Inside Apple's lawsuit against HTC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashralis View Post

This has to be the best bunch of words I've read since last month. It's incredibly wasteful all the money/work that gets incinerated through lawyer services.

It's just a part of doing business, and the "problem" is not exclusive to the US.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Am I thrilled that all these lawsuits are flying around all over the place from everyone? No.

But does intellectual property have to be aggressively defended and protected by everyone? Yes.

Therein lies the conundrum.....
  • Reply 43 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Your lack of knowledge and ignorance given the comment above is amazing.

You do realize that HTC has a 260 Billion dollar market cap as of today.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...ticker=2498:TT

I don't see what the market cap has to do with my statement.

I said they made cheap products quickly and that it was mostly crap. I also implied that they were unoriginal or copycats for the most part. That doesn't equate to them not making money at it. Historically, that's the very best way to make money there is, Apple is quite the exception in the business world in that regard.
  • Reply 44 of 127
    Quote:

Yes, of course they are a legit company.

But you realize that the data are in Taiwan Dollar, surely, and that 1 Taiwan Dollar ≈ US$0.031? So the mkt cap is approximately US$8B.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,406member
    These legal stories are so boring, and so NOT why I visit sites like this. Personally, I would prefer that these lawsuit stories be relegated to some separate page on the site so they don't clutter up the interesting stuff. Maybe only put a lawsuit story on the front page when the suit is settled, and only then if the settlement has some real effect on products/technology.

And let me just say -- yes, thank you brilliant person who will inevitably reply "you don't have to read the story!" --- I do know that, and generally I don't. But there are SO MANY of these stories that weeding them out starts to become tedious.

I wonder if somebody could come up with a browser plug-in that blocks stories about lawsuits... that would be cool.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,148member
    I find this hilarious. In '96, Steve Jobs quoted the line "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal", and now Jobs is saying that HTC stole from them. I guess HTC is the greater artist then.

Makes sense, Leonardo da Vinci wouldn't have become famous if he just painted the Mona Lisa over and over again...

More seriously, FSJ said Google is the 'new Borg' (Microsoft being 'the Borg' and IBM being 'the old Borg'), but I'm sorry to say this role is being filled quite nicely by Apple.

HTC is perhaps the only other handset manufacturer out there with the balls to create something new and compelling for end users, and of course Apple has to try and destroy that.

Some people here are probably going to find a way to justify Apple's stiff-arm tactics, and I don't much care what your justifications are. They are stifling innovation, period. For me, its HTC all the way from now on.
  • Reply 47 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But you realize that the data are in Taiwan Dollar, surely, and that 1 Taiwan Dollar ≈ US$0.031? So the mkt cap is approximately US$8B.

The next comment is usually something about how that is more money than you'll ever make or that he was referring to New Dollar not US Dollar.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No offence, but how does this qualify as "inside" Apple's lawsuit?

You've added the detail that it's at least partially about the keyboard and that's pretty much it. Otherwise this article is just a rehash of the fifteen other articles on this around the web right now, (some on this very site).

Judge: Can you explain this HTC?

HTC: Your Honor, I?m going to demonstrate how our software differs from the iDont. I?m launching Pandora now? Can you hear the music? I?m now going to check my email.. Do you still hear the music?? Now I?m launching the Web Browser.. Can you still hear the music???

Judge: Case closed!!
  • Reply 49 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I find this hilarious. In '96, Steve Jobs quoted the line "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal", and now Jobs is saying that HTC stole from them. I guess HTC is the greater artist then.

I wish we could stop taking this timeworn aphorism out of context.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee

Totally agree.

HTC is a hairsbreadth away from being one of those clone manufacturers in China. Cheap crap, speedily made. Nothing wrong with that of course, but to then turn around and claim they are in the same ballpark as Apple is a bit much.

A cheap clone from China? Really? Do some research on a company before you make ignorant statements.

Have you ever even used an HTC Phone?

With what knowledge do you make such a blanket statement about a company or the product they manufacture?
  • Reply 51 of 127
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

A cheap clone from China? Really? Do some research on a company before you make ignorant statements.

