Rumor: Apple could announce end of AT&T iPhone exclusivity Wed.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tezgno View Post

Exactly! I think that this is the reason why Verizon and, now, AT&T have dropped their prices. Since the phone choices will be even, they now have to get back to what is in the best interest of consumers (i.e. compete in prices to win people over).

So the price drop almost confirms Verison is getting the iPhone.

And I suspects it will be slightly larger and a much larger iPod Touch too.

Both will come in colors.
  • Reply 42 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Yes, we knew about Cingular’s issues long before the iPhone announcement

2) I’d say the contract is likely up in the summer, after 3 full years on the market. Foolish for AT&T to make an agreement on a phone they never saw and have it start 6 months before it goes on sale.

3) If you are going to announce the beginning of the end of the exclusivity, likely coincide with the G4 iPhone release, then an even like this would be great as you can then announce your other mobile partners to help prepare users who may be not want to get back into contracts as well as take the blanket off the corporations so they can prepare for it in the light.

4) No new carriers will go live this week and no new phones will be announced this week.

5) AT&T had been building build out before the Phone launched. The comments that they just started recently to grow their 3G are blatantly false.

6) Using the countries map to say AT&T covers no one with 3G is a fallacy. The important areas, where people live are mostly covered. I am rarely out of a 3G area. I’m tethering my iPhone right now at 3Mbps.

7) AT&T’s dropped unlimited plan was a response to Verizon doing the same thing, and nothing else.

8) If this covers the quarterly sales, new stats, then the iPhone OS 4.0 demo, with SDK, the new carrier setups coming and then Apple Canvas with Canvas OS SDK there won’t be time for new pro Macs or Mac OS X apps. I think that stuff would be better served at a latter event focused on Mac stuff.

9) AT&T will not lose the iPhone. They will loose the exclusivity to it. I’ll be keeping my AT&T iPhone since I love simultaneous voice and data, and I hope they make it available for all carriers. a) So I can my bandwidth back from some of you, and b) to make stock jump like crazy with the iPhone Verizon. Wile a Tablet will be okay in the short run and likely great in the long run an iPhone on Verizon will make the stock jump 30 points in a day.
  • Reply 43 of 154
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,698member
    Ending AT&T exclusivity on Wednesday is meaningless without releasing new hardware on the same date.

I can't take my existing iPhone 3G to T-Mobile unless I want to settle for Edge (worthless). I can't likely unlock my iPhone even if I pay a cancellation fee even if I wanted to switch.

Only hold-outs can benefit from any announcements and new hardware.

Just bring on the iPad or Tablet or whatever. I need something to replace my laptop for trips.
  • Reply 44 of 154
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's nobodies fault but theirs. My wife has a Droid Eris on Verizon's network and it absolutely puts ATT to shame in my experience.

At my home I have no service with ATT. My wife has good 3g service. If the iPhone comes to Verizon I'll be switching when my contract with ATT expires.

Guess what? In my home I have perfect AT&T coverage. Your experience means nut
  • Reply 45 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is correct, unfortunately. The only two GSM carriers in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T uses the world standard for 3G (UMTS/HSDPA with some HSPA showing up) that operate on the 850, 1900, and 2100MHz frequency bands (mostly 850 and 2100 from what I have seen). T-Mobile, on the other hand, runs on an exclusive and proprietary 1700MHz band. Most 3GSM handsets do not contain the 1700MHz band (the iPhone is no exception). Only phones that are made for T-mobile's 3G contain this band (conversely, phones that are 3G on T-mobile usually do not contain the bands needed for AT&T 3G).

For this reason I think the next iPhone will have the 1700MHz radio for T-Mobile as to have make it compatible across two carriers with little effort.

I hope the CDMA-based iPhone comes but the logistics are considerably less certain or clear.
  • Reply 46 of 154
    Great post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, we knew about Cingular?s issues long before the iPhone announcement

Yes.

Quote:

Foolish for AT&T to make an agreement on a phone they never saw and have it start 6 months before it goes on sale.

Very insightful. Having been 'bitten once', I can see why there are 'twice shy' of being confronted with another blockbuster bandwidth-hogging product that is anounced 3-6 months before its release date.

Quote:

No new carriers or new iPhones will go live this week.

I agree with that too. SJ has one hour. He's not going to waste his time talking about carriers.

Quote:

Using the countries map to say AT&T covers no one with 3G is a fallacy. The important areas, where people live are mostly covered. I am rarely out of a 3G area.

I have had excellent experience with 3G coverage from ATT too, incl. during my visits to NYC and SF. Perhaps I am just consistently lucky.

Quote:

AT&T will not lose the iPhone. They will loose the exclusivity to it. I?ll be keeping my AT&T iPhone since I love simultaneous voice and data, and I hope they make it available for all carriers. a) So I can my bandwidth back from some of you, and b) to make stock jump like crazy with the iPhone Verizon. Wile a Tablet will be okay in the short run and likely great in the long run an iPhone on Verizon will make the stuck jump 30 points in a day.

ATT will have a head start in their strategy to bundle the iPhone and the iSlate into one compelling experience right off-the-bat, with a 3-6 month window for rolling out more towers and bandwidth. I have no doubt that they have seen this coming, and have a Plan B. I too will probably end up staying with them, for that reason. (Also, I tend to travel abroad a few times a year, and cannot see myself on CDMA).
  • Reply 47 of 154
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

> Because they are the only company to carry it, and it's such a data hog, it's largely to

> blame for AT&T's network troubles. We don't remember hearing about AT&T's 'horrible

> network' before the iPhone--do you?"

