Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I got two thoughts:

1. $105 for a new battery is a bit much, but I guess if it is scratched, bruised and bumped it is not as bad.

2. There are going to be A LOT of refurbished iPads going around for a low low price. That is good news to me.
  • Reply 102 of 222
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Ill-concieved. Who wants someone else's iPad? It could have been owned by someone evil. If they guarantee to give you a brand new one then that's ok.
  • Reply 103 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You misunderstood, I was trying to force it just by manually typing the mark-up. It's not on my panel that I can tell. The markup is disabled, not just the control.

My blank posts was my edit after I saw your edit. I, too, tried to add it manually to verify it was removed after I noticed the icons removed. Heck, I use {color=#e1e1e2}. . .{/color} to delete a post so i'm well versed with the manual markup of vBulletin.
  • Reply 104 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ill-concieved. Who wants someone else's iPad? It could have been owned by someone evil. If they guarantee to give you a brand new one then that's ok.

I think you have a concept for a movie there.
  • Reply 105 of 222
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    The main advantage of non-user-replaceable batteries is that it keeps users from buying non-oem batteries for 1/5 the price. It would be absolutely hilarious to observe fanbois defending any arsgrape by St. Steve if the obscene profits were not used on lawyering to try to force everybody else to be victims too.
  • Reply 106 of 222
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

First of all, stop with that "It's really that simple." nonsense. Once is funny. After that it's just annoying.

If you were actually right, it might mean something, but as it stands, it doesn't.

Do you understand anything about business? A product sold for a price, including profit, full warranty costs, and all the other costs involved, isn't worth nearly that much as a used device to the company, because all of those costs have been paid for with the sale of the new unit. So when Apple takes yours in, replaces the battery, and refurbishes it, they can sell it for more than half the new cost, and still make some money on it. So the $99 bucks pays for the work done to get one back to you, while the old one is now resold for one half to two thirds of the new prices. The only additional cost to Apple is the cost of selling, and the warrantee.

If they use some for warrantee replacements, the same thing applies. Those units have to come from somewhere.

Apple breaks even, or makes a few extra bucks per unit, and you get a factory refurbished one to replace your used one, in addition to a new battery.

You explanation is simply wrong.

I fully understand the entire process, warranty and otherwise, and never said anything about how/why Apple will ultimately profit/benefit from this 'exchange program'.

The only issue I was addressing was that, to the average customer, providing a replacement for a US 500.00 to 830.00 device for a mere US 100.00 could easily give the impression that said device was never really worth the asking price in the first place.

It's really not worth getting all 'hostile' about, but it certainly is something that might raise a few average consumer eyebrows.

Nothing More - Nothing Less
  • Reply 107 of 222
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Huh, I hadn't heard anything, so I don't know what happened.

[center]center[/center]

I guess you're right.

Oh Well... Stuff Happens!
  • Reply 108 of 222
    It appears I'm going to have to learn to change my own iPad battery just as I've done with iPods. I'm not saying the the Apple solution of battery changing is bad, because you may end up with an iPad in better condition than the one you're bringing in. It's just if I wanted to customize my iPad with an owner's engraved inscription, I'd lose that.

I know tech-geeks will be up in arms over this procedure, but I don't think it should matter to most consumers if they have to swap iPads. I'm fairly certain if my iPad had been in good operating condition, I'd just rather attempt my own battery replacement because that's how I do things. I believe Apple can better control the quality of the product by doing a total swap, so I'm really not too concerned. I know how to compromise. I'd also think there would be third party solutions for iPad battery replacement, but that would likely void the warranty.

My iPod batteries lasted longer than the warranty, so if I'd had broke it replacing the battery, I'd just buy a new one. The iPad battery may also outlast the warranty. I'm curious to see if Apple is going to make it really difficult to do a home battery swap on an iPad.
  • Reply 109 of 222
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Users can receive a replacement should their device's battery no longer hold a charge. The service will cost $99 plus an additional $6.95 shipping and applicable taxes.

By the time the average user's battery will no longer hold a charge they'll have already gotten the next iPad, or whatever other device, or would have sold off their iPad, etc.

A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain 80 percent or more of its original capacity during a lifespan of up to 1,000 recharge cycles.

What's the issue here?
  • Reply 110 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

The main advantage of non-user-replaceable batteries is that it keeps users from buying non-oem batteries for 1/5 the price. It would be absolutely hilarious to observe fanbois defending any arsgrape by St. Steve if the obscene profits were not used on lawyering to try to force everybody else to be victims too.

If that was the reason they you'd expect all batteries to use proprietary connectors to prevent others from making 3rd-party batteries, but that isn't the case.

I also have to wonder why Apple increased the usable lifetime of their batteries if their underlying reasons are just to make a few extra bucks off 3rd-party batteries. Why make a battery that had 300 usable charges now have 1000. That fact counteracts your theory.
  • Reply 111 of 222
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's the issue here?

The issue is people just love belly-aching about everything iPad.

The day the iPad comes out, iFixit and others will post tear down reports about it. Within 3 months, there will be chinese suppliers selling $20 iPad battery replacements with instructions on how to tear it apart so the cheapskates and whiners who don't want someone else's iPad for $105, can do it themselves and screw it up themselves.

How many times do we have to have the same discussion with every Apple product announced?
  • Reply 112 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Let's see....

