Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Try telling that to Apple. Video downloads, whether tv or movie, are significant part of iTunes.

Right or wrong, that is why apple wants to sell you the apple tv. It is the apple tv, not the tablet, that depends on the quality and quantity of the content (shows and movies) available to it.

The app store is where the tablet will reside and flourish.
  • Reply 142 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

This is what I mean by free tv online. Sure you can bittorent a show but watching it free online means a few :30 & :15 second ads. Much better then the 17 minutes of ads if you watched it the date it airs. Still, unlike the iPhone, I really hope we are not locked into iTunes only. Not sure about everyone else here but this on supposedly image had like 75 iPhone icons. Very busy and cluttered. But you're correct in that ad agencies would a lot of money.

Give us os x lite not a giant iPod.

Mobile OS is OS X Lite. I'm going to guess that on Apple's campus there is more than a few variations of OS X. You see windows limits there desktop systems to charge you more for, well, more. Apple takes the ONE system they have, OS X, and tailor it to the device it's going to run on. There is a file-system on the iPhone, just no finder. There's a reason Apple wants all code to be done in Cocoa ON THE MAC. The touch interface is built on Cocoa. The more that OS X is Cocoa, the more features can be ported over. But, touch UI requires a different way of manipulation, so of coarse it's going to LOOK different. Under the hood it's just a Lexus with a V6 instead of a V8.
  • Reply 143 of 208
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Surely you're joking. There is not one person here that is not bothered by your ridiculous over use of the space you're provided. It's really unimaginable that you're allowed to do this repeatedly.

[CENTER]Lol...

I sincerely hope that you realize the absolute idiocy (and off-topic nature) of your childish comment(s), as the justification of a line of text has no bearing whatsoever on anything related to the space it occupies.

Here, I'll help you (and your mindless minions) stay focused - So How About That Apple Intro Tomorrow?

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 144 of 208
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

Is anybody surprised by the short sightedness of the TV execs? Greedy and stupid as usual. If they won't give me a legal subscription option, I'll continue on with my own "subscription" option which I've created via torrents and rapidshare. I get the benefits of no commercials and the price is nice.

Stupid execs pass up the opportunity to earn a few bucks...instead they'll get zero from most people like me.

Well if you can torrent and rapid share then you can stream video with any codec. Lock it down to iTunes and no OS for torrent would mean no streaming except iTunes and then I see this as the next Apple TV. A hobby.

I hope not.
  • Reply 145 of 208
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Typographic troll is typographic.
  • Reply 146 of 208
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Mobile OS is OS X Lite. I'm going to guess that on Apple's campus there is more than a few variations of OS X. You see windows limits there desktop systems to charge you more for, well, more. Apple takes the ONE system they have, OS X, and tailor it to the device it's going to run on. There is a file-system on the iPhone, just no finder. There's a reason Apple wants all code to be done in Cocoa ON THE MAC. The touch interface is built on Cocoa. The more that OS X is Cocoa, the more features can be ported over. But, touch UI requires a different way of manipulation, so of coarse it's going to LOOK different. Under the hood it's just a Lexus with a V6 instead of a V8.

I wonder why they picked the smaller room for tomorrow.
  • Reply 147 of 208
    If you want TV on your phone, go to WalMart pick out a free phone from Verizon, etc, and pay the $10 a month fee, it is really that simple, and a lot of people do that. You don't need an iPhone or even Windows Mobile based phone. You can subscribe to either Live TV or even TV on demand content, and it works "reasonably" well even in non 3G areas, and is quite nice in 3G areas.
  • Reply 148 of 208
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkra View Post

I've searched around and noone seems to have mentioned these 2 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZZG5ytY-Rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8z4UVgI7Qs

They are more than likely fakes, but are certainly impressive enough to deserve a mention.

Which is to say, I'd totally buy that :P

For some reason these keep getting posted, each time with assurances that we hadn't seen them before. Maybe we need a sticky.

