Interest in Amazon Kindle wanes following Apple iPad unveiling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"While the iPad launch is likely to strengthen overall e-Reader demand, the survey suggests Amazon and its competitors could well find themselves relegated to playing catch-up within just a few quarters if they don't preemptively move quickly to upgrade their own e-Reader products," the analysis firm surmised.

I wonder what would they upgrade their products to, that would prevent them from falling behind?
  • Reply 22 of 98
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Consumers are often waiting for the 'Next Big Thing', and at this moment that's the Apple iPad, and very soon this will take the spotlight...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/m...s-and-de/?s=t5

[/CENTER]

I'll buy one if Microsoft releases it.

Until then iPad for me
  • Reply 23 of 98
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I'll buy one if Microsoft releases it.

Until then iPad for me

[CENTER]Same here, but I'm pretty certain I'll be enjoying both by year's end.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 24 of 98
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

[CENTER]Only time will tell, but...

Even showing these 'conceptual renderings' might be enough to encourage consumers to sit back and wait to see what's on the horizon, and which device best suits their needs.

Which is essentially what's happening with this whole Kindle/iPad situation.[/CENTER]

How do you figure? In one statement you capture the essence of the purpose of vaporware and then compare that to the iPad???

The iPad is not vaporware. You will see them in people's hands after April 3rd.

Ballmer held up something else at CES that was a pretty lame device. Why didn't he hold up the Courier if it's not vaporware?
  • Reply 25 of 98
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Obviously you're not a Mac user. It's not, generally, Apple's style to make things 'pop out' at you. You can rest assured on that.

So, notifications won't show if you're reading?

And now about the topic, iPad and e-ink readers are very different things and with very different targets. If I want mostly read I will buy an e-ink ereader, if I need something more I will buy an iPad.

I won't trade a e-ink reader for a tablet if I want an experience as close as posible to an actual book

P.S. A think that amazes me, is how easy almost everyone in this thread bashes anything that is not Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with.

[CENTER]Really?

http://www.crn.com/retail/221901406;...PSKH4ATMY32JVN

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 28 of 98
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

[CENTER]Really?

[/CENTER]

Maybe if you read the article you would have noticed that they gave no numbers whatsoever:

"Amazon (NSDQ:AMZN).com Inc.'s Kindle has already broke its own monthly sales record for November" "Amazon declined to release Kindle unit sales figures"
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:

[CENTER]Really?

[/CENTER]

yeah. honestly that's not really saying much at all.

The best selling product on Amazon.com doesn't mean anything.

Most products have more than one SKU, a simple headphone probably have 5 different SKUs for different colors. iPods have like 20 SKUs for virtually the same item, because of size and color.

For Kindle it's only two SKUs, one big and one small. It's not hard to become the best selling item on Amazon, considering they are the sole outlet for that item.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

So, notifications won't show if you're reading?

Not if you turn it off, as the iPhone lets you do (and I assume the iPad will). Or, am I missing something?
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:

Not if you turn it off, as the iPhone lets you do (and I assume the iPad will). Or, am I missing something?

But this a concious action, you have to enable or disable notifications like on the iPhone. If you have notifications enabled they will pop up. It's not bad, is how they work.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

yeah. honestly that's not really saying much at all.

The best selling product on Amazon.com doesn't mean anything.

Most products have more than one SKU, a simple headphone probably have 5 different SKUs for different colors. iPods have like 20 SKUs for virtually the same item, because of size and color.

For Kindle it's only two SKUs, one big and one small. It's not hard to become the best selling item on Amazon, considering they are the sole outlet for that item.

Originally Posted by ihxo

[CENTER]"To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with."

The Key Word being 'Interest', which obviously there has been.

'Straw Man' Much?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 33 of 98
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    I have a Kindle DX. I love it. Love the convenience, love the text, love the feel of the thing. I went from reading 1-2 books a year, to same number per month. In fact I just read a 5 book series over the last 2 weeks (The Lost Fleet series for those into sci-fi and very cool space battles). Part of the appeal for the Kindle is the ability to read on the Kindle, My PC, and the iPhone. I can read for an hour easy with the iPhone with no noticeable eyestrain. I attribute this to 2 things. 1) High resolution screen close to my face 2) My text is black and the 'paper' color is a tan. I've tried to read books with the PC Kindle application (using Parallels), and I can't do that for more then 10 minutes before my eyes start wigging out.

Even with my love for the Kindle, I plan on getting the iPad the minute it comes out. I've been screaming for a device like my iPhone but with a bigger screen. The iPad is that and more. I will try reading but plan to keep my Kindle for now. I can't see bringing the iPad to the beach or out in the sun like I do with the Kindle.

What I do like about the iPad as a reader are its options. Amazon, Stanza and the rest would be wise to create buffed up iPad versions of their iPhone apps. The more places you can read content, the more likely I'm to purchase a book from them.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

Exactly. The headline might as well have been: "People prefer $10 bill to $5 bill when offered the choice."

I wonder about the ones still buying the Kindle, though.....

No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks. You can get the Kindle software free for any Windows system and soon for any Mac system.

Amazon doesn't appear to really care if you buy the hardware they simply want the content business.
  • Reply 35 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ihxo

[CENTER]"To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with."

The Key Word being 'Interest', which obviously there has been.

'Straw Man' Much?[/CENTER]

well if you put it that way.

There are people interested in golf. There are people interested in skiing. There are people interested in chess. There are even people interested in 2girls1cup, so of course there are people interested in Kindle.

There is interest for virtually everything.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks. You can get the Kindle software free for any Windows system and soon for any Mac system.

Amazon doesn't appear to really care if you buy the hardware they simply want the content business.

"No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks" at home
  • Reply 37 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

But this a concious action, you have to enable or disable notifications like on the iPhone. If you have notifications enabled they will pop up. It's not bad, is how they work.

Oh, give me a break. If it bothers you turn it off. If it doesn't leave it on. What's the big deal!?
  • Reply 38 of 98
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I almost feel like buying a Kindle out of sympathy...
  • Reply 39 of 98
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

[CENTER]Only time will tell, but...

Even showing these 'conceptual renderings' might be enough to encourage consumers to sit back and wait to see what's on the horizon, and which device best suits their needs.

Which is essentially what's happening with this whole Kindle/iPad situation.[/CENTER]

that the first courier version that had the "book" cover on it has already been version one...so this is concept 2. Car companies at least spend the actually manufacturing cost on a concept, regardless if it goes to production.

microsoft can certainly afford to build a device...though showing renderings is a wholly cheaper endeavor, but it does not convince anyone else they have any plans of building one other than reworking their copied apple canon. It looks even more look like an ipad but with an extra screen and stylus...which is necessary because you will not two hand type on that thing...which goes to show you that they are really fumbling again. With the ipad you will be able to see why apple really put the time in how people are going to use their device, they probably built dozens, and carried them around for days, testing ergonomic and how practical the design had to be, where it would be used.

Microsoft's little screen renderings are worthless...they exist only in the imaginary world of 0's and 1's. How do you test such a thing that is just an abstraction?
  • Reply 40 of 98
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

"No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks" at home

How so? If you have them on your notebook/netbook you can take them anywhere. Also if you want to download away from home if Wifi is available you can do that on your notebook/netbook or you can have 3G on your notebook as easy as you can on your iPad.