Rumor: Apple could announce end of AT&T iPhone exclusivity Wed.

Comments

• Reply 121 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

"HotHardware alleges, without any evidence to support the claim, that the iPhone doesn't handle the switch from 3G to EDGE connections well, and frequently drops calls when 3G access is lost."

No phone can switch a call between 3G and EDGE. If a call starts on 3G, in must end on 3G. Or, alternatively, end when 3G coverage vanishes. AT&T's 3G coverage gaps and insufficient network capacity are to blame.

EDGE doesn't carry phone calls, GSM does. EDGE is purely data while 3G is (UMTS) is a mixture of voice and data.

My Nokia 6680, which was the second 3G handset that Nokia offered allowed me to easily switch between 3G and GSM during calls. I remember, as I was in Norway at the time and only the cities were covered in 3G and I had to commute for a week between two cities about an hour apart and there was only GSM coverage between but 3G in the two cities. I never had issues with dropped calls.
  • Reply 122 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Try watching SlingBox at the airport while talking on the phone with your Verizon iPhone....

Suckers...

Yeah I want to have a phone call with you while you watch movies, really? I hope you do not conduct business like that.
  • Reply 123 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Yeah I want to have a phone call with you while you watch movies, really? I hope you do not conduct business like that.

Well if the SO is calling and bitching about something, who wants to listen to that garbage? Just get online and do something else while she is talking while going uh huh, sure, ok every now and then to make it look like you are paying attention. Who said it had to be business? But if it was, I'd like to have the ablility to get some information online if someone was asking for it while talking. The other day I had to get something online from our website and send it to a peer. I was on the phone talking to them, retrieved the information and e-mailed it to them. Could I do that on a current American CDMA network? No, unless I was on Wi-Fi, which I was nowhere near.
  • Reply 124 of 154
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Son0fsocal View Post

Apple knows that as soon as they

go to vzw it's light out for android!!

More likely, ATT knows that when the Android phones hit their stores, its lights out for the iPhone.
  • Reply 125 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

More likely, ATT knows that when the Android phones hit their stores, its lights out for the iPhone.

Unlikely.

Android phones are already on iPhone carriers across the globe. Based on steadily increasing worldwide sales of iPhones, it appears that AT&T's sales of iPhones would continue to increase, regardless of the availability of Android phones.
  • Reply 126 of 154
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

No. Android are nice. But the iPhone is better.
  • Reply 127 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Why do people say this? Whenever our phones drop from 3G to Edge, you cannot go online while on a call. Maybe not everyone experiences this, but we do.

And when using WiFi, you CAN surf and talk at the same time on a Verizon phone.

Half-truths are a stock in trade around here.
  • Reply 128 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Somebody please give me explanation of How the iPhone user experience would be better on Verizon?

As if you were pitching this to Steve, I don't want to hear more coverage more speed as neither is true, or translates into something the user experiences.

Here's my pitch to iSteve: "You'll make lots of profits".

Does Apple care about anything more than profits?

Certainly they would never lose profits in order to offer a "better user experience". Indeed, they will never ever do anything for any reason other than to maximize total profits. The user experience is just a means to an end. The goal is to maximize total profits.
  • Reply 129 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well if the SO is calling and bitching about something, who wants to listen to that garbage? Just get online and do something else while she is talking while going uh huh, sure, ok every now and then to make it look like you are paying attention. Who said it had to be business? But if it was, I'd like to have the ablility to get some information online if someone was asking for it while talking. The other day I had to get something online from our website and send it to a peer. I was on the phone talking to them, retrieved the information and e-mailed it to them. Could I do that on a current American CDMA network? No, unless I was on Wi-Fi, which I was nowhere near.

Ahhh thanks for jumping in with your statement but my point was I wouldn't want to talk to someone on the phone while they watch a movie. Never mentioned anything else about whatever it was your were babbling about.
  • Reply 130 of 154
    Quote:

Everyone's situation is different in many ways, but I know that since my job requires me to drive a heavy amount around town regularly, wi-fi isn't a viable option where on AT&T I don't have to have a Wi-Fi connection to work with simultaneous voice and data while on the road. Let me know when a current CDMA provider allows me to do that while relying exclusively on their CDMA coverage.
  • Reply 131 of 154
    Quote:

HotHardware alleges, without any evidence to support the claim, that the iPhone doesn't handle the switch from 3G to EDGE connections well, and frequently drops calls when 3G access is lost.

That's odd... I frequently have dropped calls, particularly when I talking to another AT&T customer and I rarely have 3G service enabled.
  • Reply 132 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Half-truths are a stock in trade around here.

Obviously, since WiFi is not part of the mobile network's communication system there would be no conflict of usage. As usual you come into a conversation with a half-thoughtout idea. I can also use a Bluetooth radio headset while making a GSM or 3GSM call and using WiFi for data access.

