Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 141 of 507
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I really think you're worrying too much here. We're going to see more info coming out over time. Give it a break.

He's not seriously worrying. He's a troll.
  • Reply 142 of 507
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBreen View Post

Don't be too sure, since essentially no one has ever used iWork on the iPad. Don't forget Apple's iwork.com beta for sharing documents. That could definitely end up being tied to iWork for the iPad and a user's MobileMe and/or iTunes account.

Doubtful it will be 'tied' to it. I imagine it will be an option.
  • Reply 143 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You have been all over the forums dissing the whole concept.

I don't get it. They claim to hate the product, yet they can't stop talking about it. I'm thinking Tripper hasn't logged off since Wednesday.

Some of you guys are taking this a little too serious - it's just a computer. Tripper and thartist seem like the kind of guys who would try to beat you up if they saw you using an iPad.
  • Reply 144 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Yup. That is the issue. I think everyone is trying to wrap their head around what this product's purpose in life is. And it's trying to cover ALL of the media bases. So there are a lot of compromises. As you've outlined. I think the other problem with the iPad is that no one NEEDS one. No one NEEDS an iPad. Everyone needs a computer and a phone. No one needs an iPad. Still... it is a very interesting device. And the app-centric concept is intriguing too... from a usability point of view. It will be fascinating to see how it evolves.

Why does everyone need a computer, where by computer I assume you mean one that runs OS X, Windows, or Linux?

If I use my computer to surf the web, buy and read books, buy and listen to music/movies, send emails and IM, store and view photos, maintain a calendar, run well-crafted apps to buy/sell stuff or play games or write short documents or create presentations or tables or charts, why do I need an OS X, Windows or Linux-based computer? Seriously, why?
  • Reply 145 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What I want to know is whether this is going to be booked to cash or accrued revenue and whether Apple''s going to invoke some magical and wonderful GAAP faux-explanation to charge me $x every three months when the underlying OS is upgraded.

Otherwise, I'm good to go.

It's being booked to cash. Remember that this has been changed in the regulations. Besides, you're being fatuous, Apple never charged every three months.
  • Reply 146 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

I screen write on my iPhone. There's an app for that. It's pretty darn good too. But you might want to go back to legal notepads. Way cheaper. :-)

Seriously though, I would wait for a Slate device. Imagine beings able to do ALL of what you need above, and have a device in which you can make modifications to the actual content using native creative apps that you use on your pc and beam it to the cloud for instant collaboration!

I think it's great that you write your scripts on your iPhone. Unfortunately, being a touch typist of around 100 words a minute and needing Final Draft for my screenwriting (as it's the industry standard in Hollywood), I need something that is larger than that and has a full keyboard. If they ever brought Final Draft to the iPad I might try to use it with a full keyboard dock. I might work on my latest novel on it (with the keyboard again, until I can find out if the virtual keyboard will work for me), but really, as I've said, that's not what I was going to use the iPad for.

As a person who makes their living writing scripts and novels (unless I'm directing), I need large screens and full keyboards. So, for writing, it's either my double monitor'd desktop machine or a MBP. The slate would do too much with less efficiency for what I want it to do on set, and yet not be enough (without the extra keyboard) for what I need if I were using it to write with. Again, I'm not looking to write scripts on the iPad, only use it as a very lightweight tool for script reading and annotation, storyboard referral, looking at pics from my department heads, etc. Again, you probably don't have to work on set, so you're unaware of what I'm actually talking about. Thank you though for the ideas (and I did look at box.net, but it's similar to some things I already use, but it seems good for what it's good for).

And instant collaboration for what I do is not what it's cracked up to be.
  • Reply 147 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom1 View Post

If I delete the application, the files are deleted too? So if a file can be opened with more than one app, and I delete the app, the files are deleted? If I need to reinstall a program, the files are deleted? This sounds scary. Wow, if I create something in iWork and an iPad version of MSOffice is created, I can't delete iWork without losing my documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Wow! I hope this isn't the case.

it'll delete everything but the documents folder in the subdirectory of the app itself don't worry.
  • Reply 148 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themeperks View Post

This works well for a small number of documents, as on the iPhone, but it becomes a problem when working on, say , a project, where it might be desirable to keep all the different document types for the project grouped together. With a conventional file structure it's easy, when the project is done, to archive all the related documents and remove them.

Surely they aren't that ignorant they will make easy to navigate groups.
  • Reply 149 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

So if I receive a word/pages document in the Mail app how do I open it in Pages on iPad? Will the Pages app not see the file because it's in the Mail filesystem, and not the iWork one?

Either the file will open the iwork app automatically or you will have a clickable download to (insert app name) link as you do in your current mail program, only difference is that it will be directly linked to the app rather than your downloads folder.
  • Reply 150 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't get it. They claim to hate the product, yet they can't stop talking about it. I'm thinking Tripper hasn't logged off since Wednesday.

Some of you guys are taking this a little too serious - it's just a computer. Tripper and thartist seem like the kind of guys who would try to beat you up if they saw you using an iPad.

I'm not taking this seriously at all. The device is clearly an overpriced 64 gig, 1 ghz brick of a machine that will sell on amazon in a year for a $100.00. I was laughing at people when they purchased Windows ME and the Shuffle. And I will laugh again when someone is walking around with an iPad that has NO finder.
  • Reply 151 of 507
    Quote:

EXACTLY! The iPhone OS is the FUTURE of all Apple computers. Steve Jobs is saying that everybody's kid is stupid and dull. They aren't organized, nor can they handle simple file operations like Open and Save (even though they seem to upload FLICKR and Facebook pictures just fine).

I think the question of who is stupid and dull is not one you can address.

