App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The number of new projects started for the App Store nearly tripled in January, as the month was dominated by hype for and the announcement of Apple's iPad.

Flurry Analytics on Friday released its latest edition of the "Smartphone Industry Pulse" for January 2010. The mobile analysis firm, which has tracking data in over 20,000 mobile applications, said developers integrating Flurry analytics into iPhone OS applications in January increased nearly three times over December's total.

With more than 1,600 new applications with Flurry started in January, compared to under 600 in December, the start of 2010 represented the largest surge in application starts in the history of the analysis firm's tracking.

"As such, we hypothesize that excitement generated by Apple's iPad event in January is driving this growth," the firm said. "For developers who get a jump on customizing their applications for the iPad, there may be an opportunity to stand out early on, and earn more downloads."

Apple revealed at its iPad event that there are more than 140,000 applications available on its mobile App Store. That software will be compatible with the iPad when it debuts at the end of March.

But developers will also be able to create new, iPad-specific applications that take advantage of the multitouch device and its 9.7-inch screen.

While the App Store saw a huge increase, new Android applications grew about 25 percent in January, continuing a steady ramp for Google's mobile platform. However, Apple's App Store spike helped to push it even further ahead of Android.

"While Android's steady new application growth over the second half of 2009 closed the gap against the iPhone, reaching as many as one out of every three new application starts within Flurry for December, the recent spike in Apple iPad support has swung the pendulum back in Apple's favor to a level not seen at Flurry in six months," the report said. "The unprecedented surge in support for iPad is a positive early indicator for its commercial potential."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    Hey Bill Gates ....... would this appear as nothing to get excited about? Apparently other people think it is. It's all about the simplicity. No flip open screen, no stylus, no mouse, trackpad, keyboard, antenna etc etc etc.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    The iPad is doomed!?
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPad is doomed!?

Funny! As soon as it gets out in the 'wild' and everyone is seeing the iPad...they will want one! I think this could be the biggest 'halo' product yet! Bigger than the iPod(s) or iPhone.

Perfect setup: 27" iMac, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, Time Capsule and AppleTV.

I have it all but a 20" iMac (original intel), no Time Capsule and obviously no iPad-Yet!
  • Reply 4 of 81
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    But I thought all interest had been lost?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Hey Bill Gates ....... would this appear as nothing to get excited about? Apparently other people think it is. It's all about the simplicity. No flip open screen, no stylus, no mouse, trackpad, keyboard, antenna etc etc etc.

i think one has to read between the lines - "not interesting" from bill gates means "we don't know why because we don't have quite the brains to grasp it, but we'll copy it as well as we can, and still try to make a profit from it, even if we don't get its actual value"
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Apps are the killer app!

We should see lots of new apps that just weren't feasible on the iPhone's smaller screen.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

But I thought all interest had been lost?

iWithdrawal, that's all.

Not surprised at the increased interest. There is nothing like the iPad currently on the market (not even the iPad itself.. ), but Apple better be thinking ahead to keep its lead.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Even though the iPad will run iPhone OS, there are things developers will be able to do on it that can't be done on the iPhone and iPod touch. iWork for iPad proves it.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apps are the killer app!

We should see lots of new apps that just weren't feasible on the iPhone's smaller screen.

Assassin's Creed 3 console-style FTW!
  • Reply 10 of 81
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    According to the pundits, the iPad will be a dud because it's just a larger iPod Touch. That logic seems ridiculous to me given the success of the Touch. I mean, what idiot concludes that the 27" iMac will be a dud because it's just a larger version of the highly successful 20"?

Someone help me out here. Isn't the 17" MBP just a larger version of the 13" MBP?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Assassin's Creed 3 console-style FTW!

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy myself

• Reply 12 of 81
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

iWithdrawal, that's all.

Not surprised at the increased interest. There is nothing like the iPad currently on the market (not even the iPad itself.. ), but Apple better be thinking ahead to keep its lead.

I'm sure that they are already working on the 2G.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

iWithdrawal, that's all.

The iBlackBoard?

Then you can really bump your iPad off it, Avatar style, and get your homework assignments.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    To be fair, this makes perfect sense and really isn't all that surprising.

I'm guessing that the app store developer interest hit a plateau a long time ago. The iPhone, as great as it is, has a number of basic limitations. You simply can't get around the screen size. I've seen a number of very innovative work arounds, but the fact is, it has had a fixed screen resolution since day one.

Now that that core component has changed, I'm not surprised that many other groups have become interested in the OS.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPad is doomed!?

And later when it starts selling as quoted from Steve Ballmer: "Its a rounding error."
  • Reply 16 of 81
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    I had hoped that someone who is on my ignore list was gone from AI, but alas I'm mistaken.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Started 'Apps' hardly mean completed, desirable, or successful 'Apps'.

We'll See Soon Enough...[/CENTER]
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

And later when it starts selling as quoted from Steve Ballmer: "Its a rounding error."

Steve Ballmer's existence is a rounding error.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

The iBlackBoard?

Then you can really bump your iPad off it, Avatar style, and get your homework assignments.

some people laugh, but this is the sort of thing that will help the ipad. there are a lot of apps that work okay on the iphone and the touch that will be great on the larger screen. ebooks particularly etextbooks being one.

and yes it is possible that some tech savvy school in a generation or two will have the kids decked out with ipads and have them linked up to an electronic 'blackboard'.

same with businesses for meetings, hospitals with a central computer system for patient records, relaying med orders to the pharmacy, etc.

the ipad is making folks ask the question 'how crazy can we get with this thing' in ways no other device has. Some of it will stick, some won't. Some will make other companies want to compete (which is still a win in its own way).
  • Reply 20 of 81
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    We need to be careful here about what data Flurry is giving us.

The data does NOT say that 3 times as many new apps/projects are being started - only that 3X using Flurry.

Now this is still a significant thing, and surely there is some correlation among new Flurry apps and new apps in general. However, what if Flurry only represented 5% of all apps and suddenly many more developers decided to use their services. It would be easy to see that while Flurry saw a huge increase, the overall increase would be much different.

We will know for sure when we reach 200,000 apps. Also when we see just how many iPad apps there are at launch.

-------

BTW - anyone taking bets on 1M units sold in first 3 days?