Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 248
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

The first generation iPhones had much harder/scratch resistant "glass" than the current production models. I have no idea what the difference in the actual materials may have been. I just sat through a presentation yesterday by a well known Apple author and he said that his first generation iPhone's face did just fine in his pocket, but that the current one scratched after rather little use. He strongly recommended the use of the screen protector.

I would like to hear Apple's reason/excuse for this move. They are making money selling these things and so, even if their official position is that they are not necessary, there is no reason not to sell them. I have never heard of them causing harm to the screen.

Doesn't Apple have better things to do?

Let's have the name of this so-called 'well known' author.
  • Reply 242 of 248
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Let's have the name of this so-called 'well known' author.

Not surprisingly, you are entirely wrong on each and every one of your speculations. You also are lacking in facts. Let's see you provide some for a change instead of your stupid responses that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

• Reply 243 of 248
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    We don't allow personal attacks here. I'm cleaning up up offending RBR & Onhka posts too. Let's not get into insulting people.

Quote:

Not surprisingly, you are entirely wrong on each and every one of your speculations. You also are lacking in facts. Let's see you provide some for a change instead of your stupid responses that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

He did ask for specifics, naming a name, which you dodged without explanation.
  • Reply 244 of 248
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

We don't allow personal attacks here. I'll clean up Ohka's post too.

He did ask for specifics, naming a name, which you are dodging without explanation.

The post to which I responded is plainly an insult, if not an ad hominem attack. I gave him nothing he did not give out (and deserve). If you want to moderate, you might consider either stepping in earlier or being more even handed.

It is interesting that you say this to me, but not him. He provides not facts of any sort whatsoever relating to the subject of the post, whether iPhone and iPod screens scratch and whether there is a reason to use a screen protector.

I will not further dignify his so called response. As to the author, I will not name him because he simply made a recommendation to use a screen protector on the new iPhones/iPods because, unlike his first generation iPhone, the current one had scratched and it would be unfair to throw him into the middle of a peeing contest with the likes of the poster.

Cheers
  • Reply 245 of 248
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

The post to which I responded is plainly an insult, if not an ad hominem attack. I gave him nothing he did not give out (and deserve). If you want to moderate, you might consider either stepping in earlier or being more even handed.

I just got here, the Onhka's post was made about half an hour ago, check the time stamp of the post. I can't watch the forum that closely. I don't know how I or anyone can step in earlier.

I thought I made an indirect comment, I mentioned that I cleaned up his post too. Sorry if you felt singled out.
  • Reply 246 of 248
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet...

My roommate is a former employee, and his take is that Apple wants its employees to be selling, not applying these films. Over the holiday season he said he would regularly put on 10-15 of those things a day for customers who bought iPods. It took me 10 minutes to get mine on and remove all the bubbles and lint, in fact it was pretty frustrating. Employees there are certainly much faster, but it probably adds up during the day.

I tried one for a month on my iPhone before getting rid of it...I think they're fairly useless, more for "peace of mind" than anything.
  • Reply 247 of 248
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I work in a phone store, we sell them and I refuse to touch them, I learnt this a long time ago before the iPhone even came out.

If you buy one put it on yourself it takes too long and is too easy to mess up.

If you do it yourself you aren't going to get pissed off at some store clerk when it doesn't turn out perfect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fandango34 View Post

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet...

My roommate is a former employee, and his take is that Apple wants its employees to be selling, not applying these films. Over the holiday season he said he would regularly put on 10-15 of those things a day for customers who bought iPods. It took me 10 minutes to get mine on and remove all the bubbles and lint, in fact it was pretty frustrating. Employees there are certainly much faster, but it probably adds up during the day.

I tried one for a month on my iPhone before getting rid of it...I think they're fairly useless, more for "peace of mind" than anything.

• Reply 248 of 248
    I can't find a good recommendation for an iPhone 4 Screen Protector. Should I get one by PowerSupport or the Anti-Glare Matte one from ViewGuard? Are they easy to apply? I see ViewGuard sells their high-gloss one for $0.98 and their anti-glare matte one for $0.99. Which is better?