39% of BlackBerry owners say they'd switch to an iPhone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

When I visit my parents in Garfield I've never had issues with reception. Unless you are talking about 3G which I can't confirm 'cause I'm old school. I still have 1st gen iPhone.

For your sake, I hope Tomfoolery is correct with his 60%-chance-of-a-new-iPhone-this-summer prediction as it seems like it's time for you to upgrade.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

What does "PMP" stand for? I gather that "ZHD" means "Zune," but I'm drawing a blank on your other three-letter acronym.

Personal Media Player incase you haven't figured it out already. Or were you being sarcastic?
  • Reply 83 of 100
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

The "survey" is crap designed by a moron. The sample size is a minor problem compared to the survey design. It was designed so poorly it can tell us nothing of use. Take a look at what I posted immediately above to see what I mean.

I consider surveys (and site intercept surveys in particular) to to pretty blunt instruments, but in the hands of unsophisticated surveyors (and interpreters) they are especially so. This survey is just a provocative tool to make people aware of their site intercept survey business.

If the '"survey"' is "crap" as you say it is then what is the intent of your posting that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Most surprising is that 92% of iPhone users are "ready to bail" for another iPhone while simultaneously 24% of iPhone users are also "ready to bail" for an Android!

It's just a survey an item for discussion--I would not go out and buy stocks based upon it.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Been some dissatisfaction in the RIM camp with the Tour I-Tour II with Verizon. My daughter was thinking of a Tour II and read in CrackBerry that some who just bought a Tour I were not happy of the life cycle of the Tour I. Also some OS upgrade issues.

Having come from Blackberry I shall never go back. I had constant issues with the thing and it had a known issue (still unresolved) where if the format of your contacts isn't exactly what Blackberry prefers you get constant duplicates.

In general I just hated that the thing was never reliable. I was on Verizon and it didn't matter that I had coverage everywhere, I still missed tons of calls because the phone itself had major issues. Tried Verizon support but they are useless (Apple Support Rocks The House!!)
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Having come from Blackberry I shall never go back. I had constant issues with the thing and it had a known issue (still unresolved) where if the format of your contacts isn't exactly what Blackberry prefers you get constant duplicates.

In general I just hated that the thing was never reliable. I was on Verizon and it didn't matter that I had coverage everywhere, I still missed tons of calls because the phone itself had major issues. Tried Verizon support but they are useless (Apple Support Rocks The House!!)

Yeh, my daughter's BBC has been rebooting every now and then. When she first got it there was no Mac software available--windows only so she couldn't back it up. She also had some track ball issues and when she was able to replace her BBC with a refurb she still had issues until Verizon gave her a new BBC, but she lost all of her contacts and had to enter them by hand. She now has the Mac software and can back up on her MBP.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

1140 respondents. You can sometimes infer some things from small samples with statistical confidence, but in this case the heavy data splits perhaps gives it too much weight.

If the set were 10,000 respondents the variance would be +/- 3% from that 1140.

Now, 500 likely voters say,..... is a BS poll.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Typical Apple drone. Maybe you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch when someone speaks of the competition, and yet again harping on 2 things I wasn't EVEN TALKING ABOUT

Run along and let people debate something without bringing your fanboy theatrics in here. Some of us here don't blindly pledge our allegence to Apple.

The Courier is 3-5 years away, if it ever surfaces.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Personal Media Player incase you haven't figured it out already. Or were you being sarcastic?

No, I was totally serious. I have never heard that phrase before in my life. What does that mean, anyway? "Personal media player?" Isn't that just an iPod? Why must everything get jargoned up?
  • Reply 89 of 100
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Courier is 3-5 years away, if it ever surfaces.

Not that I was talking about about the Courier to begin with, but numerous sites have stated it's on track and coming in the second half of this year and will be powered by the Tegra 2. I'd rather hold my money out for that than get the jumbo iPod touch...I mean iPad.

Still my interest is held by WP7S and their new setup (engadget and gizmodo have tons of info if you want to read up) and all the announcements coming from MIX2010.

AI seems to have neglected it entirely to post some boof garbage about Jobs tearing a house down and some website that can't even get a good sample size for basic statistics. I figured AI would be jumping at the chance to tear into MS seeing as how similar the platforms will be and accuse them of copying!
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:

AI seems to have neglected it entirely to post some boof garbage about Jobs tearing a house down and some website that can't even get a good sample size for basic statistics. I figured AI would be jumping at the chance to tear into MS seeing as how similar the platforms will be and accuse them of copying!

