Steve Jobs calls Flash a 'CPU hog' in meeting with WSJ - rumor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Just so I understand, because flash does not work on the Mac well, it has to go away.

In other words, the computer world has to do what Steve Jobs says?

It is the MacWay or the HighWay?

Crap, SHUT UP. Flash is crappy on mobiles, on Macs, and even on PCs it consumes more resources than needed. How many times did my mom have to restart her old PC because of memory dumps...

Flash is PROPRIETARY, Flash is CLOSED, Flash is a PLUG-IN, Flash is a HOG.

Flash must DIE.
  • Reply 82 of 291
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Just so I understand, because flash does not work on the Mac well, it has to go away.

Exactly.
  • Reply 83 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Sounds like iSteve needs some therapy.

Moderators, does this guy add anything at all to any discussion other than simply attempt to derail it? Time and time again!?

What a time-waster.
  • Reply 84 of 291
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Crap, SHUT UP. Flash is crappy on mobiles, on Macs, and even on PCs it consumes more resources than needed. How many times did my mom have to restart her old PC because of memory dumps...

Flash is PROPRIETARY, Flash is CLOSED, Flash is a PLUG-IN, Flash is a HOG.

Flash must DIE.

So, if it is Proprietary, closed and a hog, then it must die?

Then we need to kiss iTunes goodbye, because on a Windows machine, that is a pretty good description of iTunes.
  • Reply 85 of 291
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Correct. If Adobe refused to put in the effort to make flash work properly on the Mac, for whatever petty reason, then it should go away. 'Should' in the moral sense.
  • Reply 86 of 291
    Strong CPU & GPU, longlife-battery and fast network comes day by day.

That because smartphone and tablet pc is coming out.

What about contents? HTML, CSS, ... These are old technology.

"We don't spend a lot of energy on old mind."

Steve knows everything Adobe will controll everything by Flash & Air.

He also wants everything controll by iTunes & App store.
  • Reply 87 of 291
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stan_Timek View Post

Don't forget, Flash's claim to fame was that Microsoft adopted it to destroy QuickTime.

Why is Apple constantly in life or death battles? iSteve claimed that Google wanted to "kill".
  • Reply 88 of 291
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Then we need to kiss iTunes goodbye, because on a Windows machine, that is a pretty good description of iTunes.

You're like ... the King of bad analogies.

This is clearly not the same thing at all.

Either you need an IQ upgrade or you're just being a troll on purpose. I'm thinking it's the later based on your comments on this thread.
  • Reply 89 of 291
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

comparing activity monitor's CPU info showed that it was flash and not bandwidth. bandwidth here is fine. same happend with single windows attempting to load one flash intro. device came to a standstill. hardly bandwidth either.

Did he try repairing permissions or installing the current version?

There are plenty of people who use Flash (yes, even in Safari) with no problems on PPC and Intel. When you've got a pathological case like the one you described, you've got to look deeper. The answer isn't just 'Flash,' or we'd all have the same story.
  • Reply 90 of 291
    Quote:

Just to be clear, in my view Apple has a responsibility to make iTunes work well on Windows. (I don't know whether it does or not, I haven't used it.)
  • Reply 91 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why? Because he doesn't want a 20 year old piece of shit software vampiring the battery life from the devices he's trying to promote?

No, because his outbursts are evidence of anger issues.
  • Reply 92 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

iSteve also thinks Blu-ray is old technology or "a bag of hurt.".

Ever tried playing one? I bet you haven't.
  • Reply 93 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

No, because his outbursts are evidence of anger issues.

*Mumbles something about pots and kettles!*
  • Reply 94 of 291
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're like ... the King of bad analogies.

This is clearly not the same thing at all.

Either you need an IQ upgrade or you're just being a troll on purpose. I'm thinking it's the later based on your comments on this thread.

Not a troll at all. At my lab, which is all mac, I probably own $25-30K worth of Apple computers. I have an iPhone, and have had several iPods in the past. I like their products. That doesn't mean I have gone down the Rabbit hole where SJ's word is gospel.

LukeSkyMac said that the reasons, in his opinion, that Flash has to go are that it is proprietary, closed and a resource hog. Those are of course legit criteria for getting rid of code. OTOH, it is not correct to cherry pick when to apply those criteria and when not too. iTunes on a windows machine sucks. It is bloated, slow, and inefficient. It is pretty clear that iTunes code has not been optimized for Windows, even Windows 7. These are all the arguments that get leveled against Flash on the Mac.

It is simply a double standard to say that Flash has to go because it is does not work well on the Mac, but that it is fine that iTunes can exhibit many of the same behaviors on a Windows machine.
  • Reply 95 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Jobs sounds like a really nasty piece of work. Why should any newspaper spend their money on abandoning flash (a technology already installed and working on millions of computers) just because Steve has taken a disliking to it?

He lives in a dream world.

Maybe it is some kind of transference from his liver. People have reported stranger things after getting someone elses organ.
  • Reply 96 of 291
    Quote:

That article is BS. Apple is trying to push in an OPEN, NON-PROPRIETARY STANDARD, while M$haft tried to obliterate everyone forcing .wma and silverlight proprietary BULL.

Wait, isn't H.264 the one that is patented and requires licensing?
  • Reply 97 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Sure it's a CPU hog when it's running on the underpowered devices like the iPhone, iPod Touch and the mere 1 Ghz iPad which Flash wasn't designed to run on.

Flash was designed with the increase of processor performance on computers in mind, not these underpowered hand held devices.

1Ghz. Care to explain what that means to this graduate degree holding system designer? Why is 1Ghz underpowered? What is the difference between the 1Ghz snapdragon and the A4?

Do you know what you're talking about? I would guess not. Mere 1Ghz, do you know that the P4s went up to 3+ Ghz and yet their performance absolutely sucked? Ghz means nothing by itself. Comments like this drive me up the wall.
  • Reply 98 of 291
    Quote:

In Windows, perhaps. But even iTunes for Windows is relatively less "hoggy" than Flash considering what each of them do.

I think you are saying that being a hog is OK if you are bloatware. Likely that is not what you meant, but it is nevertheless implied by what you said.
  • Reply 99 of 291
    Quote:

Not a troll at all. At my lab, which is all mac, I probably own $25-30K worth of Apple computers. I have an iPhone, and have had several iPods in the past. I like their products. That doesn't mean I have gone down the Rabbit hole where SJ's word is gospel.

LukeSkyMac said that the reasons, in his opinion, that Flash has to go are that it is proprietary, closed and a resource hog. Those are of course legit criteria for getting rid of code. OTOH, it is not correct to cherry pick when to apply those criteria and when not too. iTunes on a windows machine sucks. It is bloated, slow, and inefficient. It is pretty clear that iTunes code has not been optimized for Windows, even Windows 7. These are all the arguments that get leveled against Flash on the Mac.

It is simply a double standard to say that Flash has to go because it is does not work well on the Mac, but that it is fine that iTunes can exhibit many of the same behaviors on a Windows machine.

So go ahead and ban iTunes on Windows.
  • Reply 100 of 291
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Can't speak to the performance of iTunes on Windows, but there is a major difference between it and Flash. iTunes isn't being promoted as an internet standard. I can delete iTunes and still have a pleasurable and productive internet experience. Not so with Flash. It's certainly in Apple's best interest to develop iTunes for Windows so that it performs well, as it exists primarily to sell iPods (and now iPhones). Bottom line though, if you are a Windows user and don't like iTunes, you can buy a Zune instead. iTunes on Windows problem solved!