Rumor: Apple could announce end of AT&T iPhone exclusivity Wed.

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154
    An anonymous source, and no evidence to support their claims. We don't know of any complaints against AT&T before they had the iPhone. Who are these people?

Every carrier has their fair share of customer complaints. The problem is that there are too many carriers fighting for airspace.
  • Reply 142 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not any law that I've heard of. I don't know if it changed, but AT&T did have an unlock policy to unlock on request for customers in good standing for 18 months, but iPhone was an exception to that policy.

They are the exclusive carrier as of now. That's probably why the exception. When the exclusivity ends, and you're out of contract, I can't imagine why they wouldn't unlock it.
  • Reply 143 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Business relationships are a lot like personal relationships.

Unless there has been a major falling out, there is no reason to announce to the world that "it's over" until the last possible day (June). There is just no incentive to close the gate prematurely.

So unless Apple caught AT&T whispering sweet nothings to Android and threw all of AT&T's clothes out on the front lawn (and you'd think we'd have heard about that), I'm thinking they won't announce anything until it's completely a completely done deal.

You gotta figure AT&T is still calling Apple up every night begging for forgiveness and "one more chance" at least.

I'd imagine it's in their contract not to announce competitors until a certain date. AT&T would be more likely to lose customers (or not gain) if Apple said, "oh by the by, you will not have to use AT&T soon because we're adding 3 new carriers in the US."
  • Reply 144 of 154
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    You could always just import one from the uk or some other country my 3gs is pay as u go not contract
  • Reply 145 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Perhaps someone could comment on the technical feasibility of enabling simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's network by including dedicated radios for each, managed by software -- i.e., 2 radios, one used exclusively for voice traffic, the other exclusively for data.

Obviously, it would increase the cost to build an iPhone, and would probably affect battery life (although, the data radio could possibly be shutdown when not in use), but is there any technical reason this wouldn't work? Space might be an issue, but, since there would be no sim card, perhaps it would fit in that space?

It would increase the cost to build BUT, considering Apple's high margins anyways, it may not affect the price for the consumer. The idea of a secondary, back up radio that kicks in when a call is received has been on my mind as well. If they did this, I would doubt if they could have a CDMA and GSM phone, unless they used a single chip that does both, then a back up CDMA.

It is possible they announce it Wednesday but it doesn't debut until the CDMA/GSM chips are more widley available (perhaps June?)
  • Reply 146 of 154
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

There must be a problem with the US system then. Here in the UK, my phone frequently continues calls started in 3G areas on EDGE or GPRS.

EDGE and GPRS are data only, your call will fall back to GSM, not EDGE or GPRS
  • Reply 147 of 154
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just like your poorly concieved nothing that the failure of Android to command iPhone numbers across multiple carriers is some tied to AT&T not directly selling an Android device.

I said that? News to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Especially considering that you've previously stated that people only stay with AT&T for the iPhone. Now we are to believe that they love AT&T and want desperately to drop the iPhone???

I never ever said that people only stay with ATT for the iPhone. I never ever said that people love ATT and want desperately to drop the iPhone.

If you can't argue against what I say, give up. Don't invent weird spins and attribute them to me.
  • Reply 148 of 154
    I live in the Catskill Mt. in New York. I've never had a problem from G3---->E. Never a dropped call on my iPhone. In fact, there was about a 50 yd. stretch of road where everyone's calls on ATT were dropped -- with all phones. Last week, this changed. ATT did a fix. Four bars all the way. Funny, isn't it. Since I live in a mountainous area.

I'd shoot myself in the foot before switching to Verizon. ATT gave me credit and VW wouldn't give my friend credit for the same issue. I'd use carrier pigeons before VW.

The only V in my life is Vonage...from when they only had a tiny office in NJ and no one knew who they were. Saw a note about them in Time Mag and thought I'd give it a try. Then it was bye bye Verizon.

J
  • Reply 149 of 154
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    I had the iphone,then dropped it and went back to verizon. I miss the iphone,but am satisfied with the droid eris for now until verizon gets the iphone. The only thing i have to question about the rumors of verizon getting the iphone sometime this year is why would Verizon dump so much time and money(also bashing iphone&at&t) into droid then just do a 180 and start pushing the iphone.Most verizon customers will line up for the iphone and ditch there droids. They will be just tossing droid to the side. The average consumer is familiar with the iphone,its simple and proven a success.The droid is a good phone,but its still not simplified like the iphone.

I hope i'm dead wrong and apple announces on the 27th the iphone is coming to verizon , but something is telling me that Verizon won't be offering the iphone until 2011,2012
  • Reply 150 of 154
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well this one did not come true... Sounds like AT&T still have a deal with Apple
  • Reply 151 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why should I pay $900 when I already have one, especially an 8GB 3G not 3GS? You can get them for much less on ebay.

I want AT&T to unlock my iPhone when I fulfill my contract.

You can forget about ATT unlocking your iPhone, it will not happen.......ever. I bought my iPhone when I was in Hong Kong. It's Legally Unlocked by Apple. When I returned home [US] I put my T-Mobil sim card and started making calls. ATT sucked 9 years ago and gave me every excuse in the book. I got rid of them and have been with T-Mo since. Verizon is a better service provider but they are no better when it comes to customer service.
  • Reply 152 of 154
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spezi View Post

Yes, it was indeed a smart move that a common standard was agreed upon for certain frequencies. Although there are also CDMA operators in a few countries in Europe, since there is no international agreement for a certain technology concerning the 450 MHz band.

Actually, it was a stupid move --- that's why European regulators have been reversing themselves and all the spectrum auctions in Europe have been technology neutral auctions.
  • Reply 153 of 154
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Actually, it was a stupid move --- that's why European regulators have been reversing themselves and all the spectrum auctions in Europe have been technology neutral auctions.

Hm so where's that Verizon iPhone?

Oh well. I'm getting an AT&T this weekend.