Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 61 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So when is Apple Insider going to stop using Flash? I'm seeing some very annoying Flash adverts at the moment.

I agree that AppleInsider of all sites should stop using flash now!

I have confirmed however that I can watch the video in this article on my iPhone so...

The world does not need flash! If Adobe wants to keep making it, fine but we should just ignore it just like MS Silverlight. We should stop using it on Mac as well.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 62 of 573
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

Does it have to be a love/hate fest? I agree with Adobe - I think Apple has the horsepower to run flash on the ipad, so they should allow it. When the iPhone came out they said it lacked the muscle to do flash well.

Let's see. We have some anonymous poster on AppleInsider saying Apple can do it. We have Apple's CEO (based on the experience of thousands of employees) saying the trade-offs are too great. We have the experience of millions of people who admit that running Flash sends their Activity Monitor through the roof and their fans head to warp speed.

Just why should we believe that your 'I think Apple has the horsepower' is of any validity at all?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Please, please Apple. Install Flash into the iPad OS. I LOVE those giant web ads that push the content of whatever page I'm at two-thirds of the page down and then back up again. Flash is ever so dreamy!

Don't forget all the flashing lights and dancing movement. And it would be great if Apple had to install fans in the iPad because I'll miss that racing engine noise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Someone has to blink first.

Not necessarily. The iPhone did well without Flash. Adobe is still making lots of money. It could go on the way it is for quite a while - until the point when html has largely displaced Flash.

Apple's not going to blink. Adobe COULD, theoretically, by writing a decent version of Flash that doesn't require a dedicated power plant, but since they haven't done that yet, it appears to be beyond their capabilities.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

Damn, folks. Apple is probably one of three companies with the muscle to actually impact the fate of Flash. If they manage to make a big enough dent in Adobe's doughboy, we're all better off. Adobe either shapes up or ships out. Only shills or very shortsighted present-pinchers have reason to whine about this.

Microsoft is another. Note that Flash will not be on the new Windows Mobile either (yes, I know they said 'at launch', but that's the same thing they said about the iPhone). Even if it becomes available later, it won't be out until the end of the year at the earliest. If you're a developer considering how to deliver mobile content, you know iPhone doesn't have Flash. IPad doesn't have Flash. And, as of today, Windows Mobile doesn't have Flash. Not to mention that 10.1 isn't living up to its hype - it's delayed and examples on the web are slow and choppy on mobile devices.

A smart developer would have to look at all that info and very seriously consider non-Flash technologies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Such a short-sighted comment. Lets say Flash went away tomorrow for good. Do you really believe that irritating ads are going away when Flash is gone?

No, but at least my battery won't go dead 5 times as fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Flash is mainly used for three things:

1. Banners

2. Games

3. Video (youtube and such)

Flash games for kids is big. But they're for computers, not for phones or pads. They're not designed to work on minimal platforms. Everything else is easy to replace. I other words, no need for Flash in my daily life.

I'm not sure I agree with the latter part. For example, my daughter plays Webkinz which is Flash-only. That would be great to play on an iPad - it doesn't require a full blown computer. It would be nice if they coded that site in something other than Flash (not to mention that there are entire bulletin boards dedicated to how bad the current Webkinz is, apparently because of its Flash architecture.

Quote:

So when is Apple Insider going to stop using Flash? I'm seeing some very annoying Flash adverts at the moment.

Good point. Let's have the Apple sites lead the way!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The real reason you will not see Flash on the iPad is so Apple can force you to buy content on iTunes. It's a ploy.

Nonsense. You don't have to buy content on iTunes on the iPhone, why would you need to on the iPad?

Quote:

Choice is good to have. The battery issue was the reason 3G was not on the original iPhone, I do believe. Now it is available with a toggle to turn it off and on. Seems to me that a system preference could solve this whole flash matter.

Ability to toggle it on and off would be the WORST of both worlds. It would allow lazy developers to continue to use Flash for their web sites because they'd simply assume that users could always turn it on.

