Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Comments

• Reply 121 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who knows. By that time there might be a new Apple iProduct of some kind, taking the paradigm even further, i.e., iPod ---> iPod Touch.

Absolutely! This is practically guaranteed. I tend to feel like 2-3 years is a good span for an "upgrade" to a "next step" experience; you can drag it out to 4 years, but then you're starting to get into the next cycle.

With all of our family Macs, we had gaps of at least 6 years between new machines (not counting a beige G3 bought reconditioned toward the end of 2000). That's a bloody long time, and you miss a lot of "progress" by waiting so long. Therefore, each new machine felt like it came from another planet and left the older model(s) in the dust. My most recent upgrade was an early-2008 iMac, preceded by a 2002 G4 "Quicksilver." I won't be waiting so long again. (I'll pull the trigger on the next iMac refresh, probably, or a Mac Pro, once the software I use can take efficient advantage of so many cores. The fingers be a-tappin'...)

I have a feeling that the iPad will undergo some rapid improvements, as long as they can develop faster processors while retaining the same energy efficiency. We just have to wait for the initial surge to relax and let Apple decide where they want to go with it.
  • Reply 122 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who knows. By that time there might be a new Apple iProduct of some kind, taking the paradigm even further, i.e., iPod ---> iPod Touch.

I agree. When talking 3-5 years in technology that is like a lifetime. As far as the battery the only time I want a user replaceable battery is when I can buy an extended life battery. When you already have something that will last 10+ hours there is simply no need at all for a user replaceable battery.

Also a bit off topic but fairly important for those that are upset about the 4:3 aspect ratio, when watching a movie in landscape mode all you have to do is tap the iPad and the movie goes into fullscreen mode.

Check out this demo its one of the better ones I have seen on the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g92Yg79Of1s
  • Reply 123 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I agree with you. I think a total swap could be a good thing because it would keep the overall quality of the device higher for the average non-tech consumer. I'd recently purchased a refurb 24" iMac from the Apple Store and I swear I could not tell it was used because I inspected it all over and it appeared to be brand new. It was flawless and has been running perfectly, 24/7 since I bought it in September of last year.

One of the seriously-unadvertised "bonuses" of being an Apple user is the whole "refurbished" process. The company does a phenomenal job reconditioning their "used" (in one way or another) products -- if only "certified used car" meant the same thing as "Apple refurbished!"

One other consideration: this gives Apple a great deal of (read: total) control over the whole "battery disposal" issue.
  • Reply 124 of 222
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Absolutely! This is practically guaranteed. I tend to feel like 2-3 years is a good span for an "upgrade" to a "next step" experience; you can drag it out to 4 years, but then you're starting to get into the next cycle.

I have a feeling that the iPad will undergo some rapid improvements, as long as they can develop faster processors while retaining the same energy efficiency. We just have to wait for the initial surge to relax and let Apple decide where they want to go with it.

Totally agree on this. What most of the people who are complaining about the exchange is about the time the battery fails, its time to upgrade anyway. However, should you take Apple up on replacing the battery for $100, you will get a refurb and you would have had around 4 years of use of your old iPad. Your refurb will last for about another 4 years--so what's the issue--its a really a great deal. I got a refurbed MPB and it was like new.

If you have Apple Care you are protected for two years on the battery so if it fails before then you get a refurb at no cost. See my post @ #11. Can't complain about Apple Care.
  • Reply 125 of 222
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you have a concept for a movie there.

Apologize if someone else did it but it would be "Idle iPads" n'est ce pas?
  • Reply 126 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So let me get this straight. We had this battery argument with the iPod. We had this battery argument with the iPhone. And now we're having this battery argument with the iPad? Same arguments, same impasse, same predictions, same name calling. How stupid can it get anyway?

Hmmmm, let's see:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crysisrules

Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it

Apparently very, very stupid.
  • Reply 127 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyrisrules View Post

Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apparently very, very stupid.

You should forgive cyrisrules even though he/she is making a fool of himself/herself, its his/hers first post. Welcome to AI -- We're one big happy family
  • Reply 128 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So let me get this straight. We had this battery argument with the iPod. We had this battery argument with the iPhone. And now we're having this battery argument with the iPad? Same arguments, same impasse, same predictions, same name calling. How stupid can it get anyway?

Same trolls on the same message boards getting the same amount of indifference from admins on every thread. Same same same.
  • Reply 129 of 222
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:

My blank posts was my edit after I saw your edit. I, too, tried to add it manually to verify it was removed after I noticed the icons removed. Heck, I use {color=#e1e1e2}. . .{/color} to delete a post so i'm well versed with the manual markup of vBulletin.