Have you ever even used an HTC Phone?

With what knowledge do you make such a blanket statement about a company or the product they manufacture?

Actually I gotta chime in here and say that there were a LOT of people who had problems stemming from hardware with the touch pro. They got it better with the TP2, but trust me when I say this: HTC isn't always perfect with their hardware.

Not to mention their utter lack of providing propper video drivers for the qualcomm chips...

Still though, I love my TP2 and wouldn't mind having an HD2 at all.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Possibly, but it also might be because Palm hasn't been successful enough in their stealing of Apple's patents, if they are, to make it viable. We'd also have to look at the nuisances of Palm's patents and how Apple implements ambient light sensors to see if there is a violation.

ha ha. give it up. this guy points out the obvious and you are still too much of an apple lackey to see the truth.

i laugh at all these idiots paying 2 and 3 times what something is worth. since the mac and all the products that have followed apple has aimed right at the dimwits who couldn't use a computer in the first place but are all too willing to pay for the disney experience. playschool crowd.

i find it gratifying that apple is so afraid of the competition that they have to resort to legal means to kill competition.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The complaint even goes as far as to specifically distinguish between Android and non-Android handsets, suggesting Google's mobile operating system plays a part in the alleged patent infringement.

Of course it does. Android can't match the iPhone yet, but it's quickly catching up. Apple is scared shitless of Android.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    http://multi-touchscreen.com/

In fall fairness, Apple has invested quite a bit in touch and multi touch user interface, plus software development and other aspects than went in to the iPhone, iPad, etc. They even bought a software company was developing this tech.

Snake in the grass Google has the CEO in the Apple board and soon came with their copy which initially was not a threat. Got the camel nose under the tent and then sneaked multi touch via a software upgrade. Meanwhile Palm has tried the same thing including spoofing their way into the iTune store.

I suspect that Apple also waited till the transgressions became obvious before they filed the case in court. Obviously they went for the weakest link which is HTC... a foreign company with limited financial resources to hi lawyers, prepare the case. If HTC looses, then Moto and even Google will drop their pants.

I am not a lawyer so I do not know the odds, but I have seen plaintiffs weak even weaker cases, especially in certain Texas courts.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

ha ha. give it up. this guy points out the obvious and you are still too much of an apple lackey to see the truth.

i laugh at all these idiots paying 2 and 3 times what something is worth. since the mac and all the products that have followed apple has aimed right at the dimwits who couldn't use a computer in the first place but are all too willing to pay for the disney experience. playschool crowd.

i find it gratifying that apple is so afraid of the competition that they have to resort to legal means to kill competition.

I find it sad the lack of objectivity with certain types of people, especially the ones that come to an Apple-entric forum just to pooh-pooh Apple. How about at least acknowledging the fact that you don't know squat about what Apple, HTC or Palm have stolen or legally obtained.

I've clearly addressed that fact and even acknowledgment that Palm may have a better case against Apple if they tried, yet you feel need to call me and the sane people of this thread "lackey", "idiot", "dimwit" and "preschool crowd." That is a lot personal attacks in one session. Mods don't take kindly to that from fledging posters. I hope you have extra email addresses; you may need them.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    It was bound to happen. No one has made a touch-screen phone before the iPhone. So, how are they going to make one without infringing on Apple patents.

Expect more lawsuits. This is just an opening shot.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

This is a great example of why Monetary and Capitalist systems don't work and eventually will fail..

Without capitalism you wouldn't have the phones to begin with.

To fail, capitalism must have worked to some extent. Which can't be said for hippy ideals.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope you have extra email addresses; you may need them.

That wouldn't be legit either, if the mods found out......
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

To fail, capitalism must have worked to some extent. Which can't be said for hippy ideals.

Of course, with hippy ideals, one would never really know one way or another (until one ran out of money or descended from the haze), no....?
  • Reply 60 of 127
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

oh my side is splitting... ooohhhhhh ahynnGusss.....