I think that there is a way, if you are a member that you can start a thread. In the alternative you can ask a moderator if it is possible--ever try?
  • Reply 91 of 100
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rocut View Post

Maybe it's the ability to run multiple applications at once? That's a possibility. Why do you think the next iPhone OS will have that ability? Granted, there are fans of both sides who will not get an iPhone or an Android device, so you have to look at both sides of the argument. A massive number of iPhone users as well said they definitely would not get an iPhone at 41% - which according to the article that's enough to call it "nearly half". However, you did not find this interesting.

Multitasking done right would be nice, but the iPhones other strengths overshadow that for most people.

What you are stating about the survey is incorrect. 41% of iPhone users did not say that they would definitely not get an iPhone. The category was "definitely or probably would buy", not definitely.

First of all 92% of iPhone users said they definitely would or probably would by an iPhone again, 5% said they might or might not, and 3% said they definitely or probably would not buy an iPhone. The most accurate number is 3%, not 41%, which convienently lines up with the percentage of iPhone users that would recommend an iPhone (97%).

What you did was add the percentages of iPhone users that said that they definitely or probably would buy another phone (Android-24%, other smartphone-12%, and regular cell phone-6%), and incorrectly interpreted that as "definitely would not buy an iPhone" which isn't accurate at all. First of all, you ignored the "or probably" part of the statement. Secondly, you made the assumption that people only buy one phone, and if they get another phone, they will not get an iPhone. What you did was manipulate the statistics to reflect what you wanted to see instead of using the data from where they asked the exact question you are trying to address. If we measure android users by the same metric, using your standards for "definitely would not buy", 50% of android users (13+30+7) would definitely not buy an Android phone again, which I'm sure you will agree isn't true.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

If the '"survey"' is "crap" as you say it is then what is the intent of your posting that

"Originally Posted by DESuserIGN

Most surprising is that 92% of iPhone users are "ready to bail" for another iPhone while simultaneously 24% of iPhone users are also "ready to bail" for an Android!"

It's just a survey an item for discussion--I would not go out and buy stocks based upon it.

It is surprising because it is impossible/unlikely. My intent was to point out that the survey is poorly designed because it allowed respondents to make multiple contradictory responses.

Do you really think that at least 16% of iPhone owners (24% - (100% - 92%)) are likely to buy *both* a new iPhone and a new Android Phone tomorrow if they needed to replace their iPhone? If that were true wouldn't they just buy a new Android Phone today and keep their iPhone? Beyond the fact that this is self reporting on theoretical future behavior (which is notoriously non-indicative) allowing respondents to straddle the fence buy giving them contradictory options (or non options, in the case of BB owners) adds noise and uncertainty to the survey and is bad, sloppy practice.

Yes, "its an item for discussion" and that's what I was doing. I was pointing out that the validity of the survey results are very questionable.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rocut View Post

Are you surprised that 24% of iPhone users are ready to bail for the Android as well?

I think reality distortion field cloaked that part of info for him

This is a strange poll, actually, considering that in the last 4 months BB and Android have grown their market share, while iPhone was stagnating. I know that Apple still sells loads of iPhones, but from those charts it seems that at present equal number of people are joining and leaving iPhone.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Do you do a lot of texting? My daughter likes her BB Curve since it's easier to use than an iPhone for texting--she likes the raised keys rather than iPhone's virtual keys--less errors.

I switched from a BB Bold to the iPhone and I am completely satisfied with the network too. I do not miss the keyboard. I am able to text faster and with fewer errors than with the BB and I send about 9,000 text a month.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I switched from a BB Bold to the iPhone and I am completely satisfied with the network too. I do not miss the keyboard. I am able to text faster and with fewer errors than with the BB and I send about 9,000 text a month.

300 messages a day?

Do you sleep..?
  • Reply 96 of 100
    lee1977lee1977 Posts: 11member
    Having both and iphone & a BB, I much prefer the texting and eamialing on the iphone over the bb anyday and if I could get my work email on the Iphone I would ditch the BB without a second thought.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Out of the 1k something users they polled, only 93 were blackberry users.