Just like your poorly concieved nothing that the failure of Android to command iPhone numbers across multiple carriers is some tied to AT&T not directly selling an Android device. Especially considering that you've previously stated that people only stay with AT&T for the iPhone. Now we are to believe that they love AT&T and want desperately to drop the iPhone???
  • Reply 133 of 154
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    At&t is complaining that the iPhone has hurt their image? What a joke.

I suppose AT&t's bank is complaining that all of the money AT&T is making is causing their bank vaults to overload. They are going to drop AT&t as a customer. Just too much trouble to store all that money.
  • Reply 134 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

> Because they are the only company to carry it, and it's such a data hog, it's largely to

> blame for AT&T's network troubles. We don't remember hearing about AT&T's 'horrible

> network' before the iPhone--do you?"

Huh? AT&T only covers about 18% of the country with 3G today.

Before the iphone... they covered even *LESS* of the country.

How can "tower coverage" be Apple's fault?

(This is in *ADDITION* to the fact that AT&T can't handle heavy traffic.... they just can't handle *ANY* traffic... in about 82% of the USA. They have *NO* 3G cell towers in countless places.)

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf

AT&T (just like Micro$hit from back in the day is just a cabbage patch work of little Ma-Bells pieced together ( remebember when they were Cingular, then Cingular One and then they re-branded back to AT$T they were a bunch of little cell companies around the country that ATT would buy out then merge into one BIG MESS AT$T) they never EVER had a REAL NETWORK from the ground up it was a bunch of smaller cell companies trying to be one BIG telcom (this is what MICRO$hit software still is today : do your reseach and see they are a bunch of patched software apps that never really work well together

so I say bring it on VERIZON + APPLE = ME

I'm one my 3rd Iphone and it's only 1 week old and just yesteday I was on a crosstown bus and the network dropped over 5 x on my call I had to redial my phone 10 x urrrggh

yea right it's the HARDWARE sure thing Att want us to believe that I cannot wait until June when they won't be saying that BS anymore... See ya ATT

CAN U HEAR ME NOW????!!!!!???!!!
  • Reply 135 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing an anonymous "inside source," HotHardware has reported AT&T could lose their iPhone exclusivity on Wednesday, when Apple is also expected to introduce its long-awaited touchscreen tablet. ...

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Business relationships are a lot like personal relationships.

Unless there has been a major falling out, there is no reason to announce to the world that "it's over" until the last possible day (June). There is just no incentive to close the gate prematurely.

So unless Apple caught AT&T whispering sweet nothings to Android and threw all of AT&T's clothes out on the front lawn (and you'd think we'd have heard about that), I'm thinking they won't announce anything until it's completely a completely done deal.

You gotta figure AT&T is still calling Apple up every night begging for forgiveness and "one more chance" at least.
  • Reply 136 of 154
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I'm curious. If ATT blames iPhone users for clogging their network, and apple goes to another network, what will happen to all the android, pre and other smart phones going to do to their network.

I don't see Apple dropping ATT, only adding other providers.
  • Reply 137 of 154
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Business relationships are a lot like personal relationships.

Unless there has been a major falling out, there is no reason to announce to the world that "it's over" until the last possible day (June). There is just no incentive to close the gate prematurely.

One reason would be to prevent customers on the new iPhone networks from committing to new long term contracts in the period between the announcement and the availability. That could amount to millions of people.
  • Reply 138 of 154
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

You WILL NOT see a Verizon iPhone anytime soon. Verizon demands control of the user experience and Apple cant give that control up.

Not true. Verizon has sold smartphones for years with very little "customization". The latest models (i.e. Droid) run the stock Android OS from Google with no mods.

Verizon's consistent UI for its "dumb" phones may have helped streamline its customer service department, but as far as app/music sales it has been a flop. Verizon knows that.

Of course, "control" of revenue sharing is entirely another issue... that is the only realistic Verizon iPhone stumbling block I see...
  • Reply 139 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not only that, but many European countries had such poor landline services relative to the US and in particular Canada, that wireless became the law. Dictated by their governments, paid for by the taxpayer and no regional bylaws to prevent it.

Which countries are you thinking of specifically?

Quote:

And unlike North America, a single communication standard, i.e., GSM was basically adopted/enforced/became thenorm.

Yes, it was indeed a smart move that a common standard was agreed upon for certain frequencies. Although there are also CDMA operators in a few countries in Europe, since there is no international agreement for a certain technology concerning the 450 MHz band.
  • Reply 140 of 154
    Perhaps someone could comment on the technical feasibility of enabling simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's network by including dedicated radios for each, managed by software -- i.e., 2 radios, one used exclusively for voice traffic, the other exclusively for data.

Obviously, it would increase the cost to build an iPhone, and would probably affect battery life (although, the data radio could possibly be shutdown when not in use), but is there any technical reason this wouldn't work? Space might be an issue, but, since there would be no sim card, perhaps it would fit in that space?