Your lack of imagination is astounding.

You're not here to discuss this. You're just here to knock it.
  • Reply 152 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What it is Steve Jobs creative project.

It's more or less going to go in the direction of the reason why most people buy it, a device looking for a market basically.

After reading the article I get the impression it's UI isn't very well thought out. I've noticed there is a bit of confusion concerning things, as if it's really a piece of animated art.

Some programs I have used over the years were like this, the UI changes nearly every screen and you have to learn a lot in order to get things done. This is going to pain people using this type of UI.

I can't begin to state how dumb I think it is that deleting a app deletes all the files you have with it.

For instance lets say you upgrade to another photo managing software, one that's better. Well you go delete the old one to make room for the new, and all your previous precious photos are gone!

How dumb is that? It's really really dumb.

Not only that, just when OS X UI was getting it's foot established, Apple goes and introduces a new UI with the iPad, the future of all Apple's computers.

Not only that, we are surely due for ANOTHER processor switch now, it's obvious as all heck.

There are allot of Apps that already synch without itunes to servers & desktops. Generally those developers that have clients with data to back up they provide a method. Photos, drawings, sales records, it's already there. In your photo example. Most photo Apps use the Iphone library. So no your photos won't be removed with the App. If the app does not save photos to the default library then yes the photos would be deleted, if the developer did not provide another way of "backing up" or synchronizing the data.
  • Reply 153 of 507
    Quote:

What more can it do than an iTouch? I missed that one.

You've missed a lot.

Why don't you go out and read something about this? You're ignoring the information others have given about files and other aspects. You seem to be ignoring any statement that you don't agree with.
  • Reply 154 of 507
    Quote:

I screen write on my iPhone. There's an app for that. It's pretty darn good too. But you might want to go back to legal notepads. Way cheaper. :-)

Seriously though, I would wait for a Slate device. Imagine beings able to do ALL of what you need above, and have a device in which you can make modifications to the actual content using native creative apps that you use on your pc and beam it to the cloud for instant collaboration!

I can't wait to run Painter on a Slate device. W00t!

Your response didn't explain why mzaslove couldn't use the iPad to do it? Why wait for a Slate? You should read this: http://joehewitt.com/post/ipad/

The iPad can run Keynote (like Powerpoint) and Numbers (like Excel) and Brushes (painting). Why wouldn't it be able to run an app for screen-writing?

As it is, at launch, it will be able to run 140K apps, and likely 5000 more specifically for iPad. I'd bet there's at least 50K apps specifically for iPad by Christmas, as at least half the iPhone publishers (that's 15k) are likely thinking about how to adapt their iPhone app for use with all the extra display and speed.
  • Reply 155 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

He's not seriously worrying. He's a troll.

I'm beginning to think so.
  • Reply 156 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

And I will laugh again when someone is walking around with an iPad that has NO finder.

The iPad has no finder?
  • Reply 157 of 507
    Quote:

I screen write on my iPhone (of course you do). There's an app for that. It's pretty darn good (and it is?) too. But you might want to go back to legal notepads. Way cheaper. :-)

Seriously though, I would wait for a Slate device. Imagine beings able to do ALL of what you need above (we 'beings' are very imaginative), and have a device in which you can make modifications to the actual content using native creative apps that you use on your pc and beam it to the cloud (way to go Scotty) for instant collaboration!

I can't wait to run Painter on a Slate device. W00t! (excitable, are we?)

Who are you really?

C'mon - I'm sure at least 2 or 1 of us are desperate to know - please
  • Reply 158 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I think it's great that you write your scripts on your iPhone. Unfortunately, being a touch typist of around 100 words a minute and needing Final Draft for my screenwriting (as it's the industry standard in Hollywood), I need something that is larger than that and has a full keyboard. If they ever brought Final Draft to the iPad I might try to use it with a full keyboard dock. I might work on my latest novel on it (with the keyboard again, until I can find out if the virtual keyboard will work for me), but really, as I've said, that's not what I was going to use the iPad for.

As a person who makes their living writing scripts and novels (unless I'm directing), I need large screens and full keyboards. So, for writing, it's either my double monitor'd desktop machine or a MBP. The slate would do too much with less efficiency for what I want it to do on set, and yet not be enough (without the extra keyboard) for what I need if I were using it to write with. Again, I'm not looking to write scripts on the iPad, only use it as a very lightweight tool for script reading and annotation, storyboard referral, looking at pics from my department heads, etc. Again, you probably don't have to work on set, so you're unaware of what I'm actually talking about. Thank you though for the ideas (and I did look at box.net, but it's similar to some things I already use, but it seems good for what it's good for).

And instant collaboration for what I do is not what it's cracked up to be.

The app exports to Final Draft, but I use ScreenWriter 6. Final Draft crashes too much on Apple machines. The app also exports straight to a txt file which is already formatted if you currently are currently using netbooks that do not have a license.

Just FYI about the slate. It doesn't have a keyboard. And if you have used a WACOM tablet before, there is already a keyboard for you to use ON screen just like this Apple device. But hey, if you want an Apple device, go Apple.

No, I don't work on set. I don't need to. I create comics which have far less overhead. ;-P
  • Reply 159 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Who are you really?

C'mon - I'm sure at least 2 or 1 of us are desperate to know - please

I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. :-P

The app is ScreenPlay. I can screen write while driving in the car (that is until the federal government or Apple rule the app to be illegal).
  • Reply 160 of 507
    Quote:

I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. :-P

The app is ScreenPlay. I can screen write while driving in the car (that is until the federal government or Apple rule the app to be illegal).

Hey man - way to go - Don't tell Mel, but I was trolling

Great effort in not taking the bait - More power to ya