Apple is forcing a paradigm shift - and you don't accomplish that without breaking a few eggs (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Just like the Floppy disk and serial ports, once something has outlived its usefulness, you have to take significant steps to create change. Yes, there will be some discomfort in the end, but eventually the transition is successful and everyone's better off.
  • Reply 63 of 573
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

On the other hand Steve Jobs has made many statements in the past about the value of certain technologies only to adopt them later on. Maybe this is just a kick in the pants to Adobe to get with the plan. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Adobe and Apple engineers are locked in a lab somewhere in Cupertino with NDAs shoved up their noses and are only being let out to take a leak now and then.

Not likely. If that were going to happen, it would have happened years ago. The iPhone has been out 3 years without Flash. As more and more content goes away from Flash, there is less and less reason to backtrack.
  • Reply 64 of 573
    Nice vid Danny, to the point, informative and with that dry humour that is so evident in your writing.
  • Reply 65 of 573
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superacidjax View Post

I'm not sure what you were talking about in your post, but it seems like you were having a conversation with your imaginary friend.

Damn! I wish I thought of that putdown. I may have to use that elsewhere. Excellent work

Good article form Daniel. I'm old enough to remember most of the events of the Prince's history lessons.
  • Reply 66 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Such a short-sighted comment. Lets say Flash went away tomorrow for good. Do you really believe that irritating ads are going away when Flash is gone? You'll be crying for ClickToHTML5.

Once Apple sees the new revenue stream on the App store along with Adobes efforts to re-tool Flash for a consistent CPU-hog free experience, Apple will embrace Flash. I love all that Steve Jobs has done so far, he's a true visionary, but, he WILL lose the war over Flash.

HTML 5 will share the same fate as Silverlight, why?

Partly right. Ads will NOT disappear if you got rid of Flash. I've been saying for some time that the outcry shouldn't be to Apple to allow flash on it's devices, but to chastise and encourage Adobe to make better software. My Mac AND windows machines bomb regularly now with flash. I'm sure it's a combination of browser/plugin as it seems to bomb more in the latest versions of Firefox. It's in Adobe's best interest to optimize and make it the best performing software ever.

HTML5 WILL NOT be the next silverlight. (Even that is being forced on us at work to view some microsoft training, etc. so the install base continues to rise). Youtube, Vimeo, Apple have already started the migration. HTML 4 HAS to evolve so no, it's not some new fancy plugin, HTML5 will be the HEART of the web. Very different animal.

Even Google with it's Chrome browser is promoting Javascript as when speed and Javascript frameworks evolve more, items like flash will become more and more less important.

I thought someone should develop a flashlike development environment for HTML5, but with Flex and the way I see developers working in Flash, it's less and less about GUI, timelines, etc. and once the base library items are created, the majority of work is done in actionscript.

Don't be fooled ... HTML5 IS the future.
  • Reply 67 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. You don't have to buy content on iTunes on the iPhone, why would you need to on the iPad?

Ability to toggle it on and off would be the WORST of both worlds. It would allow lazy developers to continue to use Flash for their web sites because they'd simply assume that users could always turn it on.

So you think my suggestion to make flash available to those who choose to use it is nonsense and the worst thing in two worlds. Okay, let me ask you something.

Why am I able to put content on my iPhone that is not from iTunes? Because there is an option to convert content to the iPhone format built into iTunes. Hence a choice was given to me. Will such an option be available for the iPad?

Would the original iPod have been such a success if there was not a way to rip CD's and put them on the iPod? Imagine if you had bought a 20 Gig iPod and had to fill it up with stuff from iTunes? It would have cost you thousands.

I suspect the iPad will be so locked down, you will loose freedom of choice in how you can use it. This is the direction I see Apple taking. You WILL do what we say or else you can't come to the party. The exclusive AT&T contract was just the beginning. Maybe you can argue that it was appropriate and necessary for a mobile phone, but why must it be this way for an iPad? Because it's mobile? Can't I use this in my home on my couch plugged into the wall?

