Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 208
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I wonder why they picked the smaller room for tomorrow.

Hmm?? They picked a smaller room for this presentation? Doesn't the Yerba center have a large seating area? This is where they had the last event right?
  • Reply 162 of 208
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Smaller room = higher RDF saturation = better control of the ensuing media frenzy that will be the tablet introduction
  • Reply 164 of 208
    Saw the interview on cnbc

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about their textbooks being on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

"Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. We have 95% of our materials in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is just going to be terrific."

• Reply 165 of 208
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Saw the interview on cnbc

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about their textbooks being on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

"Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. We have 95% of our materials in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is just going to be terrific."

[CENTER]Nice... and probably true.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 166 of 208
    From: http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-changes...ndustry_346777

In a statement released last night, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said, ?The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that we?re really excited about.?

Notice "new" products. Is he speaking merely of "new imacs" or actual new products as in plural.
  • Reply 167 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Report Them for what... Posting something with which you disagree, or using typographical justification that you don't like? LOL!

Maybe you should be reported for constantly posting irrelevant items completely 'off-topic', harassment, being rude, being hostile, name-calling, disrupting topic-flow, etc.

Let's just hope that Apple's 'New Creation' is more amiable/friendly than many of our forum members.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]I find your 'centered' posting style a bit irritating too. But each to his own.....[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 168 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

you'd rather pay $0.99 for something not to own it. When you could own it for the same amount? Can you elaborate on that?

I have a similar viewpoint when it comes to owning vs. renting on iTunes. I purchase a lot of tv shows on DVD, but very very few on iTunes because of the DRM. I like having the hardcopy as well as being able to lend a season to a friend once in a while. The day (if ever) the DRM is dropped from the videos available on iTunes, then I'll start purchasing from the iTunes Store. I did the same thing after DRM was dropped from all the music. I stopped buying CDs and went to iTunes.

The main point is, if Apple can get a subscription or rental plan for TV shows, I will drop my Comcast TV service right away and go buy a couple AppleTVs. I don't expect the same freedom with rentals as I do with my purchases, so I tend to care less about the DRM in these situations.
  • Reply 169 of 208
    Steve Jobs is going to be pissed with the McGraw-Hill CEO...He let the cat of the bag on live television! I couldn't believe my ears. So the iphone 4.0 software is what this thing will be running.
  • Reply 170 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hundo View Post

I have a similar viewpoint when it comes to owning vs. renting on iTunes. I purchase a lot of tv shows on DVD, but very very few on iTunes because of the DRM. I like having the hardcopy as well as being able to lend a season to a friend once in a while. The day (if ever) the DRM is dropped from the videos available on iTunes, then I'll start purchasing from the iTunes Store. I did the same thing after DRM was dropped from all the music. I stopped buying CDs and went to iTunes.

The main point is, if Apple can get a subscription or rental plan for TV shows, I will drop my Comcast TV service right away and go buy a couple AppleTVs. I don't expect the same freedom with rentals as I do with my purchases, so I tend to care less about the DRM in these situations.

DRM is not hard to remove. http://www.ffmpegx.com/
  • Reply 171 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[RIGHT]I find your 'centered' posting style a bit irritating too. But each to his own.....[/RIGHT]

[CENTER]Agreed... "to each their own"

(though it really is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things)

I (typically) find your post enjoyable and informative, so what's your take on Apple's 'Newest Creation' and its possible impact on printed media?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 172 of 208
    Quote:

Hmm, I shall have to give that a try then. Thanks.
  • Reply 173 of 208
    Quote:

Steve Jobs is going to be pissed with the McGraw-Hill CEO...He let the cat of the bag on live television! I couldn't believe my ears. So the iphone 4.0 software is what this thing will be running.

[CENTER]...or more like Apple Mobile OS 4.0

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 174 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]...or more like Apple Mobile OS 4.0

[/CENTER]

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1396376379

Video of the McGraw-Hill CEO. says it is iphone based.
  • Reply 175 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hundo View Post

Hmm, I shall have to give that a try then. Thanks.

no problem, and you find a better way let me know
  • Reply 176 of 208
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're claiming that Ffmegx can remove FairPlay DRM from Apple's iTS videos? If so, please calrify because I can neither get it to work to find info explaining how to do it.
  • Reply 177 of 208
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    I don't know if this was posted somewhere else?

http://gizmodo.com/5457588/mcgraw+hi...phone+style-os
  • Reply 178 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t say I?m surprised, per say, but on the surface they do appear to be making a mistake. I don?t think they get that much per user through a cable company.

I think you mean "per se".
  • Reply 179 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're claiming that Ffmegx can remove FairPlay DRM from Apple's iTS videos? If so, please calrify because I can neither get it to work to find info explaining how to do it.

You were right, I thought wrong.

I'll do some quick searching...............

tunebite now can convert itunes videos m4v to mp4 and m4v to wmv.

So can SoundTaxi Pro+VideoRip

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
  • Reply 180 of 208
    Quote:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1396376379

Video of the McGraw-Hill CEO. says it is iphone based.

[CENTER]Right there at the 2:55 mark[/CENTER]