Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 161 of 507
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

EXACTLY! The iPhone OS is the FUTURE of all Apple computers. Steve Jobs is saying that everybody's kid is stupid and dull. They aren't organized, nor can they handle simple file operations like Open and Save (even though they seem to upload FLICKR and Facebook pictures just fine).

Why is the iPhone OS the future of all Apple computers? Didn't you see the slide with three platforms? - iPhone. iPad. Mac. Did you even watch the event? Like the Mac GUI and iPhone GUI were paradigm shifts for desktop computers and smartphones, the iPad GUI and product size is a paradigm shift for a lower-powered more mobile computer for whole classes of people that have been ignored and neglected by computer/OS/software companies for decades.

Why bother with nonproductive extraneous computerese actions when one doesn't need to? Only the stupid and dull want to waste their lives doing that. Most people just want to upload FLICKR and Facebook pictures without all the extra steps.

Again, since you mentioned Facebook, you really should read: http://joehewitt.com/post/ipad

He's certainly no Apple fanboy but he fully gets what the iPad is all about. If other developers have the same response (and we're hearing lots of similar cases), new software innovation will be happening on the iPad, not on the PC or the Mac. By the way, how much user-impacting innovation has there really been on the PC in the last 9 years?
  • Reply 162 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Ok, great; but just how do you propose tagging the files and, more importantly, viewing the collection of files you tagged with that project? You'd need an app to allow you to identify the files you want to tag and then view the related files the way you've organized them.

Guess what, you just reinvented the Finder, the Mac's file management application. Granted, you may not be navigating according to the actual file structure of the operating system, but you've still created a virtual file structure the user needs to be able to navigate.

This new file management system will work fine when you have a relatively small number of file types and limited interaction between apps (what would you break if you deleted an app and all it's related documents and other apps were referencing those documents?).

Files could be tagged at the time of creation. Files included into said project file such as an image in Pages could have automatic tags added at the time of usage. Granted there are a lot of things to work out and multi-tasking is almost a pre-requisite for auto tagging to work with different file types, but it could be possible.

Spotlight, not the Finder, becomes the way to look at these files that have been tagged. It's a different way to think. I don't think Spotlight has ever been just about search. Anyway, just my two cents.
  • Reply 163 of 507
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    This just? sucks. And if you can?t tag them or name them, it sucks even further.It?s like saying that on the PC, every single Microsoft Word document you ever create, be it personal or for whatever project, is going to be stuffed into one single humongous Microsoft Word folder with every other Microsoft Word file you?ve ever created. Same for Excel files. And same for? you get the idea.

No organization at all. None.

Really, it?s as bad as the lame ?bookshelf? metaphor in the iBooks app. Steve says that even a 16GB baseline iPad will let you carry ?thousands? of ebooks.

Cool. But now picture this: You take him at his word, and you?ve now purchased thousands of ebooks and downloaded them to your iPad? only to find all of them stuffed at random onto dozens upon dozens upon dozens of seemingly identical virtual shelves.

Check out photos of the interface. There?s no apparent way to sort by title or author. No way to group those thousands of books by author or subject or genre. No Dewey Decimal System. No way to keep related books (or documents) together. You can probably quit the app and do a spotlight search? if you remember at least part of the title.

Otherwise it?s page, page, page, swipe, swipe, swipe, bitch, bitch, bitch. ?Where in the hell is that book on??

Heck, I have a mere fifty books in the Kindle app on my iPhone, and the lack of organizational tools there is ALREADY driving me insane.

Come on. This is progress? This the reinvention we?re looking for?

Even the ancient floppy disk, thirty years old, had folders for grouping related files. Take away the ability to create user-defined organizational schemas, and even something as storage poor as a 128K floppy disk rapidly becomes little more than a mess of intermingled files with cryptic file names.

128K. And the biggest iPad is 64? gigabytes.

Even the venerable iPhoto is starting to show just how unworkable it is to only have a single ?library? of photos. It wasn?t too bad when it first appeared and it only had to manage a few photos, but people have been stuffing their libraries with photos for years now. Outings. Vacations. Birthdays. Anniversaries. Graduations. Day trips. Hiking photos, skiing photos, party photos?

