Steve Jobs calls Flash a 'CPU hog' in meeting with WSJ - rumor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Sure it's a CPU hog when it's running on the underpowered devices like the iPhone, iPod Touch and the mere 1 Ghz iPad which Flash wasn't designed to run on.

Flash was designed with the increase of processor performance on computers in mind, not these underpowered hand held devices.

Adobe is championing Flash on all mobile phones! Not just the iPod/iPhone/iPad! So no! a desktop is not the "target" environment! More and more it's mobile baby!

KRR
  • Reply 42 of 291
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Yeah, Safari, I quit using it long ago. Flash, I still use every day without problems.

interesting.

he does claim he had the same problems using firefox.

either way it is surprising that in 2010 we are having problems rendering a webpage, for whatever reasons. flash, mac/pc, firefox/safari,
  • Reply 43 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

Here's why HTML5 and CSS2 technologies would work: they can manipulate video, audio and imagery without plugins.

About time.

I've long argued that the fundamental problem is we're trying to use HTML, a text markup language, as multimedia document description language.

Hence the extensions and garbage like Flash.

WIth any luck MS will be too inept to "embrace and extend" things this time.
  • Reply 44 of 291
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Sounds like iSteve needs some therapy.

Ahh ... now this is the iGenius I've come to know and .... barely tolerate. I see you are still willing to form an opinion and post it based strictly on a rumor .... which is clearly stated in the title. Way to go .... never let the facts interfere with your "thinking skills"
  • Reply 45 of 291
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    My hackintosh and G5 iMac handle Flash pretty well... they only eat dirt when trying to use HD video, then annoyance ensues, or an incredibly flash heavy site on my mac side.

Adobe just needs to make it run better on mac, cause i can hop on my friends Windows 7 PC and not even have it take 40% of a single core (he has a i5 quad core) with 720p content.
  • Reply 45 of 291
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Unplug a MacBook Pro and browse any flash based "tube" site for about 20 minutes and watch your battery hemorrhage juice as it sounds like a jet is taking off.
  • Reply 47 of 291
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

interesting.

he does claim he had the same problems using firefox.

either way it is surprising that in 2010 we are having problems rendering a webpage, for whatever reasons. flash, mac/pc, firefox/safari,

I use Safari more than Firefox, although I use both regularly, and have experienced slowdowns and crashes with both.
  • Reply 48 of 291
    Quote:

comparing activity monitor's CPU info showed that it was flash and not bandwidth. bandwidth here is fine. same happend with single windows attempting to load one flash intro. device came to a standstill. hardly bandwidth either.

If he's getting a colored beachball and has to restart on a new machine, it's a software problem as the OS or program is hanging for some reason. Do a file backup, erase w/zero from disk utility, reinstall the OS and latest Flash version.

Should take care of the problem, it's not Flash or bandwidth.

If there are still issues, take it to Apple to check the hardware.
  • Reply 49 of 291
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Around here they have widened the interstate to 8 lanes in each direction and we still have traffic jams. Many web pages render fine. Many web pages with Flash render fine. Many do not. The Flash sucks crowd are painting this picture with too broad of a brush. Sure it is Adobe's fault... for selling us a really simple and effective way to totally screw up a page. But if you are having problems with properly coded Flash pages then you may have other issues with your computer that Flash is only exacerbating.
  • Reply 50 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The funny part about this entire HTML5 and Adobe Flash issue is its a non issue for most users. Its only an issue for Safari users. The rest of the world could care less if HTML5 or Flash is used as long as their video works.

Jobs is the only one with the bug up his a$$ because Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

you are correct that most folks don't care. as long as things work without problems

trouble is that Flash and all things Mac OS doesn't work. and the mobile OS is based off of a lot of the same tech. Apple had to rewrite Safari to keep Flash from crashing it all the time. Which is why Jobs called them lazy. The problems have been there and been reported over and over and Adobe has done nothing. My favorite quote from Adobe is the one about how they don't understand why Mac users keep complaining because Flash is great on Windows and the code for the two versions is practically the same. The lack of understanding the issue and solving it by Adobe makes the PissMacs look like a total non issue.

