Inside Apple's lawsuit against HTC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It was bound to happen. No one has made a touch-screen phone before the iPhone. So, how are they going to make one without infringing on Apple patents.

Expect more lawsuits. This is just an opening shot.

Just a correction. Lots of other companies have made touch-screen phones before the iPhone.

It's the multi-touch, among possibly some other things, that they haven't done.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It's funny seeing how some people react to this.

Nokia sues Apple -> "This lawsuit is without merit and Nokia are only doing this out of desperation."

Apple sues HTC -> "HTC need to stop copying Apple! This is an outrage!!!!"

Of course, everyone on here is an expert in patent law so it's cool.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It was bound to happen. No one has made a touch-screen phone before the iPhone. So, how are they going to make one without infringing on Apple patents.

Expect more lawsuits. This is just an opening shot.

Handspring (ne Palm) released a touch screen phone in 2002 called the Treo.

I have owned the Treo, Treo600, and an iPhone in the past decade. The iPhone interface is a huge departure from what came before, but it is not the touch screen, it is the size, and the multi-touch experience that set it apart.

I have been waiting for this lawsuit for the past 3? years, since the first 'multi-touch' phone became available from HTC and T-Mobile. Put every other aspect aside - apple has patented the multi-touch experience, cover flow and their take on the software keyboard.

Palm offered nothing like it. WiMo (yeah right) offered nothing like it, and to the best of my knowledge, Nokia offered nothing like it. This lawsuit may be one of many steps in a dance to clarify who 'owns' and who licenses these technologies. My guess? HTC, Nokia, Palm end up as licensees.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    rhivenrhiven Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

The fact that both WinMo and Android-based HTC phones are being targeted, suggests that it is something specific about HTC's handsets, such as the Sense UI maybe?

The Nexus One doesn't use Sense UI so I doubt that is the reason.
  • Reply 85 of 127
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhiven View Post

The Nexus One doesn't use Sense UI so I doubt that is the reason.

There are 20 reasons, so that could be one them, or elements of it could be I'm sure. Interesting to see how it pans out when more details become available. I'm very interested in the patents that are included.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    Simple. Go and invent something better to up the ante.
  • Reply 87 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

How does it stifle innovation?

Assuming HTC is guilty (which they might not be), wouldn't we all be better off it HTC found another, hopefully better, faster, efficient, way to implement an objects, multi-touch, power saving, etc? How does it advance technology for them to do it the exact same way?

Exactly. Moreover, there is nothing that says HTC shouldn't or couldn't use Apple's IP. They then have to simply pay for it.
  • Reply 88 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Nokia sues Apple -> "This lawsuit is without merit and Nokia are only doing this out of desperation."

I think it's funny how everyone wanted to find out the details, and then when AppleInsider publishes them, the majority of the debate is still a "he said, she said" over whether Apple is "scared" and how patent law works.

Absolutely no one has anything to say about the idea that the HTC touch keyboard might infringe, or the lock screen, or really *any* of the details. We might just as well be slapping each other with fish for all the progress this "debate" is making.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yet I recall seeing that the other way, too. I think it's fair to say that some will always side with Apple here, some against, but most are objective in their comments.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think it's funny how everyone wanted to find out the details, and then when AppleInsider publishes them, the majority of the debate is still a "he said, she said" over whether Apple is "scared" and how patent law works.

Absolutely no one has anything to say about the idea that the HTC touch keyboard might infringe, or the lock screen, or really *any* of the details. We might just as well be slapping each other with fish for all the progress this "debate" is making.

It's the tabloid generation. People don't actually care about the facts or details, just the sensational emotionally-driven speculation about motives.

This will go on for a few days before the emotion peters out, everyone satisfied that they were right; facts be damned.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    kiwirobkiwirob Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Your lack of knowledge and ignorance given the comment above is amazing.