And iPhoto is bursting at the seams. Without multiple libraries, there?s no good way to keep work photos from personal photos. No good way to archive seconds and rejects. No easy way to separate photos by years or even decades. No obvious way to manage things when the hard disk containing your one and only photo library begins to fill up to the brim.

Paradoxically, by reducing ?complexity?, by leaving behind the ?jumbled? file system, they?ve made things that much harder for us all.

Of course, in the demo, Apple showed Keynote for the iPad with three previously created documents, and now that I think about it, didn?t Pages have just three documents shown as full sized full screen ?icons? that the user paged through?

Maybe that?s the secret.

Never use the iPad to make more than three of anything, and you?ll do just fine?
  • Reply 164 of 507
    delete
  • Reply 165 of 507
    Quote:

The app exports to Final Draft, but I use ScreenWriter 6. Final Draft crashes too much on Apple machines. The app also exports straight to a txt file which is already formatted if you currently are currently using netbooks that do not have a license.

Just FYI about the slate. It doesn't have a keyboard. And if you have used a WACOM tablet before, there is already a keyboard for you to use ON screen just like this Apple device. But hey, if you want an Apple device, go Apple.

No, I don't work on set. I don't need to. I create comics which have far less overhead. ;-P

Weird, I've never had a crash on my MBP in Final Draft. Ever. And I've done, lemme see, five feature scripts on it (my latest MBP that is), and 27 TV scripts (that's in the last 1 1/2 years). Weird.

Does it export to Final Draft format, hopefully (.fdr)? That's the key. Can't use .txt or even .rtf (as no one wants that format).

I understand a slate/tablet computer has no keyboard. I'm saying I don't need it for writing a script on.

What comics do you do? Many of my friends are comic book artists and comic creators, as well as artists I've worked with on many animated shows and features. Perhaps I know your work.
  • Reply 166 of 507
    Quote:

Sorry. I guess I'm not used to such restrictions.

He said guidelines and you re-characterize them as restrictions. Do you note more than a semantic difference in play here that places your comments in conflict with others'.
  • Reply 167 of 507
    Quote:

True, but notice the FREEDOM you had to install another OS, to test out other applications,etc? I can tell you that the iPad will not handle a one-tenth of what a Slate device will be able to handle due to its 1ghz processor. MIght run X-com though. OOOO. Can I install Steam on the iPad? Wait. I can't. The iPAD is sandboxed. :-(

Stop hiding behind an abstract notion of nerdly "freedom". You beleaguered point is argued like a politician at war. We get you want to be "FREE!"

First of all, if you're as old as you claim, you should remember all of the wonderful things we were able to do with 1ghz desktops. I don't remember any of my 1ghz machines having problems with email, word processing, multitasking etc.

You're saying that, just as we are able squeeze a 1GHZ chip into a tablet and make it affordable it's not enough for the more common lighter tasks a computer does?

Further, what do you mean by a slate device? The current "slates" by companies like HP? Not a chance is the Ipad less capable than those devices and certainly not less capable than any netbook I've seen.

You're attempting to argue that it would be better to have the "freedom" to run a desktop OS on a mobile device and to be "free" to install whatever App you want, regardless of whether or not the OS or Apps are optimized for a more agile and accessible mobile device ? Well , if you believe that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Do you work for MSFT?

LOL Troll elsewhere and check in with us in about a year and we'll see who's happier. I Just wanted to add that I found it hilarious that you first claimed to be a screen writer, but then you clarified that you don't actually work on set, but work in comics??????
  • Reply 168 of 507
    Quote:

1. Because you have the freedom to hack other computers if you would like to.

2. Because sometimes Apple doesn't GET IT RIGHT.

3. Because games during the golden age are clearly better than the buggy crap EA puts out now.

4. I had a sandbox too.

I can't hack with an iPad. I can't run Wireshark with an iPad. I can't play quality strategy games with an iPad (just imagine how big games are going to be that take full advantage of the screen resolution!)

