Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 41 of 573
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Obviously ads will still be around if Flash goes away, and they will continue to be annoying and obtrusive. But at least they will not take up 50-80% CPU resources.
  • Reply 42 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

14. W&K is still bullied by Nike, the purely money based charade, who has a Flashed based web site and still abuses child labor, as they pioneered over 25 years ago. Now we have WallMart and Secret Chinese Apple factories! (No Logo). Way to go Phil! (In China, he is known as, Fear Night! All the workers really do fear night, because that's when the North Korean task masters suddenly wake up and whip them for no reason). If Phil's wife ever finds out about those Illuminati/Jesuit Luciferian connections, it could cost him a very pretty Penny!

---The Real Insider---

What the heck are you talking about? North Korean taskmaskers in China? You do realize that they are different countries right? Have you been to China? I live less than 2 miles away from one of the big Apple factories in Suzhou and they don't "fear" anything there -- they're some of the best paid workers in the city. I know, because I teach English to one of the Chinese production managers.

I'm not sure what you were talking about in your post, but it seems like you were having a conversation with your imaginary friend.

By the way, to everyone else, I just installed Kill-Flash for Chrome and it works great! Everywhere there was flash on a page, it simply has a clickable gray box -- click the box and you can see the flash, if you don't do anything, it doesn't load (and saves tons of resources.) Here's the link: http://www.manu-j.com/downloads/apps/kill-flash.crx
  • Reply 43 of 573
    I hate flash, but until Apple wins their battle, it's a necessary evil. It would be a killer streaming TV box if nothing else, and there are too many websites that require it.

I'm excited about the iPad and I'd probably buy one the day they're released if it just supported flash and had a webcam for video chat.
  • Reply 44 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It will take a long time for the majority of worthless ads to be converted into something else. Many will go unaddressed for a long long time.

You'll see new types of ads, based on constantly-improving open standards, that will not crash your browser or whir your macbook fans.

For now, blocking Flash is a great solution.

You apparently have no idea how much money is made based on advertisements on the internet. The way it is delivered is irrelevant, and is my point. Whether it's flash or html5 or some other means, it will be there. Don't be fooled that the end of flash is the end of that business.
  • Reply 45 of 573
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Will being Flash-free hurt the iPad?

Hasn't hurt the iPhone.

The only way Flash will be enabled on the iPad or iPhone OS is if Adobe rewrite flash from the ground for the iPhone OS architecture. This means having the whole code base optimised for the iPhone/iPad and touch interface. This is unlikely to happen anytime soon and for this reason alone flash is doomed to failure.

Regardless of the naysayers the iPad, like the iPod and iPhone before it will sell very very well. This is because the majority of those buying the device don't really give a toss about flash. Once Farmville becomes an App flash will be done ;P
  • Reply 46 of 573
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Anyone who knows how to run Activity Monitor can observe that even the most trivial use of Flash within in a webpage eats up extraordinary resources. If Greenpeace were a legitimate environmental watchdog, it would target Flash as a bigger threat than PVC and BFRs combined, just by the composite amount of energy it consumes to do absolutely nothing of value.

quick time x is amazing
  • Reply 47 of 573
    The real reason you will not see Flash on the iPad is so Apple can force you to buy content on iTunes. It's a ploy.
  • Reply 48 of 573
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Probably when the advertisers who pay for the site realise that the huge amounts paid to web developers for the ads, a cost inflated by them having to recoup the cost of Adobe's Flash? developer tools, realise that their efforts are worthless.

Then they will use different format ads, such as those seen on an iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So when is Apple Insider going to stop using Flash? I'm seeing some very annoying Flash adverts at the moment.

• Reply 49 of 573
    Let us deconstruct Flash for a moment.

What it does/how it is used:

Web Animation

Interactive Graphics/Interface on a Web application

Streaming Web Video

Does it offer any compelling advantage over other, standards based alternative?

Is it Browser Agnostic?

I feel that Flash is 'browser agnostic' if you are willing to run:

A Desktop/Laptop class computer

Firefox, IE, or Chrome (not sure about Opera)

Desktop consumption of web content is the 80% case, mobile is the exception.

Does it offer more security? No?

Does it offer better performance than standards? debatable, def. not on Macs

Is it easier to develop in? Since the 'standards' aren't.. well standardized yet - this requires learning/effort. If you know flash, and have flash content, supporting/enhancing is less work than rebuilding.

All in all - Flash is not a mobile standard. It does not work well with the mobile metaphor (touch vs mouse/keyboard), It does not offer cross platform development characteristics (Have to reinvent content for mobile devices), It is not optimized for mobile resources (power, processor, ram, screen real estate).

So, not supporting Flash on a mobile device - iPad and iPhone - makes sense.
  • Reply 50 of 573
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You apparently have no idea how much money is made based on advertisements on the internet. The way it is delivered is irrelevant, and is my point. Whether it's flash or html5 or some other means, it will be there. Don't be fooled that the end of flash is the end of that business.

Any serious and active website that depends on ad revenue from banners, should already be in the process of preparing for the future. Heck, they should already be aware that there are 75 million users who gobble the web and can't see Flash ads.

Now, the web is a big place, and the differences between "ads" on one site and "ads" on another, are immense. Websites that revert to open standards will have their ad content displayed to more people. Many more. From here on out.