I guess I'll leave it at that. I have been outspoken about choice for the end user over and over regarding AT&T and have had little support here. Most of the people in this forum operate on a logic that I cannot fathom.
  • Reply 68 of 573
    Apple will define what protocol is used in the mobile industry. Nothing will stop the momentum Apple has right now in leadership and in defining technology going forward!
  • Reply 69 of 573
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So that would mean that the iPad is not a giant iPod then?

That's a relief, for a while there I thought it was going to be nothing more than a big iPod touch.

Quote:

So you think my suggestion to make flash available to those who choose to use it is nonsense and the worst thing in two worlds. Okay, let me ask you something.

Why am I able to put content on my iPhone that is not from iTunes? Because there is an option to convert content to the iPhone format built into iTunes. Hence a choice was given to me. Will such an option be available for the iPad?

Would the original iPod have been such a success if there was not a way to rip CD's and put them on the iPod? Imagine if you had bought a 20 Gig iPod and had to fill it up with stuff from iTunes? It would have cost you thousands.

I suspect the iPad will be so locked down, you will loose freedom of choice in how you can use it. This is the direction I see Apple taking. You WILL do what we say or else you can't come to the party. The exclusive AT&T contract was just the beginning. Maybe you can argue that it was appropriate and necessary for a mobile phone, but why must it be this way for an iPad? Because it's mobile? Can't I use this in my home on my couch plugged into the wall?

I guess I'll leave it at that. I have been outspoken about choice for the end user over and over regarding AT&T and have had little support here. Most of the people in this forum operate on a logic that I cannot fathom.

• Reply 70 of 573
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I hate flash, but until Apple wins their battle, it's a necessary evil.

And it continue to be included with every Mac you buy, just not on iDevices with limited resources, especially power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The only way Flash will be enabled on the iPad or iPhone OS is if Adobe rewrite flash from the ground for the iPhone OS architecture. This means having the whole code base optimised for the iPhone/iPad and touch interface. This is unlikely to happen anytime soon and for this reason alone flash is doomed to failure.

They still haven't offered a 64-bit or HW Accelerated version of Flash for Mac OS X so it amazes me some thing holding it back is an thumbs up from Apple.

The pro-Flash arguments are interesting since it's quite possible that without the iPhone's existence decent mobile OS web browser wouldn't become a goal and Adobe never would have decided to port Flash to the mobile sector, still relying on Flash Lite.

Quote:

The real reason you will not see Flash on the iPad is so Apple can force you to buy content on iTunes. It's a ploy.

Except that Apple is supporting the HTML5 video tag and has already created the free HTTP Live Streaming communications protocol to facilitate easier and better streaming over the web.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I agree that AppleInsider of all sites should stop using flash now!

I have confirmed however that I can watch the video in this article on my iPhone so...

Yes, the video is from YouTube, which encodes all its videos in the H.264 video codec. There is nothing unusual about this method since YouTube tailors it to your device. Once the JS/CSS controls are made for HTML5 we're going to see a major change switch in a relative short time. This is gonna be fun.

PS: I wish Adobe would hurry up with releasing Flash 10.1 for mobiles. It'll be so much easier to give the anti-Apple trolls a smack down once we get some video comparisons in hand.
  • Reply 71 of 573
    ... and it is not so bad.

There appear to be more annoying things using flash than there are useful things.

There are a lot of ADs that use it and I can live without them.

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourma...fariplugin.htm

Time will tell...
  • Reply 72 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Any serious and active website that depends on ad revenue from banners, should already be in the process of preparing for the future. Heck, they should already be aware that there are 75 million users who gobble the web and can't see Flash ads.

Now, the web is a big place, and the differences between "ads" on one site and "ads" on another, are immense. Websites that revert to open standards will have their ad content displayed to more people. Many more. From here on out.

Websites that haven't made changes in years, will fade away into irrelevance. (Yes, there are plenty of well-indexed sites that are loaded with flash ads that still collect some revenue for the owner, although the owner hasn't seen his own site 2-3 years).

