Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 321 of 573
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

is it really 1080p ??

my screen expert tells me that on below 42' TV's 720 and 1080 are hard to tell a part at 12 ft or less viewing area

so how can a dell 15" jam so much rich resolution in such a small area . ??

or have I missed or failed to understand 1080 p ??

I dunno if you understand or not. The vertical resolution is 1080, and the refresh is progressive.

They jam the resolution into such a small area by making small pixels. And I view the screen from about 18 inches away. I have no idea if 720p would look the same, or if it would look lower-rez.
  • Reply 322 of 573
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

can a tiny computer screen even handle 1080p ??

I don't have a tiny computer screen. One of my desktops has a 24", the other has a 30" screen.

Quote:

is it really 1080p ??

my screen expert tells me that on below 42' TV's 720 and 1080 are hard to tell a part at 12 ft or less viewing area

so how can a dell 15" jam so much rich resolution in such a small area . ??

or have I missed or failed to understand 1080 p ??

That person is right to an extent. Please don't forget that resolution and watching distance go hand in hand. The closer you are watching relative to the width of the screen, the more 1080p is noticeable. A high density computer monitor within arm's length is easily better than an HDTV across the room.
  • Reply 323 of 573
    Can anyone recommend interactive iTunes LP and iTunes Extras content that I can check out that would provide a good comparison with Flash's 'creating' (full programming and graphics environment) abilities and interactive features. What programs would I use to say create an interactive character (with IK), how would I move them interactively around virtual worlds, how would I track interactions with other elements and create score cards etc based on those interactions, trigger videos with alpha channels that can be superimposed on other action in those worlds (using vector graphics not bitmap files). How do I protect this content once I post it to the web? (from casual piracy - I understand that anything can be copied but Flash does offer some basic protections where you can't simply right click and save to disk.) If there is any interactive iTunes content (or any other sites for that matter that provide both the front end and backend abilities of Flash) that people can refer me to and recommend an integrated set of software that allows me to create it with the ease of use that Flash offers (in addition to the integration with illustrator, photoshop, after effects and dreamweaver) and allows me to hire both graphic and programmers who have the ability to walk in and start working right away (there is a large pool of people trained in Flash available) I would be happy to consider incorporating it into our pipeline.
  • Reply 324 of 573
    I think people forget that Apple has a financial vested interest in replacing Flash with HTML 5.0--they're trying to push the spec almost alone, along with some support from Google (interestingly, Google Chrome works with HTML 5.0 better than Safari does!).

Here's the problem: most of the world's media-enabled websites include a lot of Flash content (and we're not talking adverts, either!), and Adobe has excellent development and creation tools to create Flash content. On the Windows platform, Flash 10.0.45 actually works quite well, and nowadays I never see browser lockups due to Flash issues. The new Flash 10.1 due late this spring in production form now offloads a lot of the Flash code processing to the GPU, which means it less resource usage on the OS/CPU level. That's why Adobe has been able to port Flash 10.1 to many cellphones nowadays.

Also, don't forget that there are rumors of a new iPhone OS 4.0, which may include true pre-emptive multitasking support for the first time. As such, this will allow Flash 10.1 to run safely, since if something goes wrong in Flash the app can be safely shut down without affecting the everything else running under the iPhone OS.

If Apple REALLY wants to move forward from Flash, they need to do two things:

1) Offer decent development and web creation tools specifically geared to HTML 5.0, and offer conversion tools to convert Flash coding calls to their equivalents in HTML 5.0. Hopefully, Apple will do just that at WWDC 2010.

2) Being even more daring and announce that MacOS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x will no longer support Flash. If there is ANYTHING that will get Adobe's attention, dropping Flash support in MacOS X will finally show we can go beyond Flash on a desktop/laptop operating system using the supposedly open HTML 5.0.
  • Reply 325 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

1) Offer decent development and web creation tools specifically geared to HTML 5.0, and offer conversion tools to convert Flash coding calls to their equivalents in HTML 5.0. Hopefully, Apple will do just that at WWDC 2010.

2) Being even more daring and announce that MacOS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x will no longer support Flash. If there is ANYTHING that will get Adobe's attention, dropping Flash support in MacOS X will finally show we can go beyond Flash on a desktop/laptop operating system using the supposedly open HTML 5.0.

1) I'm thinking Adobe is going to go that route, if some of the Flash Beta leaks are to be believed>

2) Woah! Now that would be "ballsy" as they say in Twittingham...
  • Reply 326 of 573
    I wuz just watching some Hulu on my older non glossy MacBook pro with firewire and an express card slot so I can get an air card from another provider besides At@T. Ah, freedom.

But I will admit the bottom of the computer did get a might bit toasty.
  • Reply 327 of 573
    People just simply do not get it do they??? The article quoted "fastest growing" and "most popular" smart phone while at the same time showing that Adobe says Flash is "critical to the web". LOL! OBVIOUSLY NOT! Seriously... The numbers don't lie people. If it were absolutely essential and demanded SO much then we would have it. But of course we don't and people still keep on raising the sales figures. Flash is not a "standard" by any means... it's f*cking proprietary plain and simple! And most definitely NOT needed... Adobe has secured that for sure with their bloated tendencies. Nice to have in some cases (more for others), but not a necessity and thus proving (in more ways than one) it is not a standard.