Broadly acknowledged to be fakes.
  • Reply 149 of 208
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    just found my very use for ignore list! sweet feature
  • Reply 150 of 208
    Quote:

just found my very use for ignore list! sweet feature

I'd rather be an ass and report them multiple times a day. I like to also cite other posters dislike of it also. It makes for a good argument.

I will say though, although it is technically possible, it is quite rude.
  • Reply 151 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Typographic troll is typographic.

[CENTER]As a complete lack of originality is still unoriginal...

Hint: you really need some new material as your cyber-superiority schtick is pretty old/tired.

Let's hope that Apple's 'New Creation' reflects more imagination than those frequenting this space.

Somehow I think it (thankfully) will.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 152 of 208
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I'd rather be an ass and report them multiple times a day. I like to also cite other posters dislike of it also. It makes for a good argument.

I'm not here to argue, so someone who's posting style is basically a billboard for "dislike me" is easily something I can pass over without ever knowing what he/she said.
  • Reply 153 of 208
    maybe he just learned how to code html and is working his way up to putting frames in his post window.
  • Reply 154 of 208
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I see it as being a new product with 100,000+ apps to choose from on day one.

No way, they'd be deemed too cheap for a 10" screened revolutionary device by Apple. No, the device will ship in May or June so they can finalize the content deals, fix up the FFC approval jargon and let devs work on new Apps for the devices release then, to give them a good head start before the device ships.

That's just the way it's going to be.
  • Reply 155 of 208
    Quote:

[CENTER]Report Them for what... Posting something with which you disagree, or using typographical justification that you don't like? LOL!

Maybe you should be reported for constantly posting irrelevant items completely 'off-topic', harassment, being rude, being hostile, name-calling, disrupting topic-flow, etc.

Let's just hope that Apple's 'New Creation' is more amiable/friendly than many of our forum members.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 156 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Report Them for what... Posting something with which you disagree, or using typographical justification that you don't like? LOL!

Maybe you should be reported for constantly posting irrelevant items completely 'off-topic', being rude, being hostile, name-calling, disrupting topic-flow, etc.

Let's just hope that Apple's 'New Creation' is more amiable/friendly than many of our forum members.

The burden of proof is on you my friend. Who ever said anything regarding your name and a report?

I like semantics. As I never called anybody names, I have only questioned them or compared them to a likeness.
  • Reply 157 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No way, they'd be deemed too cheap for a 10" screened revolutionary device by Apple. No, the device will ship in May or June so they can finalize the content deals, fix up the FFC approval jargon and let devs work on new Apps for the devices release then, to give them a good head start before the device ships.

That's just the way it's going to be.

[CENTER]Exactly![/CENTER]
  • Reply 158 of 208
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

This is probably where the excitement and big-sell will come from - many of the vast number of iPhone apps, while being revolutionary utilities as stand-alone programs, will likely have their usefulness, capability and fun factor multiplied by running in a more powerful multi-tasking environment which the Tablet is likely to provide, leading to a new class: App Suites.

No. multi-tasking will be accomplished on the next iPhone, multitasking for iPhone apps that is. iPhone apps on a tablet do not make any sense. You can't merely put iPhone app on the tablet, the UI will be a different thing, completely.
  • Reply 159 of 208
    Quote:

No. multi-tasking will be accomplished on the next iPhone, multitasking for iPhone apps that is. iPhone apps on a tablet do not make any sense. You can't merely put iPhone app on the tablet, the UI will be a different thing, completely.

It will run them. Weather or not you want to is another question.
  • Reply 160 of 208
    Quote:

[CENTER]I understand your position, but I'm more inclined to believe that the iPad will be compatible with the vast majority of existing Apple Mobile OS/iPhone/Touch apps, as it affords current iPhone/Touch users a degree of familiarity with the device almost immediately.

Some aspects will be 'all new', like the reader portion, but much of it will probably be a slight variation on what Apple has already built.

We'll See...[/CENTER]