Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

Go for it. In the mean time I will take the slimmer, stronger and lighter device with the integrated battery. If the battery does need replacement I'll take it to Apple or do it myself. It's doubtful will have to worry about it, though. My 20GB 2nd generation iPod works just fine after years of use, my fifth generation iPod video that I still use, and of course my iPhone.

A friend wanted to upgrade her iPod so we slipped a hard drive and larger battery in there while we were at it - a pretty simple process.

Quote:

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

It's simply not an issue for the vast majority of people and I sincerely doubt out it's even a factor in a buying decision for those who would actually every buy the product (as apposed to those who troll internet forums and fret about non-existant problems for products they would never buy in the first place).

Oh, and as for data - I think it will be safe to assume the iPad will be like the 3GS and all content encrypted - I would just do a restore on it before sending it on. That erases the encryption key for the rest of the device thus making the rest of the data on it inaccessible. Not a big deal, and part of the instructions on the page.
  • Reply 62 of 222
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Pls stop quoting trolls.

This a great move and exactly how it should be, for iPads and iPhones, and iPods alike. These batteries rarely need replacing, and when they do, you immediately get a new device. Awesome.
  • Reply 63 of 222
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

So I pay US 830.00 for a device that can be replaced for a mere US 100.00, and all's Even -Steven - \

How do you figure that?

Say you bought the 64GB 3G iPad for 829.00, and you just paid Apple $100.00 for "replacement" battery and you get another "new" same make and model iPad.

Apple replaces battery and sells your original same make and model iPad that you paid $829.00 online at a refurbished discount price of 15% off retail price, or for around $704.65... add your $100.00 to that and Apple collected $804.65 or only $24.35 less than what they would have gotten for a brand new iPad.

So Apple is out two same make and model iPads, but collected for them, one for $829.00 and the other for $804.65.

Just a scenario, but I don't see Apple incurring that great of a loss... or the iPad being less devalued...
  • Reply 64 of 222
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I had to choose...?

I've never had to replace on the spot and the other alternatives for increasing the battery life and charging the device are considerably better than having to swap out batteries. Same goes with the newer Mac notebooks.

Exactly, battery technology ie lithium polymer batteries last longer than the older lithium and NiCad or NiH batteries. Apple makes a good argument that removing the battery compartment in the MBP for exchangeable batteries has allowed them to use larger LiP batteries with longer battery life. I suspect that they also ported over the adaptive charging that is used in the new MBP that will increase battery longevity. According to Apple the battery--at least in the MBP should last four to five years. Within that time you might be looking for an upgrade in your iPad anyways.

Having a exchangeable battery would have made the iPad more thicker,have less battery life and be heavier. With a 10 hour battery life, how many batteries would you carry?
  • Reply 65 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Nope... Just that the hardware was never actually worth US 500.00 to 830.00 in the first place if it can so readily be replaced for US 100.00.

It's Really That Simple -

First of all, stop with that "It's really that simple." nonsense. Once is funny. After that it's just annoying.

If you were actually right, it might mean something, but as it stands, it doesn't.

Do you understand anything about business? A product sold for a price, including profit, full warranty costs, and all the other costs involved, isn't worth nearly that much as a used device to the company, because all of those costs have been paid for with the sale of the new unit. So when Apple takes yours in, replaces the battery, and refurbishes it, they can sell it for more than half the new cost, and still make some money on it. So the $99 bucks pays for the work done to get one back to you, while the old one is now resold for one half to two thirds of the new prices. The only additional cost to Apple is the cost of selling, and the warrantee.

If they use some for warrantee replacements, the same thing applies. Those units have to come from somewhere.

Apple breaks even, or makes a few extra bucks per unit, and you get a factory refurbished one to replace your used one, in addition to a new battery.

You explanation is simply wrong.
  • Reply 66 of 222
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Exactly, battery technology ie lithium polymer batteries last longer than the older lithium and NiCad or NiH batteries. Apple makes a good argument that removing the battery compartment in the MBP for exchangeable batteries has allowed them to use larger LiP batteries with longer battery life. I suspect that they also ported over the adaptive charging that is used in the new MBP that will increase battery longevity. According to Apple the battery--at least in the MBP should last four to five years. Within that time you might be looking for an upgrade in your iPad anyways.

Having a exchangeable battery would have made the iPad more thicker,have less battery life and be heavier. With a 10 hour battery life, how many batteries would you carry?

Not that my reply is iPad specific but my 'el cheapo' cell phone battery of six years ago is still recharging fine. If todays battery technology is new and improved, I think I would have no worries about the iPad battery replacement program because outside of a faulty battery product to begin with, I doubt I would ever have the need for iPad battery replacement... before time is up and I purchase a new and improved iPad with newer battery technology six to eight years later...
  • Reply 67 of 222
    Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it
  • Reply 68 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.

Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Unless the battery is shorted, you plug it in and sync it, then go to the system preferences and wipe it. Even if the battery is shorted, you can at least go from a backup that's only a bit older, from the previous sync. If you're that worried about getting data yanked and you can't power it up, you might be able to replace the battery yourself.

Quote:

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Which survey?

Quote:

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

Show me a company that isn't making money on replacement batteries.

Quote:

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

The issue is durability. Latches, catches and the frame for the battery all take space and all can break. The latch on my previous phone cracked, so I used packing tape to hold the battery in place.
  • Reply 69 of 222
    Quote:

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

You should know that the device, like all other competently designed devices, will work with a dead battery as long as it's plugged into the usb port of the computer where you also sync it. If someone waits until the battery is fully dead, that's not too bright.

You should also wipe all personal stuff first. This should always be SOP.

If you don't, then that's not smart. People are people and there's no point in taking chances.

Apple's likely making a small profit on the exchange. I would expect them to. Do companies make a profit on the batteries they sell? I hope so.

Will you get a new unit. Maybe, early on, if there's a problem with an individual battery and not enough referbs are available. But don't expect it.

We keep hearing how desirable replaceable batteries are from a small few. But the truth is that almost no one ever does replace their battery. If this battery is of the same type as the ones in the laptops, then it will be good for 1,000 full recharges. That's at least three years of recharging, possibly four. Most people will have replaced it with another by then.
  • Reply 70 of 222
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfriese1 View Post

Pardon me but doesn't the iPad not release for about another 3 weeks? And already there's a battery issue? What's going to pop up after release?

Haven't you heard? iPads are shutting down spontaneously after 5 minutes of use. And they haven't even been released yet.
  • Reply 71 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyrisrules View Post

Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it

Logic free post.

So if your battery is running down after several years, they should do a recall?

Why do you think manufacturers have replaceable batteries/ Because theirs never go bad after several years? All batteries go bad. Apple is simply giving you a referb with a new battery.
  • Reply 72 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The issue is durability. Latches, catches and the frame for the battery all take space and all can break. The latch on my previous phone cracked, so I used packing tape to hold the battery in place.

The Nexus One cover seems pretty good for a phone but that doesn't negate the physical world issues that still remain with any removable panels.

This is how you resolve a Droid battery cover issue...

Took my phone to the Verizon store, and this is their solution.

It's better than what the original rep tried to do, which is put scotch tape on it.

IMO, for a $200 phone, this is unacceptable."
    PS: I just noticed the Align Center option is gone. And here I though DaHarder decided to be considerate on his own free will.
  • Reply 73 of 222
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Why not? When you tether it, it draws power from the laptop/desktop. Have you ever used an iPod before?

My 2004 iPod mini with a completely dead battery continues to work in my car because it's plugged in.
  • Reply 74 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Why not? When you tether it, it draws power from the laptop/desktop. Have you ever used an iPod before?

My 2004 iPod mini with a completely dead battery continues to work in my car because it's plugged in.

Right?! If it won't work plugged in then the battery ain't your biggest issue.
  • Reply 75 of 222
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is Apple is exchanging the device due to the difficulty of actually removing the battery. This comes to mind because of some patents Apple had submitted a year or two ago that detailed an assembly method that involved bonding everything together to form a unitized unit. This could potentially lead to a stronger iPad.

As to the on going discussion about the value of the iPad well it really doesn't indicate anything. The only thing I have to say is that Apple hasn't given up it's profit margin on the device. In fact I think they are doing really well. So maybe the $99 represents half the cost to produce the unit.

Dave
  • Reply 76 of 222
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Wow... when my friend's battery on her netbook died, they told her too bad(in so many words).

So this is another way that the iPad makes those netbooks look Sick! Who would ever buy one of those?
  • Reply 77 of 222
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Could have at least mentioned the fact that the battery is covered for a year. Endgadget did the same thing.
  • Reply 78 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Could have at least mentioned the fact that the battery is covered for a year. Endgadget did the same thing.

I would think that is common knowledge since that is the typical warranty time of CE.

However, batteries tend to get a longer, unspoken warranty time since any issues like bloating can potentially lead to a fire or an explosion, or at the very least damage of other parts of the device, which makes Apple et. al very quick to swap them out no questions ask.
  • Reply 79 of 222
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Says a lot about how much the actual hardware is worth... \

Not really. Says more about how much they can expect to recover after refurbishing the original iPad and selling it.
  • Reply 80 of 222
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfriese1 View Post

Pardon me but doesn't the iPad not release for about another 3 weeks? And already there's a battery issue? What's going to pop up after release?

Something about "planning ahead" would seem to apply.