What is amusing is that Adobe is putting a Flash to iPhone app convertor in CS5 to make it easy for folks to make an app for it. so the papers and such shouldn't have too many problems on that front (if the convertor is any good).

As for the whole tweet thing, I wouldn't be shocked if there had been a rule set against such things from the start and this reporter ignored it. that would certainly make Jobs flip his iLiver
  • Reply 51 of 291
    I don't know if many others are running Chrome on mac yet, but it's astounding how often Chrome catches a webpage crash that is caused by Flash. In fact I have yet to see a page crash detected that hasn't been Flash. Jobs loves to be dramatic to draw attention; but there is fire to that smoke too.

So while I don't think this is the burning issue a lot of others see it as, the fact of the matter is Flash on OSx at least is very buggy and unstable. I would think Adobe of all companies could write tight Apple code having been started on the platform (granted that was way back in the pre-BSD kernel days...). Call it lazy programmers or lazy management, but Adobe really should have more pride in there work, what fun is putting out shoddy code that every slags you about anyway?
  • Reply 52 of 291
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Flash a CPU hog? Well, fucking DUH!

Ask anyone who knows how computers work and they will tell you that 'yes' flash eats CPU cycles like a fat kid swallows twinkies.

Try browsing the web on a netbook. It's fine until you hit a site with flash then boom, slow crap.
  • Reply 53 of 291
    If Adobe wants "good Flash" then they should issue their developers with white MacBooks as development platforms.

After a month or two Flash might be good.

If they don't then it will never be good -- the dog-food rule applies
  • Reply 54 of 291
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I use Safari more than Firefox, although I use both regularly, and have experienced slowdowns and crashes with both.

Just curious — do you know there are other browsers? Camino, Chrome, Omniweb, Opera and SeaMonkey are the ones I mix up. Seems the only ones I see discussed are Safari and Firefox.
  • Reply 55 of 291
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]It's difficult for me not to see this as a simple case of Apple utilizing inferior hardware/software engineering.

Why would simply using Adobe Flash so dramatically decrease battery life when Flash runs perfectly fine on essentially every Windows computer (including newer Pinetrail netbooks) without out radically impacting battery autonomy ?

It sure would be nice if Apple would just allow Adobe access to the appropriate APIs so that they can end all of this silliness.

The very worst that can happen is a reasonable drop in battery life, but ultimately the end-user will be afforded a better overall web/computing experience.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 56 of 291
    iSteve also thinks Blu-ray is old technology or "a bag of hurt.".
  • Reply 57 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Flash a CPU hog? Well, fucking DUH!

Ask anyone who knows how computers work and they will tell you that 'yes' flash eats CPU cycles like a fat kid swallows twinkies.

Try browsing the web on a netbook. It's fine until you hit a site with flash then boom, slow crap.

iTunes is a CPU hog too - Hello?
  • Reply 58 of 291
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Just curious ? do you know there are other browsers? Camino, Chrome, Omniweb, Opera and SeaMonkey are the ones I mix up. Seems the only ones I see discussed are Safari and Firefox.

Sure I'm aware that there are alternatives, but I've only used Safari and Firefox on the Mac. Would you recommend any of these?

It's unlikely that I would use Chrome, I'm not that fond of Google's stuff to be honest. In theory I like their free apps approach, but the implementation falls short in my view.
  • Reply 59 of 291
    Whether flash is supported or not, I would like to know if Apple would ever seriously work with Adobe to optimize it. I am sure Adobe wants to do it, but will Apple help them? I doubt it.
  • Reply 60 of 291
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Sure I'm aware that there are alternatives, but I've only used Safari and Firefox on the Mac. Would you recommend any of these?

I've used Camino a lot lately, but I don't really have a favorite. I like to use them all. Safari is the one I use least. ...didn't mean to get off topic.