Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 341 of 573
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jorisx View Post

Almost all of the current flash based content won't work on a touch only device!

Do you see any implications of that for a touch-only device marketed as the best way to surf the 'web?
  • Reply 342 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

try these sites provided by user of firefox 3.6, who had issues

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...4939&forumId=1

Ummm...no problems...
  • Reply 343 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Seriously do you not know how to use the ignore list? I've had very good conversations with others on here, I really don't care that you want to ignore my posts but please learn how to.

Ignored. I'm feeling happier already.
  • Reply 344 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Ummm...no problems...

did you use firefox 3.6 and windows 7 together?
  • Reply 345 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Do you see any implications of that for a touch-only device marketed as the best way to surf the 'web?

Not really, just create (web)applications without a cursor in mind.

I see lots of new challenges for interactive content, whether that is in the form of applications or web based, especially for the bigger screen devices with more screen real estate.

I just hope that adobe & apple will make sure that they won't let the old/current flash content come to these devices, it will just be a horrible enduser experience.
  • Reply 346 of 573
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here is a video of the Nexus One running Flash 10.1. Notice how slow the simple Flash animation is.
    Here is the site and game he chooses so you can compare the processing time, see the lag variances and see how your fast moden computer deals with Flash: http://flashgames247.com/play/2246.html
  • Reply 347 of 573
    Quote:

try these sites provided by user of firefox 3.6, who had issues

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...4939&forumId=1

Tried both sites in Safari Version 4.0.4 (6531.21.10) and FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6) on my MBP with OS X v 10.6.2 . Both sites they listed in your link worked just fine for me.
  • Reply 348 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Tried both sites in Safari Version 4.0.4 (6531.21.10) and FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6) on my MBP with OS X v 10.6.2 . Both sites they listed in your link worked just fine for me.

maybe it due to windows 7
  • Reply 349 of 573
    Quote:

maybe it due to windows 7

I have no idea. The general discussion here has been about Flash performance on Macs. If there is anyone here who could respond to my previous post about creating interactive content not using flash, I would love to hear it (esp. if you are in the business of creating such content) and if anyone has links (preferably that they have tested on a Mac) of reputable sites that crashes Safari or FF I would like to see those too.
  • Reply 350 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a video of the Nexus One running Flash 10.1. Notice how slow the simple Flash animation is.
    Here is the site and game he chooses so you can compare the processing time, see the lag variances and see how your fast moden computer deals with Flash: http://flashgames247.com/play/2246.html

Thanks solipsism, I decided to re-install flash and look at the site and my computer went into cardiac arrest and so I got out of the web page

Running 24" 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB memory latest OSX and it was flash 10.1 (not anymore).

Thanks for HTML5 tip with youtube, now I can actually enjoy that site again.
  • Reply 351 of 573
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

It's also running on leaked unofficial alpha code, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.
  • Reply 352 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I have no idea. The general discussion here has been about Flash performance on Macs. If there is anyone here who could respond to my previous post about creating interactive content not using flash, I would love to hear it (esp. if you are in the business of creating such content) and if anyone has links (preferably that they have tested on a Mac) of reputable sites that crashes Safari or FF I would like to see those too.

Just do a search on internet, i am sure you will found dozens of sites and links providing you information you require.
  • Reply 353 of 573
    Quote:

Just do a search on internet, i am sure you will found dozens of sites and links providing you information you require.

Sorry my bad, I should have been a little more precise. If there is anyone, other than souliisoul, who is interested in having a meaning conversation about alternatives to Flash (per my earlier post) and has some actual experience creating interactive content, not just google'ing the term, I would love to hear it.
  • Reply 354 of 573
    Quote:

Thanks solipsism...

No problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's also running on leaked unofficial alpha code, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.

Sure we can.

We can conclude that Flash 10.1 is much better than any other version of Flash for mobiles ever created.

We can infer that the Flash in the video would still have trouble pushing Hulu video comparing the animation staggering in the video.

We can surmise that Flash 10.1 for the desktop being more processor hungry than HTML5 video tag for the same video means this will still be a power hog on mobiles.

We can postulate that Mozilla's disabling of Flash in Firefox Mobile on Maemo is not something they would have done unless it was really making Firefox Mobile look really bad a mobile browser.

We can stop blaming Apple for the lack of Flash on the iPhone in 2007 when it's 2010 and Flash is still just an 'alpha' for mobiles without a single public release.

We can also posit that if Apple never entered the smartphone market Adobe may have never gotten off their ass to even attempt to make a proper version of Flash.
  • Reply 355 of 573
    Quote:

I've used enough machines to know you are lying about the CPU utilization but the part I find most humorous is you're rampant claims that it works so well on slow HW yet you use an Intel Core 2 Quad Yorkfield running at 2.83GHz with 12MB L2 to prove your point. Classic!

