39% of BlackBerry owners say they'd switch to an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

If only it were that simple.

Yeah, I know. I was just daydreaming

AT&T uses GSM, which is by far the most common technology for mobile devices in the world. I think something like 80 percent of mobile networks run on GSM worldwide. That's why Apple can sell the iPhone all over the planet. T-Mobile also uses GSM, so in theory you could get your iPhone to work on the T-Mobile network with the right SIM chip....

I'm no wireless expert, by far. But if you made me place a bet, I'd say the odds are 60 percent there will be a new iPhone in late June/early July, but that it will still be GSM-only. It may be carrier unlocked, so it can work on T-Mobile and the thousand and one regional GSM networks in the US, but it won't be dual-standard. I give it a 40 percent chance that Apple will break their three-year tradition and not release a new iPhone this summer at all, just new software for all iPhones.

But I'd say the odds are very high ? virtually certain ? that there will be a dual-standard iPhone in 2011, maybe as early as the first quarter. Apple just has to wait for the chip manufacturers to get their technology working and shipping on a large scale.

But what do I know. I'm just a guy on the Internet.

Do you really think there's a 40% chance Apple will skip a new iPhone model this summer? I don't know about that. I think in all likelihood, we'll see a gen 4 iPhone this June/July right on schedule.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

No physical keyboard, no tethering and stuck with AT&T?

Baloney. I have an iPhone and I'm not getting another one. No matter how much koolaid I ingest, I can't justify a smart phone that can't make phone calls.

I'll be first in line when apple partners with a provider that has coverage where I live and work.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly whereabouts in NJ are you (I'm assuming you're in NJ based on your name)? I regularly travel along 80, 280 and 287 in Northern NJ and my coverage is perfectly fine. Of course, this is just one example, but I would have guessed that NJ was covered pretty well.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Out of the 1k something users they polled, only 93 were blackberry users.

This has already been discussed on numerous other sites, when you don't have a large enough sample size, your statistics don't mean shit...basic statistics here folks.

In other words, this poll and post are bunk.

Now post something interesting actually, like all the slew of Windows Phone 7 Series info that came out yesterday. Or is AI pissed cause MS is doing it right and can't come up with a negative way to spin the story?
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

But what do I know. I'm just a guy on the Internet.

lol. But you're the guy with useful information instead of the standard "my stuff is l33t and pwns ur stuff" drivel. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 65 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, roughly whereabouts in NJ are you (I'm assuming you're in NJ based on your name)? I regularly travel along 80, 280 and 287 in Northern NJ and my coverage is perfectly fine. Of course, this is just one example, but I would have guessed that NJ was covered pretty well.

Paramus. And I work in Hoboken. The coverage literally changes from town to town.

Once I had a problem with the phone and they gave me another one. I was really excited to see if there would be any improvement. There was not. Dead spots in exactly the same places.

What's really interesting is that coverage in Hoboken literally dies off during evening rush hour and comes back after. Is it call volume? Or does AT&T throttle down their bandwith? Either was I can't make a phone call so I just stand there looking "cool" with my sexy iPhone while everyone else makes calls on their smartphones.
  • Reply 66 of 100
    Quote:

Paramus. And I work in Hoboken. The coverage literally changes from town to town.

Once I had a problem with the phone and they gave me another one. I was really excited to see if there would be any improvement. There was not. Dead spots in exactly the same places.

What's really interesting is that coverage in Hoboken literally dies off during evening rush hour and comes back after. Is it call volume? Or does AT&T throttle down their bandwith? Either was I can't make a phone call so I just stand there looking "cool" with my sexy iPhone while everyone else makes calls on their smartphones.

Wow, I would have thought that the coverage in Bergen & Hudson counties would be better than that. Sounds like Hoboken is suffering from the same thing as NYC. IMO, sounds like call volume during rush hour. I doubt they are throttling bandwidth. I've heard stories about improvements in the SF area, you'd think they'd have made some headway in the NYC area as well.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rocut View Post

Are you surprised that 24% of iPhone users are ready to bail for the Android as well?

Most surprising is that 92% of iPhone users are "ready to bail" for another iPhone while simultaneously 24% of iPhone users are also "ready to bail" for an Android!

(Can you say, "Poorly designed survey question"?)

What I find interesting is the numbers of people (n) in the survey group.

Of smart phone users who responded:

n=189 (33.6%) own iPhones

n=184 (32.7%) own other smart phones

n=159 (28.2%) own Blackberry

n= 31 (5.5%) own Android

Things look good for Apple.

Things don't look good for Blackberry.

Android users are such a small group, I think they their intentions are probably not very indicative or significant at this point.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Out of the 1k something users they polled, only 93 were blackberry users.

This has already been discussed on numerous other sites, when you don't have a large enough sample size, your statistics don't mean shit...basic statistics here folks.

In other words, this poll and post are bunk.

Now post something interesting actually, like all the slew of Windows Phone 7 Series info that came out yesterday. Or is AI pissed cause MS is doing it right and can't come up with a negative way to spin the story?

Doing it right, like they did the Zune HD? I'm sure you can go into any Best Buy in the country and see desks and tables being propped up with that exciting and innovative product. Can't wait 'till the Courier comes out, so we can see if one Courier can prop up as much as possibly two or three Zunes...
  • Reply 69 of 100
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Most surprising is that 92% of iPhone users are "ready to bail" for another iPhone while simultaneously 24% of iPhone users are also "ready to bail" for an Android!

(Can you say, "Poorly designed survey question"?)

What I find interesting is the numbers of people (n) in the survey group.

Of smart phone users who responded:

n=189 (33.6%) own iPhones

n=184 (32.7%) own other smart phones

n=159 (28.2%) own Blackberry

n= 31 (5.5%) own Android

Things look good for Apple.