Those good reasons to hate the iPad

Big games require a full PC or laptop, can you play 'BIG' games on a netbook, very much doubt it, but Steve Jobs should provide laptop hidden in tablet struture and damage is revenue stream from iMacs or Macbook Pros.

I see this thread has crazies out again!
  • Reply 169 of 507
    ............... and this just in ........................

"4 hours ago

We can also confirm that iPhone OS 3.2 supports file downloads and local storage in the browser, which means you'll be able to pull files off the web and use them in other apps, and there's at least the beginnings of SMS support buried within the code"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/c...ling-file-dow/
  • Reply 170 of 507

"P.S.- chpwn was also able to port iPhone multitasking hacks ProSwitcher and Backgrounder to the iPad simulator, which is certainly going to be useful if an iPad jailbreak exploit is eventually discovered. Check out a shot of it going in the gallery below, along with some other settings panels the coder dug up."

and more for the "IT DOESN"T MULTITASK!" crowd.......... BTW who cares? - OK I care a little bit

"That means you'll be able to chat and do other things at the same time, which could mean there's at least some type of multitasking going on here."
  • Reply 171 of 507
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

This just… sucks. And if you can’t tag them or name them, it sucks even further.It’s like saying that on the PC, every single Microsoft Word document you ever create, be it personal or for whatever project, is going to be stuffed into one single humongous Microsoft Word folder with every other Microsoft Word file you’ve ever created. Same for Excel files. And same for… you get the idea.

Yes but I don't think it's intended as a standalone device. Your Mac or PC is still your hub, with everything organised on there and safely Time Machined, and you just sync to the iPad the files you're working on today, or this week.

Edit: I actually think Prince is wrong to interpret this as a grand scheme to do away with the filesystem. It is just a reflection of the iPad's role as a sync device. And Prince has done articles in the past on Apple's idea of PC-as-hub so I don't know why he doesn't see it this way.
  • Reply 172 of 507
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

............... and this just in ........................

"4 hours ago

We can also confirm that iPhone OS 3.2 supports file downloads and local storage in the browser, which means you'll be able to pull files off the web and use them in other apps, and there's at least the beginnings of SMS support buried within the code"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/c...ling-file-dow/

SMS support on a phone? No way!
  • Reply 173 of 507
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

SMS support on a phone? No way!

Would I lie to you?

ummmm BTW Engadget is talking about the iPad - SMS AND Video calling
  • Reply 174 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stumbleone View Post

This mangles the concept of “projects.” When I’m doing video work I’ll have files from a variety of applications collocated in a centralized directory: DV/AVCHD/mov video; FCE/FCP sequences; jpg/TIF/PSD images; PDF; AIFF/MP3 audio; etc.

Now I realize that the iPad does not currently support video creation at all. But other kinds of projects can also require files from various apps.

I don’t see how the app=file type library or file system can make this work. So is the iPad truly not to be compatible with or usable for content creation, and is just to be a viewer? Maybe so. Have to think about that.

Other than iPhone/iPod touch-level creative apps, iPad seems to be aimed at consuming, rather than producing content.
  • Reply 175 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franco Borgo View Post

I agree, after a while you let iTunes and iPhoto organize your file, but let's say I have 64GB of iBooks or simple text file on my iPad, using the bookshelf might not be the fastest route to select a book.

I guessing but I think Apple and most of its consumers who buy the iPad see it only as a mobile device. It's not positioned to be the only place you keep your files. As when the iPod first was introduced, you added the playlist etc that you were planning to use.

Yes many people could put their entire music collection on the iPod but that wasn't its intended use. The iPad has limited storage for everything it can do. I doubt its meant to be your computer. I can see desktop Macs or laptops with iLife type programs syncing with their iPad mobile counterparts. Just like iTunes does with iPhones and iPods. That's probably why they don't have a USB port.