Why not write "(deleted)" or something like that, it would be easier to understand...
  • Reply 130 of 222
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

You should forgive cyrisrules even though he/she is making a fool of himself/herself, its his/hers first post. Welcome to AI -- We're one big happy family

stupidity should not be so easily forgiven. Life is far too short to waste time being stupid.

Way too much apology for stupidity in society today, IMHO.
  • Reply 131 of 222
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    This thread is a perfect example of the freakish paranoia out there. Everybody needs to just relax and let life happen.
  • Reply 132 of 222
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

It's As Simple As That

You seem to have an incredibly hard time getting your head round the fact they your unit is replaced for a fee of $100. You don't get to keep your old iPad they take it. So you will actually have paid $600 - $930 for your iPad.
  • Reply 133 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Why not write "(deleted)" or something like that, it would be easier to understand...

I'm not sure how. No text to read over some text to read that means nothing to the topic? I'll go with the no text to read.
  • Reply 134 of 222
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Says a lot about how much the actual hardware is worth... \

Not really, as posted, if sold refurbished they regain some of the cost but Apple may take a small hit for a short while. A very nice gesture especially if one were to get a newer updated model at some point. I would only hope the agreement does stipulate you get a 'new' one in return not a refurbished one.
  • Reply 135 of 222
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm guessing those iPads taken in will subsequently be re-sold on their refurbished store.

I don't think that they will be re-sold per se.

It doesn't may economical sense. It appears that Apple has well thought this out ahead of time and that the disassembly and replace battery is extremely efficient under qualified service people.

I would suggest that the qualified replacement case will be popped open and trashed. Otherwise there will be a continuous argument over how 'good' of a shape the iPad looked when it was handed in.

Secondly, the battery will be popped out and sent for proper disposal.

Thirdly, a new battery will be popped in

Fourthly, the unit will be tested and completed in a new case.
  • Reply 136 of 222
    Quote:

Says a lot about how much the actual hardware is worth... \

Quote:

Really?

So I pay US 830.00 for a device that can be replaced for a mere US 100.00, and all's Even -Steven - \

Quote:

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

It's As Simple As That

Quote:

No one said that they were 'chucking them away', (that was your misinterpretation of what was posted) - only that it leads one to believe that the actual value of the device is but US 100.00 regardless of features/capacity, which it certainly does -

Quote:

Nope... Just that the hardware was never actually worth US 500.00 to 830.00 in the first place if it can so readily be replaced for US 100.00.

It's Really That Simple -

Quote:

I fully understand the entire process, warranty and otherwise, and never said anything about how/why Apple will ultimately profit/benefit from this 'exchange program'.

The only issue I was addressing was that, to the average customer, providing a replacement for a US 500.00 to 830.00 device for a mere US 100.00 could easily give the impression that said device was never really worth the asking price in the first place.

It's really not worth getting all 'hostile' about, but it certainly is something that might raise a few average consumer eyebrows.

Nothing More - Nothing Less

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

stupidity should not be so easily forgiven. Life is far too short to waste time being stupid.

Way too much apology for stupidity in society today, IMHO.

Yeh, you're right, some people just don't get it right after 390 posts. Liked it better when the above centered his/hers posts--easier to ignore. Oh well, another one for my ignore list.
  • Reply 137 of 222
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    The real problem is that this is like the iPhone battery replacement: they will not unconditionally replace the unit for $99. If there is any damage of any kind (including a "discolored" connector, which to them suggests water damage), the unit is not considered "equivalent" to an unabused, used iPad, and thus Apple will refuse to replace it. You will have to buy a completely new unit.

Even though, if the battery were user-replaceable, you could replace the battery regardless of the condition of the unit.
  • Reply 138 of 222
    Why is this news, and why are so many people confused about it?

This is EXACTLY what they do for iPods.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

So, yes, they will refurbish and resell your old iPad.

The iPad they send you with the new battery may be either new (unlikely) or refurbished.

(From item 6 in the iPod service page here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/faq/

"Replacement iPods may be new or refurbished.")

And yes, there will be aftermarket sources that may provide cheaper or better or self-install batteries, just like there are for iPods.
  • Reply 139 of 222
    Quote:

To You...

Because you destroy stuff! I have had an ORIGINAL iPhone and not ONE problem! Just people like you who cant seem to own anything but destroy it! Give you something and it's broke in a week because of just harsh treatment... some people just don't know how to treat stuff. Your toys were broke when you were a kid most likely too!
  • Reply 140 of 222
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I think you have a concept for a movie there.

Already done... called "Christine" by Stephen King... You know where that guy buys that used iPad er 1950's classic red automobile that turns out to be "EVIL" and won't let the guy driver date girls and gets rid of the trolls er bullies... and has to go back to the junk er refurbished yard!

The iPad will soon be loose... badmouthing trolls beware.... Muahahahahahaha </sarcasm>