True. But if depends on where the dollar is. If mobile computing competes or overtakes static computing than they will change their ad wrappers to chase the dollar. Just like flash isn't going to the grave tomorrow, none of this will happen over night. But it will happen.

But even today, there is a huge amount of advertising that isn't based on flash. We can all see that when we open up a webpage on an iPhone. The same will be true for the iPad and many other devices moving forward.
  • Reply 73 of 573
    Quote:

¿Que? The iPad syncs through iTunes, just like every iDevice so why exactly do you think you couldn't use that same content on the iPad that you can on an iPhone?

Note that the iPad has even more access since it will allow for more traditional network connectivity, even showing up as an attached device on your network.
  • Reply 74 of 573
    Quote:

Choice is good to have. The battery issue was the reason 3G was not on the original iPhone, I do believe. Now it is available with a toggle to turn it off and on. Seems to me that a system preference could solve this whole flash matter.

There seem to be a lot of people here who have issues with flash and want it gone. So be it, but don't take it away until there is another option in place. Make Hulu and the rest work on another format then get rid of it, in that order.

I can agree with this. I was recently at an educational conference with my MBP. I kept thinking that this would be the perfect venue for an iPad; a small device for taking notes and communicating with my coworkers via email. But, when I attended a workshop on educational sites to enrich any classroom it became painfully obvious that I would have been crippled had I been using an iPad. The presenter showed me a ton of great sites perfect for my students but I would not have been able to visit any of them since they were flash based. Having the option to turn on flash when needed would have been nice for the brief amount of time that it was needed. I would much rather have carried around a portable communication device instead of my laptop but without flash, it will be crippled for educational use. I'm no fan of Flash and will rejoice when it is replaced by something more efficient but until a viable option comes along the ability to use it when needed would be nice.
  • Reply 75 of 573
    i wish apple allowed flash. so many websites look funny without it.
  • Reply 76 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

There appear to be more annoying things using flash than there are useful things.

You got me thinking.

? Flash is mostly annoying

? Trolls are mostly annoying

? Trolls want Flash regardless of it's feasibility and usefulness

I think they see quite a bit of themselves in Flash.
  • Reply 77 of 573
    Great Article! I totally Agree and i hope Flash is removed from the web totally. I hate hearing my macbook fan spin so fast just because i am on a website with flash, but when i am just chilling, listening to music or reading on my macbook it's as quiet as can be.
  • Reply 78 of 573
    Flash is Dead as far as I am concerned.

Flash is like the Floppy Disk.

It is old technology that does not fit in an open standards web.

It is proprietary technology that introduces bugs, crashes, security breaches, and resource hogging that cannot be fixed by Apple in its products.

It deserves to die.
  • Reply 79 of 573
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Interestingly, the history of Flash indicates that Apple isn't just persecuting it as a bully. If anything, Apple is just reclaiming its position in media delivery. After all, it was Apple that introduced video, animation, and multimedia on the desktop with QuickTime in 1991, back before Microsoft was even able to get reliable audio playback working across the spectrum of Windows PCs.

I don't know if they can reclaim what they really didn't have, they didn't have any pull. They had those features, but they weren't used. Rather than putting anything into promoting it, or finding why it's not been used, they let it die on the vine just as quietly as they promoted it.

Quote:

The pundits here don't own the site. That said, there are still flash embeds in RouglyDrafted despite the readily available and supposedly serviceable alternatives. If he wants to say there are better alternatives, I think it would behoove him to actually use them to the limits of technical feasibility. Stopping flash use for video doesn't just help mobile, it helps regular computers as well. I for one am tiring of every site having its own flash playback controller, they tend to malfunction very often and their controls are very inconsistent in comparison to each other.
  • Reply 80 of 573
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Thank you for printing the article so we don't have to watch Daniel speak. That is as painful as watching flash.

OOOOOPS! His video is on Flash!

Keep your thoughts in print. Thanks.