Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Comments

• Reply 41 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.

Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right

Hint: AC.

Quote:

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Check under your bed lately? You never know who could be lurking there.

Quote:

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Cite please. O/w, do the decent thing and retract.

Quote:

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

Of course they will. They are not a nonprofit.

Quote:

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

You're not Apple. And thank God for that.

Quote:

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

Apple is doomed!?
  • Reply 42 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

It would be really cool if you could just walk into the Apple store, and walk out with a new device. Maybe they will stock some refurbs at local stores when possible so this could be done.

I have no doubt that Apple will make that happen, if all that was involved for the return/exchange is what was described in the article. I imagine the issue would be whether there are any battery diagnostics involved (e.g., to make sure the person is telling the truth, e.g., not just returning a scratched iPad) and whether stores have the requisite hardware/capabilities.
  • Reply 43 of 222
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Wow... when my friend's battery on her netbook died, they told her too bad(in so many words).
  • Reply 44 of 222
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no doubt that Apple will make that happen, if all that was involved for the return/exchange is what was described in the article. I imagine the issue would be whether there are any battery diagnostics involved (e.g., to make sure the person is telling the truth, e.g., not just returning a scratched iPad) and whether stores have the requisite hardware/capabilities.

Yeah, and given that you are essentially paying the refurb fee, it shouldn't really matter whether or not one is telling the truth about the battery.
  • Reply 45 of 222
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

With the unibody MBP the design of the internal battery removing all of the structure needed for exchangeable batteries allowed for a larger battery with longer battery life.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html

click on "Breakthrough Battery"

yes, that's what I am saying exactly.

Quote:

Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

Ok then, how many e-ink readers have user replaceable batteries? Since you are so smart.
  • Reply 46 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Q: How many here have had to get a new iPhone or iPod Touch battery out of warranty?

Apple's tech uses 1000 charges and since it can go 10 hours on a single charge you'd have to use it every day for 3 years straight before you'd get to 80%. Sure, they have to have a system in place, but It seems unlikely to me that most who need a new battery are likely going to fall under a free replacement from a faulty battery.
  • Reply 47 of 222
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The only way for this devices to be as slim and yield such long battery life is to have an integrated battery, there's simply no other way to do this with a replaceable battery. So your point is irrelevant.

Take a look at the Droid which has replaceable battery and a keyboard and is only 1.4mm thicker. The Nexus one with a removable battery is 0.8mm thinner. And the best looking of the lot, the HTC Legend, with a unibody shell and a neat spring battery cover is 0.9mm thinner. And they all have roughly the same battery life as the iPhone with multi-tasking and better displays.
  • Reply 48 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

....and faster.

The 'week' is just to cover their a** for the back-and-forth shipping time. It'll probably be much sooner than that.

Every time I've sent my Macs in for a repair they've always fixed it and shipped it off the day they received it. That is fixing it, this would just be a swap so it shouldn't be any longer.
  • Reply 49 of 222
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Q: How many here have had to get a new iPhone or iPod Touch battery out of warranty?

Apple's tech uses 1000 charges and since it can go 10 hours on a single charge you'd have to use it every day for 3 years straight before you'd get to 80%. Sure, they have to have a system in place, but It seems unlikely to me that most who need a new battery are likely going to fall under a free replacement from a faulty battery.

This is an excellent point. I charge my iphone 3g every night and it is about 15 months old without any noticeable degradation in battery capacity.
  • Reply 50 of 222
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I see this as Apple 'skating to where the puck is going to be' again. The computing power to electrical power ratio is improving at a decent pace; internal components are getting smaller while the overall form factor has no reason to shrink further allowing more battery space; and battery technology itself is improving at a slowish but steady rate. Within a few years I can see this being the standard model across the whole consumer electronics industry, as the originally installed battery will outlast the life/usefulness of the device.

Quote:

Now that is a good point. Perhaps the advice should read 'Sync your data then erase the SSD before returning to Apple'. Incidentally, does anyone know how totally erasing data from a SSD compares to the multiple overwrites required to fully secure a hard drive?
  • Reply 51 of 222
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right..

Plug it in.
  • Reply 52 of 222
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

It's As Simple As That

no it's not. you're really not seeing it? they're not throwing away the ipads with bad batteries. lots of good stuff in there will be kept.
  • Reply 53 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Take a look at the Droid which has replaceable battery and a keyboard and is only 1.4mm thicker. The Nexus one with a removable battery is 0.8mm thinner. And the best looking of the lot, the HTC Legend, with a unibody shell and a neat spring battery cover is 0.9mm thinner. And they all have roughly the same battery life as the iPhone with multi-tasking and better displays.

Excuse me do any of these batteries power a 9.7" ips display for ten hours of usage?
  • Reply 54 of 222
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The only way for this devices to be as slim and yield such long battery life is to have an integrated battery, there's simply no other way to do this with a replaceable battery. So your point is irrelevant.

People have said you can't get thinner than an iPhone if you don't have a non-replaceable battery.

They were proved dead-wrong with that idiotic assumption.
  • Reply 55 of 222
    Quote:

If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30.

If I had to choose...?

We can all play that game and we'd all have made it at least a little differently to suit our specific needs. If you think it's a deal breaker for many and you can do better there is nothing stopping you or anyone else from making a better tablet, but it seems that with 9 years of iDevices that the removable battery is a pretty much a foolish argument for a consumer device.

I've never had to replace on the spot and the other alternatives for increasing the battery life and charging the device are considerably better than having to swap out batteries. Same goes with the newer Mac notebooks.

Quote:

If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

So the customer has had an iPad for a few years. A device that they've spent at least $500 on the make it or break situation is that an aging device that has been updated several times over is now requiring a whopping $100 for a new battery? Is the battery not working at all? How old is this iPad in your scenario? I've had Mac batteries replaced over 3 years old and well out of warranty for free because they were faulty so I can't see how this would be any different.
  • Reply 56 of 222
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    There are people that are surprised by this?

What is the logic again? Oh yeah: If you want to own the best, it will cost ya!
  • Reply 57 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

People have said you can't get thinner than an iPhone if you don't have a non-replaceable battery.

Are you serious these machines have been released 3 years after the original iphone, battery tec has made some leaps...way to compare...
  • Reply 58 of 222
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

Huh? If you think they are taking the iPad you sent in and tossing it in the trash....

Quote:

It's As Simple As That

It's as simple as you are pretty ignorant on how things work in the real world or you are trolling for controversy.
  • Reply 59 of 222
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I should hope that by 2010 Apple has taught the industry its lesson when it comes to moving parts, sliding covers, and tinker-toy engineering.

http://droidie.com/2009/11/20/the-dr...cover-problem/

Under normal usage, iDevices rarely if ever need their batteries replaced. There is absolutely no reason for a removable battery given today's battery technology.
  • Reply 60 of 222
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

To You...

I have an iPod (dock connector) that was purchased in 2003. The original, non-replceable, battery is still going strong after 7 years and holds a charge for several hours. So no, it's not an issue.