Interest in Amazon Kindle wanes following Apple iPad unveiling

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I almost feel like buying a Kindle out of sympathy...

Buy the iPad out of sympathy, Apple cares far more about selling hardware then software. If Amazon was that worried about hardware they wouldn't allow the Kindle software to be downloaded for free.

The members of this forum seem to be the only ones in the world the can't grasp that fact.

Amazon has released Kindle software for Windows, iPhone/Touch and soon OSX. Clearly they aren't worried or concerned about hardware sales.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Buy the iPad out of sympathy, Apple cares far more about selling hardware then software. If Amazon was that worried about hardware they wouldn't allow the Kindle software to be downloaded for free.

The members of this forum seem to be the only ones in the world the can't grasp that fact.

Amazon has released Kindle software for Windows, iPhone/Touch and soon OSX. Clearly they aren't worried or concerned about hardware sales.

and you seem not to grasp that ipad wont need anyone's sympathy. If you saw the potential that penguin books sees in interactive books, you would realize the kindle won't be around for long and their drop in price on ebay shows where the interest is....
  • Reply 43 of 98
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

and you seem not to grasp that ipad wont need anyone's sympathy. If you saw the potential that penguin books sees in interactive books, you would realize the kindle won't be around for long and their drop in price on ebay shows where the interest is....

When I want to read a book I don need any interactive content, I only need a book.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

Peguin books interactive books, yeah thats a big seller. Also lets use your example what function does the iPad have over a notebook that has the Kindle software on it? The answer to that would be nothing.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatLu View Post

They've had the iPhone Kindle App on the App Store for a while now. I use to have a Kindle, but I sold it and use the Kindle App now. Presumably (unless Apple outright bans the app), people will still be able to use that Kindle App on the iPad as well.

i doubt they will. folks will be pissed about not being able to read the stuff they spent money on. that bad feeling will rightly hit Apple square in hits.

plus if they drop the Kindle App, Amazon could have cause to pull abuse on them. and could win. by not pulling the kindle app AND not preloading the ibooks one, it's all user choice. Apple wouldn't be at fault of more folks pick them.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

When I want to read a book I don need any interactive content, I only need a book.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.
  • Reply 47 of 98
    d675d675 Posts: 1member
    I don't think the e-reader survey can be trusted:

45 + 27 + 30 = 102%.

;|
  • Reply 48 of 98
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Same here, but I'm pretty certain I'll be enjoying both by year's end.

[/CENTER]

I'm calling vaporware, but if they do release it before the end of the year I'll buy it.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

It's not comparable adding sound to movies that bringing interactive content to novels.

And I don't think they won't be good in some situations or in some kind of books (terchnical, school books, art books, cinema books), but what can add to a novel?
  • Reply 50 of 98
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

and one day we will wonder how we read before immersive and interactive content...
  • Reply 51 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D675 View Post

I don't think the e-reader survey can be trusted:

45 + 27 + 30 = 102%.

;|

Independent of survey quality or provenance, that is simply a rounding error resulting from the way it is reported, and you know it.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

What makes you think you will not have that option, or even that it will not be a default option? Do you know otherwise?
  • Reply 53 of 98
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Why not just stick with actual books then? Serious question. I can see the advantage of having an e-book reader on holiday, where you could carry a dozen 'books' in the one device, and also the advantages of buying online. However, against that, while it may be closely equivalent the experience is still not the same as the actual printed page, plus of course there is no resale value once you've read it. Also, wandering round bookshops is part of the pleasure isn't it?
  • Reply 54 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What makes you think you will not have that option, or even that it will not be a default option? Do you know otherwise?

My answer out of context is almost meaningless, I was aqrguing about interactive books killing e-readers (and specifically Kindle) when iPad launches. People which owns ereaders, normally, are avid novel readers and I don't whink they will change for interactivity in novels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Why not just stick with actual books then? Serious question. I can see the advantage of having an e-book reader on holiday, where you could carry a dozen 'books' in the one device, and also the advantages of buying online. However, against that, while it may be closely equivalent the experience is still not the same as the actual printed page, plus of course there is no resale value once you've read it. Also, wandering round bookshops is part of the pleasure isn't it?

In my case? It's cheaper an ebook than a physical book, in Spain books have fixed prices and sellers can't discount them. I try to read the books in their original language (mostly English, Italian and French) and it's easier to buy the book at Fictionwise, Amazon or other ebooks retailers than order the book.

An example, Criptonomicon was released in Spanih in 3 volumes at 20€ each ($26 at that time). Now the softcover version is 3 volumes also at 9€ each, search the price in Amazon and you will understand why I try to buy ebooks.

In Spain it's legal circumvect DRM so I buy where it's cheaper and then I convert the book to the format I use.

I had a Sony PRS-505, last week I sold my iRex iLiad and now I'm waiting the delivery of a Nook. If I by an iPad (I think I will wait for 2nd generation) it won't be for reading books if technology doesn't change, I will stick with eink readers (waiting for Mirasol eink)
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:

In my case? It's cheaper an ebook than a physical book, in Spain books have fixed prices and sellers can't discount them. I try to read the books in their original language (mostly English, Italian and French) and it's easier to buy the book at Fictionwise, Amazon or other ebooks retailers than order the book.

An example, Criptonomicon was released in Spanih in 3 volumes at 20? each ($26 at that time). Now the softcover version is 3 volumes also at 9? each, search the price in Amazon and you will understand why I try to buy ebooks.