As for the graphic interface of iBooks they may have view options but iPhoto managed to works with a lot of images. As icons they aren't too power hungry. As Steve said, it's not a laptop or an iPhone/iPod touch, it's something to fill the product gap between them.
  • Reply 176 of 507
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Other than simple creative apps, iPad seems to be aimed at consuming, rather than producing content.

Maybe - but naturally Steve disagrees - he said as much to Mossberg in an off-the-cuff interview at the 'EVENT'.

When told that his (Mossberg's) Editor only read Word docs, 'no problem' said Steve, "write it up in Pages (on your new iPad), export as a 'doc' and email it to him"

Steve-baby wants us to create 'content'. (bless his little creative heart)

I'd post a link - but it's 'FLASH' video
  • Reply 177 of 507
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    This makes so much sense that I'm surprised it hasn't been done long ago. My guess is that Apple didn't want to over-simplify Mac OS X, since many advanced users are already very familiar with the FInder, files, folders, etc.

But to really crack the consumer market, simpler is always better. Lots of whiners are saying that iPad is too simple. I disagree. If it's too simple, just buy a MacBook or iMacs or Mac mini or Mac Pro.

There's a huge untapped market of people who have either avoided buying a computer altogether, because it was too complex or overkill for browsing an email, or who have bought one and can't stand its 1980s office-productivity desktop metaphor.

I think Apple will take two huge chunks out of the netbook market. The first chunk will be market share: at $499, iPad will be within reach of casual consumer users who were thinking about buying a stripped down netbook. Burdened with the irrelevant complexity of a that clunky full blown OS.

The second chunk will be profitability. That same $499 for the low end model will squeeze the netbook makers to lower their prices. They're already at the proverbial "razor thin profit" level already, so they'll be pushing each other off that low-price cliff like it's going out of style.

So the cheapo e-waste netbook makers will be losing market share and forced to accept lower margins. They'll still need to sell netbooks because they're so popular. And the bigger companies will also need to spend R & D money on developing their own iPad clones. That means hardware + software at the very minimum. Another hit to the bottom line.

What they'll never be able to do, no matter how much money they throw at the problem, is to replicate the success of iTunes. The breadth, depth, and ease of use took Apple at least 8 years to develop. It's the reason why the iPod became so successful.

And then there's the App Store. 140K+ apps, most of which will run on iPad. Each one of those apps was written for iPhone/iPod touch, and each developer who has an app will be scrambling to write an iPad version.

And now there's the iBook Store. Apple has so much leverage in popular culture now that the book publishers have no choice but to ride Apple's coattails. The newspaper and magazine publishers, as we keep hearing, are so desperate that they're probably looking at iPad like it's the Messiah. It could be their last hope.

All of these relationships took Apple years to develop. Apple had to build mindshare and leverage before lots of the bigger companies would even pay attention to them. Now they're jumping through hoops to work with Apple.

And, finally, the iPad will fit perfectly into Apple's ecosystem. It will not only appeal to casual first-time Apple customers. It'll work seamlessly with any existing Apple network. This kind of interoperability also took years of planning and development.

Good luck trying to copy that before next year's CES. 11 months and counting...
  • Reply 178 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

This just? sucks. And if you can?t tag them or name them, it sucks even further.It?s like saying that on the PC, every single Microsoft Word document you ever create, be it personal or for whatever project, is going to be stuffed into one single humongous Microsoft Word folder with every other Microsoft Word file you?ve ever created. Same for Excel files. And same for? you get the idea.

Really, it?s as bad as the lame ?bookshelf? metaphor in the iBooks app. Steve says that even a 16GB baseline iPad will let you carry ?thousands? of ebooks.

Cool. But now picture this: You take him at his word, and you?ve now purchased thousands of ebooks and downloaded them to your iPad? only to find all of them stuffed at random onto dozens upon dozens upon dozens of seemingly identical virtual shelves.

Check out photos of the interface. There?s no apparent way to sort by title or author. No way to group those thousands of books by author or subject or genre. No Dewey Decimal System. No way to keep related books (or documents) together. You can probably quit the app and do a spotlight search? if you remember at least part of the title.