I send in my heavily used iPad to have the bad battery replaced. Apple sends me a replacement that has been thoroughly checked out and has a new battery. Also gone are the case and glass scratches. BTW - I've never received a refurbished iDevice that did not look brand new. Apple takes my old one and refurbishes it to "like new" condition and sells it for a profit. I'm happy because I got a like new device that is in better shape than my old one. Apple is happy because they made money. Who looses? Nobody!

Go away you Troll.

You have been added to my ignore list.

I agree with you. I think a total swap could be a good thing because it would keep the overall quality of the device higher for the average non-tech consumer. I'd recently purchased a refurb 24" iMac from the Apple Store and I swear I could not tell it was used because I inspected it all over and it appeared to be brand new. It was flawless and has been running perfectly, 24/7 since I bought it in September of last year.

I think people tend to get worked up whenever they hear about paying money for a battery replacement. $100 for parts and labor doesn't seem too out of line in this day and age. I wonder if all tablets will have user replaceable batteries or will the iPad be the only exception. We'll see if this battery swap procedure will bother the average consumer that much. I doubt it.
  • Reply 113 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The issue is people just love belly-aching about everything iPad.

The day the iPad comes out, iFixit and others will post tear down reports about it. Within 3 months, there will be chinese suppliers selling $20 iPad battery replacements with instructions on how to tear it apart so the cheapskates and whiners who don't want someone else's iPad for $105, can do it themselves and screw it up themselves.

How many times do we have to have the same discussion with every Apple product announced?

I just don't get it.

The iPad 1,000 recharge cycle is the same as that of a current Macbook Pro. That's what, 5 years? And even when the user reaches that threshold, it'll still hold 80% charge. That's three times longer than typical notebook batteries. And you can plug it in when you like, too.

I don't see why this minor detail about the iPad merits all this complaining.
  • Reply 114 of 222
    Quote:

I just don't get it.

The iPad 1,000 recharge cycle is the same as that of a current Macbook Pro. That's what, 5 years? And even when the user reaches that threshold, it'll still hold 80% charge. That's three times longer than typical notebook batteries. And you can plug it in when you like, too.

I don't see why this minor detail about the iPad merits all this complaining.

If this article didn't come up these same complainers would be on here saying how Apple doesn't even offer a battery replacement option, then they'd claim that Apple is trying to force you to buy another iPad when your battery dies as a way to make more money off the Kool-Aid drinking iSheep. I don't think it matters what the article is about Apple will always being wrong.
  • Reply 115 of 222
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

What they don't say in the support doc is for how long after purchase the policy will stand. Will they honor it once the iPad is out of warrantee or AppleCare?

Since the battery is covered under the one year warranty why would it not be honored after the warranty expires?
  • Reply 116 of 222
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainyDayInterns View Post

huh? You GET another iPad...you do know that? The only difference is it has a new battery. In all likelihood, you get a NEW iPad. How is that a bad deal? Really...

Very doubtful it will be brand new.

In all likelihood, it will be refurbished iPad others have turned in for battery replacement or other warranty issues.
  • Reply 117 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Very doubtful it will be brand new.

In all likelihood, it will be refurbished iPad others have turned in for battery replacement or other warranty issues.

Unless it's an exceptional situation I doubt it'll even matter by that time. They'll likely have already upgraded or sold it off. They'll be getting new devices. We're talking around 5 years here. And even by that time it'll still hold 80% charge for a while.
  • Reply 118 of 222
    Quote:

Users can receive a replacement should their device's battery no longer hold a charge. The service will cost $99 plus an additional $6.95 shipping and applicable taxes.

By the time the average user's battery will no longer hold a charge they'll have already gotten the next iPad, or whatever other device, or would have sold off their iPad, etc.

A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain 80 percent or more of its original capacity during a lifespan of up to 1,000 recharge cycles.

What's the issue here?

This seems like a non issue. I have to agree with you on this. By the time someones battery goes bad its going to be time to get a new iPad. Someone is going to try and tell me that 3-4 years down the line the technology isn't going to change enough where they aren't going to want a new iPad anyways?
  • Reply 119 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This seems like a non issue. I have to agree with you on this. By the time someones battery goes bad its going to be time to get a new iPad. Someone is going to try and tell me that 3-4 years down the line the technology isn't going to change enough where they aren't going to want a new iPad anyways?

Who knows. By that time there might be a new Apple iProduct of some kind, taking the paradigm even further, i.e., iPod ---> iPod Touch.
  • Reply 120 of 222
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I agree with you. I think a total swap could be a good thing because it would keep the overall quality of the device higher for the average non-tech consumer. I'd recently purchased a refurb 24" iMac from the Apple Store and I swear I could not tell it was used because I inspected it all over and it appeared to be brand new. It was flawless and has been running perfectly, 24/7 since I bought it in September of last year.

I think people tend to get worked up whenever they hear about paying money for a battery replacement. $100 for parts and labor doesn't seem too out of line in this day and age. I wonder if all tablets will have user replaceable batteries or will the iPad be the only exception. We'll see if this battery swap procedure will bother the average consumer that much. I doubt it.

I'm extremely interested to see the iFixit teardown report when it comes out. I wonder if it will even be feasable to replace the battery yourself.