You can argue that point until you're blue in the face but it won't change the facts (or the numbers).
  • Reply 328 of 573
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

First question: Are you using a Mac? That might be it. They have problems surfing the 'web. They crash when viewing many popular websites.

That's simply nonsense and no more an issue on the mac os than on windows - poorly executed script and code will kill a browser dead. I have no more issues when browsing on mac then when on windows and the sites which cause issues cause issues on both platforms.
  • Reply 329 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I wuz just watching some Hulu on my older non glossy MacBook pro with firewire and an express card slot so I can get an air card from another provider besides At@T. Ah, freedom.

But I will admit the bottom of the computer did get a might bit toasty.

Cool - you obviously weren't outside then, cause the tiniest bit of sunlight and the screen becomes a complete white-out. And when was the last time you bought a device with a firewire 400 connections which didn't also offer USB-2 or firewire 800?

And what exactly do you slide into that express card slot, can only speak from UK experience, but every wireless provider in the UK offers their services via a USB dongle...
  • Reply 330 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

People just simply do not get it do they??? The article quoted "fastest growing" and "most popular" smart phone while at the same time showing that Adobe says Flash is "critical to the web". LOL! OBVIOUSLY NOT! Seriously... The numbers don't lie people.

AFAIK, the fastest growing is Android, and the most popular is Nokia. iOS no longer is the former, and never was the latter.
  • Reply 331 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That's simply nonsense and no more an issue on the mac os than on windows - poorly executed script and code will kill a browser dead. I have no more issues when browsing on mac then when on windows and the sites which cause issues cause issues on both platforms.

OK, I'll believe you. Many other Mac owners seem to disagree with you, however.
  • Reply 332 of 573
    Quote:

OK, I'll believe you. Many other Mac owners seem to disagree with you, however.

Yes, mainly mac owners who don't spend an even amount of time on windows and mac os - they both have their strengths, but to say the mac is a bad platform for viewing the internet is complete toss, sorry.

When viewing a web page, your machine is subjected to the code provided by the web developer - and there is some very ropey script running around free on the net - the issue is not one of platform, it is one of the quality of the code presented - which is often the case with inexperienced flash developers throwing together slow running, memory leaking crap and uploading it. Most of the flash issue is about amateurs with pirate copies of flash producing crap and grinding sites to a halt.
  • Reply 333 of 573
    Quote:

AFAIK, the fastest growing is Android, and the most popular is Nokia. iOS no longer is the former, and never was the latter.

Don't confuse sales figures with popularity. The iPhone is the best known, most famous single model of cell phone on the planet. It's gone from zero market share to 14% in two years - that is an incredible achievement.
  • Reply 334 of 573
    Quote:

First question: Are you using a Mac? That might be it. They have problems surfing the 'web. They crash when viewing many popular websites.

Mac do not have a problem surfing the net, the issue is when web sites have flash enabled content and Flash HOGS resources and sometimes crashes the browser.

Please get your facts right, I have turn off flash and not had single problem surfing popular web sites or any other web sites.
  • Reply 335 of 573
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

People just simply do not get it do they??? The article quoted "fastest growing" and "most popular" smart phone while at the same time showing that Adobe says Flash is "critical to the web". LOL! OBVIOUSLY NOT! Seriously... The numbers don't lie people. If it were absolutely essential and demanded SO much then we would have it. But of course we don't and people still keep on raising the sales figures. Flash is not a "standard" by any means... it's f*cking proprietary plain and simple! And most definitely NOT needed... Adobe has secured that for sure with their bloated tendencies. Nice to have in some cases (more for others), but not a necessity and thus proving (in more ways than one) it is not a standard.

You can argue that point until you're blue in the face but it won't change the facts (or the numbers).

Great first post.
  • Reply 336 of 573
    Quote:

Can you tell me which Nokia phone is the most popular since your statement is mixing specific phone with a brand name. Nokia is brand of many phones.
  • Reply 337 of 573
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Don't confuse sales figures with popularity. The iPhone is the best known, most famous single model of cell phone on the planet. It's gone from zero market share to 14% in two years - that is an incredible achievement.

Chart of the Day:
    Just imagine what will happen when they finally make an iPhone for multiple US carriers or a TD-SCDMA* version for China Mobile.

* TD-SCDMA does not equal CDMA
  • Reply 338 of 573
    Quote:

Agreed. Can anyone post a couple of links to reputable sites that use flash that will crash (not just use more resources, but actually crash) my browser? I know of the site created to highlight the flaw in the current version of Flash that supposedly crashes the browser but it did not for me and is a proof of concept site anyway, not one that users would visit on a day-to-day basis.

I went to one site listed here as crashing both Safari and FF, http://www.christianmingle.com/ and signed up quickly for an account and clicked through 15 - 20 photos and no crashes. No matches either!
  • Reply 339 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

What have you done with Prince?

Anyway, cue the usual six-page Flash love/hate fest...

... it's not about love/hate,

it's just not possible to have the same interactivity on a touch only based device,

Almost all of the current flash based content won't work on a touch only device!

read more:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...ant-use-flash/
  • Reply 340 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Agreed. Can anyone post a couple of links to reputable sites that use flash that will crash (not just use more resources, but actually crash) my browser? I know of the site created to highlight the flaw in the current version of Flash that supposedly crashes the browser but it did not for me and is a proof of concept site anyway, not one that users would visit on a day-to-day basis.

try these sites provided by user of firefox 3.6, who had issues

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...4939&forumId=1