In Spain it's legal circumvect DRM so I buy where it's cheaper and then I convert the book to the format I use.

I had a Sony PRS-505, last week I sold my iRex iLiad and now I'm waiting the delivery of a Nook. If I by an iPad (I think I will wait for 2nd generation) it won't be for reading books if technology doesn't change, I will stick with eink readers (waiting for Mirasol eink)

Fair enough. Incidentally, re your comment earlier about interactivity and the novel. My first thought was to agree, but then I wondered if it would be possible to augment the novel. Suppose the hero gets on his horse and starts galloping across the windswept heath. As you read the words the sound of the wind and the thundering hooves plays in the background... lol probably a bit fanciful, but then I do love radio drama - thank gawd for the BBC- available online globally (I'm in Portugal). I suppose the point is that there are all kinds of potential creative possibilities here, and I expect we are going to be seeing some amazing things emerge over the next few years. After all, books themselves were new technology once, no doubt much disliked by practitioners of the obsolescing oral tradition.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Peguin books interactive books, yeah thats a big seller. Also lets use your example what function does the iPad have over a notebook that has the Kindle software on it? The answer to that would be nothing.

I can tell you that at home I use my iPhone almost as much as my laptop for quick simple things. Why?

1) Instant on.

2) Uses less power

3) Better at checking simple tasks (weather, movie times, restaurant searches..etc)

4) I don't have to pick up a 4lb thing and open the lid. (sounds ridiculous, but for godsake we even have caller ID on the TV, so we don't have to turn and look at the phone to see who's calling)

5) I need a phone number, address, or email who can call it up faster?

6) Laptops suck for reading. (see my post above)

7) I don't know about you but the iPad Calendar, Address book, and Email clients look better then the OS-X equivalents and launch MUCH faster.

I think some of you are missing the point. The iPad brings the screen MUCH closer, giving you a better viewing position then the MBP that I'm using right now. It's a much more intimate and immersive experience and one of the reasons I don't mind using my iPhone for quick tasks.

As for interactive media, I think many of you are thinking WAAAY too literally. In the beginning I suspect we'll see simple 'upgrades' like inline pictures and video in books/magazines. The future will probably have a much different, possibly better experience. While I don't think traditional books are going away anytime soon, there may be a new paradigm for books and magazines that we haven't seen yet.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    bowserbowser Posts: 89member
    +100

Since I got my 3GS I've found myself more and more carrying it with me as much as possible. My wife gripes about how I'm "always playing with that damn thing" but your point here is spot-on in my case. A quick check for weather, news, etc. is just a few touches away. Plus I got a free calorie/exercise tracking app back in December and have lost 18 lbs. since then. Not because of any issue of willpower... no, because when I have my iPhone in my pocket, I remember more often to log my calories and exercise; never was able to do that before I got the phone.

My wife has been researching a new phone... her colleagues at work laugh at her every time she pulls out the ancient ATT branded slider/brick phone she has. Her boss has approved a new phone for her and now she's starting to say that it seems that the iPhone has a lot more going for it than any droid phone or any crackberry. I'm waiting for when she gets one and starts "playing with the damn thing all the time" so I can tease her about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post

I can tell you that at home I use my iPhone almost as much as my laptop for quick simple things. Why?

1) Instant on.

2) Uses less power

3) Better at checking simple tasks (weather, movie times, restaurant searches..etc)

4) I don't have to pick up a 4lb thing and open the lid. (sounds ridiculous, but for godsake we even have caller ID on the TV, so we don't have to turn and look at the phone to see who's calling)

5) I need a phone number, address, or email who can call it up faster?

6) Laptops suck for reading. (see my post above)

7) I don't know about you but the iPad Calendar, Address book, and Email clients look better then the OS-X equivalents and launch MUCH faster.

I think some of you are missing the point. The iPad brings the screen MUCH closer, giving you a better viewing position then the MBP that I'm using right now. It's a much more intimate and immersive experience and one of the reasons I don't mind using my iPhone for quick tasks.

• Reply 58 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post

While I don't think traditional books are going away anytime soon, there may be a new paradigm for books and magazines that we haven't seen yet.

See my post immediately above yours! It would have to have some sort of eye scanner so it knew what line you were reading, and it would need to wirelessly connect to your surround sound system. So, you are in the haunted house... you can hear rats scurrying around beneath your feet... then behind you a door starts to slowly creak open... It would be great - three-dimensional literature!

NB I will be calling you all as witnesses at that court in East Texas in a few years, so please keep a gap in your diaries...
  • Reply 59 of 98
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Bowser, are you talking about Lose It? That is an unbelievably good program. I lost 20lbs using it last year. Drove my wife crazy, because I could calculate the calories of everything we ate using the recipe function.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

See my post immediately above yours! It would have to have some sort of eye scanner so it knew what line you were reading, and it would need to wirelessly connect to your surround sound system. So, you are in the haunted house... you can hear rats scurrying around beneath your feet... then behind you a door starts to slowly creak open... It would be great - three-dimensional literature!

While that would be cool, I still think there's more potential then that, using the current hardware available. If I could think of it, I definitely wouldn't be posting it on a public forum But I could imagine dynamic books the change based on user input. I can even imagine a return of text adventure games, but on a much more sophisticated level.
  • Reply 60 of 98
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Used Kindles on eBay in April: $175

Used Kindles on eBay in May: $150

Used Kindles on eBay in July: $125

Used Kindles on eBay in October: $100

Used Kindles on eBay in January: $50 or Best Offer

Bullsh*t