You still fail to realize that Apple is an OEM. As for driver support from OEMs they all have issues. Let's see if you can guess what machine is being talked about below...
    And at last we arrive at the real bone to pick with this laptop: the horrible trackpad. At first blush it doesn't look too bad, since it's large, non-glossy and relatively unadorned. It's lacking buttons, like Apple's recent MacBooks, but that didn't end the world or anything, did it? Well, somebody botched this part bad. [They] apparently forgot that axing the buttons means making darn well sure the software is pitch-perfect. And it isn't. Whether Synaptics is to blame for its drivers or hardware, or [they are] for the configuration, at the end of the day [they are] the one that's selling this $1,700 laptop to people with a basically non-usable trackpad.
    You just love to set me up to smack you down. Masochistic, much?

I don't have to lie about anything, clearly you have no clue how this works. The lastest GPU's made by Nvidia will take a great deal of stress off the CPU in some cases doing a good big of the video processing. Thats what happens when you allow the OEM to write the drivers instead of trying to control everything. This has been the case with Nvidia and maybe even ATI for years now. The fact is Apple is years behind the latest technology.

Apple may be an OEM on some parts but 99% of their hardware comes from another vendor so they are not the OEM.

Steve Jobs talks about how Apple builds products that work together well, in reality they don't and this issue with Flash being a CPU hog under OSX is a perfect example.

Take an iMac as an example if the OSX drivers were written correctly the GPU would take the stress off the CPU and perform most of the video processing.

I am sure you will try to debate this fact because you simply don't understand how all this works.

Also let me add the system I used is a two year old system. The q9550 is a two year old chip, I am running a gtx 260 core 216 and only running 4GB of ram. Also this system cost less then my 13" MBP. So its not like I fired up my latest gaming system to prove my point.
  • Reply 356 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

2) Woah! Now that would be "ballsy" as they say in Twittingham...

And why not? If Steve Jobs wants to force people to go beyond Adobe Flash, he should force real Mac users to stop using Flash altogether by banning Flash from MacOS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x versions. Let's see how fast that hurts Mac sales until the rest of the Internet evolves to HTML 5.0 4-5 years from now.

After all, Jobs once said a mouse pointer didn't need more than one click button; the current Magic Mouse and the previous Mighty Mouse has incorporated two-button mouse functionality--something Apples have done when MacOS X 10.0 came out over a decade ago.

As for the lack of Flash with the iPhone, remember the iPhone has fairly limited computing power--especially considering there's no user pre-emptive multitasking on iPhone OS 1.0 to 3.2. Besides, given the relatively low computing power, Flash doesn't make much sense.

But now that CPU's based on the ARM architecture have gotten a LOT faster lately, Flash has become viable even on the iPhone. With the rumored iPhone OS 4.0 likely coming this summer, which may include user pre-emptive multitasking for the first time, Flash 10.1 should actually work quite well on the iPad once that device goes to iPhone OS 4.0.

Remember, this is not like in 1998 when the original iMac lacked parallel and serial ports in favor of USB ports and lacked a floppy drive in favor of a CD-ROM drive. In 1998, Windows-based PC's were already starting to sport CD-ROM drives, and USB ports were also starting to appear on PC's, too (in 1998 ATX-form factor motherboards already had at least two USB 1.1 connectors).
  • Reply 357 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

And why not? If Steve Jobs wants to force people to go beyond Adobe Flash, he should force real Mac users to stop using Flash altogether by banning Flash from MacOS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x versions. Let's see how fast that hurts Mac sales until the rest of the Internet evolves to HTML 5.0 4-5 years from now.

You write that yet you honestly can't see that Apple sees Flash as viable on the desktop (where all Macs come with Flash preinstalled) but not on mobiles where it's still not designed to run. Where no mobile OS is shipping with Flash in going into the end of February 2010, yet this is Apple's fault back in January 2007. Seriously?
  • Reply 358 of 573
    Quote:

You write that yet you honestly can't see that Apple sees Flash as viable on the desktop (where all Macs come with Flash preinstalled) but not on mobiles where it's still not designed to run. Where no mobile OS is shipping with Flash in going into the end of February 2010, yet this is Apple's fault back in January 2007. Seriously?

I am absolutely serious. Jobs dislikes Flash because 1) he's right that current versions of Flash use too much CPU cycles under MacOS X 10.5.x/10.6.x and 2) Apple--along with Google--has a MAJOR vested interest (both financial and technological) in making HTML 5.0 succeed. As such, if Jobs really wants to get everyone off Adobe Flash, what better way than essentially making Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro users use only HTML 5.0 technologies? Such a move will make WAY more of a statement that the web site designers and managers should evolve to HTML 5.0 technologies.
  • Reply 359 of 573
    Quote:

did you use firefox 3.6 and windows 7 together?

No. I just checked. 3.5.8 (on Win7).

Is it a 3.6 issue? Should I avoid updating?
  • Reply 360 of 573
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Thanks solipsism, I decided to re-install flash and look at the site and my computer went into cardiac arrest and so I got out of the web page

Running 24" 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB memory latest OSX and it was flash 10.1 (not anymore).

You are running beta code and moaning about the performance of it? Maybe you should go back to the product version, those sites, while they increased the processor levels, did not make my 2.16GHz iMac go into "cardiac arrest"