Websites that haven't made changes in years, will fade away into irrelevance. (Yes, there are plenty of well-indexed sites that are loaded with flash ads that still collect some revenue for the owner, although the owner hasn't seen his own site 2-3 years).
  • Reply 51 of 573
    So what will stop you importing any content you want into iTunes and syncing it onto an iPad in the same way as you can now with an iPhone or iPod?

Don't listen to the trolls, it's a ploy!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The real reason you will not see Flash on the iPad is so Apple can force you to buy content on iTunes. It's a ploy.

• Reply 52 of 573
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

While that IS a factor, it is a small one, compared to the significance of the iPad's overall performance and battery life.

Doesn't matter that people could bypass iTunes for games and movies, when it would run like crap and die within 2 hours. People wouldn't use it at all.

Perspective is good to have.
  • Reply 53 of 573
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So what will stop you importing any content you want into iTunes and syncing it onto an iPad in the same way as you can now with an iPhone or iPod?

Don't listen to the trolls, it's a ploy!!!

the worlds a ploy

boy

toy

flash

go live killed

by adobe
  • Reply 54 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

While that IS a factor, it is a small one, compared to the significance of the iPad's overall performance and battery life.

Doesn't matter that people could bypass iTunes for games and movies, when it would run like crap and die within 2 hours. People wouldn't use it at all.

Perspective is good to have.

Choice is good to have. The battery issue was the reason 3G was not on the original iPhone, I do believe. Now it is available with a toggle to turn it off and on. Seems to me that a system preference could solve this whole flash matter.

There seem to be a lot of people here who have issues with flash and want it gone. So be it, but don't take it away until there is another option in place. Make Hulu and the rest work on another format then get rid of it, in that order.
  • Reply 55 of 573
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Im all for open source blah blah blah...

But 10 years til html5???

Really apple?...
  • Reply 56 of 573
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like The Flash
  • Reply 57 of 573
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What I find interesting in all this is the blah, blah, blah of the resident trolls and Adobe itself. According to the trolls, like iGenius, TEKSTUD, and the rest, Apple is doomed to eventual oblivion because of (insert favorite troll here). The Mac is a niche product used by -0.33% of the world's population (or whatever percentage they pull out their ass that day). The iPod is a closed system and therefore no one buys them. The iPhone is a rounding error that will soon disappear from the scene when Android takes over. The iPad, of course, is DOA. We all know and acknowledge those indisputable facts.

So why do the trolls and Adobe even care what Apple does? That's the real question isn't it. Apple has absolutely no influence on the industry because of its miniscule market share. No one pays any attention to what Steve Jobs says and never has. So why is Adobe defending itself from the rantings of the irrelevant CEO of an insignificant corporation that will soon fail and cease to exit?

That's what I'd like to know. Any ideas?
  • Reply 58 of 573
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    On the other hand Steve Jobs has made many statements in the past about the value of certain technologies only to adopt them later on. Maybe this is just a kick in the pants to Adobe to get with the plan. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Adobe and Apple engineers are locked in a lab somewhere in Cupertino with NDAs shoved up their noses and are only being let out to take a leak now and then.
  • Reply 59 of 573
    I think my favourite trolling comments go along the lines of "Me and my family of X people, X number of friends, my X number of work colleagues, my mechanic and my cable guy were already lined up, poised, checkbooks in hand ready to buy X number of iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macbooks, Macs etc, NOW WE WILL ALL BUY NOTHING because Y is missing.

As ineffectual as farting into a wind tunnel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What I find interesting in all this is the blah, blah, blah of the resident trolls and Adobe itself. According to the trolls, like iGenius, TEKSTUD, and the rest, Apple is doomed to eventual oblivion because of (insert favorite troll here). The Mac is a niche product used by -0.33% of the world's population (or whatever percentage they pull out their ass that day). The iPod is a closed system and therefore no one buys them. The iPhone is a rounding error that will soon disappear from the scene when Android takes over. The iPad, of course, is DOA. We all know and acknowledge those indisputable facts.

So why do the trolls and Adobe even care what Apple does? That's the real question isn't it. Apple has absolutely no influence on the industry because of its miniscule market share. No one pays any attention to what Steve Jobs says and never has. So why is Adobe defending itself from the rantings of the irrelevant CEO of an insignificant corporation that will soon fail and cease to exit?

That's what I'd like to know. Any ideas?

• Reply 60 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Flash is also losing its primary uses on the web. Most web videos used to be delivered encoded via On2 proprietary codecs within an FLV file (the proprietary native media container of Flash).

Most future development is moving toward the open H.264 codec specification inside the MPEG-4 container (based on Apple's QuickTime container format).

H.264 is open, but licensed -- codecs and hardware acceleration. The fee is modest now, but should it become a monopoly by uniform use, MPEGLA can put the hammer down any time and charge the moon.

I am gobsmacked that the article did not mention (nor did any one yet in the comments) Google's purchase Thursday of On2.

This means that Google can open source On2's old and new codecs, ending the HTML5 War for opensource that Mozilla is waging against the licensed-proprietary H.264 in favor of Ogg, thus speeding the accelerated acceptance of HTML5 because the 25% of the world using Firefox will support it.

Conversely, if Google has indeed gone to the DarkSide and all their squinking about open standards and HTML5 and Don't Be Evil is so much bullshit, we'll know soon enough.