facts before releasing the findings.
  • Reply 35 of 154
    I say Apple should release an iPhone like the BlackBerry 8830 World Phone with a CDMA and GSM chip in it. Let people choose.

I know a lot of people are saying that the phone wont go Verizon until 4G but why not go now? Verizon's 4G network isn't up yet and there isn't anything for certain that it will be up on Apple's schedule. Instead of risking it, release something on Verizon now and expand customer base to Verizon's network. Apple will get all the customers they have missed out on (like me who want an iPhone but refuse to go back to ATT) and Verizon will get back people who moved to get the iPhone but would prefer their coverage.

I also think it is funny how many people think that because of a couple commercials Apple wont go to Verizon. I think Apple has enough common sense to know that they are just commercials and just business, dealing with what is there now.* Also, I think the "There is a Map for that" commercials will go great with "There is an App for that." Just think...

The Apple iPhone on the Verizon Network. There is an App for that...and now a Map for that too. (I am not a copywriter so it will probably be catchier than that but you get the idea.)

Also, if ATT is really being this bitchy to Apple, I can't wait to see Apple go "OK, screw you!" add Verizon support and ATT gets to watch their numbers go down.

*Apple may even have been aware of these commercials and told Verizon to go ahead and run them to try and keep the upcoming Verizon iPhone a secret. Would you really put it past them? Apple has constantly gone out of their way to keep things like this a secret.
  • Reply 36 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

No phone can switch a call between 3G and EDGE. If a call starts on 3G, in must end on 3G. Or, alternatively, end when 3G coverage vanishes. AT&T's 3G coverage gaps and insufficient network capacity are to blame.

I believe you have that incorrect. I recall that a 3GSM connection can complete an inter-technology handoffs to GSM. If it?s a GSM call then it has no ability to handoff to 3GSM, thus requiring disco/reconnect to get on 3GSM. I don?t think GSM has the dual-mode inherent to make the it possible, but 3GSM does. At least, that is how I remember it.
  • Reply 37 of 154
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    So if my iPhone were unlocked it wouldn't work on any other 3G network in the United States? So when I'm done with it I'll probably end up keeping it as a wifi device? I guess I could sell it to someone who has good AT&T service. But it won't be worth anything...

Maybe I'd keep it for vacations in Europe.
  • Reply 38 of 154
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Sorry, but I've seen no cogent argument/evidence that the iPhone will be available anywhere in the U.S. but from AT&T in 2010. Hollow arguments are seemingly being created merely to support a rumor.

The "new creation" might well be available from other carriers though. If the device is priced high enough, broader availability will be necessary to increase demand.
  • Reply 39 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe you have that incorrect. I recall that a 3GSM connection can complete an inter-technology handoffs to GSM. If it?s a GSM call then it has no ability to handoff to 3GSM, thus requiring disco/reconnect to get on 3GSM. I don?t think GSM has the dual-mode inherent to make the it possible, but 3GSM does. At least, that is how I remember it.

This is a correct statement. The problem, however, is that AT&T doesn't do this. Calls that start on the UMTS/HSDPA network, which are packet switched, do not transverse to the Edge network, which is circuit switched, no matter what handset you use. The 3GSM standard does not allow for you to go backward (form Edge to UMTS/HSDPA)... at least not that I have seen.
  • Reply 40 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

So if my iPhone were unlocked it wouldn't work on any other 3G network in the United States?

That is correct, unfortunately. The only two GSM carriers in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T uses the world standard for 3G (UMTS/HSDPA with some HSPA showing up) that operate on the 850, 1900, and 2100MHz frequency bands (mostly 850 and 2100 from what I have seen). T-Mobile, on the other hand, runs on an exclusive and proprietary 1700MHz band. Most 3GSM handsets do not contain the 1700MHz band (the iPhone is no exception). Only phones that are made for T-mobile's 3G contain this band (conversely, phones that are 3G on T-mobile usually do not contain the bands needed for AT&T 3G).