You do realize that HTC has a 260 Billion dollar market cap as of today.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...ticker=2498:TT

I believe you may have ignorantly assumed all countries in the world use the USD. Sure HTC have a 257.2Billion market cap. But that is Taiwan New Dollars which with todays exchange rate is about 8 Billion USD. Apple on the hand has a market cap of 189.3 Billion USD and is holding close to 40 Billion USD in Cash and Short Term liquid Assets. So all of HTC is worth less than 25% of the spare cash Apple has lying about the place. ;-)
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

A cheap clone from China? Really? Do some research on a company before you make ignorant statements.

Have you ever even used an HTC Phone?

With what knowledge do you make such a blanket statement about a company or the product they manufacture?

Now I *know* you are really teckstud like some people say.

Only he would quote himself (and a quote that makes him look like a complete fool as well), and then instead of quoting what I already replied to the original quote, pastes on a completely unrelated "reply" from me on a totally different aspect.

Complete gibberish.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    And now for something informative to get away from AngusYoung's odious trolling...
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And now for something informative to get away from AngusYoung's odious trolling...

Woah.

Quite a few of those seem like a total lock by Apple. Very serious stuff, especially the Federal court ones. Thanks for posting the link.

I don't see Apple making these kind of claims without intending to fight right to the end with them. Considering at the end of the day Apple could probably buy HTC outright and shut them down, I don't see Apple losing the game either.

I think the best outcome would be if Google would just concede and licence the technology from Apple. Save everyone a lot of headaches and money.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Something like this, you mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Such as patents that Palm holds...

...#7,007,239, "Method and apparatus for accessing a contacts database and telephone services" i.e. phone.app including buttons in the phone.app UI to bring up contacts, history, etc. In fact the diagram in the Palm patent submission is almost a diagram of the iPhone phone UI but was from 2006.

Hey how's Skype coming along with the 3G thing?

I haven't noticed any updates yet.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think the best outcome would be if Google would just concede and licence the technology from Apple. Save everyone a lot of headaches and money.

Does Apple even license any of these technologies?
  • Reply 97 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Does Apple even license any of these technologies?

Probably not, but someone should at least try, no?

I think what Apple has done here is to fire a very broad warning shot to a whole lot of manufacturers, esp. Motorola. I'll bet MOT's lawyers are poring through every word of that filing, looking for where and when the ax could fall.

Apple is taking it just one step at a time.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

HTC Android phones have been creeping up their functionality in imitation of the iPhone for some time.

Adding a bit here, an update there pushing, pushing, pushing.

Time to stop and develop their own.

13 years, only 5 years after the Apple Newton.

Multi-touch existed before the iPhone you know.

Will Google be able to sue Apple if they ever implement multi-tasking in the iPhone?

There has to be common sense used with these kind of disputes. Android is an evolution of iPhone OS, the next step forward, just as iPhone OS was an evolution over Windows Mobile etc. I imagine Windows Phone 7 will be an evolution over Android. Everyone builds one the basic ideas of others.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Thanks for the link, the explanations are great.

BTW, did you have a look at the comments over at engadget. People are just going crazy over the fact that Apple is filing this lawsuit. I mean, ok, some of these patents look rather silly, but overall, they should protect their IP.

And the same goes for other companies. If they do inventions, they have to protect them.

And what Apple really did with the iPhone is not finding some cutting edge technology, because everything in it already existed, they just put the things together in a way nobody had ever done before, and added the required software.
  • Reply 100 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

And how exactly would Apple know such a thing? Reverse engineer htc devices? Isn't that illegal?

If they didn't, then aren't they going out on a limb and guessing the same methods are used?

When you put your finger on the virtual keyboard on an iPhone, a "tab" pops up above your finger with the selected key shown larger, at which time, if you've pressed the wrong key, you can slide your finger in the appropriate direction to find the right key before you make a mistake.

If the HTC phones do that, it is a violation of Apple patents.

There are countless other examples of this type of implementation that would be the subject of the lawsuit.