Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

I'm not sure why you think that games wouldn't look ridiculous on a 10" screen. 2d games will not scale gracefully and 3d games aren't coded with enough detail to look decent on a larger screen even if they were coded to scale. At best, they'll look a little like playing quake 1 at 640x480 on a 22" monitor. In reality, they won't even do that, since even the 3d games use 2d tricks and assets to goose up performance.

And no-one is going to care about using any app in a 320x480 window on the tablet. Tons of every type of app will be ported to or designed for the thing and ready on Day 1 and more with pour in by the bucketful.

I play Snes (emulator) on my 92" screen. Although blocky, no pixilation, it's AWESOME. Sometimes it's more about the game than the graphics. Think Nintendo, it's their philosophy. If you think about it, they are indirectly competing against Nintendo DSi's.
  • Reply 102 of 208
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hopefully in both Mini and Maxi versions. The Maxi for your more demanding computing days. ...

I know it's not just you doing it, butI'm getting so tired of the juvenile maxi-pad jokes.

It doesn't even make sense.

"ePaper" doesn't suffer from the fact that other kinds of icky paper like toilet paper exist, why should "iPad" be any different?

"Pad" is a generic term, there are paper pads, message pads, and yes ... maxi-pads. So what?

The only reason people are making fun of it is because it's a female product that makes men nervous, so they turn into twelve year olds for no apparent reason.
  • Reply 103 of 208
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I don't need 99 cent TV episode purchases. Now, 99 cent TV episode rentals would be nice. I have no interest in owning TV shows. And for $1.99, I'll live with the poor Hulu quality.
  • Reply 104 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I don't need 99 cent TV episode purchases. Now, 99 cent TV episode rentals would be nice. I have no interest in owning TV shows. And for $1.99, I'll live with the poor Hulu quality.

you'd rather pay $0.99 for something not to own it. When you could own it for the same amount? Can you elaborate on that?
  • Reply 105 of 208
    Roll up A4-sized ?intelligent plastic? display. iNews.
  • Reply 106 of 208
    I can't wait for the iPhone to show up on Verizon. Four reasons:

1) It will free up my ATT bandwidth, and increases the possibility that ATT will bring iPhone tethering right away.

2) It will increase the value of my Apple shares.

3) It will kick sand in Droid's/Google's faces. I kinda like that.

4) It will choke up Verizon's network, and they'll have to do a major mea culpa.

• Reply 107 of 208
    [QUOTE=MacTripper;1556830If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept. Also locking it to the App Store will put off a lot of traditional computer users used to having control over their machines.

This would hurt any device out of the shoot. I wouldn't pay for another device on my bill.

Hope it has WiFi.

Dan
  • Reply 108 of 208
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I sure hope the tablet is easy to clean because half of you are going to get jizz on it.

• Reply 109 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danuff View Post

Hope it has WiFi.

Dan

Yeah, I hope it comes with a screen too. And some way to input data.
  • Reply 110 of 208
    and a battery. That would be sweet!
  • Reply 111 of 208
    It had best be a wireless removable module, or at least a module that does BOTH UMTS & CDMA. I am TIRED of being locked to providers.
  • Reply 112 of 208
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

and a battery. That would be sweet!

Only if it's removable.
  • Reply 113 of 208
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) It will free up my ATT bandwidth, and increases the possibility that ATT will bring iPhone tethering right away.

4) It will choke up Verizon's network, and they'll have to do a major mea culpa.

They sound like very good reasons to me!!!
  • Reply 114 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Apple's 'New Creation': What We'll Most Likely See...

Name: Apple iPad

Capacity: 32gb/US 599.99, 64gb US 699.99, 128gb US 899.99

Operating System: Apple Mobile OS 4.0 (yes, they renamed it)

Compatibility: All Existing iPhone/Touch apps (scaled as required) with a slew of new apps (innovative e-reading being the focus) designed specifically for the iPAD and its new capabilities/resolution.

Connectivity: 3g featured on the Verizon Network, but optional tethering for existing AT&T iPhone users.

Additionally: Absolutely NO OSX application compatibility, but will come with Apple Mobile OS versions of iLife and iWorks.

We'll See Soon Enough... [/CENTER]

That would probably be the stupidest business decision Apple could make.

1) Sure Verizon might cover redneckville but AT&T covers something like 99% of the populaton.

What buys iPhones? People in cities or people who live in redneckville?

2) 99% of the world is GSM not CDMA.
  • Reply 115 of 208
    the quality of tv at the moment warrants no more than .10c per episode. I am proud to say I get all my shows from torrents. Some that I want to support the creators financially I buy in dvd's too. These bozos should have already implemented a system with included ads and sold them free as in tv, it's not as if no one is scrolling ahead while watching a show anyway and the ads come on or going for crap in the toilet. And I refuse to accept that a show that I missed an hour ago on the tele to which I subscribe (with virtually no ads) I can't download it and view it at my home.

If they don't like me they can arrest me.
  • Reply 116 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Only if it's removable.

I don't get that argument. It takes 5 mins to change an iPhone battery with an Xacto knife. Pop back off, change battery, pop back on. battery good for 2+ years. Now use a simple math equation to figure power consumption to battery size and I'm sure They'll get it right AGAIN. Disposable batteries go against Apples greenness. They are bad for you, they are bad for everybody. Because although we can recycle them, most people don't. I'm either at work, in the car, or at home. Usually somewhere where there's a power source. I'm sure in my attempt to save the planet I can suffer some.

Now I'm guessing you want interchangeable batteries. That makes the product larger and introduces structural weaknesses.
  • Reply 117 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I completely agree. I, for one, don't need or want another monthly bill. I'd be perfectly content using the tablet via WiFi. Everywhere I'd need or want to use the tablet has WiFi. That's not to say it shouldn't have a 3G option however. I just think it should be optional. Unless, they can add it to my existing AT&T data contract for another $10-$15 month max. But even then, I'd be paying for something I don't really need.

Pretty much spot on especially if it can tether to the iPhone. I have a Nokia that uses JoikuSpot which connects via 3G and creates a wifi hotspot so either way I am set.
  • Reply 118 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Those are feelings to a T. I also think that an iPhone on Verizon will boost Apple's profit and stock price more than a tablet could.

Quote:

I don't get that argument. It takes 5 mins to change an iPhone battery with an Xacto knife. Pop back off, change battery, pop back on. battery good for 2+ years. Now use a simple math equation to figure power consumption to battery size and I'm sure They'll get it right AGAIN. Disposable batteries go against Apples greenness. They are bad for you, they are bad for everybody. Because although we can recycle them, most people don't. I'm either at work, in the car, or at home. Usually somewhere where there's a power source. I'm sure in my attempt to save the planet I can suffer some.

I was just following the comments of silly things to expect. Apple has never had an iDevice with a removable battery and their notebooks are now integrated, so even if for some reason you'd think it's a good idea it would be foolish to expect it. But the fact is that everything you stated are valid reasons that there shouldn't be a removable battery.
  • Reply 119 of 208
    Sorry solipsi,

my fault.
  • Reply 120 of 208
    Quote:

Sorry Slopsi,

my fault.

I am the one who failed to use and emoticon to indicate my sarcasm.