Otherwise it?s page, page, page, swipe, swipe, swipe, bitch, bitch, bitch. ?Where in the hell is that book on??

Heck, I have a mere fifty books in the Kindle app on my iPhone, and the lack of organizational tools there is ALREADY driving me insane.

Come on. This is progress? This the reinvention we?re looking for?

Even the ancient floppy disk, thirty years old, had folders for grouping related files. Take away the ability to create user-defined organizational schemas, and even something as storage poor as a 128K floppy disk rapidly becomes little more than a mess of intermingled files with cryptic file names.

128K. And the biggest iPad is 64? gigabytes.

Even the venerable iPhoto is starting to show just how unworkable it is to only have a single ?library? of photos. It wasn?t too bad when it first appeared and it only had to manage a few photos, but people have been stuffing their libraries with photos for years now. Outings. Vacations. Birthdays. Anniversaries. Graduations. Day trips. Hiking photos, skiing photos, party photos?

And iPhoto is bursting at the seams. Without multiple libraries, there?s no good way to keep work photos from personal photos. No good way to archive seconds and rejects. No easy way to separate photos by years or even decades. No obvious way to manage things when the hard disk containing your one and only photo library begins to fill up to the brim.

Paradoxically, by reducing ?complexity?, by leaving behind the ?jumbled? file system, they?ve made things that much harder for us all.

Of course, in the demo, Apple showed Keynote for the iPad with three previously created documents, and now that I think about it, didn?t Pages have just three documents shown as full sized full screen ?icons? that the user paged through?

Maybe that?s the secret.

Never use the iPad to make more than three of anything, and you?ll do just fine?

You're exaggerating. Right now, most people keep all their documents, no matter what OS or programs they may be using, in one folder, called "documents". The important thing is in finding them, which doesn't seem as though it will be a problem.

We also don't know how the book program will work. What we saw on the screen isn't necessarily how it works. I would also imagine that if you're looking for a specific book, you would type part of the name in Spotlight, and it would show up.

64 GB Flash now, 128 next year. So, for that, wait until next year, and you'll also get OS 5 vs 3.2 now, and 4.0 later in june.

You, like a few others here, are assuming that nothing advances.
  • Reply 179 of 507
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's being booked to cash. Remember that this has been changed in the regulations. Besides, you're being fatuous, Apple never charged every three months.

You might say it was a literary device. It's a touchy subject, I know, but given the clear desire for this to be an appliance which just, DOES (vacant stare),

is that approach consistent with charging end-users for updates to its core. I don't mean to bring up MS, but even MS provide updates, and significant ones, at no extra cost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're exaggerating. Right now, most people keep all their documents, no matter what OS or programs they may be using, in one folder, called "documents". The important thing is in finding them, which doesn't seem as though it will be a problem.

I would say that nearly all people keep their documents in a folder called documents. But I think that's a little simplistic. Nearly everyone I know has some kind of organisation system within that documents folder to provide some context. For most, it's a folder structure. Some might code file names in a way. Rarely have I found that people merely dump everything flat into one folder. I would be inclined to agree more with the person to whom you responded to than simply dismiss the idea that the people who create their own content must in some small way be responsible for its categorisation.
  • Reply 180 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBreen View Post

MobileMe has been around (under other names) for years. I've been a member since Feb 23, 2000 according to my System Preference panel for MobileMe.

Typically applications that store things using your MobileMe account use the "iDisk" feature to do so. The iDisk mounts as a network volume under both MacOS and Windows, so you can download/edit/upload files at any time. On the Mac, there's a preference to always sync your iDisk to your computer whenever you're connected to the Internet (though I don't bother with it).

*However,* if your MobileMe account expires, your files *are* deleted rather than being held "hostage" until/unless you renew. (To stretch the analogy, the hostages are killed when the time expires. ;o) There is an option to auto-renew, billing the renewal to your credit card, but if you think you may not be renewing it's definitely important to download anything you want to keep (and you CAN download everything) before your subscription expires.

I hope that helps!

Thanks. Good explanation.