This has already been discussed on numerous other sites, when you don't have a large enough sample size, your statistics don't mean shit...basic statistics here folks.

In other words, this poll and post are bunk.

Now post something interesting actually, like all the slew of Windows Phone 7 Series info that came out yesterday. Or is AI pissed cause MS is doing it right and can't come up with a negative way to spin the story?

The sample was small and really doesn't say much.

Anecdotally, there does seem to be a lot of evidence that BB users are at least considering a switch to the iPhone. I live and work in the heart of RIM-land. The only people in my office with BB are the ones that got them prior to our company allowing iPhones to be covered. Many of my co-workers have spouses that work at RIM. Each RIM employee is entitled to a free BB, of any model, every 18 months. Only two people here that have spouses at RIM have BB for their personal phones. The rest, that I know of, all have iPhones (one has a pre). Every morning, at either of the two Tim Horton's near the RIM campus, you can see a few RIM employees with their RIM badges and their iPhones. The fact that even a few people that get free BB's (and have a vested interest in the BB) opt to pay for an iPhone say a lot, regardless of statistics.

As far as the the information coming out about Windows Phone 7 Series, it is after all AppleInsider. Obviously any coverage of WP7S will be covered from an Apple enthusiasts point of view. And what are they going to say about it right now? That most of the leaked info shows WP7S is borrowing heavily from iPhone? That many of the complaints that the Windows trolls were throwing about about the iPhone will exist in WP7S (and many have been resolved for the iPhone or are expected to be soon). Things like Apps coming only from the App Store, lack of CnP, lack of user multi-tasking, dependency on Push Notifications, etc. When Apple had these 'limitations' in the iPhone, they were the end of the world. They made the iPhone a joke. They were the reason to not buy an iPhone. Funny how people's opinion of these 'limitations' changes when it is MS instead of Apple.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I think reality distortion field cloaked that part of info for him

This is a strange poll, actually, considering that in the last 4 months BB and Android have grown their market share, while iPhone was stagnating. I know that Apple still sells loads of iPhones, but from those charts it seems that at present equal number of people are joining and leaving iPhone.

Well, no shit BB market share went up. Buy one get one free promos tend to do that. The fact that giving the things away was required to boost market share shows a certain weakness overall. Android grew primarily because of a gigantic marketing push and the release of new models. New models generally result in a blip in growth. Apple hasn't released a new model for almost a year and the last model was at best an incremental upgrade over the previous model a year prior. If the next model is different enough or improved enough, then it will also result in a spike for Apple. The difference will be in how quickly the spikes settle down. Apple has shown an ability to sustain growth with the iPhone longer than some others. And while their market share might be down slightly, their numbers over all are still up.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:

Not that I was talking about about the Courier to begin with, but numerous sites have stated it's on track and coming in the second half of this year and will be powered by the Tegra 2. I'd rather hold my money out for that than get the jumbo iPod touch...I mean iPad.

Basing your purchasing decisions on rumors and conjecture would seem to be a little foolish.

Quote:

Still my interest is held by WP7S and their new setup (engadget and gizmodo have tons of info if you want to read up) and all the announcements coming from MIX2010.

And yet here you are, reading and posting on an iPhone forum on an Apple site. I guess we all get confused sometimes.

Quote:

Perhaps a MS centric site would be a better starting point for looking for WP7S information and discussion. Sort of like going to BestBuy to get information on shoes.

..But, you are right, WP7S does seem to have borrowed very heavily from Apple. I guess you are allowed to like everything about the iPhone now...just from MS instead.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hi Mods!

Say, here's a case in point, re: the recent back and forth on trolling. How bout you ban ifail?

He's exactly the kind of poster we've been talking about-- contributes nothing to the conversation beyond taunting, pimping for "anything but Apple", or running Yet Another List of putative shortcomings of Apple gear (usually in the form of "You mean your precious Apple product that can't x and x and x?").

If we could just clear out a few of this type-- people who clearly have no agenda beyond poking Apple users with a stick-- it would actually be easier to have a serious discussion about stuff Apple doesn't do so well, or voice legitimate concerns. As it is, the ifail type keeps people defensive and quick to push back against anti-Apple rhetoric, since so much of it is coming from people who obviously just want score cheap points (for whatever reasons, honestly the psychology of this eludes me).

Right? It's not about enforcing a pro-Apple stance, it's about allowing reasonable discussion.