Huh? AT&T only covers about 18% of the country with 3G today.

Before the iphone... they covered even *LESS* of the country.

How can "tower coverage" be Apple's fault?

(This is in *ADDITION* to the fact that AT&T can't handle heavy traffic.... they just can't handle *ANY* traffic... in about 82% of the USA. They have *NO* 3G cell towers in countless places.)

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Verizon?

All of your posts seem to be the same.
  • Reply 48 of 154
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

So if my iPhone were unlocked it wouldn't work on any other 3G network in the United States? So when I'm done with it I'll probably end up keeping it as a wifi device? I guess I could sell it to someone who has good AT&T service. But it won't be worth anything...

Maybe I'd keep it for vacations in Europe.

It will work with any GSM carrier including T-Mobile. However, T-Mobile 3G is incompatible with the iPhone's 3G frequencies therefore you will be stuck with EDGE on T-Mobile. Personally, I just don't want to pay AT&T $3/min when I travel.
  • Reply 49 of 154
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

That's nobodies fault but theirs. My wife has a Droid Eris on Verizon's network and it absolutely puts ATT to shame in my experience.

At my home I have no service with ATT. My wife has good 3g service. If the iPhone comes to Verizon I'll be switching when my contract with ATT expires.

Is it true what they say about Verizon's network that you can't surf and talk at the same time? What has been your wife's experience with Verizon and the droid in that regard?
  • Reply 50 of 154
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:

good luck when you want to look something up on the web when your in a call...
  • Reply 51 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Those have already been for sale... for quite a while now:

http://www.buy.com/prod/apple-iphone...211209903.html

Give me an extra $35 and I'll get you a brand new, factory-unlocked, 32GB 3GS for that price.
  • Reply 52 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have had excellent experience with 3G coverage from ATT too, incl. during my visits to NYC and SF. Perhaps I am just consistently lucky.

No. I too have had equally good experience. My Rogers roaming bill while in both cities attest to that.

I would suggest that most of the complainers here don't have a iPhone but are more than willing to judge it and any service negatively.

Amazing how many here just don't get it. Just how many times do you have to explain that the iPhone won't work on Verizon and why?
  • Reply 53 of 154
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

I?m tethering my iPhone right now at 3Mbps

I wish AT&T actually let people do that.

You WILL NOT see a Verizon iPhone anytime soon. Verizon demands control of the user experience and Apple cant give that control up. As much as I hate to say it Apple is in a terrible negotiating position. AT&T has been a terrible partner. When you see a Verizon commercial knocking ATT and what phone are they using ? Mostly iPhones. When ATT defends their network the iPhone is completely absent. In fact I have yet to see an ATT commercial that has an iPhone in it. Maybe that is part of Apple's controlling the user experience part but....if ATT was happy with more iPhone sales they would at least mention the thing occasionally. ATT is actually selling more iPhones than it can handle. They want to sell less of them and advertise other (crappier) phones over the iPhone at every opportunity.

Verizon isnt stupid. They know this. As an investor I am terrified of Apple even contemplating T-Mobile or Sprint and am especially frenetic over their 'hat in hand' bargaining position with Verizon. Their iPhone margins will plummet over this. They are going to have to make major concessions and hardware revamps to ever get this thing on Verizon.
  • Reply 54 of 154
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What a fantasyland those AT&T executives are in. Tired of taking the heat from iPhone users?

What they mean to say is the iPhone is too good for their network.

There's one thing that's absolutely true - it definitely hurt their reputation.
  • Reply 55 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

So the price drop almost confirms Verison is getting the iPhone.

And I suspects it will be slightly larger and a much larger iPod Touch too.

Both will come in colors.

No.

The next-generation iPhone will be smaller than the current version.
  • Reply 56 of 154
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

That is correct, unfortunately. The only two GSM carriers in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T uses the world standard for 3G (UMTS/HSDPA with some HSPA showing up) that operate on the 850, 1900, and 2100MHz frequency bands (mostly 850 and 2100 from what I have seen). T-Mobile, on the other hand, runs on an exclusive and proprietary 1700MHz band. Most 3GSM handsets do not contain the 1700MHz band (the iPhone is no exception). Only phones that are made for T-mobile's 3G contain this band (conversely, phones that are 3G on T-mobile usually do not contain the bands needed for AT&T 3G).

Technically, there are quite a few GSM carriers, but AT&T and T-Mobile are the only ones with UTMS/HSPA 3G networks. The rest of edge only for data.
  • Reply 57 of 154
    Quote:

Do you remember saying this?

Quote:

ATT's 3g network doesn't make sense to me. It sucks in New York and San Fran but in Lexington Kentucky, about a half million metro area, it's pretty good. I get faster download speeds on the 3g cellular network than I get at my business with a 3 Mbps DSL service. Go figure.

• Reply 58 of 154
    Oh yeah, I bet those money-hungry AT&T execs are just dying to get rid of iPhone exclusivity.

I call B.S.
  • Reply 59 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Guess what? In my home I have perfect AT&T coverage. Your experience means nut

Same here. In fact, my experience is exactly the opposite of the other poster. My iPhone gets solid service in my home (except for one weekend after a Nor'Easter when a cell tower was down). And my roommate's Eris couldn't even connect to download apps on the first day he owned it.
  • Reply 60 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

with all of the rumored announcements, the show on Wednesday is going to last all day. and one more thing and one more thing, and oh yeah, one more thing.

Never happen but imagine if there was a campaign that said come to us, no data fee, unlimited texting and oh yeah, no $30 data fee. I can dream right. Competition will lower plans in time, in time.