Things don't look good for Blackberry.

Android users are such a small group, I think they their intentions are probably not very indicative or significant at this point.

This is a small sample size, however if you want more information on the survey and how it was conducted :

http://www.crowdscience.com/blog/art...attles_iphone/
  • Reply 70 of 100
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

Doing it right, like they did the Zune HD? I'm sure you can go into any Best Buy in the country and see desks and tables being propped up with that exciting and innovative product. Can't wait 'till the Courier comes out, so we can see if one Courier can prop up as much as possibly two or three Zunes...

Microsoft never innovate's. They just copy copy copy. mad::
  • Reply 71 of 100
    [QUOTE=mobycat;1591634]I'm sorry... 39% does NOT amount to "nearly half." (If you insist on using terms like that, it would be more correct to say "just over one third.")/QUOTE]

Actually 39% does not equal "nearly half."

But given:

39% "Definitely or Probably will switch to iPhone"

31% "Definitely or Probably will NOT switch to iPhone"

and

30% "may or may not switch to iPhone"

You can logically say, "More users than not would be likely to switch to iPhone" (which is more than half.)

Of course, because the survey was so poorly designed by a moron, you could say nearly the same thing about people switching to another Android phone. So more than half of BB users will get an iPhone, more than half will get another Android phone, and none will get a BB (because that question wasn't even asked!)

Lies and statistics!
  • Reply 72 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

Aww, you mad? Digging at the zune when I said WP7S? It's pretty unanimous that ZHD is a better PMP (even macrumors agrees) but when you factor in apps and MS lack of opening the Marketplace for it, well it killed it. Clearly sales were enough to bring in round 2 later this year.

Now stick to what I said. I mean I don't remember posting anything about the ZHD or Courier
  • Reply 73 of 100
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:

I mean I don't remember posting anything about the ZHD or Courier

The Zune has a horrible OLED screen. The courier is just vaporwear.

If you love Microsoft so much, then go to a Microsoft forum instead of whining here.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

This is a small sample size, however if you want more information on the survey and how it was conducted :

http://www.crowdscience.com/blog/art...attles_iphone/

The "survey" is crap designed by a moron. The sample size is a minor problem compared to the survey design. It was designed so poorly it can tell us nothing of use. Take a look at what I posted immediately above to see what I mean.

I consider surveys (and site intercept surveys in particular) to to pretty blunt instruments, but in the hands of unsophisticated surveyors (and interpreters) they are especially so. This survey is just a provocative tool to make people aware of their site intercept survey business.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    Quote:

Wow, I would have thought that the coverage in Bergen & Hudson counties would be better than that. Sounds like Hoboken is suffering from the same thing as NYC. IMO, sounds like call volume during rush hour. I doubt they are throttling bandwidth. I've heard stories about improvements in the SF area, you'd think they'd have made some headway in the NYC area as well.

You would think Bergen had good coverage if you looked at the 3G coverage map. In fact there is a class action lawsuit on this matter.

I had AT&T ten years ago. With few exceptions they have the same dead zones as they always have. Fairlawn, Garfield, Hawthorne, Ramsey to name a few. We did get a new antenna in Glen Rock I will admit.

Go inside a building and get ten feet from a window and you can forget about it. Doctors office, shopping mall. No penetration.

What gets me is when I drop a call, I often have a full five bars. I know the battery indicator on the 3G phone is not accurate. If I go in a tunnel the indicator takes a full minute to reflect it.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    Quote:

You would think Bergen had good coverage if you looked at the 3G coverage map. In fact there is a class action lawsuit on this matter.

I had AT&T ten years ago. With few exceptions they have the same dead zones as they always have. Fairlawn, Garfield, Hawthorne, Ramsey to name a few. We did get a new antenna in Glen Rock I will admit.

Go inside a building and get ten feet from a window and you can forget about it. Doctors office, shopping mall. No penetration.

What gets me is when I drop a call, I often have a full five bars. I know the battery indicator on the 3G phone is not accurate. If I go in a tunnel the indicator takes a full minute to reflect it.

I'm not trying to contradict you, but my experience with AT&T seems to be a polar opposite of yours. I'm currently sitting in my basement office with no windows and am getting a full 5 bars of 3G signal strength. Though I don't venture into malls all that often, the few times I do, my phone works just fine. I recently had a lengthy conversation outside the Brookstone store in the Rockaway mall without a problem. I rarely have problems inside stores with the exception of my local home depot where the phone will not work in the back of the building away from the entrance. Again, I'm not saying I don't drop calls (cause I do occasionally), but it's no more frequent than it was with Verizon. It's just interesting, because based on my experience, you'd think AT&T was great, but based on yours, it pretty much sucks. Makes you wonder where it really falls in actuality.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

When I visit my parents in Garfield I've never had issues with reception. Unless you are talking about 3G which I can't confirm 'cause I'm old school. I still have 1st gen iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    Quote:

It's pretty unanimous that ZHD is a better PMP

What does "PMP" stand for? I gather that "ZHD" means "Zune," but I'm drawing a blank on your other three-letter acronym.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:

I'm not trying to contradict you, but my experience with AT&T seems to be a polar opposite of yours. I'm . . .etc.

I have read a good bit about how ATT is finally really working hard on improving service in NY and San Fran. I imagine they are taking a triage approach, and I image customer satisfaction long trails any actual success in their efforts.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

The Zune has a horrible OLED screen. The courier is just vaporwear.

If you love Microsoft so much, then go to a Microsoft forum instead of whining here.

Typical Apple drone. Maybe you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch when someone speaks of the competition, and yet again harping on 2 things I wasn't EVEN TALKING ABOUT

Run along and let people debate something without bringing your fanboy theatrics in here. Some of us here don't blindly pledge our allegence to Apple.